Nothing Left

by FallenAngel97

I lay awake in the middle of the night
Staring blankly at the ceiling
I'm lost inside my head
I can't find a way out

I scream inside my mind
I fight for my life
But still I'm trapped inside
The unpleasent thoughts invading my brain

I think of suicide
And my hand reaches for my knife
I try so desperately to fight the urge
The urge to slice my wrist

But it's an addiction
Once you start you just can't stop
No amount of mental screaming
Can get me out of this one

I'm going insane
I can't control my body or my mind
I'm lost in a sea of memories
Of pain and hate and depression

Please someone help me!
I'm trapped inside my past
The more I try to move forward
The farther I travel back

I'm screaming aloud now
As the knife slices my skin
Like a knife slices a loaf of bread
Deep and thin and precise

The blood gushes out
As I wince and draw the knife back
I watch the crimson substance seep down my arm
But make no effort to stop the bleeding

The blood drips from my arm
In short staccato drops
The pain begins to fade
Along with everything else I know

I can't feel anything anymore
My body has gone numb
I don't care anymore
My heart has lost all hope

The blood that pours out of my veins
Takes everything with it
My dreams and desires
My faith and determination

I'm overcome with a vast numbness
A numbness known as depression
All that's left is a dull ache
And even that is fading

As the nothingness overcomes me
It leaves nothing behind to hold on to
My faith in God grows weaker
And my hope for a better life is soon forgotten

There's simply nothing left
As my heart fades to black

Dreamwalker wrote a review...

Walker here, as requested. Now, love, this poem is very emotional. I don't know if it speaks on a deeper level for yourself or just the passion the moment enveloped within you, but I've never been the type to sit back and say very few words on poetry. So please don't take this as anything other than my trying to be of some help today. I really do mean the best.

That being said, from what I can tell so far, you definitely have the passion to be a poet. But not so much the refinement.

You see, dear, there is a line in which one must cross when stepping into poetry. And that line is marked right between poetry and prose. Does this have any poetic forms? Is it once faceted or multifaceted? Is there really anything in this poem that makes it stand out as a beautiful piece of poetry, or just an interestingly spaced blog post?

You have the passion. It's obvious you do. Simply, you lack form.

This form lies under how you worded yourself. You are so blunt with this that it almost seems as if you're following a story rather than writing a heartfelt poem. The whole 'this is what happened. This is what I'm feeling. This happened after that.' sort of ideology, which you listed out throughout the entire poem. Truth be told, hun, that's not always the greatest form and, in this case, got redundant really quickly.

What I would suggest at this point is working on a more multifaceted front. What layers did you put down? Comparisons? Imagery? You have a lot of 'I feel like this. I do that' but you don't have a lot of metaphors and similes to make this a real stand alone. Or anything different than prose. After all, prose is generally once or double faceted. They keep generally close to the same layer the entire way through.

Instead of saying, let's say;

As the nothingness overcomes me
It leaves nothing behind to hold on to
My faith in God grows weaker

Which sounds melodramatic with only one facet, why don't we say:

"I am surrounded by a blanket of darkness
yet grip at the non-existent sheets, hopeless
like the omnipotent breath fading on my skin
a deep, shuddering howl of wind that knocks
away my will."

As you can see, I made all of your points, but I did so by using imagery (howling wind), as well as faceting the poem out so that instead of simply saying 'the nothing', I'm giving a comparison to nothing with the darkness a blanket brings.

That way, one gets this connection of images that floods the mind in a way that simply stating what you mean could never.

Anyways, if you have any questions about this review, or need a deeper inspection, feel free to message me and I'll be here in a jiffy.

Keep writing. I want to see you grow!
~Walker

thanks for the review! And yeah, this wasn't my best poem, and that's one reason why I requested for you to review it. To give me advice on how to make future poems better. I wrote a poem recently, called "Depression" and I described it as a monster crawling inside of you, eating your heart and then settling in your heart cavity and becoming your new hate filled heart. And it lurks in your mind and things like that. I tried to give you an image of a monster inside someone, attacking them from the inside.
It's alot more descriptive than this one, but that's why I requested the review. When I write about life stories, I get angry and start focusing more on my anger than I do on the poem itself.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 am
PaperNessa wrote a review...

I really liked this poem. It got more intense as the narrator began to cut/ think of cutting his/herself. The darkness of the poem was relatable and understandable. This was great to read. The only thing I would suggest is to add some punctuation, however, this poem is flawless other than that.

keep writing,
nessa

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton