z

Young Writers Society



Ch 1. (part 2)

by DudeMcGuy


This is a re-up of a work I posted before. It has been edited and tweaked based on the comments of the YWS.

Juliana awoke in the middle of the night sweating and breathing heavily. Her fingers trembled under her wool blankets as she slowly sat up. It was only a dream. It wasn’t real, she told herself. The horrifying nightmare nearly brought her to tears. Though she could not recall many of the details, the image of her brother’s bloody corpse lying on the open battlefield remained fresh in her mind.

The young woman looked all around the tent to calm herself and come back to reality. Radi and her grandfather slept peacefully on her right; undisturbed by the girl’s light scream when she awakened. Juliana lay down again and covered herself with her blanket. But her fear was intensified by the shadows cast upon the tent’s canvas. The moonlight distorted the trees’ proportions, causing them to appear cold and menacing. One branch seemed to reach out for her through the wall.

Juliana decided to leave the tent and walk outside to shake the terrifying feeling of her dream. She borrowed her grandfather’s cloak and stepped out into the late night air. The woods were eerily silent, as if all the creatures deserted their home for the night. The stream in the distance behind her was the only sound she recognized from earlier that evening. A light breeze carried the scent of newborn pine and sent a chill through her arms. She washed her face with a damp rag and stared at the now less intimidating forest.

As Juliana began to regain a sense of peace, she heard a faint sound coming from the far side of the road. The noise was low pitched and seemed to begin and end in irregular intervals. She knew it could not be natural to the area. Her curiosity led her through the darkness and into the woods.

Twigs snapped under her feet as she moved cautiously; ducking her head under the low branches. Juliana listened carefully for the soft sound and proceeded deeper through the forest until she came to a large oak. The sound then became clear in her ears as she approached; someone was crying on the other side of the massive trunk. Surprised by this discovery, Juliana quickly hid herself behind a nearby bush to the right of the tree. She was astonished to see the young traveler as she peeked over the thicket.

The boy sat with his back leaning against the tree and face pointed to the ground. He held his hands behind his head as he sobbed and moaned softly. Juliana wondered why the stoic young man was crying in the middle of the night. It was obvious to her that he moved away from the camp so he would not draw attention to himself, but he did not attempt to wipe away the water that streamed down his cheeks. He seemed to be mumbling something, but Juliana was too far to hear the words. She was then startled when the young man let out a loud and painful cry. His sudden outburst lasted only seconds, and his bottom lip quivered as he returned to his quiet somber state. The boy tried to stop himself, but the tears continued to flow.

Juliana felt a strange sense of deep sympathy for the stranger. His weeping reminded her of the sadness she experienced when they set off three days earlier. She wanted to do something, but was afraid to be caught spying on him.

What could I say? she thought. She continued to secretly watch him for a while longer. Not knowing what action to take, the young woman quietly returned to the campsite. She still heard him crying in the distance as she entered the tent.

What could make him so sad? the girl wondered. Should I ask him? Should I tell grandpa? Juliana had difficulty sleeping for the rest of the night.

She awoke the next morning with her grandfather standing next to her; his back arching along with the tent wall.

“Would you care for breakfast?” he asked.

Juliana stretched and rubbed her eyes as she stepped outside. She saw her brother sitting on a large stone near an open fire not far from her. He carefully rotated a cooking skewer over the knee high flames. The smoke trail blew west over the treetops.

Her grandfather placed his hand on Juliana’s shoulder and pointed to his grandson. “I was blessed with a wonderful catch this morning. Those fish will make a great meal. Well, assuming Radi doesn’t burn them as he did yesterday.”

Juliana walked over to the fire pit and noticed Radi looking at a small paper resting on the ground between his feet. She saw a wide smile displayed on his face as he read silently to himself.

“The ink will melt if you continue to stare at it like that,” she said.

Radi turned to her and chuckled. “I enjoy reading this because it’s real. Unlike those absurd children’s books the old man brought along.”

“Is that so?” replied Juliana. She sat down on the blanket her brother laid out for her and passed her empty plate to him. “Those stories are not all for children Radi. I saw a tale about a dragon in one of them.”

“Please Juliana. Are you certain you’re ready for advanced education? I just told you I enjoy things that are real. Dragons do not exist; they’re fake, make-believe creatures. A military draft notice is real. I thought that would be simple to understand.”

“Radi!” her grandfather shouted. “Speak with kindness to your sister!”

“Do not lecture me old man!” Radi answered. “Juliana and I are having a discussion that is of no consequence to you!”

The man shook his head at his grandson as he disassembled the tent.

Juliana looked down, her eyes catching a glimpse of her brother’s draft notice. Must you hold such a grudge brother? she thought. Why can you not forgive him?

Juliana watched as Radi set two small fish on her plate and sliced them with his knife. He separated the heads and swept them into the flames.

“Why do you still read children’s books Juliana? You’re sixteen years old. You should have outgrown such things by now.”

Juliana received her breakfast and nodded in appreciation before answering him. “Radi, not all fairy tales are for children. And they can still be interesting even if they are fictional. There is often something to be learned from them.”

“I highly doubt that sister,” Radi said.

“You’re fond of war stories correct? Tales involving dragons normally have a fair amount of violence in them. You should at least give it a chance.”

Radi sighed and stood up. “Very well Juliana, if you must read it then I suppose I will listen. But what will our guest think of your childish pastime?”

“H-Him? I’m sure he won’t mind. He is . . . usually quiet.”

“Usually? That boy hasn’t spoken a word for the last two days. He didn’t even thank me for the fish I cooked this morning.”

“Where is he now?” Juliana asked.

Radi pointed to the road before leaving his sister to assist his grandfather pack their belongings.

Juliana bit into the overcooked fish and examined the wagon behind her. Both horses had been secured and brushed. And the young traveler was already in his usual place, patiently waiting for the group to depart.

Juliana’s grandfather approached the fire pit when he noticed her looking at the boy. “Is something wrong?” he asked.

“Um . . . no,” Juliana said as she turned around to continue eating.

“Don’t worry about the boy over there. He and Radi ate earlier this morning.”

“Oh . . . well . . . that’s good then.”

“Will you--,” her grandfather stopped mid-sentence as Juliana looked over her shoulder at the wagon once again. “Juliana?”

She turned around quickly, as if she had forgotten he was there. “Y-Yes grandpa?”

“Are you sure all is well?”

“Yes, Yes of course.”

“Very well then, Will you clean your place and put out the fire when you’ve finished? We should depart as soon as possible.”

“I will,” she replied.

Her grandfather left as she continued to speculate about the young traveler. Juliana lowered her head and offered a prayer to the goddess before they set off . . .

-------------------------------------------------------

The sun began to set near the hills behind them. Juliana barely made any progress in her studies. She periodically glanced at the young man sitting to her left. The girl poked through the bag that sat between them so she would not look suspicious while observing him. The wagon passed through an open section of the forest, and Juliana was finally able to take a long look at the boy when he shielded his eyes from the sunlight.

His body was healthy and strong, perhaps even more so than her brother. The clothing he wore was plain and ordinary, but Juliana’s attention was caught on a headband he wore over his forehead. The bright red cloth stood out sharply in his short strait black hair.

Juliana’s extended stare drew the attention of her brother. She saw him in the corner of her eye, shaping his lips into a kissing motion in a mocking manner. She glared back at him and said nothing as he laughed at her.

“You seem to be enjoying yourself,” Radi said.

The grandfather interrupted before she could respond. “Juliana, we are losing the light. Will you finish the story from earlier? I’ve been wondering what happened to the dragon from Alecrast.”

“Of course I will grandpa,” replied Juliana. “But only if I can do so without … interruptions.” She stared directly at her brother as she placed emphasis on the final word.

Radi, clearly not interested in listening to the story, let out a deep sigh. “Fine,” he said. “Do what you want.”

Juliana smiled as she retrieved the book and turned to the page she marked earlier. Once she found her place she read out loud:

“. . . Y-You wish to serve me?” he asked as he looked at the creature. “But I am human . . . and you are a dragon!” . . . “I saved your life,” the man said. “Why are you so eager to turn it over to me?”

“This is the way of things in my culture,” answered the dragon. . . .

“But a person cannot simply choose a name. It is something that must be given to you by another.” . . .

“I underst --

Juliana suddenly stopped reading. “No!” she said.

“What is it Juliana?” asked the grandfather.

“The bottom portion of the final page is washed out. It’s not damp, but the back cover is stained as well. I can’t finish the story.”

“Hmm, that is a shame,” the old man said in a disappointed tone.

“Oh yes, a real shame indeed,” Radi said sarcastically.

Juliana closed the book, frowning as she stared at the cover. “I wonder what name the dragon gave him,” she said.

Silence came over the group as everyone thought to themselves about the story. It remained quiet until a voice came from the back of the wagon. The young man spoke in a soft tone.

“Dragoon,” he said.

Shocked to hear him speak, Juliana and Radi focused their attention on the back of the wagon.

“Wh . . . What did you say?” Radi asked him.

“His name was Dragoon,” the young man answered.

None of them knew what to say when the boy spoke for a second time. He then turned to the siblings and calmly recited the final lines of the story:

“. . . As I told you before, I do not have a name. I have wished for one for many years. But a person cannot simply choose a name. It is something that must be given to you by another.”

“I understand,” replied Shin-ryu. . . . “You will be called Dragoon . . . man of the dragons.

This ends the account of the first Dragoon.

When the boy finished, he turned away and continued to stare at the empty space across from him. Juliana wanted to say something, but she was still in disbelief of what happened. Even Radi was at a loss for words. Several minutes passed by as the group said nothing.

At last the grandfather spoke, “That . . . was a good story . . . Juliana, please come up here and help me find a place to set up camp. It’s best if we stop before dark.”

Without saying anything, Juliana moved to the front seat next to her grandfather.

“How about over there?” he asked.

“Oh . . . yes . . . that will do,” she replied. However, Juliana then realized her grandfather had purposely pointed out uneven, muddy ground to determine if he held her attention.

“Perhaps there is a better spot ahead,” he said.

The group set up camp a shortly after the sun disappeared behind the trees. Juliana tied the horses to a low tree branch while her family argued and assembled the tent. Her mind still dwelt on what she witnessed the night before. Just forget about it, she thought. Why do I care so much for someone I’ve never met? It’s none of my concern.

She let out a deep sigh as her brother gathered the hunting tools out of the wagon. Her brother and grandfather noticed Juliana daydreaming while she fed the horses. She slowly brushed the animal’s mane with one hand and gazed into the magenta sky. Her grandfather approached her from behind and placed his hand on her shoulder. Startled, Juliana turned to the man with wide eyes.

“Julie,” he said. “Radi and I are leaving to catch dinner. Will you watch the camp while we are away?”

“Yes . . . You can count on me.”

“Wonderful! We will return later tonight.”

Still troubled and lost in thought, Juliana sat down and watched the two men leave for the forest. Her grandfather looked back at her and then motioned for Radi to go ahead when they reached the edge of the trees.

“I seem to have forgotten something,” he said. “Keep going child. I’ll catch up with you.”

“No you won’t old man,” Radi said under his breath. He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head in disgust as he entered the forest.

The grandfather returned to Juliana. “This is your chance Julie,” he whispered.

“For what?”

The old man pointed to a large pine that was separated from the rest. “He’s resting behind that tree,” he said. “Radi and I will be out for a few hours. Go tell him what you’ve been meaning to say.”

Juliana looked at the young man sitting with his back leaning against the tree. She knew her grandfather was right. The evening would likely be her only opportunity to speak with the boy alone before they reached the capital.

“Thank you grandpa,” she said.

Her grandfather smiled at her and jogged into the forest.

Juliana inhaled and gathered her confidence as she slowly walked towards the tree.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 43

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:47 pm
View Likes
DragonGirl11 wrote a review...



Hello Dude! It's me again, your faithful (albeit late) Dragongirl11. I am still thouroughly enjoying this story. I'm hungry for more! I guess I have to go read the prologue that I didn't notice until now xD I have a few more nitpicky things to say about this part than the last one:

1."She washed her face with a damp rag" - but where did it come from? I'd advise mentioning the basin or bucket or whatever here.

2."Speak with kindness to your sister" feels a bit unnatural. Perhaps "Speak kindly to your sister" or something of the sort would fit better.

3."strait black hair" should be "straight"

There, that's it for nitpickery! Now back to some more general comments. I'd like to reiterate how much I like your characters and your dialogue. It's all so unique, and it creates a realistic world. I love how Juliana's intrest in the Traveller Boy is developing. (His namelessness has made Traveller Boy a proper noun in my mind.) This is interesting indeed.

There were certain parts that I especially noticed. When chapters and stories begin with characterswaking up from dreams, usually it's done in a really cliche way, but you put your own style in it. Awesome!

The story-within-a-story, while as Rubric said you should remember the author's a character and thus has a different writing style from you, I found it entertaining. Dragons serving humans is certainly a different idea. When Traveller Boy finally spoke for the first time, I got a bit excited there. If he can rhyme off stuff like that, it must be pretty important to him. What has he got to do with this Dragoon stuff? I am intrigued.

Also, I'm glad you finally described Traveller Boy! I would have liked to see little pieces of this scattered throughout the earlier bits, though, with this bit the most detailed. If you can't tell, I'm growing affectionate for this boy. That's exactly what you want your reader to do - have the same kind of emotions as your main character. Good job there!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but my opinion counts for something right? Anyway, I'm anxious to read the rest. Write on, and God bless!
~DragonGirl11




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 3965
Reviews: 152

Donate
Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 am
View Likes
Rubric wrote a review...



Howdy again. Once again the general comments are intermingled with particular critiques. I dwell a little on worldbuilding, social-structure and narrative style. Hope this proves helpful.

"by the girl’s light scream when she awakened"
If I were to write this I'd have gone with "by the light scream with which Juliana had awoken", but it's more a personal affectation than a neccessary issue of tense


"But her fear was intensified by the shadows cast upon the tent’s canvas."
Integrate this with the previous sentence or lose the "But" as this sentence isn't currently a whole idea.

"away the water"
I think you may as well stick with "tears". "Water" isn't any more descriptive.

"What could I say? she thought"
You don't capitalise after question marks when that question mark marks the end of one mode of speech: internal thoughts, direct speech or narrative, and the beginning of another. You seem to be fairly consistent with this, which is better than being erratic with it, but my tendency would be to capitalise.

"the young woman"
I think you should stick with "Juliana" "her" and "she", as you aren't distinguishing her from other femal characters, and we're fairly familiar with her by now.

"the girl wondered"
Same again. i know you might fear repetition, but sometimes using too many epithets for the one character can be distracting.

"Juliana had difficulty sleeping for the rest of the night"
Feel free to draw a tighter connection with the previous idea: "These questions made it difficult for Juliana to drift back to sleep."

"his back arching along with the tent wall"
Nice touch, I'd have gone with "hunched", but that might be confused as a factor of his age.

"prayer to the goddess"
Ah-ha! Another tidbit in regards to worldbuilding. Something to consider is that the Judeo-Christian tradition is out of step in regards to how it names its deity, or rather, hesitates to do so. That your deity would go by the title of "goddess" (which would be capitalised if it was a proper noun) has meaningful implications for how she interacts with her followers.

"they set off . . ."
You don't need an elipses (...) for this.

"The sun began to set near the hills behind them. Juliana barely made any progress in her studies."
"As the sun began to set near the hills behind them, Juliana realised that she had barely made any progress in her studies." Would give a bit more meat to the first sentence and tie the two ideas together nicely.

"Y-You wish to serve me?”
I like the story-within-a-story idea. It's fun and a good way to handle exposition for the Dragoon background. I've got a beef though, and the beef is that it's too close to the narrative style for the rest of your story. In a sense, the author of the storybook is a character, and that character can't be the narrator of the main story, because that's basically you at this stage (it's third person transparent). Pay attention to how you write this story-within-a-story. The dragon stammers: writing it that way is a hangover from the realist literary tradition, which is fine for you, but not neccessarily fine for an author in a medieval setting. This goes back to my last review when I was asking about printing presses. How are books and stories treated in your world. Pre-printing press books were rare artifacts: valuable in themselves, often revered, the product of months or years of work to copy. The English literary tradition skyrocketed in the industrial period, but before that, it's work was thoroughly different. This isn't something you have to give yourself a headache over, but for a nitpicky reader, it matters.

"answered the dragon. . . . "
Why is this ellipses here?

"hunting tools"
I know research is irritating, and "hunting tools" is good shorthand, but it's worth paying attention to what weapons they have on them, and what hunting they're proficient with.

“Radi and I are leaving to catch dinner. Will you watch the camp while we are away?”"
There's trusting and then there's trusting. This seems like a huge lapse on the grandfather's part and I'm surprised Radi didn't object. Leaving a dependant female alone in the presence of a non-family male in strange territory would be a huge taboo in most cultures. On the other hand it does reflect the independance with which she's trusted.

Once again, you can rach me by PM or on my Writer's Corner thread if you have feedback or questions.
Hope you can take something from this and cheers for an enjoyable read,

Rubric




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 10840
Reviews: 202

Donate
Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 am
View Likes
Blues wrote a review...



Hi, again, Dude! I'm here to review as requested once again.

...Right. Forget about what I said in the last chapter. Forget it xD

I loved this chapter too! It was interesting to read and once again, Radi amused me xD I'll just jump into the actual critique, however. I have to say, I do love your writing style and the way you write - it's lovely to read!

Okay. The improvements:


The young woman looked all around the tent to calm herself and come back to reality. Radi and her grandfather slept peacefully on her right; undisturbed by the girl’s light scream when she awakened.


Wait, what? I honestly don't understand how it could've been 'light'. Perhaps quiet? But then it'd sound a bit hoarse, in which case, that'd be better. Or maybe she could feel the dry tear tracks on hers and feel her eyes sting and maybe murmur something hoarsely. It still conveys the same emotion and makes much more sense :P


I think it's a tad unrealistic that she went out in the woods, especially as it's night and she's just had a nightmare. If I were here, I would be almost hallucinating. Whenever I'm awake at night, I'm almost hallucinating - one time I could almost see gnomes jumping from my desk to my chair and abseiling down. I knew they weren't there - it was like a mind's eye image except competing with your real eye. Another time, I could've sworn I could smell mustard gas. In her case, I would've thought she felt the same thing, seeing the branches slash at her and her brother's dead corpse. I'd have been trembling in the cabin all night and maybe slept next to my brother or my mum just as security (and I'm 15 too. Still a little kid :3 ).

If you still want her to go outside, maybe she'd be able to see the boy but he seemed awake albeit far away? Or maybe she could hear the sniffling a bit more clearer so that she'd check on the boy.

Ah, so the boy has something to do with the prologue! Interesting. I think it's called dramatic irony(?) when the audience know what the characters do not. I'm very intrigued to see where the correlation is and to understand more of their world, their customs, the journey etc etc.

That's all from me. I'll be glad to read a bit more when you post so do let me know! I'm very intrigued to see what happens if/when the boy and Julie speak to each other.

Keep writing and well done! :)

~Blues




User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 44887
Reviews: 816

Donate
Fri May 25, 2012 2:42 pm
View Likes
Shearwater wrote a review...



Hey, McGuy!

So, I’m here to review this next part. Sorry for being a bit late.

I enjoyed this part of the chapter and your writing is wonderful. Your sense for invoking emotions is great and I could really feel Julie as she feared her nightmare, grew curious over the hitchhiker, and was lost in her own thoughts. You wrote her emotions very well.

There are just a few thoughts that I have about this part that I want to talk about. Firstly, Julie awoke from a nightmare that was actually quite scary and then she hears some questionable noises from across the road. If I were her, I would not actually go to check it out. Unless, it was clear to me that it was a sound of a person crying because any ‘unnatural’ thoughts makes me think of bad horror movies where the protagonist decides to open the closet even though there are evil sounds coming from the other side of the door. I take into account Julie’s character when I say this. So far, she hasn’t exactly come off as the person who’s willing to wield a sword but more of someone who is full of emotions and sympathy. As someone who possesses that kind of character, I don’t see her lurking around in the dark following noises.

I was also going to say something about Radi and his grandfather’s relationship. It seemed very odd that his grandfather was always scolding him, especially when it came to being nice to his younger sister but you mentioned something about a grudge so that calmed me down, lol. Since we’re talking about Radi, I find his character a bit childish and cliché at some points. He has that ‘real men like violence’ attitude and in a few places, he comes off sounding younger than his sister. She’s sixteen so he must be eighteen? I can’t remember what his age was (If you mentioned it) but I don’t think eighteen year old guys would act like that. My brother is sixteen and he’s more mature than Radi. Then again, my brother can be a bit annoying and childish at times but that’s only if he sees the atmosphere calls for it.

Radi is a bit hard for me to pick out though because the way you wrote him makes me think that he’s purposely acting young. Hmmm, not sure. It’s only the first chapter so I won’t dwell on this but I thought I might offer my thoughts on your characters.

One thing I really did like was the story they were reading. The deep meaning that it held over a name being something you give someone, I’ve heard this a few times before but I’d like to see where you take this in your novel and how it connects to the hitchhiker or to Julie or anyone else for that matter. Speaking of the hitchhiker, he talked. Yay! Although, I’m still curious as to how he found Radi, Julie and their grandfather and why he decided to tag along with them when he clearly looks like the type of guy who wants to be alone and do things his way without assistance. Then again, I don’t really know him either but that’s me and my first impressions after the first chapter, lol.

The ending was just enough to make me want more and you definitely teased me there. I’d love to read the next chapter of this so let me know if you post more. ^__^

Hopefully this review helps some. I don’t know if it will because it was mostly me talking about my thoughts and not really anything constructive. Your writing is quite grounded so I can’t exactly comment on grammar and punctuation and can only really offer you an alternate view from my eyes. So yup, let me know if you have questions or whatever.

All the best,
-Pink




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Dude!

"undisturbed by the girl’s light scream when she awakened."~ nothing majorly wrong here, but you might consider changing 'light' to 'soft' or something. Light just doesn't seem to be the right word to me...

But I really like how you opened the story. It really sucked me in, since I was really able to relate to being totally terrified by a dream, even though I didn't remember much of it. I like your description of what she saw and how she felt too.

I also like how you introduced her being able to hear the traveller crying. Like I mentioned before, it didn't seem feasible that she'd just run into the woods because she heard some noise; but the way you put it sparked my curiosity, and I wouldn't question her investigating its source.

I also like how descriptive you were about the boy crying. You're doing an excellent job of arousing my senses (like making me feel scared for Juliana in the beginning, and making me feel sad for the boy) which I think is crucial to a good piece.

"Thank you grandpa," she said.

Like I mentioned in a previous review, 'grandpa' should be captialized when she's addressing him as such.

It was an excellent piece, superior to most things (even published books) that I read. You're a really talented author, and my only other complaint is that it ended so soon. I want more! :D

~Shadow




Stori says...


Seeing as everything else has been mentioned, I just have one question. Did you mean for the argument between Radi and the grandfather meant to be humorous?



DudeMcGuy says...


Nope, but some people have read it that way. I'm not sure how that happened. I wasn't trying to be funny when I wrote it.


Random avatar


this is excellent i felt as though i was with her, every step she took(: maybe a little more detail but this is great




I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights