z

Young Writers Society



Fear of the Bubble

by Inkswirl


This is just a short description of a specific situation - after reading it, could you tell me in addition to any comments you want to make, if it's clear what I'm trying to describe? :P Thanks :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alone again, doing everything alone, as usual. Constantly meeting people, but ultimately I can only ever rely on myself. And until recently, that was all right. Until recently, I thought I could do this, I thought I was strong enough. I could always rely on myself. Then it began.

The pounding comes first, rushing blood beating a regular drumbeat to my breath. The thought flits across my mind - not again, not now, oh no. Respiration becomes more difficult, I can’t take a proper breath, I can’t breathe. I lean forward, as if that might stifle the reaction, as if that might stop the tears of helplessness, the terror flooding my veins. I want to scream, but I don’t know if I can find my voice under the pressure which seems to build up around me.

People stare. Or I think they do - perhaps they don’t notice me at all. Perhaps the bubble I feel locked inside veils me from their eyes. The bubble from which some cruel force is sucking out the oxygen, the bubble which seems to be closing in around me until it touches me, covers my skin with perspiration. The bubble with transparent walls, impossible to break down and escape from. It tightens, seeps into me, encompasses my lungs.

I’ll be okay, I’ll be fine, everything’s okay - please, please stop this, someone help me...

I feel as if my entire body is being pressed through some microscopic hole, condensed, forced into a smaller space than it belongs in. I can’t see the outside, I need fresh air, I need space - but there are only people and walls and more people and voices and they are all crowding in on me and demanding my attention - I can hear them speaking but I don’t understand the words, I can’t focus on them, I don’t know what’s happening, I can’t do this...

You can do this alone, it’s okay, everything’s fine, nothing’s really happening, it’s all in you’re head, you’ll be okay...

Perhaps nobody’s reacting because nothing’s really happening. Yes, that must be it. So don’t start crying now, don’t draw more attention to yourself, stop the tears, oh God stop the tears, why can’t I breathe, I can’t breathe... Slowly, now. In, out, in, out. Focus on the words on the page in front of you. Read them as you breathe, in, out, then in again. Rhythm. Just as if you were jogging, the same rhythm... No, don’t get distracted now, focus on the words, the words. There’s nothing else but you and the words and your breath - slow, deep breaths.

It’s okay now. It will be okay. You’re breathing, you’re fine. Just hold on, you’ve made it through now and everything’s all right.

And then comes the inescapable, terrifying thought - when will the bubble return?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2832
Reviews: 93

Donate
Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 am
~Volant~ wrote a review...



Hello! Sorry, this took so long...I've been working on a billion deadlines, lol.

One thing you should know about me as a writer and as an editor, I really pay close attention to emotional impact. How you manipulate me and what kind of weights are behind your words. Just letting you know straight up that a lot of this is subjective, just as a reader's first impression.


First, to answer your question....um, I don't really know what's being described. Some kind of anxiety attack, or claustrophobia, would be my guess, but I don't know for sure.

Just a general thought; I feel like you could've really pushed the climb and fall on this piece. I feel like you started out too high and didn't have enough space to climb. The fall was better, relaxing and breathing and trying to get it back under control, though I still think you could've pushed it even further.

For instance, at the end, I feel like you were trying to drop us at a cliffhanger or some kind of tight "What happened next?" rather than a simple dread, which is what I think you were going for.

This is how I'd organize it. Dread: being alone, worrying about being strong enough. Shock: something is happening. Panic: What is happening?! Whatever it is, it sounds terrifying! Reassurance: Oh, good, it's under control...what a struggle!! I hope they're okay! Dread: What if they're not? What will they do when it comes again?
That way, you have a nice circular composition going to keep us engaged and emotionally invested.

There were no obvious grammar mistakes that I could see, which was a huge relief. XD It's amazing how much that can impact a story, lol.

Overall, I liked it. It has great description. I love when we're just given the thoughts and feelings like this, dragging us along to experience what's going on without any distractions. Nicely done!

Hope I helped!




User avatar
178 Reviews


Points: 652
Reviews: 178

Donate
Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:57 am
View Likes
Paracosm wrote a review...



Hey there! Time for your review! First off, I'm going to tell you how I review, for your convenience. When I give a review, I start with grammar, spelling, and syntax. After that, i progress to things like setting, character, and theme. Finally, I give my opinion of the piece!

Grammar, spelling, and syntax!

'Alone again, doing everything alone, as usual.'

I think this sentence sounds a bit off. You could reword it and make it flow better, it'd also make more sense. The way it is now sounds kind of redundant. I would try something like this, "Alone again, as usual. I'm always alone." There are of course, other options as to how you reword it, if you do at all.

'And until recently, that was all right'

Nothing is wrong with this one except for "all right". It should be "alright".

Wow! Great job with your grammar stuff! I only caught two very small things. On to setting, character, and theme.

Hmm... Nothing to say about setting really.

Nothing on character either.

Now! Theme! I can talk about this! From what I've gathered, I believe this is about a panic attack. Panic attacks suck, very much, and you described one very well. I love the bubble metaphor, it's easy to relate to, especially if you've had something like this happen to you.

And finally, my opinion. I loved it. I know, I know, that's not what you want to hear, you want me to tell you something useful. Well really, I wouldn't change much, except for the last full paragraph. It's disjointed feeling does add to the effect of the narrative, but it's kind of awkward as well. If anything, I'd keep the disjointed feel, but try and make it feel more cohesive.

Anyway! I'm sorry my review is so short and kind of crappy. I guess that means you did your job as far as editing goes! Good luck, and keep writing! If you have any questions, shoot me a message!




Inkswirl says...


Thank you so much ! :D I really appreciate the review, and it is helpful :D I'm glad you liked it, but yes, I need to make sure my disjointed stuff doesn't impact coherence and effect negatively... will pay attention to that in the future :) Thanks a million again, let me know if you want me to have a look at something too :)



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 1178
Reviews: 23

Donate
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm
View Likes
Mjdwrite wrote a review...



Hello there, oh dear I do hope you are not describing a situation that you have been through! This sounds absolutely horrid! It seems to me as though you are describing a panic attack. I may be wrong as I often am but that is the only thing I can think of that would fit this situation. You did a marvelous job describing it. I myself began breathing a bit harder and fearing any number of dreadful things. You could have clarified what words you were speaking of at the time, "There’s nothing else but you and the words and your breath - slow, deep breaths," but once I reread it once or twice, it made a gargantuan amount of sense. I know that you could have stressed where your character was a tad more, I know that is not the important part, but I think it makes the scene much clearer.
I did enjoy your story very much once I finished panicking myself. It was very descriptive and appropriately written! Thank you for a good read.




Inkswirl says...


Thanks for the feedback! :D I was initially trying to place it in an airport before a flight, but then I kept getting ideas of it happening in other places and it ended up being a bit of a mix... and yes, panic attack indeed. I've been having them lately so I figured I'll try writing them. You're right, I should have been a bit more clearer in places... need to make sure I'm not so involved in what I'm writing next time, especially when editing. :P Thanks again for the comment! :)




We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead