The Roads of Marceris Ch.4 (part 2)

by DudeMcGuy

--------------------------------------------

Juliana lay on her back and stared at the tent’s ceiling as she tried to ignore Radi’s obnoxious snoring. Sleep would not take her, despite how much she longed for it. Her mind dwelt on Lucian for the second straight night. How could I be so stupid and insensitive? She covered her face with her pillow and wished to somehow be separated from her grief.

She knew that at least several hours had passed since the fireside conversation ended in disaster. I must sleep, she thought. But, what should I say tomorrow? What can I--? Her train of thought was interrupted by a noise from outside, and Juliana soon recognized the soft sound from the previous night.

Lucian…

The sound of his weeping seemed to drown out all of the night’s ambient noise, and no matter what Juliana tried; she could not shake the image of him from the night before. She soon felt like crying herself. It’s my fault! she thought. He was already suffering before we met, but now I’ve betrayed him... He’s crying again because of me… Juliana lifted her blanket over her head and covered her ears, but she remained tormented by the memory of her ill advised words to him.

A few moments passed until she decided she would not allow her and Lucian’s sorrow to continue. This isn’t right. I can’t just leave him out there by himself. He needs someone… Juliana sat up and reached for the lantern before remembering she did not have the means or skill required to light it. She crawled towards the exit in silence, looking back to make sure Dyne and Radi were undisturbed as she stood and stepped outside.

Juliana was shocked by the drastic change in temperature as the wind sent a chill through her body. Without delay she crouched down and reached inside the tent to retrieve her blanket. She stood again and wrapped herself with the wool cloth from her cheeks down to her ankles. How can Lucian withstand such cold? she wondered.

With her bare feet becoming colder with every step, Juliana trudged along towards the sound and shivered under the blanket as she crossed her arms over her chest. She put only a short distance between herself and the tent when she came to a sudden halt. I can’t do this alone. She closed her eyes and lowered herself to one knee as she bowed her head and prayed.

Oh Goddess; please help Lucian and I to find peace. Help me to be wise. Let me be an example of your kindness. Help me… to show restraint and understanding to him. And please, touch his heart to help him forgive me. By your power, spirit, and will…let it be done.

Juliana continued towards the same oak tree she and Lucian sat under just several hours earlier. Lucian’s weeping grew louder and softer with no distinguishable pattern. The moonlight illuminated the right side of the tree; and Juliana took caution as she stepped over the roots while pondering what she should say to him. Her mind spun with all the possible negative outcomes until a strange sense of familiarity came over her. She began to recall the trepidation she felt when she approached the same tree earlier that evening. It was odd, yet comforting at the same time.

At last Juliana arrived alongside the tree and reached out her arm to lean against the smooth bark. She heard Lucian to her left, bawling and pounding his fist against his knee. After a brief moment of hesitation she sighed and gathered her courage before revealing herself to him.

“Lucian?” she whispered. “What’s wrong Lucian?” Her unexpected arrival prompted him to wipe his face and look up at her.

“J-Juliana! I’m fine. T-There’s nothing wrong.”

She reached and held his cold hand as she kneeled beside him and stared into his teary, bloodshot eyes. “I’m so sorry Lucian; I didn’t mean to break our promise. Please tell me why you feel so sad.”

“I-I’m not sad,” he sobbed. “I’m fine.”

“No you’re not Lucian. I heard you crying from the tent. Is it because of me? Is it because I broke our promise?”

Lucian rubbed his eyes and spoke to her with urgency, stumbling over his own words. “I’m so sorry Juliana. I don’t know what came over me. I, I didn’t want to shout at you! I didn’t want to scare you! I was just…so angry. Please, please don’t hate me.”

Juliana held his arm with both hands. “I don’t hate you Lucian. I want to help you. Please tell me why you feel this way.”

“I, I just told you,” he said.

“I forgive you Lucian, but there’s something else hurting you. Isn’t there?”

“Something else?” He became calm and took longer periods between breaths as the conversation continued.

Juliana nodded.

“I see. So then last night in the forest, that was you. Wasn’t it?”

He, he saw me?

Juliana stammered as she tried to hide her embarrassment. “I-I’m sorry Lucian! I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop on you! I just heard something in the woods and…and then I saw you and, and I…”

“It’s alright,” Lucian said. “I knew it was you.”

“You did?”

“Yes, well. I didn’t know then, but after today… who else could it have been? You were staring at me in the wagon.”

When did he notice me looking at him?

“And earlier this evening…” His voice trailed off as he lowered his gaze to the ground.

“Lucian? What about this evening?”

“Well, you…you were very kind to me. And you did your best to make me feel comfortable even though…”

“Even though what?”

He let out a brief, nervous laugh. “…Even though I’ve never spoken to a girl before.”

“Oh, Lucian,” Juliana said. “I’ve never really… T-That’s not important.” She flashed a nervous smile. “After all, you’ve spoken to your mother. It shouldn’t be any different.”

“My…mother?

Juliana nodded. “Of course, you said she told you stories every night.”

Lucian looked up at her and burst into tears once again. He bawled and buried his face in his hands as he turned away to hide his sorrow. His cries were louder and even more painful than before she arrived.

W-What did I say? His mother?

Lucian scrambled up to his feet and attempted to leave, but Juliana intercepted him and held onto his right arm as her blanket fell to the ground.

“Lucian?”

But Lucian did not reply as he squirmed in her grip and shook his head. His tears began to leak out from between his fingers and drip down his hands.

“Please talk to me Lucian! If you don’t tell someone why you feel this way you won’t be able to stop!”

“No! No, I can’t!”

Juliana felt him starting to overpower her as he pushed away from the tree. I can’t let him go, she thought as she jumped in front of him. She thrust her palms on his shoulders and pushed him back against the tree, leaning forward with all her strength. “No Lucian! Don’t run! You need to tell someone. Why? Why do you feel like this?”

Lucian placed his hands behind his head and stared at the ground as he slumped down into a seated position against the tree. His despair was eventually reduced to quiet sobbing, followed by a brief period of short, sharp breaths. “I…I'm sorry,” he said as his voice cracked. “I don't know why this happens to me.” He wiped his eyes and let his arms become limp by his sides.

Juliana sat with him on his right. She tried to cover him with her blanket, but he refused and pushed it away. “It’s because you hide your feelings Lucian. My mother told me that showing emotions is how we control them. If you never tell anyone how you feel, then you won't be able to control yourself.”

“I was right about you Juliana,” he mumbled. “You care about me. And you were concerned before you even knew me...I've never met anyone like you before.”

“Lucian, this isn't about me, but I'm here to help you. Please tell me why you’re crying.”

Lucian sniffled and looked at her again. “Alright…I'll tell you. And I don't care anymore if you keep this a secret or not.”

“I swear I won't tell anyone Lucian. I'll never make that mistake again.”

“Well Juliana, the truth is…I never should have told you anything, but it’s not because I don’t trust you. It’s just…for my own safety.”

“I thought so,” she said. “Why did you tell me then?”

Lucian leaned his head back and looked up at the stars. “I think I was trying to…how did you put it?

Control myself? I…I felt like I had to tell someone, but then I…”

“It’s alright Lucian, take it slow again, and don’t feel ashamed of anything. I’ll help you if you need me to.”

“Thank you.” He paused and took a deep breath as he wiped the last of his remaining tears with his thumbs. “My family was whole again when Darius returned to us. Shen-mir became part of our family as well, but we only stayed in Orika for another year…”

Juliana shook from the cold air and covered herself again. “Why did you leave?”

“A young soldier came to our house one day and began to argue with my father. It was something about taxes that I didn’t really understand. But Baldren told me later on that Marceris claimed Orkia as their territory after the war with Riensmer. We thought it was over when the man conceded and left without payment, but then they came for us only two weeks later.”

They?”

“The military; the soldiers of Marceris.”

-------------------------------------------

“Lucian!” Nanami shouted. “Wake up Lucian!”

Lucian awoke to see his mother leaning over his bed, yelling at him as she squeezed his arms and shook him.

“Wake up Lucian!”

“Mother? Why are you shouting?” he asked.

“Get up Lucian. We’re leaving.” Nanami opened the curtain over his head, allowing the dim moonlight to enter through the window and illuminate his bed. She dashed to Lucian’s bedside dresser and tossed a pair of trousers and a light tunic to him. “We have to go. Get dressed right now.” She packed the rest of his clothes into a large bag before moving to Baldren’s wardrobe to do the same.

Lucian leaned forward and looked to his left at his brothers’ empty beds. He cleared his eyes and reached for his clothes as he looked through the window behind him. “But it’s still dark Mother… Where is everyone?”

“They’re outside already.”

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know Lucian!” she shouted. “Just hurry and get dressed please!”

“Y-Yes Mother.” Lucian began dressing himself under his blanket as he watched her stuff the bag with Baldren’s clothes. “When are we coming back?”

“We’re not.” She grabbed him by the wrist and jerked him off his bed and into the hall as he struggled to pull his tunic over his head.

Lucian and Nanami left the house and joined their family outside. Lucian shook her grip and sprinted towards his father, who sat in silence on the grass as he looked towards the east.

The dragons Rey-su and Vaha-ni flanked Arngrim on his far left and right. He held his mighty spear in his left hand as he squinted into the night. It was the first time Lucian had ever seen his father wearing his battle armor.

“Father!” Lucian dropped to the ground at Arngrim’s side. “What’s happening Father? Where are we going?” He glanced to his right to see Darius and Baldren preparing for battle as well. “What are they doing?”

Arngrim set his spear on the ground and turned to Lucian with an unsettling and solemn stare. “Go back to your mother Lucian. Do everything she tells you. Do you hear me?” He kissed Lucian on the forehead and embraced him.

“O-Of course Father, I will.” The warmth of Arngrim’s arms comforted Lucian despite the biting chill of the steel breastplate against his cheek.

Darius slowly approached them from behind, his chainmail rattling against his armor with each step. “Father; Shen-mir tells me we have very little time.”

Arngrim released Lucian and retrieved his weapon as he stood and turned to Darius. “How far are they?”

“Less than half a mile,” Darius answered. “She says we will see them soon.”

Baldren rushed over to them and stuck his spear in the ground as he pointed to the east. “There they are! Look!”

Lucian’s eyes followed his brother’s gesture towards the dark horizon. He saw the silhouette of Shen-mir circling high above the ground as a few small torches crept up from behind a large hill. Within just a few short moments the distant fires multiplied from a dozen to over a hundred.

“W-What is that?” Lucian shouted. He stood and retreated behind Darius as he stared at the now countless bouncing lights.

Rey-su stepped forward and raised his head towards the sky. Lucian covered his ears and closed his eyes as the dragon let out a deafening roar that resounded throughout the entire valley.

“We should have known he was a spy Father!” Darius shouted. “He was nothing like the other tax collectors who came before.”

“You’re right son,” Arngrim said. “With a force that size…they know who we are.”

“But how? How could they know?” Baldren shouted.

Arngrim took three steps out towards the gathering army. He stood still for several moments before he turned around and stared at each of them one by one. He then raised his voice to address them together: “Do not be afraid my sons. We will overcome this.” He looked past them to Nanami, who frantically packed their two horses with various supplies and belongings. “We will be together forever.”

Nanami stopped for a moment and looked at him, but she turned away and began to tighten the saddles.

“Forever,” Arngrim repeated. “We will endure forever!”

Baldren dislodged his spear from the ground and stepped forward. “Father? Why is Mother preparing both horses? Lucian is too young to ride on his own.”

Arngrim approached him and placed his hand on his shoulder. “Listen to me Baldren,” he said. “You must go with your moth--”

“What?” Baldren shouted. “No Father! I can’t! I-I won’t! I must fight with you! I won’t allow these Marcerian scum to take our home!”

“Do as I say son! Your mother needs your strength. Leave the rest to us. Darius, Rey-su, Vaha-ni, and Shen-mir are all with me. We will not fail.”

“But Father, there are hundreds of them! You will need my help as well!”

“No Baldren!” Arngrim shouted. “Your brother and mother are the ones who need you most! I’m depending on you to lead them through the mountains.”

“But Father, I…”

Arngrim let his spear fall to the ground as he placed both hands behind Baldren’s head and stared into his eyes. “Listen closely son. You must guide them through the Aritolla pass at the west end of the valley. Find an inn keeper named Kelles in Gelerad. It’s only two days from here. We will meet you there when this is over. Now go!”

Lucian sensed the disappointment and reluctance in his brother's voice as he accepted Arngrim’s orders. Baldren lifted him onto the horse before mounting behind him and handing his spear over to Darius.

“Take it Brother. It will keep you safe until we meet again.”

Darius nodded and received the steel weapon before he turned away and followed Arngrim into the field.

Lucian, Baldren, and Nanami rode northwest from their home without taking a single glance back. Lucian closed his eyes and clung to the sides of the galloping horse’s saddle; afraid he might fall if he let go. He trembled as Baldren pulled him up and held him close to his body. With his hands free, Lucian covered his ears to ignore the roars of the dragons and the screams of dying men that echoed throughout the valley.

Twit wrote a review...

Hi Dude!

Her mind dwelt on Lucian for the second straight night.

I thought this meant that two nights had passed since the talk by the fire and end of the last chapter, but then I read on and was confused. It runs a bit lopsided anyway, so maybe reword for greater clarity?

Juliana sat up and reached for the lantern before remembering she did not have the means or skill required to light it.

I didn’t notice it before with the fire, but drawing attention to it like this makes me wonder why she can’t light a fire. Surely this would be a serious handicap for her? How does she help out around the house back home? In a world without matches, wouldn’t this be one of the very first skills that she had to master?

With her bare feet becoming colder with every step, Juliana trudged along towards the sound and shivered under the blanket as she crossed her arms over her chest.

There’s a lot going on in this sentence—feet getting colder, she trudging along, shivering, crossing her arms. It might be better if split up or condensed.

She put only a short distance between herself and the tent when she came to a sudden halt. I can’t do this alone. She closed her eyes and lowered herself to one knee as she bowed her head and prayed.

I like this. I’m always interested in how religious people are portrayed in fiction, and too often they’re pigeonholed into psychotic serial killer or wimpy weirdo. This is a nice change. :)

At last Juliana arrived alongside the tree and reached out her arm to lean against the smooth bark. She heard Lucian to her left, bawling and pounding his fist against his knee.

“Bawling” brings to mind spoiled toddlers. “Weeping” is more dignified, “sobbing” is more passionate, but “bawling” destroys the tone.

She flashed a nervous smile.

To me I always associate “flashing a smile” with confidence. Like, Flynn Rider would flash a smile when he’s trying to charm the pants off you, not when he’s nervous.

It could be my inbuilt cynicism, but this is an awful lot of crying. That may sound mean, but he’s crying loud and often and it’s a bit much. Like in The Odyssey—Odysseus is always bursting into tears and it really got on my nerves because it’s meant to show that’s he’s incredibly manly and full of manly emotion, but to me it showed the very opposite. So I’m not saying Lucian’s a wimp, just that he’s doing a lot of crying.

This is another of those sentences where there’s too much going on. I think it’s saying “this happened as X happened”. It makes X seem like an ongoing thing when it shouldn’t be. You’ve got “leaning” “yelling” and “squeezed” all at once and it’s too much.

---
Io!

The flashback was done well, not dropped in like a ten ton weight. ^_^ There were maybe a few more nitpicks regarding prose in this section, but mostly about sentences, which were more cluttered here. You don’t have to keep it at one happening for one sentence. Like the bit with Lucien’s mother waking him up—there’s Lucian waking up, which should be in a sentence all its own to maximise its importance, and his mother’s shaking him and yelling at him and waking him up, which shouldn’t be shoved it altogether, otherwise it lessens the impact. He’s being woken up in the middle of the night and forced to flee his home, so you need to make it punchy but not rushed.

PM or Wall me if you have any questions! :D

-twit

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 am
Shady wrote a review...

...Resuming review...

I like how this chapter smoothly transitions from the last part's ending (which, I forgot to mention there, was good; it enticed me to read on.)

"Juliana sat up and reached for the lantern before remembering she did not have the means or skill required to light it."~ I like this. I reminded me of Lucian helping her light the fire; helping her to escape being tormented. It's drawing my emotion in; making me feel sorry for Lucian, because obviously he's a good guy for helping Juliana. :)

"...Without delay she crouched down and reached inside the tent..."~ 'Without delay' is stiff too...

"...Lucian sat under just several hours earlier."~ 'just', in my mind at least, means a short period of time; and 'several' means a good while. I know what you mean here; but I think that just 'just hours' would suffice.

"Juliana sat with him on his right."~ This, while technically correct, is a bit misleading. It could easily be assumed that it was a typo, and that you meant that "Julaina sat, with him on her right." Instead of Juliana sitting on his right side. Perhaps rephrase?

"“The military; the soldiers of Marceris.”"~This is good, builds suspense. Makes your readers gasp, thier eyes wide, as they quickly type this praise so they can get to your flashback.

Wow! I like the flashback! :D

You did well capturing the terror young Lucian felt, and, again, ended it in such an enticing manner I'm annoyed I don't have time to read chapter 5 tonight. Grr. :P

Great job!

~Shadow

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green