Zegentia: The Roads of Marceris Ch.3 (Part 1)

by DudeMcGuy

Here is Chapter 3...part 1

Chapter 3 – Lucian

Why is he suddenly so cautious? Juliana wondered. What could he be suspicious of? I only asked why he was traveling to Melliark.

Lucian continued to carefully inspect the surrounding area until he finally sat down next to her again. He held both hands behind his head and hesitated to take off the bandana, sighing and closing his eyes as he shook nervously.

“It’s alright Lucian,” she said. “I’m the only one here.” She reached out and gently placed her hand on his knee.

“I…I know,” he replied. Lucian slowly lowered his head and removed his headband. He flung the red cloth over his right shoulder and looked up at her, revealing a strange circular marking on his forehead.

What? What is that? Juliana grimaced and quickly pulled her hand away as she gazed at the odd design. That symbol, it’s been branded on his skin! A thin, raised layer of brown and red flesh outlined a circle directly below his hairline. Additional dark lines of scar tissue formed a triangular pattern around the brand and streaked down to the base of his brow.

“Do you know what this is Juliana?” He pointed to the burns with his left index finger.

“Uh, n-no.”

“This is the mark of a dragoon. My father branded it on me when I was very young. It is the symbol of someone who is born to live alongside the dragons. That is who I am to become.”

Juliana sat in awe of what he told her, wondering if it could really be true. She even felt afraid of Lucian for a brief moment as she recalled the violent scenes in her grandfather’s storybook. Dragoons and dragons were myths to her, things as real as a passing dream. But now she was face to face with someone who claimed to be the truth in her fiction. His terse explanation was not enough to satisfy her curiosity.

“Become? So you do not own a dragon yet?”

Lucian responded to her sternly. “A dragon is never owned by anyone. They are their own race, much older and wiser than we are. The dragoon pact must be accepted by both man and Great Serpent alike, but I have not reached the age required.”

“I, I see. Please forgive my ignorance.”

“There is nothing to forgive Juliana. Most humans have never even seen a dragon. It is expected for you to know little or nothing of them.”

Juliana looked ahead and stared at the moon as the leaves fell near her feet. “I never imagined that dragoons and dragons could really exist. So…why are you headed for Melliark? Is the capital an important place for your people?”

“Far from it,” he answered quickly. “The nations of this world have secretly persecuted the dragoons for thousands of years. Their fear of dragons has made us the enemy by association; they hate what they do not understand. Your king wouldn’t hesitate to have me hung if he discovered my heritage.”

Why is he telling me this? I’m from Marceris. Does he not consider me his enemy as well?

“Why would you go there then?” she asked. “Why place yourself in such danger?”

“Well, I’m looking for someone.”

“Who? They must be very important if what you say is true.”

Lucian lowered his head and folded his hands over his nose and mouth. He began to take deep breaths and wipe his eyes as he answered softly. “I, I’m looking…for my brother.”

This must be it, Juliana thought. He was so forthcoming just a moment ago, but now he’s become uncomfortable again. He’s trying to conceal his emotions from me. Something to do with his brother saddens him.

Juliana leaned closer to him and smiled. “Oh, your brother? How old is he?”

“Well, he’s seven years older than me, he’ll be twenty five in a few months,” he said as his voice trailed off.

Juliana was initially surprised when she learned of Lucian’s age. His gentle appearance and coy behavior led her to believe that he was younger, but his strong physique reminded her of Radi.

“So you have an older brother as well!” She laughed softly to comfort him. “We have something in common after all!”

Lucian chuckled along with her. “Yes, it seems we do.”

“Where will you meet him?” she asked.

“W-Where?”

Juliana nodded and smiled.

He frowned and cast his gaze on the ground between his legs. “Well, I’m n-...I don’t know exactly where he is.”

“Oh, how will you find him then? Melliark is the largest city in the entire kingdom.”

Lucian let out another deep sigh. “I’m sorry Juliana, it’s difficult to explain.”

Juliana sensed him becoming more and more distant with each additional question she asked him. He wants to tell me something, but he’s afraid of what might happen if he does. All I can do is reassure him that I’m worthy of his trust. She gently placed her hand on the headband resting on his shoulder. She startled him with her touch, and he looked up at her apprehensively.

“It’s alright Lucian,” she whispered. “I won’t tell anyone, you can trust me.”

“You really mean that? Not a word to anyone?”

“Of course, your secret is safe. I swear it.”

“A-Alright then, how can I say this?”

Juliana moved away to set him at ease. “Take as long as you need. Do whatever is simplest for you.”

“I’m not sure where to begin,” he said.

“Hmm, well...where are you from?” she asked. “What is your family like? It may be easier to start from the beginning.”

Lucian did his best to control his stuttering as he began to explain his story to her. “The dragoons have always chosen to live isolated from other humans, but his led many to hate us because of our association with the dragons. Many years ago, before I was born, the last remaining dragoon settlement was attacked. The village of Miien was burned to the ground by the soldiers of your country. My father and mother were the only two who escaped the massacre of that night.”

Oh goddess, is this true? Juliana wondered. Do the Elentien secretly wish to destroy the dragoons? But they’re people just like us. Why is there no mention of dragoons in the Aeda?

Lucian paused and gathered himself before he continued. “My parents told me of the horror they witnessed as children, which I would rather not repeat. They then wandered across Marceris for ten years before they settled in the Orika valley.”

“Orika?” she asked. “I’ve never heard of any land by that name.”

“Few have Juliana, and that is why my parents chose to live there. It’s a hidden valley that lies deep within the Volek mountain range to the south.”

“Oh, I know of the Voleks. They’re the natural border for Marceris and Riensmer.”

“Yes, that’s right. We lived there in peace because it was considered a neutral land. My parents refused to have our loyalty tied to any kingdom.” Lucian smiled and folded his headband as he described Orkia to her. “It is a beautiful valley with green rolling hills and shallow streams running down from the mountains. I…I grew up there as the youngest of three brothers.”

“Are they, um, branded as well?” she asked.

“Yes. My eldest brother Darius chose to be branded on his chest. And Baldren was marked on his left palm.” Lucian pointed to the symbol engraved on his forehead. “I chose to be branded here, like my father.”

Juliana listened carefully as Lucian rambled on and on describing the dragoon lifestyle to her. She understood most of it easily, such as the hunting of wild animals and daily chores and tasks. But some of their customs were so abstract to her, so far from her worldview, that she found them difficult to relate with. He spoke with great enthusiasm, and it was clear to Juliana that he greatly enjoyed recalling his past.

She learned that Lucian’s parents both made the dragoon pact before they had any children. They hiked three days east from Orika to Ragamsol peak, the highest mountain in all of the Voleks. The dragons living there had been associated with their clan for many generations, and two of the great serpents returned with them to their home in the valley.

Lucian’s father, Arngrim, followed his own father’s example and became a blacksmith to support the family. He traded his weapons to the soldiers patrolling the mountains for useful materials and equipment such as clothing, arrows, satchels, and other goods. Arngrim’s reputation as a master craftsman soon spread across the entire continent; and the family was careful to hide any evidence of their dragoon heritage from the warriors who came to visit them.

“What about the dragons?” Juliana asked. “Wouldn’t the soldiers see them living with you?”

“Dragons can sense a human’s mind from a great distance away, so we were never taken by surprise. They would simply fly away and wait for the strangers to leave before returning to the house.”

“I see,” she said. “I’m sorry to ask so many questions. I’ve only read about dragons in children’s books.”

“It’s strange,” he said. “I…I’ve never spoken so freely about my past to anyone like this.”

He’s still very reluctant. I’ll need to ask more if I’m to help him.

“Lucian, did your father create the spear you gave to my grandfather?”

“No. His work is far superior to that imitation. I wish I could show you the spear he forged for himself. He spent over a week refining it shortly after I was born. Eight feet of iron, steel, and bronze alloy melted together…a weapon worthy of a king. My brothers would often sneak into my parents’ bedroom just to admire it.”

“It sounds incredible.”

Lucian continued to speak fondly of his days in Orika with a wide smile displayed on his face.

Juliana tried her best to understand his story despite her limited knowledge of what he described. He was particularly excited and detailed when telling her about the first time he accompanied his parents on a hunting trip deep into the valley.

He stayed a safe distance away and watched intently as his mother and father worked in tandem with the dragons to encircle and trap the prey. The serpents flew high above the wild animals and communicated the creatures’ movements directly to their comrades’ minds. At night, Lucian lied awake near the campfire and listened to his mother’s tales of the legendary dragoons of the past. He loved each story she told him, but his favorite was the account of the first dragoon.

“So that’s when you memorized the story?” Juliana asked.

“Yes. I believe I was seven years old or so…” He let out a joyful laugh. “Rey-su let me climb on him back then. It was so fun,” he said enthusiastically.

“Rey-su? Is that the dragon bonded to your mother?”

“No. My father made a link with Rey-su and my mother with Vaha-ni. They were both earth dragons.”

Juliana sighed and gave him a confused look as she scratched her head.

“You see Juliana, earth dragons have no elemental attribute, but they grow very large and strong from an early age.”

Juliana had difficulty following his explanations of dragons and the nature of the pact his parents shared with them, but after questioning him further she learned that all dragoon children were branded when they turned five years old. They were then sent alone to scale Ragamsol peak on their twentieth birthday. Both the human and dragon gained enhanced physical abilities from their connection, and the magical bond could only be broken when one of them was deceased.

Lucian told her that the strength his father gained from the bond with Resh-nu allowed him to leap twice the height of the tree they sat under. His claim amazed Juliana and fueled her curiosity even further.

She interjected when he stopped to take a breath, “Um Lucian? I’m sorry to interrupt, but are you traveling to Melliark to meet Baldren or Darius?”

Lucian’s smile disappeared. “Baldren,” he said quietly.

His mood changes so drastically whenever I mention Melliark. I can’t let him dwell on that, I should let him come to it on his own.

“Oh, did your brothers ever climb the mountain and find a dragon?” she asked.

“Yes…my older brother Darius…I, I was only ten…”

Juliana felt uneasy as Lucian told her about the day his brother departed for Ragamsol. There was no longer any joy or nostalgia in his words, his body was cheerless and his eyes gazed at the ground once again.

“He had difficulty sleeping for several nights before his birthday; and I wondered why we did not give him any gifts in the morning…”

---------------------------------------------------

“He’s leaving now Lucian,” Arngrim said. “Come; let us see him off together.”

Lucian dashed past his father and out of the bedroom, dropping his wooden toy figurines on the floor. He nearly tripped over his own feet as he ran down the hallway and out the front door. His mother and two older brothers stood outside the house, along with the two earth dragons.

“Lucian!” his mother shouted. “Where is your coat?”

“I don’t need it!” he said as he ran towards Darius, his bare feet sliding on the wet grass. He sprinted into his brother’s arms as Darius lowered himself to one knee. The two embraced each other as their mother continued to scold Lucian.

“It’s too cold to be outside with nothing covering your back,” she said. “Go back and find--”

“Nanami!” Arngrim shouted from the house. “Let it be for now, I will talk to him afterwards.” He closed the door behind him and joined them in the field.

Nanami shook her head as she handed Darius his pack.

Darius held the bag over his shoulder and embraced each member of his family.

“Goodbye Darius,” Lucian said. “Come back soon!”

“I will Lucian,” Darius said with a smile. “The first ride is yours when I return.” He removed his iron spear from the ground behind him and waved goodbye with his empty hand as he headed east towards Ragamsol.

Lucian turned to his father’s dragon. “Rey-su!” he shouted as he extended his arms towards the creature. His father lifted him onto the dragon as it lowered its head to the ground.

The group watched as Darius slowly ascended a distant hill and disappeared into the morning fog. Lucian shouted encouragement to his eldest brother from atop Rey-su, and his voice echoed throughout the valley. Both his family and the dragons were silent as they waved goodbye.

They returned to the house one by one until only Lucian and Baldren remained. His brother had not spoken or moved since Darius departed.

“How long will he be gone?” Lucian asked.

But Baldren ignored him and continued to silently stare to the east.

Lucian reached out to hold his brother’s hand. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Get back!” Baldren snapped. He swatted Lucian’s hand away and distanced himself. “Please, leave me alone for a while Lucian.”

Shocked by his brother’s sudden outburst, Lucian turned away and headed back to the house; it was only then that he felt cold from the chill of the air against his bare arms and chest. He took only five small steps towards his home when he heard his mother scream from inside.

“No Arngrim!” she shouted. “Please! You can’t!”

Lucian dashed inside the front door to see his mother on her knees, crying hysterically on the dining room floor. She clung to the legs of Darius’ chair, which Arngrim appeared to be removing from the room.

His father released his grip on the seat and kneeled down beside her. He gently lifted her chin and guided her eyes to his own. “Nanami, look at me. We both knew this day was inevitable. We must continue with every tradition if our clan is to survive…even those that pain us.”

Lucian rushed to his mother’s side. “What’s wrong Mother? Are you hurt? Did you fall? Why is Father taking Darius’ chair away?”

His mother continued to cry and turned away from him as Arngrim helped her stand. They slowly walked to the table and sat down together.

Lucian followed behind them and tugged on his father’s tunic. “What happened Father? Why is she crying?”

“Sit with us Lucian,” he said. “I’ll tell you what troubles her.”

“No Arngrim,” Nanami pleaded. “He’s too young!”

“We must tell him,” he said. “He’s old enough to know, and it’s best that he learns today rather than in the future.”

Lucian sat down at the end of the table next to his parents. “Old enough to know what Father?”

Arngrim reached out and held his son’s hand. “Lucian; you know that the people of this world despise us. They hate the peace and tolerance we represent.”

“Yes. Mother told me that there were many dragoons long ago.”

“That’s right son; there were many dragon clans as well, but...those days have come and gone.”

“I know father,” Lucian said. “We’re all that’s left. It’s all Darius and Baldren ever talk about.”

Nanami suddenly let out a loud cry as Lucian mentioned Darius’ name.

Arngrim stood from his seat and leaned over her, embracing Nanami from behind and whispering into her ear. He then turned his attention back to Lucian once she was calm.

“Lucian, the dragons of Ragamsol are the last of their kind also. They were driven from Orika hundreds of years ago, and our enemies still seek to destroy them today…Because of this, they cannot allow anyone to leave the sacred mountain without one of their own.”

“I don’t understand Father, why would a dragoon leave without a dragon?”

Arngrim sighed and walked over to Lucian. “Because not all of us are accepted by them.”

“W-What?”

“The elder dragon of Ragamsol has the power to see into a human’s heart. She judges us and determines whether we are worthy of the pact.”

“Worthy?” Lucian asked. “How do we become worthy?”

“None are certain son, but some believed the dragon can see the essence of our spirit. Either way, those who are unworthy can never bond with them. In ancient times, those less fortunate were allowed to return to their clans and families, but all of that changed when one of our own betrayed the dragons.”

“Jeren the traitor,” Lucian said.

“Hmm, it seems your mother has already told you of him.”

“No, Baldren only told me his name yesterday.”

“I see…Well, that man was declared unworthy by the elder dragon and sent back to his home. But his clan was very superstitious of the dragon’s judgments, and his own family requested he be banished from the settlement. Jeren’s heart was filled with rage and jealousy; and he later returned to his village and killed his own brothers and sisters. He then marched with the armies of our persecutors into the valley and nearly succeeded in eradicating the dragon clans. The Great Serpents vowed to never make the same mistake again.”

“Mistake? I don’t understand Father.”

“Listen closely Lucian; I will not repeat this to you.” Arngrim sat down once again and stared at Lucian; his voice reflected both sadness and concern. “Those who are unworthy of the pact are not allowed to leave the mountain. They…They are killed and devoured by the elder dragon.”

Lucian sprang from his chair. “N-no! It can’t be!” he shouted.

“I am sorry son, but it is the truth.”

“No! Then, Darius! Darius he--”

“Lucian,” Arngrim said sternly. “This will not be easy for any of us, but you are to never mention him or speak his name again unless he returns to us.”

Nanami wept softly as Arngrim informed Lucian of what his mother already knew.

“N-no I…he must return Father! He promised me he would!”

“He had no right to say such a thing. I told him of the risk years ago.”

“And still he chose to…What about Baldren? Does he know?”

Arngrim nodded. “He does.”

Lucian quickly turned and opened the window behind him. He saw Baldren standing alone in the same position, still gazing into the gray horizon.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 am
Rubric wrote a review...

As is my wont, I’ve begun with the particular, and moved to the general.

"sighing and closing his eyes as he shook nervously"
there's a tense issue here, though you might be able to get away with it: between “sighing/closing” and “shook”.

“That symbol, it’s been branded on his skin!”
This doesn’t really need to be directly relayed to the reader, but could be reported as “the symbol had clearly been branded into his skin.”.

“things as real as a passing dream”
I’d expect the relation between realness and a passing dream to be a contrast rather than a comparison. Thus: “things no more real than a passing dream.”

“They are their own race”
I like this idea, but I’m wondering it would be improved or lessened as “they are their own people” or “they are a people/race apart”

“I, I see.”
You’ve traditionally used elipses for this kind of stammering.

“It is expected”
Passive voice, without a subject, but I tend to forgive this more than some.

““I, I’m looking”
As previous. Is this a way to reduce the number of elipses?

“the warriors who came to visit them”
It makes sense that local warriors might travel the distance to buy weapons from this master smit, but it also seems likely that an enterprising merchant would hear about this isolated market, and buy up a lot of his produce: shipping it to a major commercial centre and trading it at a larger profit. I’d expect this rather than warriors travelling away from the large population centres where they’re likely employed/garrisoned, and seeking out the smith.

“over a week refining it”
As I understand it, refining usually refers to the process of treating an ore, whereas tempering refers to treating the strength of an iron-alloy during the process of crafting an item. “tempering” thus might be a superior word-choice here, as it’s more specific and descriptive.

“earth dragons have no elemental attribute”
An interesting choice, as many would consider earth to be an elemental attribute, and strength or fortitude to be an appropriate expression of it.

““Jeren the traitor,”
Sounds almost like a title; probably worth the capitalisation.

I’m liking the extreme harshness of the one particular dragon tradition: cultural complexities like that add a sense of depth, especially when rooted in historically rooted fears or prejudices. I’d like it even more if the “spirit-reading” was flawed or limited in some way, but that’s a personal affectation on my part for a grey and gray moral complexity, rather than a black and white one.

I’m liking the fleshing out for the dragoons here, looking forward to what I see in later chapters.

Cheers,

Rubric.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:40 am
PatriciaTina wrote a review...

Hey there! I it took this long again, but I'm finally here!

You wanted me to focus a bit more on the dialogue, so I'll just start with that right away.

So, the first thing I noticed about the dialogue is that it's still quite choppy. I can tell that you're trying to add some personality through the speaking patterns, but it's not quite there yet. For example, this isn't really that big of a problem in this chapter, but in your previous part you have your characters - namely Lucian - stuttering and saying "um" a lot.

While this does make sure the reader understands that he's nervous and stammering, it makes the flow of the piece awkward and even a bit annoying to read. Nobody wants to have to have all these filler words and stutters in dialogue, because they're completely unnecessary.

One way you could establish this aspect without having it within the dialogue would be to add dialogue tags and descriptions. For example, let's look at this quote from chapter 2:

“Y-Yes, go ahead,” he said. “I . . . I do not mind.”

Right now, we have this awkward piece of dialogue that kind of gives the idea that there's something seriously wrong with this guy. It's such a harsh way of introducing the stutter that we don't feel like someone in real life could do this as well unless they have a mental disability.

Something like this might be better instead:

"Yes," he stuttered as he spoke as if unused to actually talking, "go ahead, I do not mind."

When you establish the stutter through the descriptions, it creates prose that flows much better, and on top of that is much easier to read. You might want to add the descriptions of the stuttering to any dialogue you want to stick out, just to make sure that your readers know that he is nervous as he's talking to her, even a bit unsure of what he's doing.

Moving on, another thing I noticed about this chapter in particular is that you're dumping a ton of information on us in a really short time. You seem to be trying to develop this plot way too fast, and that's a bit of an issue because it's just too much to throw at us in such a small time period. (Not to mention, it's a bit odd for this kid to be bearing his soul to a person he's only met a few days ago. I mean, I realize that he's really nervous about this all, but is it really realistic for him to trust her with his life story so quickly? Expand on this a bit more, give us a reason to believe that they would actually do this.)

Now, what I would suggest you could do is go through and make a list of the information you want us to know. This is where planning would be a good idea. You want to have a bit of an outline depicting where you want to take this story. What do you want to happen to the characters? What do they need to know and when do they need to know it?

That last question is going to be the really important one. This all seems to be important information, but does Juliana need to know it all right away? Another thing that could happen is that she could forget what he's told her - and your readers could too. There's just way too much information to throw at us at one time, so you need to stagger it throughout the story.

I hope that makes a bit of sense, but if you need some more tips on how to not info-dump, I found a really good article here: http://www.fiction-writers-mentor.com/info-dump.html Hopefully that helps as well!

Those are the two biggest things I thought I should talk about. As I've said before, I still thing you have a really good plot-line here, it just needs a bit of smoothing and touching up. Good luck, and I'll do my best to get to the second part ASAP!

~ Patricia Tina

Ps. As always, please ask if you have any comments or if anything didn't make sense, I really do hope this helps! :D

Twit wrote a review...

Hi Dude!

His terse explanation was not enough to satisfy her curiosity.

This is a great leap from thinking dragons didn’t exist to asking why Lucian doesn’t have one. I’d expect more disbelief, more “So are they like in the stories? What do they look like? Have you ever seen one?”

This sounds too formal. How many people actually say, “There is nothing to forgive”? It’s more realistic to say “Hey, that’s alright. No one knows anything about dragons anymore.”

Juliana looked ahead and stared at the moon as the leaves fell near her feet.

She’s looking up cause the moon is up, but the leaves are around her feet which are on the ground... She could be looking up at the moon and seeing the leaves falling from the branches, but up at the moon and down at her feet at the same time is disorientating. ^_^

Something about this feels off. As though he’s breathing deeply, wiping his eyes and speaking softly all at the same time... I think it’s too much. His actions in the previous sentence are good: subtle but showing, so I think you could/should nix the bolded part and leave the first sentence and “he answered softly” as they’re good.

“Where will you meet him?” she asked.

“W-Where?”

“Chuckled” sounds too light-hearted. A moment ago he was very emotional, and “chuckled” sounds too happy. Then the stammer is back, making it sound like he’s hiding something. I don’t think he *is* hiding anything, but the stutter and repeating her question makes it sound like he’s stalling for time.

He frowned and cast his gaze on the ground between his legs.

...That’s an odd place to look. You know. :mrgreen:

Juliana sensed him becoming more and more distant with each additional question she asked him. He wants to tell me something, but he’s afraid of what might happen if he does. All I can do is reassure him that I’m worthy of his trust.

How does she know this? It seems like a big leap to make. Maybe his reticence means he doesn’t want to tell her anything and he wants her to shut up and go away. This is like shifting the POV again—Juliana can’t really know what’s going on in Lucian’s head, she can only make a good guess, and having her definitely state things comes off wrong.

Lucian did his best to control his stuttering as he began to explain his story to her. “The dragoons have always chosen to live isolated from other humans, but his led many to hate us because of our association with the dragons.

Typo. And mentioning the stutter in such a pointed way makes me wonder about it. Why does he stutter so much? Is it a proper speech impediment?

This feels too much like clumpy exposition. You’re too obvious telling us stuff—and do we really need to know the exact location? Lucian says in the very next part that it’s neutral, which is all we really need to know.

Lucian smiled and folded his headband as he described Orkia to her. “It is a beautiful valley with green rolling hills and shallow streams running down from the mountains.

It’s kind of redundant to tell us this, as it’s obvious that that is what he’s doing in the next bit.

Too many tags. Nix the last one as it sounds awkward.

---
Hi!

The last part with Lucian’s flashback was by far the best part. There was real emotion there, and it’s an interesting dramatic development that I look forward to seeing explored. The rest of this chapter was better and a lot closer in POV to Juliana, although there were a few instances where it didn’t really ring true. Unless Juliana has some magical empathy, she wouldn’t be so certain of what Lucian is feeling, and making those statements detracts from the power/limitations of first person.

Some of your dialogue sounded a bit robotic as well. There was nothing really wrong with it, but it didn’t feel right either, not the kind of thing that people would actually say. Read your dialogue out loud and try to imagine yourself saying it. If you wouldn’t say it in all seriousness, then Juliana wouldn’t either. Stiff dialogue also tends to sound formal, which isn’t what you want; you should make the dialogue colloquial to show the blossoming friendship between the two.

PM or Wall me if you have any questions, and keep writing! :D

-twit

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hey, Dude! (I always feel funny typing that but it's much better than McGuy xD)

So, I'm really happy you posted this chapter! And I'm even more happy it's in parts. I find reviewing one entire chapter quite tedious, honestly. Anyway, back to the review. Again, I'll be reviewing as I read so bare with me. ;)

I feel like this is a weird intimate action between the two especially after they were so extremely shy in the previous chapter.

Unnecessary. Unless he's going to do something crazy with his 'right index finger', there's no reason for you to clarify which finger he pointed with.

I was expecting just a twinge more excitement from her. She just found out that her storybook creatures are real so I want to know what she thinks about this or actually, how she deals with it. It's kinda like a twilight fan finding out an Edward Cullen does exist. I guess I just want more emotion from her, may it be a few extra lines or an entire paragraph. Perhaps even a brief silent moment of her bathing in deep thoughts - without telling the reader what she's thinking but we know that she's thinking about it. :/

I feel like you're making Juliana a bit more analytical here. I know that she is somewhat an analytical person but this part stood out to me. In addition, it's also a bit telly. We can infer that Lucian doesn't like talking about his brother from his actions therefore it's a bit redundant to tell us Juliana's thoughts. If the emotional actions are written right, which in this case they are, there is no need for the explanation.

This part is also a telly with the description/action/emotion/explanation side and also the whole touchy stuff. I think you should work more around the reason she feels comfortable putting her hand on him, like she knows he isn't going to bite or something. Normally, I would avoid touching a strand on someone's hair if I just met them and if I did, there would be a reason to it. ---Or maybe it's just me?

So many names... I'm having a hard time keeping up with who's from where and what. Maybe if I read this in all one piece it'd be easier. If you're trying to paint a picture for the audience of the lands, perhaps your novel should come with a map in the beginning? (Or in this chapter for YWS). That or you can go as far as giving us a small detail that sets each land apart from the other. Like what you did with the mountains and the peak mountain.

---

Okay, so I noticed that you were a bit more careful with the back story to Lucian an I think you did a great job. I was hooked on the past events and it was all very 'edge of your seat' worthy. I am still a bit confused on some of these dragoon customs, however, but I think you will clarify most of this later on and give the readers the details they need to know when the time comes.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this first part despite the fact that it was mostly all of Lucian's tales and a bit telly on who he was and where he came from and what he wants. Don't feel too bad about this though because it's sort of supposed to be more telly since you're giving out his past. It was important, and I think you did a pretty good job tying it all together and whatnot. ^^)b

Anyway, I'll be moving on to your next part soon. Hopefully this review helps in one way or another and let me know if you have any questions.

-Pink

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:50 am
Shady wrote a review...

Hey Dude!

*note I'm glaring at you for making me discover this on my own, and not on my WRFF thread or a PM*

Alright, I'm done pouting; so I will begin my review.

Unlike in my former reviews, I'm not going to be strictly negative to begin with. I'm going to try to hit each part as I get to it. It seems to work better.

So, I'll mention that I like the marking on his forehead. I did NOT expect that his bandana was hiding something, and I always like to be surprised with things like that. Great twist! :D

"“It’s alright Lucian,” she whispered."~ I'm pretty sure a comma would suffice after 'whispered' in place of the period.

"Juliana had difficulty following his explanations of dragons and the nature of the pact his parents shared with them, but after questioning him further she learned that all dragoon children were branded when they turned five years old. They were then sent alone to scale Ragamsol peak on their twentieth birthday. Both the human and dragon gained enhanced physical abilities from their connection, and the magical bond could only be broken when one of them was deceased."~ This is a really interesting part of your story, but it sort of seems like a not-so-discrete way to give the information.

Maybe try having Lucian actually describe it to Juliana (maybe when he shows her the brand, he can tell her that he was five when he got it, instead of 'very young' and then make a comment that all dragoons were branded when they were five?)

Also, the dragoons have got me confused. I thought that, in your prologue, Dragoon was the name given to the man who rescued the dragon. But now it's a race? (That's not rhetorical. Please PM and let me know) If it's a race, then does it need to be capitalized? American, Scottish, Dragoonish?

Okay, so...wow. Your writing gets better everytime you post! This. was. amazing! Your story line is incredible! You're very descriptive too, which, as you well know, I am very fond of. Also, you managed to introduce your flashback very smoothly and clearly.

And, I've already mentioned this before, but I absolutely adore your names! They're the best.

~Shadow

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing