A Hero's Day Off

by Rydia

A Hero's Day Off

I knew the moment I woke up. It was time for a break.
Before I scratched my balls or smoked my cigarette
or watered the flowers outside my window; make no mistake
it wasn't anything personal. I can only express my sincere regret
for what followed on. That it should fall on your day to be saved
that I needed to rest. But I think you'll agree that it had to be done.

I scratched my balls and I knew already, something had to be done
about the mountain of clothes that needed a wash, about the break
in the fence that needed a patch, or the coupons I'd saved.
Nothing but mould in the fridge and on the side my last cigarette
that I smoked as I pissed on the flowers - which I half regret
but it was later, after the screws and the scream that I made my mistake.

My last cigarette in the pack had been smoked. It was a mistake
to think I could function on cravings alone. And after I'd done
and after the flowers I gave it a shake and thought with regret
that I needed to shop. I left with the coupons and left through the break
in the fence, reminded of screws that needed to follow my next cigarette
so I stopped by the house of a man from last week, a man who I saved

from a cigarette fire. It's hard buying cigs when the money you've saved
is from hand-outs or coins or those snack bar machines. An easy mistake
is to think I'm a bum from the was that I rummage or scrummage a quick cigarette
with the hook of my thumb. Resuming my walk to the shop on the corner, I'd done
some thinking about screws and then screwing your grandmother's daughter. A break
you remember, that's what you said. Hardware and hard times but I only regret

that I pissed on the flowers picked from my garden. But I lie, I digress for I also regret
the waking and wanting a break from the boredom. I couldn't count how many I've saved
from drowning or burning; the fire brigade. From guns or fire or knives or each other. Or break-
ing their necks like your sister or brother. Father, daughter, cousin or mother. My only mistake
was hearing the scream, half turning and doubting the thoughts that were churning. I'd done
at the shop and was slowly returning. Back to my house and my break; my next cigarette.

I heard the scream, the sirens and shaking, I stopped. I stopped to light my next cigarette
and thought fuck them and carried on walking. But later I pined and watched with regret
the news on the telly that said you were dead. Deceased, passed over, done
with the living. The bucket was kicked, the daisies were pushed. Your soul was saved
from the mundane oblivion of life on the dole or living with us. My mistake
was hearing the screaming and thinking it might have been you but no, I was mistaken. The break

and the screws had you in my head until I found I'd done it again: smoked my last cigarette.
By the end of the break and the breaking the news I had one last regret
that I pissed on the flowers, that you wasn't saved, that was my last mistake.

______________________________
Alright so this is a sestina.

It's my first attempt at one and the part I'm especially unsure about is the ending. I'd like extra thoughts on that as I'm tempted to break the format for it as I just had so much trouble with the final constraints (the six key words have to be used in a set order, 'done' somewhere in the middle of line one and 'cigarette' at the end, then 'break' in line two and 'regret' at the end, then 'saved' in line three and 'mistake' at the end.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm
Audy wrote a review...

Kitty,

So better late than never, nyeh?

I like the opening to this quite a lot. There's this easy cadence where I get snippets of this character's voice that is really kind of neat and engaging, but it's too clunky, so I'll lose it at times. Like this:

it wasn't anything personal

before I scratched and smoked...what? Make no mistake about...what?

You're leading me on here, but I'm not sure where to.

I can only express my sincere regret

I had to read the above a few times before I understood what you were trying to say -- which if I may say, is an interesting concept: this hero who takes a break. Makes me kind of think how often we might take these guys for granted. And if I may say, it's pretty funny in this dark humorish sort of way (which I love!) but I think in trying to keep with the form, maybe some of the clarity is lost.

What can I say? I stumbled a lot just trying to read this aloud. A lot of awkward phrases. Certain things seem forced too, certain phrasings, like the repetitive "break in the fence" I kept wanting to read "gap" in the fence. That could just be me (and my Americanness)

Throughout, you have these long lines that'll run together, but then you have these short choppy ones that sort of disrupt the flow of thought, I think. Too many "thats", too many lead-ins -- I'm left scrambling for something direct, your nouns, your verbs.

I love this line:

couldn't count how many I've saved
from drowning or burning; the fire brigade.

There are certain "gems" hidden through here that shines through. I just love the sounds there.

As for the narrative, I love the idea of using a sestina as a form for this kind of story. When you think about regrets and such, realistically, it's almost like we, as individuals, will bring ourselves down by repeating our mistakes over and over in our heads - so the repetitive quality of this reminds me of that. I like that. A lot.

Anyway, this needs a bit of work, a bit of polishing around the edges, which I know will not be easy. But kudos for you for writing a sestina, and also for trying to make a narrative out of it @_@ that's tough stuff in and of itself. Your strongest point here is your voice. Talk about character!

~ as always, Audy

Rydia says...

Thanks, dear! And don't worry about being late, I am seriously behind on my reviews at the moment so I totally know how that is. Hopefully I'll find some motivation soon to give this another shot :D xxxx

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hi, Rydia!

I'm sorry for taking a century to get to this. Here I am! Granted, I probably won't have much to say about this piece in particular, I'm terrible with anything poetic and I shamefully had to google 'sestina' because I had no idea what it was. Anyway, onwards!

So, Carlito expressed her thoughts on this and what it meant and I'm glad I was thinking along the same lines so I guess I wasn't completely lost. Good news on my part.

I loved this opening stanza. The last line was a bit of a 'tilt your head in worry' for me because the way it's mentioned gives me feelings that he doesn't nearly regret his day off as much as he could - he had to have his rest, despite the fact that because of this rest, someone had to die. Sort of a 'such is life' moment. Well, that's how I saw it anyway.

There is a bit of a repetition with 'done' in both lines. Dunno if that particularly bothers anyone.

By far, my favorite part of this piece. The realization of what he's done/what's going on. Though, it lacks clarity on exactly 'what' happened. I get this mental picture that he stared a fire in a flower garden. His urine being some sort flammable and dropping his cigarette but that was his garden, not someone's garden and piss isn't flammable...right? Then again, the flowers probably have nothing to do with what happened. Carlito did mention it's disjointed and I will agree with her, but I still like this part.

One line that leaves me a bit confused is the 'breaking their necks like your sister or brother'. Not quite sure that entails because I'm thinking two things. One thought is a bit complex to really put down in words without sounding like a paradox but the other thought is mostly his victims, or the people that he's hurt to save other people (?), are seen in his eyes as other people's brothers or sisters. Therefore, is that him feeling remorse? Or maybe I'm just not making any sense at all.

Okay, overall! I did enjoy reading this and it rounded me back into thinking about our local heroes and all that stuff. I think you could've gone a bit deeper with this, it's a very interesting subject - taken from the hero's point of view and all, but I think the attempt at a 'sestina' had you limited in what you could've done. Still an awesome read and the feelings were there. Good job!

-Pink

Rydia says...

Thanks Pink! Some great feedback here, I think this is definitely one to have another look at some time soon. Thank you!

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 am
Noelle wrote a review...

I'm here to review as requested. Finally *phew*

This is a very interesting poem. I'll be honest and say that I didn't know what a sestina was so I had to google it. You did a good job sticking to the form of this type of poem without making it sound/feel forced. Everything flowed beautifully and it worked well together.

Your imagery is good as well. Since this is more of a story, the imagery isn't very obvious. But it's definitely there and I think you did a good job with that. I also think the speaker leads an amusing life. It revolves around cigarettes and cleaning the house/yard. Sounds fun!

I have a few comments/suggestions/critiques for you. I pray that the codes work and everything I've written shows up perfect. I just found the codes the other day and I'm still getting used to them. Anyway, here you go:

A Hero's Day Off

that I needed the rest. But I think you'll agree that it had to be done.
This first stanza is great. I like the feeling of foreboding I'm getting from this. Especially when you said 'I can only express my sincere regret...that is should fall on your day to be saved that I needed the rest.' While I'm talking about that line, I think you should say '...that I needed to rest'. The way you say it in the poem makes it sound like the speaker needed the rest of something, not that he/she needed rest.
There's so much that you didn't say in this introduction. You did give me some outline however, and now I'm curious as to what is happening. You're drawing me in!

in the fence that needed a patch, or the coupons I'd saved. I know the feeling. There's always too much to do
Nothing but mould should be spelled 'mold'in the fridge and on the side insert comma here my last cigarette
The last few lines in this stanza confuse me. Starting with the "Nothing but mold in the fridge...". It makes sense up until the part where the speaker talks about their cigarette. It just seems like a completely different thing from the mold in the fridge. The two ideas don't go well together.

to think I could function on cravings alone. And after I'd I was done

is to think I'm a bum from the way that I rummage or scrummage a quick cigarette

ing their necks like your sister or brother. I like the transition from the last line to this one. You did a good job fitting 'break' in there to keep with the structure of the poem. Father, daughter, cousin or mother. My only mistake
I've misjudged this person. He/she seems like a nice person, or simply someone who feels the need to keep everyone safe.

I heard the scream, the sirens and shaking insert comma here I stopped. I stopped to light my next cigarette
was hearing the screaming and thinking it might have been you but not, I was mistaken. The break

Overall I give this a 5.8/6. It's not perfect yet, but it's very, very close.

Keep writing! :)
**Noelle**

Rydia says...

Thanks Noelle! You're right on the 'needing to rest' thing, I'll have to make a quick change there, but mould is actually mould in the UK ;) I know, silly languages and their different spellings. Thank you for your kind comments and advice, all very helpful!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:58 am
ImHero wrote a review...

YAYYY, my specialty !

A heroic.. poem? :)

1. I would say that this 'poem' is questionable at being a poem. The two bare bone minimum things in a poem do not seem to be here and that's:
a. One idea to each line
b. Rhythm
-Maybe I would say you got to caught up in making it a sestina and simply the rules got lost in that.

How I suggested fixing:
1.Start over, If you want a sentina, start over. That simple. You can always salvage the message using the same words.

(A) If you choose this then you might want to make each line simpler, carry the message through more lines and try not to compact to many ideas on one line. Never start the middle of the idea on one line; I've only seen it done one time in a positive way (from Poe on The Raven).

What Am I talking about exactly?

for what followed on.

"I can only express my sincere regret
for what followed on"

I wasn't trying to say you can't start with or, you simply cannot disrupt the flow like the quote above. And specifically like above you continue through the poem, makes any rhythm you may have had die.

(B). Make it sound good(/rhythm), being poetic is an art that slips off your tongue. This simply isn't doing it, you have to say it in a way and execute it in a way that all readers will say it very fluently and in a fun way.You don't need rhymes just need to posses the two traits above.

2. You should think about making this 'poem' into a paragraph. I believe it would be better off a paragraph, more freedom to express what your trying to say.

2. Content: The first paragraph you had me, I knew I wanted to read it all. I'm a sucker for character development. When you explain in a way that the hero is basically a human, how he isn't going home to his mansion, but relates to us. How he has been sacrafising to much. We can relate to the hero! It also might suggest, we are all a little hero?

And then this:...
I'd done
some thinking about screws and then screwing your grandmother's daughter.

Deeply saddened.. first of all.. what? I didn't get it? The whole ending.. made me confused and its not good kind of confusion.. It the kind of blurry storytelling confusion.
___________________________________________________
There was a bunch of effort here and I simply wish it had more I liked but I don't like it.. What i do like is that ONE first paragraph.. the rest is I don't even know..

Anyways, I hope it gets clearer. If you do some heavy revisions and you think I did a good job and want me back; simply PM me. I would be MORE then happy to give another one !

Goodbye! Thanks for choosing me as your critic!

Rydia says...

Thanks for the review, Hero! I'll certainly have a good think about your comments, though I don't agree that poetry should always have only one idea on each line. It's actually part of the format of a sestina that lines carry over into each other. But thanks for your comments and I'll keep them in mind when I'm doing revisions :)

ImHero says...

Alright!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hey Rydia!

I realized that I can totally review on my phone and that it could be a seriously great way to spend the next seven hours of my life so here I am :)

I am no poetry expert but this was a very enjoyable read. Even though the story of the poem was pretty dark I loved the rhythm of it and the way the story was told.

Here are my nitpicks:

I really liked this opening. Already from the title I'm trying to figure out what type of hero this individual is and I really liked this introduction of him. It was funny in a way while having this dark undertone because someone died, presumably someone he cared about, on his day off. I also found it interesting that he doesn't seem to feel guilty or upset that someone may have died because of him (even though it was his day off)

I followed this stanza well until this line. I'm a little confused as to what it's trying to say. The screws and the scream is what's throwing me. I don't know what that means or what it's referring to.

And after I'd done
and after the flowers I gave it

I get that as a part of the form you need to have certain words at the end of lines at certain times but this little part sounded odd to me. After you've done what?

The part in bold sounds weird and doesn't make sense to me. Also, I liked this stanza because it shows the darker side to this hero. When most people think of heroes they think of perfect exemplary individuals and this hero seems to be an average run of the mill dude with some darker sides to him.

This stanza makes our narrator sound a little schizo :) His thoughts feel very disjointed like one minute he's talking about how he's a great person and saved many lives and in the next minute he's talking about breaking people's necks. Maybe he has PTSD

that I pissed on the flowers, that you wasn't (weren't) saved, that was my last mistake.

Overall I thought you did a nice job and I really liked it. Parts were hard to follow at times and the inner thoughts felt a little disjointed at times but I think that's largely because you're trying to follow a specific form.

I want to see if I got the story right and followed it correctly. This guy is kind of an everyday hero and saves people that he hears needs help. He decided to take a day off and tries to get some things done around the house and smokes a lot. He thinks about his regrets and past mistakes like peeing in some flowers (or did he pee in the flowers on his day off and later regretted it because of how the day unfolded). Then he finds out that this person he really cared about died that day and he feels partially responsible because he took a day off and couldn't save her (although he doesn't seem to feel That bad).

That's what I got from it :)

I thought the language was very beautiful and it was a written with great description and fantastic tone and style. It was a very creative piece, not something I've really seen before which is sweet too. :)

I feel like this review wasn't very helpful but poetry isn't a strong suit of mine :)

Let me know if you have any questions or if something doesn't make sense! (And if anything of mine that I've written this year that peaks your interest, go for it)

-Carly

Rydia says...

Thanks for the help! Don't worry, any comments are useful to me at this stage and yep, you're pretty much spot on with your interpretation so at least I know the story isn't too vague. I'll definitely add something of yours to my review list, I'll skim through and see what takes my fancy :)

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red