z

Young Writers Society



Harlequin

by TinyDancer


Just a bit of helpful information...the tune to this is very similar to that of a carousel.  It's in 3/4, and the type of tune you picture when you're at the circus or something.

~Harlequin~

You send them on roller coaster rides.
You spin them like cotton candy.
You hide from behind your harlequin mask.

Playing with hearts like they're carnival games,
Standing them up just to shoot them again.
And you laugh when they tumble,
Pick your next prize.

You're so irresistable, and
You tease them with sweets.
You chase them through houses of mirrors,
Disguising yourself with feathers and beads

Playing with hearts like they're carnival games,
Standing them up just to shoot them again.
And you laugh as they tumble,
Pick your next prize.

You beckon them in with a wave of your hand,
And a sparkle in your eye.
"I'll tell you your fortune," you say.
Somewhere a music box plays
That same old tune.

Playing with hearts like they're carnival games,
Standing them up just to shoot them again.
And you laugh as they tumble,
Pick your next prize.

You send them on roller coaster rides.
You spin them like cotton candy.
You hide from behind your harlequin mask.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 am
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Hi, Dancer!

So this is really just... awesome. It kinda really is. A lot of songs are in 4/4, so it's an extremely fun discovery running into a 3/4 song or any other non-4/4 piece!

Let me hit the couple nitpicks I found before venturing into my deepest, darkest thoughts:

You're so irresistable, and
You tease them with sweets.
You chase them through houses of mirrors,
Disguising yourself with feathers and beads


The last two lines here didn't really fit with the two prior, rhythmically speaking. It's probably not anything to worry about though since you've got it all figured out with the music. Just something I noticed!

Somewhere a music box plays
That same old tune.


I'd have liked to see a foreshadowing or another mention of "tunes" or "music boxes". I think it would be fun to throw in there anyway. Judging from how well-written this song is, I think you could figure something out if you wanted. :)

Okay. So I liked this. In fact, I think it's the uniqueness that caught me. I usually run into fiction stories about carnivals, rarely a poem, and nnnnnot any lyrics. xD So you probably got a lot of brownie points for creativity just now.

I like this though. Fabulous imagery, and it all ties so well as a metaphor for the situation it's describing. The fortune teller was an interesting turn as well. I never really consider fortune tellers, but then again, I'm not really a fan of them. Sssso no wonder, ja? But it's fun. I really like how you give that fortune teller "act," if you will, such an alluring perspective from an outsider's view. That was awesome.

It's all very well done. I just... can't really get over that. xD I'm so sorry I'm unhelpful. It's well done, though. So well done. I hope to see more from you!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!




User avatar


Points: 1100
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:31 am
DreamGalaxy says...



Wow! This is a really amazing piece. It brings out the real eeriness of a carnival and it seems to com
pare it to someone like a (I'm gonna be blunt and honest with what I feel it represents.) player!

Well it was great and I enjoyed it! :)
(it just had that touch to it!)




TinyDancer says...


Thank you so much! Yeah, the person it's about is a player, and dishonest, and is very two-faced (like someone wearing a mask, hence the title). So you're right on that one! Thanks again for your kind words :)

~Jess



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 25520
Reviews: 308

Donate
Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 am
AlfredSymon wrote a review...



Hey Tiny D! Al here for a Quick Critique! So, a lyric on Harlequin, well, I simply love clowning around! The shimmer and glimmer of the circus amazes me! Let's see if your lyrics astounded me! (Lemme say, it did :) )

CONCEPT & THEME: :D :D :D :D :D
Surreally inventive! Romance in the country carnival is quite cliche in 90's movies, but this is the first time I read the concept on a song; let me say, you did a good job! It's very different, a little bit on the unique side. But contrary to its extraordinariness, it kinda reminds me of home, the good times in the fair and the nightly chill. What intrigued me here is the interesting use of the concept. Instead of having a simple romance, you made a vengeful ballad to a heartbraker which, more or less, you've met on the carnies. The use of words is brilliant! 'Spend them like this' and 'spin them like that' are great ways of contrast and comparison. I give you a perfect FIVE!

TECHNICALITIES: :D :D :D :D
Wow! Your piece is CLEAN! There are just two things I was confused of. First is in the pilot line;I think it should be 'send them to' not exactly on. On is still usable of course, but to give a clear imagery, 'to', I believe is more advisable. Second is the fifth stanza. The wholeness of the piece is simple sweet, and I think it would clearly be better if you made that stanza simple. It was a bit, just a bit, indirect, unlike most of your lines.

RHYTHM: :D :D :D :) :)
Carnival song! I like it! The time signature seems fit enough, so a point for that. The words are finely put up into verses, and speaking of verse, they were cut goodly. Just remember to keep the theme of your piece with the tempo!

IMAGERY: :D :D :D :D
What I also like about your piece is the rich imagery. It was as if I was really in the carnie! I think it would do a lot better if you add more of those nostalgic lines which reminds your readers about the things you can see, hear and smell in the park, for more enjoyment! But revise or not, the imagery of this piece is a two-thumbs up!

OVERALL: :D :D :D :D :)
What an overwhelming score! Lemme say, Tiny D, you astounded me! Just clear the few klinks and polish the words a bit and your lyrics are ready for production!

Your Quick Critic,
Al

PS If the critique appeals to your taste, don't forget to share it with your friends!




TinyDancer says...


Hi there! Thank you so much for the review! I was not expecting such good marks! This piece was definitely a step of faith for me because I've neer written anything quite like it. Usually with lyrics, I stick to bluesy stuff. I battled tirelessly between "to" and "on" with my opening line and in the end, "on" won. However, now that I have a second opinion, I'm second guessing myself and I think I shall take your advice and change it back to "to" again. As for my 5th stanza, it was meant to be different. There's two reasons why: first of all, it's the bridge. The tempo and time signature changes here. Second of all, I'm describing a fortune teller in the situation and fortune tellers are always a bit mysterious and indirect, no? I also wanted to give a sense of familiarity through the mysteriousness. This person I'm describing cuts their victims down the same way every time...being sweet in the beginning but then sending them through cloudy mindgames... and I was trying to convey that constancy with a piece of imagery and I thought a music box in a fortune teller's tent did the trick quite nicely. However, I will work to make this section better! I appreciate your kind words and helpful remarks, and this piece is definitely a work-in-progress so your review helped me out a lot! Thank you so much!

~Jess



User avatar
355 Reviews


Points: 2099
Reviews: 355

Donate
Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:29 pm
LadySpark says...



I really like it, I have to say.

You might want to consider punctuation though. To someone like me, lack of punctuation is distracting, and I get side tracked thinking of how to fix it in my head. If you're little confused on how to write punctuation in a poem, drop me a line. I'd be glad to help.

I thought the idea was original, and very fresh. I liked it :)
~Drama.




TinyDancer says...


Hi there! Thanks for the review. I do know how to punctuate poetry, but since these are song lyrics (and rather hastily jotted ones at that), I guess I neglected to include punctuation because my brain doesn't work in punctuation when writing song lyrics. It just flows like one long, continuous thought. But again, I've failed to remember that not everybody thinks like me and to keep you all sane, I will definitely go back and add punctuation. Thank you again for your kind review!

~Jess




One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah