Following the Red Thread

by VampireSenshi

Following the Red Thread

There's an ancient Chinese myth about The Red Thread of Fate. It says that the gods have tied a red thread around our ankles and attached it to all the people whose lives we we're destined to touch. This thread may stretch, or tangle, but it will never break…

This is my story:

I guess one could say that my life was one that I lived well in many cases. But others would argue that my life was long wasted. My name is Reece Mathers; I’m tall, black haired, blue eyed. Most would tell you that I have a charming and funny personality. I’m a natural leader, some one that would never give up on something that they had set their minds too. I can’t really argue with that, seeing as how those particular things lead me to my death…

But that’s skipping too far ahead; let me start from the beginning.

February 29th 2008

My seventeenth birthday, the day started fairly normal. I was awoken by my mother, who was as tender and loving as any other mother could be on the birthday of her eldest son.

“Good Morning Sweetheart!” she said with a smile. “Happy Birthday”

I got up out of bed, hugging her.

“Thanks mom…”

She kissed me on the cheek.

“Sorry that you have to go to school on your birthday, but I made a special breakfast for you. So go ahead and get ready so you can eat.” She said, walking out of the door.

I walked out of my room and into the bathroom, I took a five minute shower, the water was warmer than usual. When I got out of the shower I dried off, brushing my hair thoroughly. Then of course I brushed it back into a mess, covering my forehead just above my eyes.

When I got back into my room, I dressed in a pair of khaki cargo shorts and a black and blue t-shirt. For some reason I decided to look down, what I saw was a shock.

Tied around my right ankle, I could just barely make out a thin red string.

“What the…” I said

I bent down, reaching toward the string. It was indeed tied to my ankle, yet there didn’t seem to be any knot connecting it. It just looked like I was attached.

I followed the path of the thread with my eyes; it ran out of my door, then down the stairs.

“Intriguing” – I said to myself.

I walked out of the door to my room, down the stairs. Then into the living room, inside of the kitchen was my mother busily cooking breakfast. I could see that the red thread connected to her ankle as well, it ran out the door to the backyard.

I turned to face the couch, seated on the bigger couch was my little sister Catherine who was thirteen. She shot me a look between bites of toast, her attention partially consumed by the Morning News.

She had her long legs crossed and propped up on the coffee table that was in the center of the living room surrounded by our two couches and a reclining chair for dad. By the looks of it, there was a red thread on attached to her ankle as well. I curved around the couch and connected to the string on my ankle about a foot in front of me.

“Happy Birthday Brother,” she said. “Congratulations on surviving seventeen years”

“Thanks Sis,” I retorted

For breakfast my mom had made my favorite breakfast; Chocolate Chip Pancakes. I made sure to put an extra amount of syrup over the top, delicious. But during the time I was eating, the only thing that I could think about was the string that was attached to my ankle.

Has that always been there?

Why can I just see it now?

Hundreds of questions bounced around in my head. The only thing that was to drain the noisy thoughts in my head was the morning news that we always had on for the morning. We had decided a long time ago that trying to agree what cartoons to watch in the morning had become too much of a hassle. So Catherine suggested the Morning News, no one else had any objections.

The News caster cut from the weather to a Breaking News Bulletin, a car crash on the highway. There was an overhead helicopter that was surveying the damage. After cutting to a camera down on the street, a reporter started interviewing the crash victims. The crash looked fairly gruesome, but no one was seriously injured. They helped a man from his car, I could just barely see, another red thread! Connected to his ankle, seeing this, I could feel the string connected to my ankle became warmer.

I finished my breakfast and got ready for school. I brushed my teeth and grabbed my backpack just in time to walk out the door and walk the couple blocks to my school. Rosevelt High was a small school compared to some of the high schools in the other districts. But it was ranked high when it came to GPA’s.

I met my friends outside of the school in the courtyard before heading inside.

“Happy Birthday Leap Year!” said my best friend Sasha Brooks.

Sasha and I had been best friends since fifth grade, we did everything together. Next to her was my other best friend Chess Martin. He and I were forced to be friends when our fathers started to work together at the same law firm. Eventually, we became best friends.

We walked together until Sasha had to veer off to her home room. She was a little bit shorter than me; long black hair usually covered her face or was pushed behind her ears. She had these kind grey eyes that just made you melt. She was turning the heads of boys and breaking hearts ever since sixth grade. That’s my girl…

Me and Chess walked into our home room and sat in the very last two corner seats next to the computers.

Chess was the same height as me; he wore glasses with a black plastic rim. His face was covered in freckles and acne. His red hair was very thin and was usually kept long enough to cover his forehead. But never long enough to cover his eyes.

Our Home room teacher talked on and on about something boring enough for me and Chess not to listen, but important enough to grab the attention of the rest of the class. Not that she ever grabbed me and Chess’ attention.

The rest of the day was typically normal, except for the multiple perks of my birthday. Several birthday greetings, a cupcake at lunch; that sort of thing. But the whole of the school day, I was staring down at my ankle.

Over the course of the day I discovered that this red thread was connected to a lot of people in my school. There were a few students whom I had never met before, but the rest I had come to an acquaintance with.

I didn’t tell anyone about the thread. When I was asked about my staring down at peoples ankles, I played it off as me just thinking.

When I got home I put all my stuff in my room, and the family went to dinner. A birthday dinner none the less, we went to Old Chicago (my favorite restaurant, not Catherine’s though which is why I picked it).

We went home to a cake and ice cream, and spent the rest of the night playing video games. But every so often, I would stare at my ankle and inquire silently about the origin of the thread. And then, satisfied I’d spent enough time thinking about this thing that was attached to my ankle. I went to bed.

When I woke up the next morning, the thread was gone…

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 am
thebookworm wrote a review...

Hi this is Book, just like you wanted.

This was very interesting. It was very good, except for some bad grammar. I like how Reese's birthday and the only day he saw the strings was on leap year. It enhances the fact that you based this off of a myth. I liked the detail you added in it. I absolutely enjoyed it.

Great job!

Blues wrote a review...

Hi, Senshi! I'm here as requested.

Before I begin, could I ask why everything is bold? Or is it a simple coding error like forgetting the slash before the b? xD

Anyway! First impressions: Wow! How interesting - I've never heard of that myth. I'm actually looking at my feet and trying to look for red threads xD

I didn't notice very many grammatical errors which was good. However, I do have a few nitpicks:

I was really intrigued by your opening! I absolutely loved it when you mentioned the myth. It was really intriguing. I think the introduction spoiled it though (as in the bit where Reece introduces himself). Normally, that kind of thing is often a bit cliché, so people who do include it put a really interesting twist on it where they ... pretty much attack the cliché. It's been so overused - that's what makes it a cliche. The intros with that style of of opening that are successful have a twist on it that makes people enjoy it - they know the cliche and they enjoy the twist. Did that make sense? I think I rambled xD

My point is that if you want to keep the introduction of the narrator, put a really cool twist on it where you pretty much turn the cliché on its head. Or lose it all together as all of that info could be put into the story in other places. The info isn't really needed anyway. It's not essential to the story 0 but the myth is.

I also think you kid ditch the description of Chess - since it's a short story, and we don't see much of him, there's no need for the info. It's not necessary to the story. Neither is the GPA stuff.

Otherwise, I really liked it! The main issue for me here was the unnecessary inclusion of details that we wouldn't need for a short story. It's not a novel, so there's little need for it. If it was a novel though - you'd have to integrate the information where it's not telling it or listing it so that the reader is overloaded with information! They'll probably forget most of it.

So. That's it from me - not a very long story so not a very long review from me xD I hope I helped and feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.

~Blues

Hey! Up&Out here as requested!

Let me start off by saying that you have a great piece here. It's interesting and a bit mysterious. The only thing I could see from an editing viewpoint is a few gramatical errors.

The first is when you talk about Reece taking a five minute shower. You use a comma where you should use a semi-colon. Or you can rephrase it as "I took a five minute shower, the water warmer than usual."

The second is a little further down when speaking of how the thread appears to be attached. Did you mean "It looked like IT was attached"?

Third, the question "Why can I just see it now?". It sounds a little off. Maybe you should rephrase it as "Why am I just seeing it now?" or "Why haven't I seen it until now?"

Fourth, when speaking of Reece's friendship with Chess, the last line in the paragraph is a little off too. Try "Eventually, we accepted the friendship" since you've already clarified that they were best friends.

Fifth, "That's my girl..." Is the elipse necessary?

Sixth, "Not that she ever grabbed me and Chess' attention." Try "Not that she ever grabbed OUR attention," seeing as you've already addressed that they are together in the class and are both not listening to the teacher.

Lastly, the parenthesis part. Try "my favorite restaurant, though not Catherine's which is why i picked it"

Other than that, great job! I really like how you tied in an ancient myth into a modern twist.

Keep writing! :D

thanx!!!

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren