z

Young Writers Society



The Forest Campers

by ShadowKnight155


This is my response (and example), to one of my writing prompts.

(Thread with more prompts: http://youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94835)

Here's the prompt:

[spoiler]

Basic Nature Scene Description

Imagine yourself alone in nature. Describe the landscape, the atmosphere. The world should flow, and it should be somewhere like a forest or plains. This is not really supposed to be about you, but the best way I believe it could be viewed in a writers perspective would be to imagine yourself there. Don't talk about walking around, but describe the scene as it appears to a higher being or movie camera.

[/spoiler]

Yes this does stray from the prompt, but I was prompted and ran, if you will. :P I was surprised when I took on the first person with present tense. This actually takes place in a bigger plot, if that's not obvious.

---

The creeping wind approaches. Slowly the leaves barricade themselves. Now the shockwave is here. The breeze crosses my legs. A rustling trickles downwards from the sky and soon all the leaves are dancing. I can see my breath. It is cold, and the world is quiet. The others are sleeping. The tents walls bulge and subside. The truck is grounded and covered nearby. There is no fire; they'd see it.

The cluttered floor of the forest flows forever. Various shades between green and brown, in various levels of decay from then and now. Looking around reveals the trucks shape. My footsteps approach casually. Around us, the forest and the world was asleep. Some of the leaves and foliage from around the truck has been blow away, revealing bleak spots of the black paint. Dirt now covered just about every inch. Bullet holes covered the back and sides. The back window had been torn out long ago and replaced with a protective shielding. The doors were further armored on the inside. If bullets could not penetrate it, neither could the forest.

After pushing aside the leaves and such that covered the passenger door, I climbed in. I peered behind the front seat. Her laptop was back there. The extra power core. The katana. The weapons crate. Then, in the center, just the sight of it. It gives me chills. The little black box. A tactical nuke just sitting in the back of our transport truck. A civilian car, completely gutted and refitted in the name of revolution. Was it terrorism or revolution? Did the leaves above support us? They couldn't even support a rain drop. Was the thought provoked by the now falling rain? Drops hit the roof. The noise of water droplets on plastic had a feeling of familiarity. I take the gun from under the passenger seat and holster on my belt.

Time to move.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 3055
Reviews: 66

Donate
Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 am
Angelreader77 wrote a review...



Hi there!

I rather liked this piece. It's amazing how you've conveyed so much of what was happening and the character's emotions in 3 paragraphs. It didn't feel to fast or slow.

What bothered me the most when I started reading the piece was the length of the sentences. The were all short sentenced and sounded like a drone. It felt rather choppy. It's always better to have a mixture of long and short sentences, creating a nice balance and flow.
But later I thought the choppiness sort of worked, creating this tone. I wouldn't advise starting off like that, considering it has the ability to put the reader off.

You describe well. It painted nice, pretty images in my mind which I think everyone likes. The personification worked really well too.

Your third paragraph felt totally different from the rest. There were a lot of questions and what lay in the truck just plain confused me. A katana beside a laptop? That picture didn't fit that well into my mind. It just doesn't seem real. The rain was a nice touch.

The ending feels something like a cliffhanger, even when it's not. The piece raises lots of questions in the readers' minds even with its short length. Tiny questions like who is this person? Where are they? I rather like the effect the piece leaves; this tingling feeling to know more.

Keep writing!
Angel




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 7963
Reviews: 57

Donate
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:13 am
Celdover wrote a review...



Hello there.

I must say, I actually enjoyed reading this piece, which I found a bit strange since I tend to dislike choppy narration and favor long, flowing lines of texts peppered with commas, conjunctions, and other necessary punctuation marks (can you tell?). But I suppose reading about your prompt and the purpose of this piece put me in a different frame of mind, kind of like how one approaches a novel and short story differently. Besides, reading a purely descriptive piece is fun.

I think that one of the biggest reasons why I feel like the choppy sentences works is because of how it sets up the tone. While I was reading I felt like I was looking at the mind of someone focused only on survival and looks at everything in rapid succession for a threat. This established an intense tone, the reason for which was explained at the end. So yes, really liked the set up for this piece. I also liked that the sentences, while short, didn't have a repetitive structure, which saved this piece from being wooden and boring.

I also liked how you described the surroundings. It's clear you put a lot of effort into using just the right words, and I particularly enjoyed the personification of the wind and leaves in the beginning. I thought that the way you described the wind as creeping and leaves as dancing was appropriate, and I felt like the forest was actually alive instead of simply being a backdrop. I was continuously engaged throughout this piece with your description, so as a purely descriptive piece I consider it a success.

I just have one minor nitpick. I think the katana in the truck seems a little out of place. Maybe there's a story behind it, but it just seems a little strange that a group would be carrying such a specific Japanese sword with them. I guess I don't understand why you chose to specify a katana instead of going with a more general term for a bladed weapon.

All in all I really enjoyed this short and simple piece and its descriptive style. Would I enjoy the same descriptive method for something like a novel? Probably not since the choppy sentences might be more annoying in a long work. But for a work as short as this one I think you used it quite well to bring life to the setting and set up the tone for your work.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

--Dover





I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies