z

Young Writers Society



The Lottery Winner (shortish intro to a game)

by lilymoore


So, this is actually the opening for my final project in my Contemporary Myth and Media class. The project is pretty much building a working, text-based adventure with the program Inform 7. It's a lot of fun. But the opening of my project is sort of set around Shirley Jackson's short story The Lottery. It's kind of written in second person and kind of in third person but that' s because Inform is written and played in second person at least narratively, normally.

The morning of June 26th was gloomy and dismal, not just the sky but the entirety of North Bennington seemed overcast with an unsettling sense of gloom as the villagers lined up beneath the hulking shadow of Trenor Park’s mansion. By noon, yourself and the rest of the village had assembled on the lawn, every man, woman and child waiting patiently for Mr. Park to appear on the porch.

Every other aspect of the lottery had already been prepared by Eliza, Trenor’s eldest daughter who stood watch over the barrel of paper slips, holding a ledger while tapping away anxiously against the book with her pencil. Off in the distance, the church bell rang hauntingly that noon had arrived.

At its final toll, Trenor Park, a serious, straight mouthed man in his fifties with gray-white hair who leaned heavily on his walking stick, an intricate clay piece of craftsmanship with a set of clay wings splaying off from the top of the stick. Upon his appearance, Eliza stepped away from the barrel and Trenor breezed up to the front of the porch, leaning his staff against the railing and raising his hands as if he needed to gather the attention of the crowd.

But all eyes were on him as he spoke, ‘I’m glad to see all of you here, healthy, and in fine spirits.’ Someone in the back of the crowd coughed and in the still of the chill day, it reverberated unsettlingly within the crowd. ‘Well, you all know how this goes of course. No need to bother with all the useless chitter chatter. Eliza, if you would like to begin.’

Eliza mumbled something curtly and stepped forward, reaching into the barrel and removing a slip of paper. She didn’t open it, only held on to it tightly in her free hand.

‘Come now, the rest of you! Line up single file at the south end of the porch and make your way up to Eliza, take your slip, and proceed back out into the lawn without opening the slip.’ Trenor instructed, attempting to lift the mood as he dipped his hand into the barrel nonchalantly and pulling out his own slip of paper.

The people had performed this ritual so many times that they hardly listened to the directions. Every man woman and child was expected to draw for themselves and those too young to draw were handed a slip by dutiful, if not sullen-faced, Eliza. Not including Libby Hall and her newly born son (the only two exempt from attending the drawing) the crowd numbered four hundred and twelve; four hundred and eleven of them would be going home today.

The line draws forward and you shuffle along with the rest of the crowd, take your slip of paper, and tuck it into the sweaty niche of your left palm before cycling around the porch and back out into the lawn until the last of them, elderly Mrs. Geras, hobbled up the steps and took her slip in her fragile clammy palms.

Again, Trenor Park stepped before the crowd along with Eliza who had since closed the ledger and tucked her pencil neatly into her hair. ‘Again, my friends, the time has come to appease the creatures that haunt our lands. Four hundred and twelve slips of paper went into this barrel and none now remain. One persons slip has been marked with a red x. This person shall have the distinct honor of being sent out into the Green Mountains as a gift to the creatures that live within the wild, ensuring for us the security of yet another prosperous harvest and another year safe from misfortune.’

There was an uncomfortably long pause before Trenor, holding his slip of paper before him cleared his throat and said, ‘All right, then.’ For a moment, not a soul moved and then the slips of paper were opened all at once.

The crowd as a whole seemed to sigh before the sudden eruption of women and men alike asking each other’Who is it?’ and ‘Who's got it?’

You look down at the slip and see that in red ink, the x had been drawn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 44887
Reviews: 816

Donate
Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 am
Shearwater wrote a review...



Hey, Lily! I'm here to review this for you. I'm sorry for being a little late to the party. ^^
So, firstly I'd like to say that I don't know much about this program that you're working on, and I only read a short overview of the story "The Lottery" from sparknotes but hopefully my lack of knowledge on this subject won't harm this review too much. :)

The morning of June 26th was gloomy and dismal, not just the sky but the entirety of North Bennington seemed overcast with an unsettling sense of gloom as the villagers lined up beneath the hulking shadow of Trenor Park’s mansion.

I think the repetition of 'gloomy/gloom' can be left out in one place. You can just say the morning was dismal and further it with your description of the sky giving a sense of gloom.

Off in the distance, the church bell rang hauntingly that noon had arrived.

I feel like you're trying hard to keep your sentences varied but this one just sounds odd with the adverb 'hauntingly' followed by 'that noon had arrived.'

Overall, I like your version of this short story better, I think running into the mountains and at least having the possibility of survival conquers over being stoned to death. :/
That said, this text-based adventure plot might be quite interesting to play or go through. For some reason, I keep thinking this is like one of those 'choose your own adventure' books. At least, I think that's what they were called. You know, the ones where you make a decisions between A or B and then turn to that page to see where you're going to end up. Those were fun.

Anyway, I don't have much to comment on this. Since it's a similar concept to another story, I can't really find anything to pick out. My two cents of advice on this would probably be to increase that 'second person' pov that you have going on. I knew ahead of time that you were going to have some second person writing in here but when I did reach that part I was still taken aback. Maybe you can add more of that view into the writing to even it out?

Sorry for this terrible review, lol. If you have questions about anything then you know where to find me. Great read!

-Pink




User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore wrote a review...



LIly! :wink:

Thanks for requesting a review, I'm really glad you did.

So, I searched up Google for Inform since I had no idea about it. I read through some posts but the idea is still not familiar to me. I'd be reviewing you for the story in that case. I don't think you need the review keeping in mind it's an Inform project, so my review might just work fine. Let's see, though.

Let's talk about your first sentence. You're giving a good introduction but when you'll read it again you'll find that it's an horribly long sentence, especially for an opener. Long sentences don't work much and when they are right in the beginning, it 'may' irritate the readers. It's always wise to start with something short and catchy.

Off in the distance, the church bell rang hauntingly indicating that noon had arrived.
You're missing a word there, but you could add something else.

The people had performed this ritual so many times that they hardly listened to the directionsinstructions.


Not including Libby Hall and her newly born son (the only two exempt from attending the drawing) the crowd numbered four hundred and twelve; four hundred and eleven of them would be going home today.
I liked the last line. Indirectly, you tell us that someone's going to die. I like this very much. :wink:

The line drawsdrew forward and you shuffled along with the rest of the crowd, take your slip of paper, and tuck it into the sweaty niche of your left palm before cycling around the porch and back out into the lawn until the last of them, elderly Mrs. Geras, hobbled up the steps and took her slip in her fragile clammy palms.
You've to take care of the tenses. All the while, you had written in past tense but here you made a mistake. You could re-read the entire story to check out for more.



I liked reading this, and now I curse myself for not coming here before. I must say that you've done a great job. I find it difficult to write a 'short' story and I personally believe that it's more difficult to write it than a novel. Mostly because you have to start and finish a story with minimum words and maximum meaning but in a novel you can use your own sweet time to explain things and move the plot forward. That's another thing that slow writing style might not be popular. So whenever writes a good short story, I really feel like applauding. :wink:

As I said before it's difficult to write a short story and that too when you've to interpret and write an already existing one in your own words. Keeping that in mind, you did an awesome job. You know I went and read the synopsis before of the original story and you mentioned each and every important thing. I think the most attractive thing about this has to be your writing style-the way you brought the information into this piece was great. If I have to rate this story, I might do it solely on your writing style.

Anyways, there's this one thing I might like to add. I am not sure what your assignment exactly was but I think that since you've written this in second person you must include more of the person's feelings. Right? You could add in here how she/he feels about this lottery, what are their opinions, how scared she is. Do this without changing the end because I like the line in the end. You could incorporate these things somewhere between the start and middle portion.

Besides this, I don't really have much to say. This was a good attempt and I think it would be a lot better if you just went through the piece once by yourself and fix those tiny errors which are present. Those are not much but you should fix them.

I hope this helps. Well, I'm pretty negative on that, though. :wink:

~Mia




Random avatar

Points: 1355
Reviews: 27

Donate
Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:48 am
ahhhsmusch wrote a review...



My comments are spaced between double parenthesis. Also, I love The Lottery.



The morning of June 26th was gloomy and dismal, not just the sky ((I would move the 'but to after dismal and start a new sentence after sky)) the entirety of North Bennington seemed overcast with an unsettling sense of gloom((gloomy now gloom? I suggest only use gloom once)) as the villagers lined up beneath the hulking shadow of Trenor Park’s mansion. By noon, yourself ((just you sounds smoother to me, but I don't know if it is grammatically correct)) and the rest of the village had assembled on the lawn, every man, woman and child waiting patiently ((are they really waiting patiently? patiently sounds too peaceful for an execution. I would think that they would be nervous, anxious, or something else considering it could be any one of them that will be chosen )) for Mr. Park to appear on the porch. ((Also, I suggest starting a new sentence at 'every man.'))

Every other aspect of the lottery had already been prepared by Eliza, Trenor’s eldest daughter who stood watch over the barrel of paper slips, holding a ledger while tapping away anxiously against the book with her pencil. Off in the distance, the church bell rang hauntingly that noon had arrived.

At its final toll, Trenor Park, a serious, straight mouthed man in his fifties with gray-white hair who ((cut out "who")) leaned heavily on his walking stick, an intricate clay piece of craftsmanship with a set of clay wings splaying off from the top of the stick. Upon his appearance, Eliza stepped away from the barrel and Trenor breezed up to the front of the porch, leaning his staff against the railing and raising his hands as if he needed to gather the attention of the crowd.

But all eyes were on him as he spoke, ‘I’m glad to see all of you here, healthy, and in fine spirits.’ Someone in the back of the crowd coughed and in the still of the chill day, it reverberated unsettlingly within the crowd. ‘Well, you all know how this goes of course. No need to bother with all the useless chitter chatter. Eliza, if you would like to begin.’

Eliza mumbled something curtly and stepped forward, reaching into the barrel and removing a slip of paper. She didn’t open it, only held on to it tightly in her free hand. ((this last sentence is awkwardly long))

‘Come now, the rest of you! Line up single file at the south end of the porch and make your way up to Eliza, take your slip, and proceed back out into the lawn without opening the slip.’ Trenor instructed, attempting to lift the mood as he dipped his hand into the barrel nonchalantly and pulling out his own slip of paper.

The people had performed this ritual so many times that they hardly listened to the directions. Every man((comma) woman(comma)) and child was expected to draw for themselves and those too young to draw were handed a slip by dutiful, if not sullen-faced, Eliza. Not including Libby Hall and her newly born son (the only two exempt from attending the drawing)((period and capitalize the)) the crowd numbered four hundred and twelve; four hundred and eleven of them would be going home today. ((I forget if the original story explicitly said that someone was going to die. By telling now, the story loses the climax.))

The line draws forward and you shuffle along with the rest of the crowd, take your slip of paper, and tuck it into the sweaty niche of your left palm before cycling around the porch and back out into the lawn until the last of them, elderly Mrs. Geras, hobbled up the steps and took her slip in her fragile clammy palms. (this paragraph is in present tense. Up until now it has been past))

Again, Trenor Park stepped before the crowd along with Eliza who had since closed the ledger and tucked her pencil neatly into her hair. ‘Again, my friends, the time has come to appease the creatures that haunt our lands. Four hundred and twelve slips of paper went into this barrel and none now remain. One persons slip has been marked with a red x. This person shall have the distinct honor of being sent out into the Green Mountains as a gift to the creatures that live within the wild, ensuring for us the security of yet another prosperous harvest and another year safe from misfortune.’

There was an uncomfortably long pause before Trenor, holding his slip of paper before him cleared his throat and said, ‘All right, then.’ For a moment, not a soul moved and then the slips of paper were opened all at once.

The crowd as a whole seemed to sigh before the sudden eruption of women and men alike asking each other ’Who is it?’ and ‘Who's got it?’

You look down at the slip and see that in red ink, the x had been drawn. ((again, this is present tense. ))


I think that you should just convert the rest of it to present tense. Overall, good adaption of an awesome story.





The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)