z

Young Writers Society



Geisha

by Pandorax


Simplicity is shown through her mask of emotions,
But her life is so complex.
She is alluring, the complete epitome, in all aspects of art and beauty.
Her perfection is not vexed.

Her art resonates through generations upon generations.
The culture is immortal and timeless.
She touches the hearts of the ones she preforms for,
Just a simple pluck of her instrument will impress.

The mask worn by her hides away true emotions.
She is expected to hide even love.
Trapped, she may feel, under her beautiful garments.
Wings ripped off, she cannot fly, gentle and fragile like a dove.

Sadness compels her, but she still creates beauty,
She only lives for art.
She is strong, unwavering.
She knows only to play her part.

Her life is full of mysteries, not
Everything has been unveiled.
Complexity is her and so is beauty.
She lives on to tell her tale.

She is a geisha,
A living sculpture's sculpture.
Creating art, never destroying.
Mysteries fulfill her destiny.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
157 Reviews


Points: 22293
Reviews: 157

Donate
Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 am
View Likes
ERZA wrote a review...



This is a very good. I think that this poem does not need any scenes as many of the poems require. This poem is about a geisha like how she is and stuff. Here after reading the poem I could feel how she feels and what emotions she hides and how she tolerates everything. She entertain every one when inside she is carrying a battered bleeding heart. Anyway, now on to the poem. Everything is well maintained in your poem. You managed to maintain a good 4-4-4 pattern and punctuated it very well. However you might want to see the length of your lines and re-size some of them to create a smooth flow. It is a very good poem actually and the focus on the subject of the poem remains throughout the poem. Good Work! Well done and keep writing. :D




Pandorax says...


I'm happy you enjoyed the poem. It is more of an emotion striking poem than visually striking. My goal was to strike the emotions more than paint a picture. :)



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 am
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Pandorax,

A wonderful subject matter for a poem! But I'm a bit disappointed :c

This poem is filled with statements, but where are the scenes? I'd much rather be there with the Geisha than hear line by line about the Geisha. I could just look up all this information on Wikipedia, after all.

What poetry does, is it expresses an experience. Note the difference between:

"She only lives for art."

and

"Ivory paint weighs heavy
upon her caked skin,
as she inhales the lead,
it stains her future.
"

Note the first is simply a statement. The latter is a scene. I can see the paint. I can feel it, I can smell paint-fumes. Instead of telling me outright her life is art, you get the sense of it through figurative language and sensory detail. Use these to your advantage and be creative with it. Have fun with it! The more you practice, the better you become. And above all, read some poetry! You'll be surprised at the different styles and techniques that are out there.

Also keep in mind that poetry is a medium that is often read aloud. There are a lot of jarring words in here that can be a bit of a mouthful. You have some short lines in some places, and longer lines in others -- and if I were perfectly honest, some of these lines are a mouthful. Especially the first line. You always want to maintain a sense of rhythm and meter throughout the poem.

That being said, I really do like this idea of a simple mask hiding a complicated lifestyle. This is something that the poem should try to mirror in form, I think, to get the optimal experience. Just a suggestion. This poem has a lot of potential and works like a draft should! I would love to see this idea expanded.

Let me know if you have any questions, and as always, keep writing!

~ as always, Audy




Pandorax says...


I will definitely work on it. :) thank you very much. It will be hard for me, because I am more of an emotional and spiritual conduit than a visual one. I do think it is something I need to work on though. :)



User avatar
304 Reviews


Points: 22897
Reviews: 304

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner wrote a review...



Hello there!

Spelling and grammar:
"fulfill" should be spelt "fulfil". Otherwise, nothing wrong.

Poeticism:

Again, very little to recommend itself. You are just telling us everything about the geisha without allowing the readers to engage with her. Look at this:

"Just a simple pluck of her instrument will impress."

This is not only a lie, as it is hard to play an instrument impressively, but it is also just a bland statement. Show, don't tell! Let the verse soak into the readers' skin and become absorbed by them.

You also have one or two random rhymes that really don't fit in. Don't do that—rhymes are special—they place lots of emphasis on words, so don't use them without lots of thought first.

In this poem, like The Nature of Existence, you focus a lot of lines on a single idea, finally exhausting it completely. Keep it moving! Distill your poetry even more!

I do complement you on the last line of the first stanza, though. Very good.

Word choice:

Classy, but simple. Very good word choice.

Imagery:

Needs more work! Don't tell us that she wears beautiful garments, describe an element of the fabric, the soft folds in the silk! The geisha culture is steeped in symbolism: every detail of a geisha's dress means something else, so your poem should reflect that in minute insights.

Originality:

The topic is very good! Inspiring and not clichéd. But many of your lines are unoriginal and need more vibrancy. You have the basic idea, though, and the geisha is a very good base to build on—you can do so much with it!

Overall:

This has the potential to be fantastic! It needs some work—as that liver-poison advert says, "Triple-distilled, twice as smooth."




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 279

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves wrote a review...



Hi there :) I am here to review your piece. I am 567ajt. I see you are new to YWS, so may I bid you welcome.

Simplicity is shown through her mask of emotions,
But her life is so complex.
She is alluring, the complete epitome, in all aspects of art and beauty.
Her perfection is not vexed.


This automatically creates a distinct and vivid image. It embodies everything assumed about a Geisha. It creates a beautiful, almost swan like image of this woman. I am so far impressed.

Her art resonates through generations upon generations.
The culture is immortal and timeless.
She touches the hearts of the ones she preforms for,
Just a simple pluck of her instrument will impress.


Again, the image projected thus far about the Geisha is that she is very much pure, and despite the fact it is a long tradition, it still makes her young. This is a good stanza, except from the typo ("preform" is meant to be perform) but it's an easy mistake to make. I also find this stanza symbolic of the Geisha tradition: that women can do it for their whole lifetime and make a lot of money out of it.

The mask worn by her hides away true emotions.
She is expected to hide even love.
Trapped, she may feel, under her beautiful garments.
Wings ripped off, she cannot fly, gentle and fragile like a dove.


This creates a more honest and true image to her personality. More like a "man vs. the legend" kind of scenario. Every one of her men treat her like she is a goddess, but in real life she is insecure about herself. Great job.

Sadness compels her, but she still creates beauty,
She only lives for art.
She is strong, unwavering.
She knows only to play her part.


She is aware that her intelligence isn't needed for these kind of practices. Even during times of personal struggle she never lets it get in the way. She is very much dedicated to what she does. She isn't required to have an intellectual conversation; she only plays the role she was assigned.

Her life is full of mysteries, not
Everything has been unveiled.
Complexity is her and so is beauty.
She lives on to tell her tale.


She is very much a mysterious character. Hard to get, hard to have. Even though she provides services she still doesn't want love. She lives on, but is alone inside. The tradition is make-and-break. The full extent of her possible turmoil is never revealed, so well done on hinting something I wouldn't have expected. You are referring to the Geisha as if she is real, but you focus on the tradition and practice itself. It's very thoughtful, and unbiased. You're not criticising the practise nor praise it. You just talk about it.

She is a geisha,
A living sculpture's sculpture.
Creating art, never destroying.
Mysteries fulfill her destiny.


Perfect way to end a perfect poem. Her fate is known only to her. Fabulous.

An impressive piece; is it your first? If so, well done indeed.

9/10




Pandorax says...


Thank you very much. I will consider all that you have said. : ) Fixed that typo. : ) This piece is one of my earlier ones. Not my first though.




If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer