Falling Flame

by Angelreader77

You slow down to a stroll, letting him run ahead. His laughter echoes in your ears making you smile. But that’s all over in a moment. He starts crossing the street, and you yell at him to be careful. But your voice never reaches him, drowning in a screech of tires. You’re running, your feet not hitting the asphalt fast enough.

***

I adjust the mirror, humming a tune. The cigarette drops. Cursing, I fumble in the darkness for it, but my hands meet nothing but air. I look down not wanting the car to catch fire. Where is it? The car swerves and I look up again. My eyes finally notice the figure in front. I shout, pushing the brake. The screech of tires drowns in a blood curling scream.

***

I wake up to the wail of sirens. My head is pounding and I can’t see anything. That’s when I figure out I’m lying down. I shoot up, and look around. I’m in an ambulance. My blood turns cold when I realise why.

“Where am I?”, I say. A paramedic turns around to look at me.

“Are you feeling alright?”

When I continue glaring at him, he says, “A car accident. You blacked out.”

“Was anyone hurt?”

The man doesn’t say anything, just motions at a figure in a stretcher. I squint, trying to see better. And it hits me when I see you. Strong arms pull at me before I even realize I’m running. It can’t be.

I kneel down beside you, unbelieving. You don’t say anything or even meet my eyes.

The grief in your eyes reflects my own. Footsteps approach us and I instinctively turn around. The paramedic and a police officer.

“Could the boy have survived?”, a voice says.

“I doubt it. Even if the driver had managed to stop the car, the boy would be severely injured.”

“So the driver isn’t the one to blame?”

“Not really. If the boy had stopped, and the car weren’t moving so fast…”

I close my eyes, taking your hand in mine and let myself cry.

Wolferion wrote a review...

Cheers! =) Here as requested! Your work, alongside my comments, is in the spoiler!

You slow down to a stroll, letting him run ahead. His laughter echoes in your ears making you smile. But that’s all over in a moment. He starts crossing the street, and you yell at him to be careful. But your voice never reaches him, drowning in a screech of tires. You’re running, your feet not hitting the asphalt fast enough. And then, darkness.
- I do like how you started there; it's a fast change of pace into action through a short, yet decisive description. However, the last line 'And then, darkness.' bugs me. I believe it'd be better if you left it out, leaving it to our imagination as to what happens next - we can tell from the previous sentence that it's going to be bad.
***

I adjust the mirror, humming a tune. The cigarette drops. Cursing, I fumble in the darkness for it, but my hands meet nothing but air. I look down not wanting the car to catch fire. Where is it? The car swerves and I look up again. My eyes finally notice the figure in front. I shout, pushing the brake. The screech of tires drowns in a blood curling scream, and then, darkness.
-I could say the same here, the last line 'and then, darkness' kind of bugs me, it breaks the whole flow and pace. I believe it'd go better without it.
***

“Are you feeling alright?”

“Was anyone hurt?”

-I can see so far the sentences are short on purpose and they do resemble a hammer, hitting, loudly, solid. It's a nice impact, it does strike.

“So the driver isn’t the one to blame?”

- A sad story, ey. It does strike one's memory, I'm sure I will remember it.

To skip to general, I can't really spot mistakes in your work, since your sentences are short on a purpose, using semicolons or commas or whatever wouldn't work much. The grammar seems intact, the words are chosen well. While this is a flash story, it has an impact and it is quite memorizeable, which is good. You strike the reader like a hammer hitting bell, it does good. My only complain would be the last lines I pointed out in the spoiler - they break the flow, the hammer like feeling, they are unnecessary. Leave the rest to our imagination. If you mean that the whoever is a parent of the boy, blacked out, you already tell us that in the third scene, so we have no need to have you break your flow with the darkness in 1st scene. Just leave it to our imagination; the main message and the main chain of events is firmly given, the rest is up to us.

Best regards,
~Kyou

figureofspeech says...

Noooo! That's so sad! I thought the use of first person was really good. Referring to the boy as you instead of by name was a good idea. I don't think I've seen that before.

The transition from the first section, to the second, to the third was confusing. which character was which? But the impact of the ending was very profound for me.

The grief in your eyes reflects my own. Footsteps approach us and I instinctively turn around. The paramedic and a police officer. <------- I assume the boy died, but this section made it unclear.

I would have liked to have known the relationship between the two characters in the third section. That would have made the ending more emotionally gripping.

I love the ending line. It was perfect. *Like*

tinkembell wrote a review...

Hi, Angelreader77!

First off, I really liked this piece. I loved the surreal feeling in the first section, I think it sounds great in second person. I especially liked this part:

You’re running, your feet not hitting the asphalt fast enough. And then, darkness.

It was sort of pretty in a way, and it felt like a cliffhanger even though I knew there was more to read :D. The emotion in the third section was wonderful, and it was great how she (I'm assuming it was a girl) was just there silently with the boy while people where talking about him.
Overall it was really intruiging, I wanted to know who these characters were, what they meant to each other.

There's one thing that's holding this back from being amazing, and because of it I found it hard to focus on the actual writing - my brain was working harder to make sense of everything. All the different pov's are just too overwhelming for such a short piece, they distract more than enhance. If you read it over, I'm guessing (because it's difficult to know for sure) that it goes like this:

part one: /You/ are character A, and character B is is in the road.
part two: First person from character C, whose car has just crashed into B
part two: First person from character A, realising that character B is dead(?).

All together, it makes a very confusing mush of different pov's from different characters, that hurts
your brain to think about, and takes a long time to process.
I think that it would be best to chose either an all knowing third person, stick to second person, or have it in first person from character A's point of view, then that would really show your story brilliantly, and it would flow a lot better.

Anyway, aside from that, I really like this story :). *hits like*

~Tinkem

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women