Subject 47 - Chapter 3

by FallenAngel97

“We can’t stay here,” I said to Robby as I gathered the clan. “It’s too dangerous. They know where we are.”

“I’m tired of running, Taylor. You knew this was coming. We can’t hide forever,” Robby argued.

“But we can’t fight them and survive either. They created us. They know everything about us. They know our strengths and weaknesses. And they have weapons. We may be strong and fast, but we aren’t bulletproof, in case you’ve forgotten.”

“Okay, fine. Whatever. You’re the leader,” Robby sighed.

We were just about to head out when all of a sudden, four whitecoats emerged from behind a wall of bushes holding guns and other deadly weapons. “Not again,” I mumbled under my breath.

I heard a car slam on brakes and whirled around to find two vehicles full of whitecoats pulled over. “Great, just great,” I heard someone from the clan grumble. A whitecoat dived at me, but I dodged him easily. Just as I was about to fight off another one, I heard Robby along with a few other clan members shout, “RUN!”

“I’m not leaving you!” I protested, giving another whitecoat a roundhouse kick right to the chest. He fell to the ground with a thud, gasping for air as he struggled to reach the gun in his belt. I stomped on his hand and grabbed the gun. “Don’t even think about it,” I said as I whacked him in the head with the end of the gun. “GO!” Robby screamed, flipping a whitecoat who reached for me over his shoulder, slamming him hard on the ground.

I didn’t want to leave my clan at a time like this, but I knew I had to. If at least one of us could get out alive everyone knew it had to be me. I pushed my way past two injured whitecoats and dashed for the forest. I phased from human to wolf once I was concealed by the thick bushes and condensed trees. I heard someone following me, but didn’t stop to look back. I sprinted through the forest, getting whacked and scratched by vines and branches, trying not to falter as I pushed through them. I ran at a fast, continued pace, ignoring the pain of my heart threatening to burst right out of my chest. I ran despite the aching feeling in my legs and the burning in my lungs.

I heard the loud BANG of a bullet being fired from a gun and instinctively ducked out of the way. I heard another shot and felt it whizz past my ear. That was too close. I dropped down on my stomach and held my arms over my head as another shot rang through the air. Less than a second later, I felt an agonizing pain surge through my body as a bullet penetrated the skin right in between my shoulder blades, ripping apart muscles and tissue as it dug its way deeper into my body. I laid as still as I could, forcing myself not to scream as the pain worsened with every passing second. I heard footsteps drawing closer, then stop. After a few seconds, I heard footsteps again, but they were headed in the opposite direction. Either they thought I was dead or they figured I’d die soon enough. I was starting to believe that too. Every little motion caused immense pain. Even breathing was difficult. A horrible thought entered my mind involuntarily: for the first time ever, I was truly alone. Torn away from the only thing that had ever mattered to me. Then another thought came to mind: I had to live, for my clan. I had to get out of there alive. But how?

Slowly, I slid my arms out in front of me and attempted to pull myself up in a sitting position. An excruciating pain ripped through my entire body and I immediately collapsed back onto the ground, clenching my jaw to keep from screaming. So sitting was out of the question, but maybe I could still drag myself so I wouldn’t be lying here where anyone who passes through can see me. I wouldn’t have to go far; just far enough to find a place to hide. Once again, I stretched my arms in front of me, but instead of sitting, I dug my fingers into the cool dirt and pulled. The pain surged through my body, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as when I tried to sit. I gritted my teeth and repeated this action. Breathe. Dig. Pull. Repeat. Over and over, enduring a pain more agonizing than I had ever felt in my life. Breathe. Dig. Pull. Repeat. Over and over and over.

noninjaes wrote a review...

Yet another Chapter List review tonight. Man I'm on a roll.

Between this and the last chapter, it's more disjointed than the smooth flow of before. When first introduced into the scene, I was really confused. It wasn't until a few sentences later when I'm told that they're with the other werewolves. So much of that important in-between stuff is missing.

Your dialogue is good in this chapter and I'm happy to finally have had one of them phase into a werewolf. Though the description of what the wolf form looks like is missing. I've also noticed that even though I know that the MC is a girl, I've got no idea what she looks like.

The action also comes in too soon. It's like your pushing for the action to always be there. There's no chance for a breather at all. It just seems like you're missing out on so much of the story. It once again feels like this is simply a more detailed outline disguised as a chapter.

What I'm reading into this is talk about always running, be attacked by the whitecoats, get shot by gun. It's so much like an outline that it's not funny. Though, the actual bit about being hit by the bullet is brilliant. It's obvious that when you remember to include them, descriptions are your best asset; remember what I said about natural talent? I said that for a reason, not to not make you feel so bad.

I'm also interested as to where and how they learned how to defend themselves like that. It's like BAM they're martial are experts. Is it a part of being a werewolf? When writing it's not just about the action and the basic storyline.

You need to put in all the stiff that makes the readers laugh and cry. You need to give them reasons to feel compassion or anything really for the characters. Spend a scene or a chapter or two on letting the reader get to know the characters. Show them why they should feel worried when the MC gets injured.

These relationships between the characters and reader are a major element in what makes a good story. Yes, keeping them hooked and feeding them action is important, but you need to balance it in with personalities, scenes, background info, and normal activities. Even great heroes in great stories have their moments where they fall apart or have fun with their friends doing something normal.

Despite what they teach you in school, there's so much more to writing than the beginning, middle, end, and plot. All these dynamics, nuances, and tidbits are all important. Really, a great story could have the end at the beginning, the beginning in the middle, and the middle at the end without it making any difference to how great the story is.

Sorry if I seem rambly, but reviews aren't just about pointing out mistakes, their about helping the author learn and grow, and teaching them how to fix those mistakes. SO many reviews are just all "Replace jale with jai; and shit tightly with tightly shut just because." They're missing the reasons why they need to change and how the suggestions are better.

Man, even i could learn a few things from my own ramblings sometimes.

- noni >( ==)

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 am
mithrim96 says...

Wow... cool... as in, wow... This is really intense. I love the way you described the running and then the bullet. One bit I wasn't happy with: (As Alliyah said) If you're going to have someone who can PHASE into a WOLF (an actual wolf! I mean, cool!), you have to flesh it out! Tell us how they phase, what it feels like, the differences between being a human and being a wolf. Give us all the juicy details to savor. Also, you say they phased into a wolf (without describing it... sorry) then when they 'drop to their stomach' they are human again. You need to keep with one form, or have a reason for the change.

Everyone got any other complaints. I'm really glad I'm reading this story of yours. It's so exiting!!!

barefootrunner wrote a review...

Okay, this was pretty good, but there was this sense of unreality, because whitecoats come from everywhere, carrying long-range weapons, like guns. Then the clan have a nice, cozy chat while they engage with a few whitecoats who for some reason attempt hand-to-hand combat. A roundhouse to the chest? If they are indeed quite so strong and well-trained, a kick to the chest would be much to dangerous. Try the fork of the legs or the kneecap. Much less chance of having your foot grabbed and pulled. Why have none of the whitecoats fired yet? They are there in the open, being beaten up by the clan and they don't try to shoot them? And why are the clan members so insensitive to the danger they are in? So my first tip is to keep it real. Keep it realistic. And that bullet should probably have inflicted more damage. In the chest cavity, full of major veins and arteries, lungs, heart and the spinal cord? There would have been profuse bleeding at the very least.

There is one spelling mistake, the "I laid as still as I could." It should be "lay".

Otherwise, very good. Nice work.

luis123 wrote a review...

Yay, more blazing excitement. am starting to wonder how the whitecoats seem to be right on top of them and suprise them all the time. Surely the clan has more powers at their disposal since they were desgned to destroy all humans? I also wonder why Taylor didn't use the gun as a gun instead of just a club? It seems like once morphed to a wolf, Taylor could easily have eluded the whitecoat with speed alone unless se morphed back to a human before being shot. When is the clan ging to get enough of a break to plan escape/survival? They are getting killed and captured rapidly.

Anyway, it is a very exciting and fast paced stry that you just can not put down. You are amazing in your ability to create and describe the action at the rate you are going. You obviously have a very bright and creative mind. I hope you can keep it up without getting worn out. It is a great exciting and interesting story. Keep it going. I am definitely a fan. By the way, your grammer and spelling and use of words is exceptional.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 am

Each chapter seems to build on with more excitement! I like how commited the entire clan was to their leader. Maybe I missed this when reading the other chapters but I don't think there could have been more description in how the rest of the clan got to where they are. Robby and Subject 47 are.

I felt there should be more description on exactly what happens when he's "phasing from human to wolf" so we know what that looks like.
There were a few sentences that sounded a little strange :We were just about to head out when all of a sudden, four whitecoats emerged from behind a wall of bushes holding guns and other deadly weapons" this sentence just starts out with a strange transition, maybe you could put something that shows they were turning around or "about to head out".
Also I'm not sure if the word "involuntarily" adds anything to this sentence: "A horrible thought entered my mind involuntarily:"

I really didn't notice any spelling/grammar mistakes so great job with that. I also applaud you on showing us his pain of the bullet without just adding a bunch of gore.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to reading the next chapter.

~Alliyah

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein