z

Young Writers Society



Life's A Process

by TheClosetKidnapper


How was it that bad things happen to good people? My boyfriend was a good person, a great person. He never did anything he knew his father – who his family had lost in Iraq two years prior – wouldn’t have approved of. His brother was the reckless, wild definition of the teenage species. Not Liam. He was quiet and soft spoken, shy yet outgoing, hardworking and smart.

Why was it him who was hurt the most? After losing his father, worse upon worse had been stacked upon him. He just shrugged it off and focused on the silver lining, which was sometimes me and sometimes his brother Gio.

All he needed was a smooth ride out of high school and he’d tell us every time we’d get worried. He made big plans to go to Harvard, which he was in line for a scholarship there, and to take me with him. I was gonna go to Cambridge University for my counseling degree and share an apartment with him. We were going to work after school and come home each evening to each other. He was going to marry me right out of high school but we agreed to not have kids until we’d at least gotten our masters degrees.

But things changed after his accident. He’d been driving and his mother had been killed. It was a collision involving a drunk driver but he took all the blame. He pushed me and Gio away and locked himself inside his own mind – never speaking, hardly coming to school, and running away from foster home after foster home.

I, Nicole Forester, was out of Liam Gray’s life. He disappeared and didn’t come back. Gio vanished soon after, trying to find him, and I was left all alone and cold in a world that used to be so bright. I didn’t get married right out of high school, didn’t go to Cambridge, and didn’t have kids with the one person I dreamed of having them with. Love was just a word, a forgotten memory.

When I finally had gotten over Liam, he was dropped right back into my life. A letter had appeared in my mail from a mental institution addressed to me. I opened it, puzzled, and racked my mind for recognition of who I knew in a place like that. That’s when my eyes set on the familiar, sloppy cursive. My heart fluttered and my eyes burned with sorrow.

My Nikki,

I apologize, firstly, for ever leaving. We could have had everything, the world in our hands, and I just ran away from it. I threw my life away and I hope that I didn’t damage yours. You deserved better than me anyway. You deserved to go to Princeton, not Cambridge, and to have control over your own life, instead of letting me dictate where you should have gone.

Did I ever tell you that you always looked best, natural, in sweatpants and that baggy sweatshirt that you always seemed to steal from me? You were so beautiful and the thought of you being my girl made me scared. I was afraid that I would say the wrong thing, or push you away. And I did, at the very end…

Though I would be overjoyed if you wrote back, I don’t believe that it would be best. I don’t want to take up any of your time or get my hopes up again. I just wanted you to know that I’m sorry and that I’m okay. You were my everything and I shouldn’t have given you up.

Apologies and Love,

Your Lost Liam

The paper was splattered with my tears before it fluttered like a leaf to the floor. I took the envelope and looked up the return address. It was the depression and emotional trauma branch in New York, a thousand miles away. Before I knew what I was doing, I had the airline on the phone. What am I doing, I thought. I’m over him. He doesn’t want me to write back, not to mention flying out there.

I hung up the phone and sighed, breathing in the scent of Old Spice, which he and his brother never went without. A smile stretched thinly across my lips as I remembered all of the times we laughed, held each other, kissed, and cried together. The smile faded when I realized that it would never be like that again, not with him. Liam was right in the last words he’d written; he was lost but I wasn’t.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 234 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 1031
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:29 pm
NicholasStone says...



Very well written. I congratulate you. I liked your choice of words, and how you didn't reuse the same words like so many writers do. Not really much to criticize, in my opinion. Similar to what Figureofspeech said, it would have been good to maybe see a flashback of a happy moment. Maybe right after reading the letter. Also, add some more detail. You say that she got over him, but we don't even know how depressed she was in the first place. Any horrible ordeal with the boy? Like her trying to get through to him. Add some of that stuff. And I know it was intended, but the whole thing is rather depressing. This rarely happens to me when I read, but I actually felt sorry for the girl. That takes some serious writing.

All in all, this is already good the way it is. I certainly wouldn't change much. You should enter it into a short story contest.




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1406
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:25 am
figureofspeech says...



I liked this story, though I would have loved a scene of the two of them together when everything was happy. What were they like together? How did they express their love for each other?

The other thing that could use more detail was when he disappeared. Did she cry? Was she angry? Did she push people away, or try to find people to try to insulate her from her pain?

The paper was splattered with my tears before it fluttered like a leaf to the floor. <------- Good use of simile here.

Nikki must be a very strong person because the letter seemed sweet, if not a little manipulative:

Though I would be overjoyed if you wrote back? I shouldn't have given you up? What is he getting at?

A very beautiful story, a few more descriptive passages could make it great.




User avatar
506 Reviews


Points: 9907
Reviews: 506

Donate
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm
Sureal wrote a review...



A sad story, with technically sound prose, except ... almost the entirety of the story is told, rather than shown.

This is where 'show, don't tell', comes in. In other words, reveal the story through action, not narration.

Or, in other words: show the reader what Nikki and Liam's life was like before the accident - have scenes dedicated to them being together, promising to marry one another, have scenes in which Liam acts like a good person (instead of just telling the reader that he's a good person). Don't tell us there was an action - write out the accident itself. Let us feel Liam's pain. Write out scenes demonstrating Liam's life falling apart, let us see his guilty.

What you have here is a summary of a story, told through narration. It's not bad for what it is, but I (and most readers, I believe) want something more.

Show, don't tell. It's the ultimate key to good writing.




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 6431
Reviews: 155

Donate
Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm
hockeyfan87 says...



This is one of the best things I have seen on here in a while. If it is a novel please PM me when you post more. There is nothing that needs changed really. Keep writing!
~hockeyfan87





“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author