He Could Not Escape

by thebookworm

He ran.
He hurtled a bush.
He ran.
He continued on.
He ran.
He left it all behind.
He ran.
He left the pain.
He ran.
He left his failure.
He ran.
He could not escape.

.He tried.
He couldn't.
He only failed again.
He couldn't leave his past behind.
He ran no more.
He could not escape.

He faced his crimes.
He faced his peers.
He faced death.
He faced it in the form of a dead tree.
He faced a tree that had killed others before him.
He faced it in the form of an old rope.
He faced a rope that killed others before him.

He could not escape.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 pm
ShootingStars wrote a review...

Hi! This Shooting Stars as you have requested!

The beginning feels very repetitive. I know that this is probably what you are going for, but it gets slightly old. However, despite what I just said, I kind of like the feel of it. Maybe if you took out a few of the lines in the first stanza, then it would not be so boring to read.

Also, in this: "He left his failure, He ran, He could not escape..." I think that it's an odd wording because if he left failure, then why couldn't he escape? Maybe you should add a "but" in front of "He could not escape."

In the second stanza and before the very first word, there's a period. I don't think it should be there, so you should erase it. I think it's just a small typo.

The ending is very surprising, shocking, and adds a twist. It took me a second to realize what was happening and then I thought, "Whoa!" I really liked it.

For the most part I enjoyed it, but like I said before it feels repetitive. What Emilybrodo said about the "hurtling the bush" I disagree with. It makes sense and gives me a good image in my head of what's happening. Good job overall! :-D

---Shooting Stars

thebookworm says...

Thanks. I'll work on that.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:04 am
emilybrodo wrote a review...

Em here,

This starts out not very well, but ends in a sort of shocking way.

I don't really like the second sentence, 'he hurtled a bush.' To me it just sounds odd. It does, however, give a nice image in a way. That's the only thing I dislike about this poem, the rest is pretty good.

It has nice repetition, with every line starting with 'he' and every verse ending with, 'he could not escape.'

I like the last verse the most. When I read it I picture a dark sort of tree, and then a black rope tied to the tree and tied into a noose. Saying he faced all these things kind of suggests he was paid justice.

It also shows the viewer what it's like to be a criminal in the days where crime was paid with death.

Very nice.

From Em, XD

thebookworm says...

Thank you. What do you suggest I should swicth " He hurtled a bush" with?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm
Rava100 wrote a review...

I really like this poem because of the story it tells. I only have a few suggestions.

The second line doesn't make much sense. I recommend changing it to "He hurtled over a bush".

Also, in the second stanza, the story would read better if you switched around the first two lines to put them in sequential order: "He tried. He couldn't." If that doesn't work, you could add a flashback instead: "He couldn't. He had tried."

I'm not sure if you are wanting to go for a definite rhythm in the third stanza, but if you are then you could change "He faced a rope" to "He faced it in the form of an old rope", to parallel with the line about the tree.

Over all this was a very good poem, and I enjoyed it a lot. Good job!

thebookworm says...

Thanks! I'll work on it.

thebookworm says...

I worked on it. I don't know what to change the second verse to, though.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm
Rava100 says...

I really like this poem because of the story it tells. I only have a few suggestions. In the line

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King