Night Riders

by cm57105

Thud

The man fell, slowly, his body jolting violently as he landed on the floor.

He fumbled limply for the chamber walls and his hands passed over the walls for anything to grab onto. He crawled slowly into a sitting position and glanced slowly around the room. He lifted his arms weakly, sighing he closed his eyes and opening them again a strange fire burned in his pale face.

He slowly pressed his hands to his head. He opened his eyes and brought his hands forward quickly. Bright white light illuminated the far wall of the chamber , and ice spread over the surface quickly to form sharp icicles.

His pupils dilated and his body twisted with the pressure of keeping the ice wall up, he slumped foreword the white light dying. He groaned the fire going out in his eyes

A ripple went down the mans spine and he screamed thrashing around and finallybecoming still, leaving the chamber in an even eerier silence.His stiff grey hair didn't quite cover his eyes and they glazed up to the ceilingcompletelyblank.

He twisted around slightly convulsing as he took a deep breath and utteredone word though his wasted lips.

"James" He uttered this word and let his head roll sideways as thin trickle of blood drippingdown onto his dead face. He sighed then closed his eyes for the very last time.

A cold mirthless laugh echoed around the chamber, more disturbing than the dead body was that voice held a note of sick joy. The chamber walls shook trying to contain the gruesome noise that had consumed it.

"Well well well. What do we have here?" Whispered the cold voice, amused.

Whoever it was strode forward,throwing his gruesome features into the light. His white face shone like a beacon through the dull light of the chamber. His cold eyes, full black, examined the room grinning when he noticed the man lying on the floor. He twisted his face around to show the three vicious scars that ignited his face from hair to chin.

He strode over to the man on the floor, his smile broadining with each step

“There latest recruit” He whispered smirking

“No one will stand in my way!” He said louder yet again

A scurrying sound in the corner stopped him saying anything else and he looked surprised glancing curiously at the corner.

He stepped forward cautiously, he scanned the corner. Nothing was there but dust and debris. So where had the noise come from? The man walked back seeming reassured that nothing was there and continued to the centre of the depressing chamber.

“ There petty defenses-”

The man stopped speaking though there seemed to be not interruption, he just stood there, his black eyed going blank and he dropped to the floor.

He screamed, a blood curling scream and landed face first onto the concrete, his nose smashing and blood splattering the grey floor.

He writhed around on the floor, violently jerking, blood spilling from his nose, his eyes where blank and no emotion played across his face but he continued to scream and jerk violently. He stopped but his mouth continued to move, screaming as if anyone could hear him.

He stopped lying motionless on the floor, dead.

Another laugh echoed across the room as the dead man lay unmoving on the floor.

“ The Night Rise gang never take no for an answer, fool”

A man stepped out from the shadows and with three long strides crossed the room to the dead man. He knelt beside him and, grimacing he lay a hand on his foreward.

The dead man on the floor convulsed he lips mashing in to a straight line as his eyes flickered open. He lay there, gripping on to the strange mans arm and frowning. The strange man flicked out to violent purple cloaks his handsome features distraught as he flicked the hood over his head. He knelt beside the man again and slowly propped the man up, muttering unintelligable words into his ear.

“Peter...” He whispered “We have to go now!” His voice rose an octave with stress and he glanced nervously around the room.

“That was too close” The strange man muttered. “If I hadn’t of come I don’t know what-”

The strange man stopped toppling forward and lying still on the stone tiles.

“ Never will you stop my master” The man said grinning as he wiped the pistol clean.

“One down about twenty to go!” He laughed

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 pm
MiRaCLeS wrote a review...

Hi there!

First thing I'd like to mention is your sentence strucutre. From the very beginning, I can tell that there's something wrong with it.

Now hold up, you've started every sentence in this paragraph with 'he' and a verb. This can get very boring and dull very quickly. It also tends to make the reader lose interest in how the story goes on. Perhaps you can fix this by introducing us to his name or perhaps even, give us glimpses of the surrounded. Something like:
He fumbled limply for the chamber walls and his hands passed over the walls for somethign to grab onto. The wall was smooth... etc.

Can you see how much more interesting the story would be if you varied your sentence structure?

I think that's my main critique on this story. Well, I do have a little nitpick here:
"Well well well...

I think you need a comma between those.

Now moving onto the positive, you have food descriptive writing in the story. You can incoperate the descriptions with the actions, which is really good. Because too much of description or action can overwhelm us. So keep that up!

You have a really good story so far. I'd really encourage you to watch your sentence structure though. Other than that, you're doing well! :)

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 pm
Shady wrote a review...

Hey Cm!

I tend to start with nitpicking and then move to the good parts of the story, so bear with me.

"Thud
The man fell, slowly, his body jolting violently as he landed on the floor."~ This is a little awkward. You might try combining the 'thud' with your second sentence. Such as "he landed on the floor with a thud" or something. Your information also seems to be a bit conflicting. You say that the man fell slowly, so why did his body jolt violently when he fell?

"He fumbled limply for the chamber walls and his hands passed over the walls"~ I don't think limp is the right word. Maybe weakly or something. I also tend to advise against using 'and' unless absolutely neccessary. Maybe try using 'as' here.

"He lifted his arms weakly, sighing he closed his eyes and opening them again a strange fire burned in his pale face."~ I'm not sure exactly what you meant here. The first part is great, but 'opening them again a strange fire burned in his pale face' is a bit confusing. Is the fire elsewhere and just reflecting off his face? Or is the fire coming from his face? Or is the fire merely visible within his face?

"His pupils dilated and his body twisted with the pressure of keeping the ice wall up, he slumped foreword the white light dying."~ this is descriptive, which is very good, but when did he start holding the wall up? Or is he using some mental power, (like The Force, if you've ever seen Star Wars) and you're simply writing about the mental toll its taking?

"A ripple went down the mans spine and he screamed thrashing around and finally becoming still, leaving the chamber in an even eerier silence."~the man's spine is his, (possessive) so there needs to be an apostrophe. Again, I'd try to find a way to eliminate the 'and'...maybe a comma here.

Also, you didn't mention an 'eerie silence' so you shouldn't have an 'eerier'. Just eerie is fine, unless it got quieter.

"A ripple went down the man's spine, he screamed and thrashed before he finally became still, leaving..." just a suggestion.

"His stiff grey hair didn't quite cover his eyes and they glazed up to the ceiling completely blank."~ Again, I have to advise you against using 'and'. Maybe try something like 'eyes, allowing him to stare at the ceiling as his eyes slowly glazed over'. Again, that's just a suggestion. I don't expect you to use my wording, I'm just trying to give you examples.

""Well well well. What do we have here?""~ 'well well well' isn't enough to warrent its own sentence. You should nix the period and add a comma after each 'well'.

"He twisted his face around to show the three vicious scars that ignited his face from hair to chin."~ I don't understand what 'ignited' means here. Perhaps use a different word; also, who was he showing the three scars to? Unless he was flaunting them to someone, you might just comment how the light glinted off of them, or how he fingered his scars, or something else that would allow you to mention them, instead of saying he showed them.

"“There latest recruit” He whispered smirking"~ 'there' means a place 'here or there' or 'put the book there, on the table' whereas 'their' means possessive. I think that you mean that 'they' (whomever they are, it's not crucial to introduce that yet) sent a new recruit, which would be 'thier' recruit. Also, you missed the period after 'smirking'.

"“ There petty defenses-”"~ I'll not drone on about 'there' and 'their' again, but I believe you made the same mistake here.

"The man stopped speaking though there seemed to be not interruption,"~ I have a lot of problem with grammar, so I can't offer a solution, but I know that this is really awkward and should be changed.

"The man...grey floor"~ Can be combined into one paragraph.

"He writhed around on the floor, violently jerking, blood spilling from his nose, his eyes where blank and no emotion played across his face but he continued to scream and jerk violently."~Again, this is grammatically awkward, though I can't offer much help on the matter. 'violently jerking' and 'jerk violently' is just repetitive, and I'd nix one or the other. Also, just a typo, you wrote 'where' instead of 'were'.

"He stopped lying motionless on the floor, dead."~ You definitely need another word here, maybe 'stopped thrashing' or 'stopped jerking' (the possibilities are nearly endless) but this reads that he stopped lying motionless, which would mean that he was lying motionless, but now he was moving, which isn't what you seem to mean.

"Another laugh echoed across the room as the dead man lay unmoving on the floor."~this also seems repetitive, "the dead man...floor" as a dead man obviously can't move.

"grimacing he lay a hand on his foreward."~ forehead?

"The dead man on the floor convulsed he lips mashing in to a straight line as his eyes flickered open. He lay there, gripping on to the strange mans arm and frowning."~ How did a dead man grip the strange man's arm? It seems as though he's come back to life, so you should find a different way to describe him than merely 'the dead man'.

Also, I'm a bit confused, which dead man are we talking about? The one with fire in his eyes, or the one who laughed when the the one with fire in his eyes died? Who is having the conversation following that?

BTW, there was one typo 'unintelligable' is spelled 'unintelligible'.

Okay, I'm done. Please forgive my lengthy review. This was not meant to discourage you AT ALL! You are a really talented writer, and I'm really excited to see what work you put forward next. Your story line is interesting, and you do a great job describing the scenario, giving the reader a sense of really being a part of the story. It was a joy to read.

If you need any more help, or if I was unclear about something, feel free to write on my wall or drop me a PM.

Keep writing,

~Shadow

cm57105 says...

Hey thanks for that, I kind of wrote that in a rush so I knew there where mistakes! But thanks anyway

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot