After- Intro + Chapter 1

by STobsessed

So here I am again; King County General Hospital. It's been only about a month since I awoke in room 309, right down the hall. Still, it seems so much longer. Everything is different now. I'm so different now.

Sometimes I hardly recognize myself when I walk past my reflection in shop windows. Sure, I look more or less the same. My hair's a bit longer and I've been wearing more makeup than usual, but something deeper has occurred. My eyes aren't the same as they were, dull and sad. The smile I've come to expect is foreign. A long forgotten friend who has finally returned.

But, today isn't one of those days.

I look down at Zain, laying beneath the crisp sheets of his bed. Tears pool beneath my eyelids.

'It's your fault.' My conscious screams. 'It should have been you.'

I wipe the droplets away as they stream down my cheeks.

I yearn to run into the restroom, and give myself that metal release. I can feel my grip on myself slipping. Just the thought drags in even more guilt. My brain is clouded with all the thoughts I should never have. Every mistake is suddenly apparent and amplified. My face is drenched in liquefied regret. I don't know if I could get rid of these thoughts, but I won't try. I allow them to consume me. I'd rather be eaten alive by them, than to return to the dreadful reality of my friend laying beside me, battered and broken.

I just wish I could go back.

Back to after.

It's rather ironic, I think, how all of this started where I'd tried to end it. If I'd never put that blade to my wrist, would any of it ever have happened? I'm compelled to wonder if I'd known, would I still have done it? Would I still ink the knife into my forearm, severing my veins, fully aware of the outcome?

Knowing me, yeah, I probably would have.

But regardless of my ignorance to the future, I did. So, I'll start there.

I woke up, my head reeling with the stench of sickness and bleach hanging in the air. It never matters how much the janitors try to scrub that smell away, the scent of death always lingers. My stomach turned as I breathed it deep into my lungs.

My neck was sore from laying at a bad angle, and there was a dull ringing in my ears. I tested my limbs, stretching to see if they still worked. They did, but my newly discovered stitches tugged at my skin, sending a raw pain up to my elbows.

I bit my bottom lip, and squeezed my eyes tight until the hurt had passed. My arms were hot beneath their bandaging, and I had to fight the urge to check them for blood. I was too afraid to move again, knowing the possible pain.

My eyelids fluttered and a single droplet trickled from the corner of my eye. My vision was beginning to clear, giving me a better view of the sand-colored ceiling fan, spinning slowly about my bed.

The ringing was beginning to subside and I could vaguely make out the sound of my father's voice.

"Yeah, Mom." He said. "Everything's all right." I looked over at him, barely in my periphery as he sat on the couch against the wall. My mother sat beside him, though she wasn't responding to him.

"I'll let you know when she wakes up." He continued as he stared down at his shoes. He was rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand and I noticed the cell phone in his other.

I glanced at my mother, silently sobbing. Her body seemed lifeless. She didn't move, in fact she barely breathed.

'Is that how I looked when they found me?' I wondered.

I would have killed to know what was going through her head as she sat there, staring into the depths of nothingness. But, I was sure I would never know. Mom and I had never gotten along. Let alone actually talked.

"Love you too, Mom." My dad said, recapturing my attention. "Bye." He tapped the touch screen of his BlackBerry and slipped it into the pocket of his jeans. I strained my eyes to watch as he writhed his trembling hands. He let his face rest in his palms and soon the rest of his body began to shake.

He looked up at the sound of the door handle turning, and my eyes shot closed.

'Don't be a nurse.' I prayed silently. I wasn't ready to deal with the consequences of my survival. I peaked though one of my eyes at the door, and was relieved to see my nephew toddling inside with my sister Alex just behind him.

I closed my eyes with the click of the door latching back into place. I decided pretending to be asleep was my best bet, so I tried to stay as still as I could.

"Dad?" I heard Alex say, her voice soft as always. "Are we going to stay here all night? Leo's already getting fussy." I wondered how late it would be by that time. It would have to be at least midnight.

"I'll take you home if you want." I had to strain to hear him, his voice hardly more than a whisper. "Your mother's going to stay with Storm." My muscles tensed at the notion.

'Oh great.' I thought, sarcastically. 'Now they're just trying to torture me."

The room grew near silent for a few minutes, all except for the sound of Alex gathering her things. Leo mumbled sleepy protests as his mother picked him up.

"Ready?" Dad asked.

"Yeah." With her reply, he pushed himself up from the couch, causing the foux leather to rub noisily against itself.

I listened closely as their footsteps softened and the handle on the door began to turn. Suddenly, the sound stopped and I heard my sister sigh.

"Is Storm gonna' be okay?" she asked, then added a sharp, "Really?" I could almost feel their eyes looking me over as I laid there.

"Physically, yes." My dad responded with a seemingly too professional tone. But I suppose any doctor would be the same way. "Mentally..." His voice trailed off.

"Can't you pull some strings and make sure she doesn't end up locked up somewhere?" Alex prodded. I took in a sharp breath at the thought. It hadn't even occurred to me that I may be sent to a mental hospital.

"Your sister is going to have to be treated, Honey. At least, if we want her to get better." I dug my fingernails into the palm of my hand. I couldn't bare to listen, but nor could I tune it out.

"What about therapy?" Her voice was sharp, but seemed so pitiful. My chest felt heavy as she defended me. "You can't just sent her to some nut house, Dad. All that's gonna do is make things worse."

"Alex," She cut him off.

"This is just as much out fault as hers!" She was almost shouting.

"Shush." He tried to quiet her. "I can make sure she only has to do out-patient treatment. Her doctor is a good friend of mine. But regardless, we won't know anything until she wakes up." Alex was sniffling, and I had to resist opening my eyes. I could hear Leo fussing in his mother's arms.

"I know." Her voice was trembling. "But still..."

"Come on." Dad said and shut the door behind them. Their footsteps trailed down the hall and soon disappeared.

I laid there, unsure of what to do now. Then, my mother let out a long sigh.

"I know you're awake, Storm."

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:45 am
mithrim96 wrote a review...

Hey, this is Mith and here's a review for you! (Just a pre-warning: I'm going to be quite critical and pick up on everything I notice) Sorry it's long.

SPELLING AND GRAMMAR

I only noticed some small errors which are understandable.

"My eyes aren't the same as they were, dull and sad." --- Maybe say "...as they were, they're dull and sad." because it sounds like you're saying they were dull and sad and are now different.

"I don't know if I could get rid of these thoughts, but I won't try." --- should be present tense like the rest, 'I don't know if I can get rid..."

"...stretching to see if they still worked." --- wouldn't her parents notice this movement?

"I wondered how late it would be by that time. It would have to be at least midnight." --- this is odd. How would she know the time if she just woke up?

"...looking me over as I laid there." --- 'lay there'

"...as much out fault as hers!"..." --- 'our fault'

"I laid there..." --- Again, I'd prefer, 'I lay there', but that could just be me.

Other than that you seem to have done well with spelling and stuff. You may slip in and out of past and present tense though.

WORD USAGE

I thought I'd put some lines I really liked in here:

"The smile I've come to expect is foreign." --- Nice word use - very direct

"I don't know if I could get rid of these thoughts, but I won't try. I allow them to consume me." --- I have often found that I'd prefer to wallop in self-pity or anger than think about life.

"Would I still ink the knife into my forearm, severing my veins, fully aware of the outcome?
Knowing me, yeah, I probably would have."

""Physically, yes." My dad responded with a seemingly too professional tone. But I suppose any doctor would be the same way. "Mentally..." His voice trailed off."

FLOW AND UNDERSTANDABILITY

Some bits don't really make sense and the story is a bit disjointed I found. Some finer nit-picks I had:

"A long forgotten friend who has finally returned." --- 'finally returned'? Didn't she say her smile was gone?

"But regardless of my ignorance to the future, I did. So, I'll start there." --- this doesn't make much sense

"'Is that how I looked when they found me?' I wondered." --- to me this didn't match with the sentences around it

OVERALL OPINION

I agree with Rydia in that I didn't really connect with your M.C. and her story and that maybe more of the story behind would be effective. However, I think you write well and there are good ideas here.

I love your M.C.'s name (just to put it out there). Odd or interesting names, like Storm, really interest me. Overall, I liked this. I really want to know what's happening in the story: who the 'battered and broken friend' is, why she blamed it on herself, why she cut herself, how she ultimately ended up in hospital, how she really feels about her family and, how she really is. Though I don't think it's really my style of book (which is fiction fantasy/supernatural), you've done well to pique my interest! Good start!

Continue writing with my luck to you, STobsessed,
Mith.

Hi! Here I am with a review as requested :) I'll start by giving you some specific comments as I read through and then a few more general pieces of advice at the end.

1. The introduction is a little dull. It's very telling and there's not enough personality or description there to draw me in. I don't know if the persona is female or male or old or young. I don't know why they're in the hospital, which would really be more interesting than that they've been before and all this 'I'm a different person now' is a bit too cliche. You shouldn't be telling us that they're different. We should be able to tell just from the way they talk, the things they say, that this is a person who isn't healthy, who isn't standard. For example. Here's how you're phrasing it:

I used to be happy but now I'm not. It's hard but so much has happened and now I feel so empty and my reflection is haggard. I'm just a shell.

This is how I think you should phrase it:

Matches. They took the matches, did you hear? I don't know why, but they took the matches. There! What is that, there? It's something. Something big and round like a fish bowl. I had a fish once. Do you keep fish? I think you should keep a fish, maybe if I still hd mine I wouldn't feel so empty. That's what's missing from my life: fish. And now the matches.

Alright so it isn't a great example but you get the idea. There needs to be a voice behind your words and the voice tells us what state your character is in so you don't have to.

2.

There's a few to many questions here. If you ask less questions, those that you do ask will be much more effective. When you throw too many at the reader at once, it's very difficult to pay enough attention to all of them. On a positive note though, II really like the phrasing of 'would I still ink the knife into my forearm'. I have a feeling you meant to use 'sink' but don't change it, ink is cool.

3. There's a lot of 'I' going on here which isn't good. It doesn't make me want to like your narrator when they're all me this, I that. It makes them come across as too self involved.

4. Realism. You need to do research when you're writing a novel to make sure you get all the details righ. One thing that strikes me about this is you have too many visitors in the oom forlate at night. Hospitals don't allow more than one or two people to stay past 10:00pm, sometimes earlier, dependent on where you are. I know my friend and I got thrown out at eight. Since the patient is a minor, a parent or guardian might be allowed to stay but nobody else. Especially not a toddler.

5. You've got a good use of the senses going on here, especially sound. Maybe expand a little to scent as I know that was the biggest thing that struck me about hospital beds. How crisp and tight the sheets were but also the way they smelled. Like nobody had ever slept in them before.

6. The ending was a little obvious but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.

General thoughts

Alright so I'm not sure if this is the best way to start the novel as I don't feel connected enough to the character to care that she's in hospital. Perhaps if you'd begun a little earlier and given us a few snap-shots into her reasoning behind trying to kill herself, or had that as the prologue. It would have been better than your current introduction as the fore-boding really idn't working for you there. It's just dragging down the pace of the plot.

I'm also not sure about your use of names. 'Leo' and 'Storm' put me off this piece as they're typical of poorly written teenage fiction. If you'd used only one, that wouldn't have drawn as much attention to their unusual nature but since we discover both at the same time, I have to admit it made me cringe. Maybe I'm being too judgemental there but really, I've read too much fiction that's gone badly with names like Leo.

I'd like to end on a few positives then. I think you've got room for an interesting plot here: suicide attempts, mental hospitals. There's clearly some strong tension in the family and that intrigued me. I also think you've got a good grounding on being aware of your character's surroundings, though a few more key details would be nice. A stain on the ceiling. Maybe a card on the bed side table. Just those little extra things that really bring a scene to life.

Well I hope this has given you a few ideas! Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions,

Heather xxx

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare