The Ghost of Theater 2: Prologue

by BerlynnRae

[spoiler]First the names are important so they cannot be changed.
Second Rellik Eht name is pronounced "Relic Eight" (like I said the names can't be changed)

Lastly, I REALLY need help with action/ intense parts so if anyone has any input that would be great[/spoiler]

RENEE (RICHIE)

I sat in the parked car in front of an abandoned warehouse. My fingers thrummed the dash as Miles sent a text to Kota. The rain began to sprinkle and I sighed looking out the slanted car windows.

"Have some patience Renee," Miles smirked closing his phone, "Kota needs to get set up first."

I sighed again, I needed to get out of this stuffy car with Miles. Our proximity was to close and I could feel his gaze on my pale face. Had it been anyone else I would have yelled something profoundly rude but Miles had known me from the beginning. That cold rainy night similar to the drizzling dawn of the present day. I was still running as I had been then. The fear had changed though, and the desires.

I was twelve then, when Miles found me. I was skinny and dirty, not much to look at as far as I was concerned. With an awkward pre-puberty hair cut that resembled a mushroom and nothing to my name, no family, no identification. Miles was sixteen then and tall, I remember how he stood a foot taller than me at the time. He might have been handsome too but I don't recall and was too young anyway to care. Regardless, we spent the next six years of our lives under the surveillance of a man named Rellik Eht.

I had never met Rellik but Miles had, Miles worked for him and supplied me with stories of the missions and the people I learned to call family. The empty houses and car trunks I learned to call home. But the stories, those were what gave me excitement, the team told me them to but only vaguely. I was always there on the sidelines, sometimes watching but usually I would wait in a car for Miles to return just imagining what went on outside the vehicle. Then when Miles came back we would drive away, sometimes on a chase, sometimes to meet Rellik, sometimes because the mission was over and we had nothing better to do. He would say that 'Mr.Eht' had teams beyond ours and resources, he was a man who wanted wealth and power.

His name to us was Rellik but to his colleges he had another, I wasn't allowed to know. In fact everyone on the team had a codename and our real ones were our own. It was to protect us I think, from people knowing our pasts or where we came from. My code name was Renee, it was given to me by Miles. I wasn't sure if Rellik knew the real one or cared enough to know.

“Renee?” Miles voice shattered my thoughts, I swallowed. “You don't have to do this.” Tonight it would be official, I was going to be on the team as a member instead of the random girl waiting outside until the mission was done. I was becoming a member because above all Rellik felt my presence to be a hassle for everyone and annoying. The only reason he had let me stay was because Miles begged him to allow it. Rellik agreed on the condition that when I reached the age of adulthood I had to choose to leave or to stay permanently. It wasn't a choice for me really, I had no where better to go, nothing left for me, the team was my family.

“Is Kota set up yet?” I shook my head, continuing to gaze out the window as drops snaked around each other, gathering more before plummeting to the base of the window.

Miles knew what that meant, when Kota was set up his camera's and recording were turned on and he could hear everything. There were never cameras in the cars but frequently he had installed them on street lights and traffic lights. Not that there were any around where we were but it was always good to ask.

“Not yet,” He turned his body to adjust the radio down so if Koda was set up he wouldn't hear us.

“When will he be?” I looked at Miles but he just shrugged.

“Will we know?” He cocked his head and adjusted the radio again.

“Probably.” He looked at me and shook his head, “Richie, don't do this.” He begged using my given name.

“Why? It's all that we've talked about since I met you. It's what I've been preparing for.”

“You can't, you have better things to do than-”

“Like what Calvin?” My tone grew sharp, “I have no where else to go. Don't you understand that? I have to.”

My gaze met his, I was not going back, no matter what lame excuse Miles gave me. It wouldn't matter, this was my home.

“Once you join you can't change your mind. You can't go against orders. Once you're officially in it's us or die.”

“Then why did you tell me all those stories? Why did you give me all those ideas?”

“To convince you out of it.”

“You just gave me more reasons to join,” I laughed.

“I'm sorry then.” He held his high but his eyes dipped to look at nothing. I grabbed his free hand.

“This is what I Calvin.” He gazed at me, I could feel his hand grab mine tighter.

“Alright,” he nodded, reaching down with his other hand to grab a case that lay on the floor.

“The Targets name is John Fastfier, he owns a small body shop on the edge of town. He also has been selling guns to Mr. Eht.” He tried to open the case with one hand but ended up flipping it over and having it fall to the ground again.

“Do you need help?” I winked sarcastically. He shook his head and a small smile played on his face. His complexion reddened as he reluctantly let go of my hand to open the case.

“Mr. Eht is fighting with another investor and he wants to know who it is. Elijah and Indigo have been questioning him but he's not talking. James has been working for John Fastfier for more than a month to get information as another tactic but he didn't find anything. The man he works for has most likely promised him something of great value. Your job is to find out who he's working for or what he's being paid. If Mr. Eht can pay more he will.”

I nodded, “What will you be doing?”

“Watching. This is your test Richie. You'll need to improvise but be able to stay in contact with us. Most important we need to find out who the investor is.”

“What are the rules?” I asked as he removed a set of dark clothes from the case and tossed them to me.

“Rules?” He scoffed, “don't mess up, don't get caught. I'll help you as much as I can.”

“Thank you,” I said softly, glancing down at the clothes. “For everything.” I could feel his warm breath tickling my cheek, making them burn. I turned my head to face him and my nose grazed his.

“Don't do this Richie.” He begged again, I opened my mouth to protest but he placed a finger on it. He moved his hand to cradle my face.

“I don't want to lose you.” His fingers lightly brushed my hand before taking it in a gentle grip. He leaned in just as a high pitched static noise filled the confined area. I pulled away from him to cover my ears. He lunged for the radio and turned it so it sounded like a fly buzzing in the background.

“Calvin, I'm...” I tried to think of something to say but my face felt flushed and nothing came out. He chuckled and shook his head.

“Put your clothes on over the ones you're wearing. They're probably too big for you anyway. Kota will have more briefing for you.” He winked. I lifted up the mound of blue fabric and examined it.

“Don't worry, we washed it.” He assured me as my eyes zeroed in on a dark stain.

“Kota, you ready yet?” Miles spoke to the radio.

“Ready when you are.” Kota repiled. Miles looked at me as if he was about to say something but knew better now that we were being recorded.

“Good luck, Renee.” He smirked and stepped out in the rain.

The car shook slightly then became still. I took a deep breath and shimmied into the blue jeans and button up shirt. Miles was right it was a little big, I began rolling up the sleaves as Kota proceeded:

“I'm not sure how much Miles told you, but your part to play is very simple and very important. And our last chance.” He paused and I could hear him clicking buttons on the computer on his side of the radio. Lovely, I interianlly groaned, if all else fails go to Renee. I knew that thought wasn't fair but acting like I was a last resort was a little insluting.

“Alright.” He sighed, “John Fastifer is our target. The important information you need is to find out why he stopped selling guns to Rellik Eht and who the other investor is.”

“Does Mr. Fastifer know Rellik by Mr. Eht?”

“Good question... I believe he will respond to the name. Yes. As far as your mission is concerened get the target in this car and question him. Your predenting to be a law enforcement officer so this should make things easier.”

“I'm.. a cop?” I looked down at the button up and hadn't noticed the badge that read OFFICER JOHANSON on it.

“You also have a fake gun under the drivers side of the car. Did you understand all that?”

“Yes.”

“Good luck.” Then the static was gone. I took in a deep breath and tried to calm the tremors I could feel eurpting all over my body. I closed my eyes. Trying to focus. It shouldn't have been this hard for me. I had imgained it a million times, but then again it was never this real for me. I knew the team would go easy on me. It would be different than watching on the sidelines. I can do this, I breathed I can- a light tap on the drivers side window made me jump, Miles smirk could be seen through the raindrops violently plummeting on the window. His mouth moved as if trying to say something but couldn't speak. The fear vanished as soon as I saw his face. He contiuned to mouth words to me I couldn't understand. I mouthed back a 'what?' and he motioned for me to come to the drivers side.

I akwardly crawled across the seats, my clothes dragged a bit and I made a memo to roll up my pant legs. I lifted the handle and the door swung open. He was soaked and looking at me as if he expected me to be doing something.

“What?” I whispered. He clamped his hand over my mouth and pointed under the seat. Oh. The gun. Right. I bent over the seat and picked it up. I was heavy but obvosily plastic. He stepped back and I helped myself out of the car and shut the door.

“What?” I said again. The rain touched my scalp and made the hair stick to my skull. It followed the uneven path gravity gave it and made a puddle at the collar of my shirt.

“I said, it helps if you pick up the gun.”

“Ha ha,” I rolled my eyes, “I know what I'm doing.” I crossed my arms, trying to keep warm.

“Oh?” He stepped back and started walking away. “I guess I won't help you after all then.”

“Wait... help with what?” I ran after his smooth pace. He stopped and cupped his hand over his ear.

“What was that?”

“I want you to help me.” He just contiuned cupping his hand over his ear, the rain was coming down even heavier now and it began to bleed through the first layer of clothes I had on. I shivered.

“Miles, its freaking cold out here! What else do you want?” He rolled his eyes.

“Could it kill you to say 'please'?”

“Please. Now will you help me, I have no idea what I'm doing.” He smiled and took my hand. Even though the rain made the hair on his arm stand up his hands were warm. I clung to them as he led me around the side of the large doors to a pile of wooden boxes.

“Follow me.” He let go of my hand and climbed up the boxes.

“In there.” He pointed, I climbed up the wood crates akwardly, these clothes really didn't fit. I looked through the glass. The warehouse was bright from artifical overhead lights and two men were tied to chairs with ducktape. One man had brown hair in a slick comb over and sweat was dripping from it he seemed so small compared to the one in the other chair. I could see James acting his usaul cool self. Laughing and grinning at every threat that the men standing shot at them. James had cut his hair short, real short so there wasn't a need to take care of it. He wasn't that type anyway. To bother with hygine. One of the men standing punched James across the face. Elijah. He was larger than Indigo but I was sure that they could both win a fist fight if they needed to.

“Can't they see us?” I whispered to Miles. I glanced at his face as he stared intently at the scene unfolding in frount of him.

“There not looking so probably not. I helped Kota set up the bugs. The only ones are on the sunglasses Elijah and Indigo are using and in the car connected with the radio.”

“Whats going on?”

“There waiting for you.”

“What am I saposed to do?” He smirked and pointed down the crates.

“Play along.” I climbed off the crates and began walking to the door of the warehouse. “You know which one is Mr. Fastifer now right?” I nodded.

“Also don't be afriad to use that gun Officer.” He winked at me.

“I've never used a gun before.” He shrugged.

“It won't matter. As long as you shoot you'll hit Elijah and Indigo, they're prepared for that.” So, it was all fake then. I come in and kill everyone then grab the target. Intresting. I touched the handle of the door.

“Oh, and one more thing. We'll be waiting for you at the bridge not far from here. At which point you can hand him over to us if you couldn't get the information.”

I nodded and turned to him, but he was gone. Then I opened the door.

JOHN FASTIFER

My head aced from the lights above my head and the big man puching me. Not that I could see his face all that clear anyway. He was just far enough away that he blurred in my vision. I swore mentally, I remembered it so clearly, the man and what looked to be his daughter, what she was doing there I wasn't sure. But I'd trusted him and what he'd said. It was only for a week. But who would have known that it would have caused this much trouble.

I looked over at James, he'd started working for me around the time it happened. He was always overly sarcastic but I was starting to think he was drunk or something by the way he egged the men on. The big one scared me but the smaller one asking questions with his penterating stare terrifed me.

“Look, I can't answer you're questions, alright?” I begged again, “I don't even know the guy.”

“Yeah, listen to 'em he say he dunno the guy so leave 'em be,” James face looked stupidly cocky and his head nodded with what he said.

“We weren't asking you.” The skinny one stated smoothy, and the large one slamed James in the face with his fist. It made a sick popping sound as the large mans skin came in contact with James wide cheek. James neck rolled to the side and his eyes flickered for a moment before he spat blood on the man in frount of him.

“Now, what can you tell us about the man that came into your shop?”

“I can't remember, he was tall.. I think his hair was dark. Might have been blonde...”

“Thats all?” The thin one questioned, I shook my head. I wasn't going to give my secrets away to these people.

“What did he offer you?”

“He don' remember so leave 'em be alrigh' ?” James sqeaked from the side. That granted him another heavy punch from the large man.

“What was the form of payment he offered you?” I thought the words I might have said in different company, its not what he would have paid its what he would have taken away. He owned a company that I owed money to. Lots of money. It would all be gone if I would help him for a week. The other end of the deal was that I couldn't say who he was. He knew that people would go looking. He knew. I cursed under my breath.

“Well?” I didn't answer. “Very well then.” The skinny one nodded to the large one and the large one stalked over to me. I couldn't see his grin until he came closer to my face. Then I saw what was in his hand, a gun. I closed my eyes and waited for the worst.

“He ain't gonna tell ya so leave 'em be.” James shouted at the man. I squezed my eyes shut and waited. I heard a loud bang and a heavy object hit the ground. James. I couldn't look, I couldn't see the blood. My felt lightheaded. But I could smell the blood seeping through the wood. My somace churned and I felt like I was going to vomit.

“You called the police!” This voice was a deeper bass than the other one. I knew it came from the large man. He picked me up by the collar and I opened my eyes. Now I could see him clearly; the heavy smell of booze from his breath the glare in his wild eyes. The thick clench in his teeth. All I could do was stare. I was stuck.

“I called 'em. So leave 'em be.” James chirped from the side. I sighed, James was fine.

“Put your hands in the air where I can see them!” A saproano voice shouted. The big man turned his head very slowly to the woman behind him. He threw me to the ground and my head bounced on the hard floor. I looked over at James. His chair was still upright but his eyes dashed from my face to a spot behind me. I rolled my body over and attempted to crawl. To the place his eyes had directed me. To a knife.

“I said in the air! Now!” The woman repeated. The man just laughed at her and I heard another shot, a gargling sound. I squirmed to the sharp object. Two shots. Things behind me scraping the floor, hitting it, banging it, a moan. Almost there. Then three shots. Then silanced. The knife was within a few inches. Then hands close to mine, ripping the tape off me.

“My name is Officer Johanson, your friend called me. We have to go.” My body fell forward on the ground, my arms were sore. I pushed my chair off me and stood up. Before me was a bloody mess. The skinny man was face forward on the ground in blood. In the corner of my eye I saw James, his body over turned, his chair sideways. The big man was face down on the ground to.

“We have to go. Now.”

“But James,” I started reaching for him but the woman grabbed my arm and pulled me to the door.

“He's dead.”

RENEE (RICHIE)

I couldn't help but look back at the past few seconds in awe and wonder. I did all of that! I was able to shoot Indigo and Elijah, well not before Elijah shot James but it was exliarating. I couldn't wait to tell Miles what I accpompsihed. The man in the car with me held his seat belt in his hands. His eyes were open wide and reminded me of something between a deer in headlights and a rabbit. I sighed. I was almost done. I turned the car on and the windshield wipers.

“You alright?” I asked. My eyes on the road. I didn't need to look at him, I was sure he was in the same position.

“Sir, are you alright?” I tried again. Nothing.

“Look Sir, I'm here to help you. Tell me what happened.” This seemed to take him out of his trance because I felt his concerened gaze on my face.

“I can't tell you. I can't let you end up like James. He was innocent. And he, he...” The man returned to his deer-rabbit state.

“I know who those people were working for. My team is already on it Sir.”

“You don't know who you're dealing with.” He mumbled.

“Mr. Ehts, if I'm correct.” I stopped the car at the stop sign and looked both ways before contiuning onward, “I know you were shipping guns to him before you suddenly stopped. My question for you Sir is why did you stop?”

“I.. I was in debt and he promised that me shipping him a speific item would erase all my debt.”

“What was the item?”

“Officer you seem like you have a lot of life ahead of you and I promise that if you stay out of this you'll have a happy one to. Don't do this please. Turn back while you still have a chance.”

“What was the item? I need to know. Maybe there are others in your same circumstance. Please you need to tell me.”

The road turned off and I could see the bridge. I would be there in a matter of moments. But where was Miles? I peered over the steering wheel but all I could see were the raindrops flooding the road.

“It was a key.” My eyes flashed to him for a moment and he rubbed him hands together nerviously.

“To what?” He shook his head.

“What did it look like?” He looked me in the eye.

“I won't tell you who it was but I will say this. It was a complacted key. A ring in the shape of a flower. A carnation made of garnet.”

“And you can't say who it was that-”

“Look out!” The man shouted and grabbed the steering wheel. The car swirved and the thick puddles made us spin. I stomped on the breaks. The car shook and the drivers side hit a tree. My head crashed into the window.

“What are you doing? You could have killed us!” I shouted turning to him.

“No, they would have.” He pointed behind us. I looked in the review mirror. Driving the car was Elijah.

“Drive! Drive!” He screamed. I hit the accelerator and turned a corner onto the bridge. I could see Miles standing outside in the rain in front of a black car blocking my way. I slowed my car.

“What are you doing? Those guys are still behind us.” He yelled.

“We're fine,” I reassured, “Thats part of my team there, see?” I nodded to Miles. He shook his head and looked at the steering wheel. My eyes were set on Miles. I couldn't wait to hand Mr. Fastifer over and show Miles that I had done it. Suddenly Mr. Fasifer hit my hands away and grabbed the steering wheel. I looked up and saw we were about to hit the side of the bridge and go off.

“Sorry Officer, but I can't let them take you.” I unblucked my seat belt and threw open the door just as the concret below me became air and water. I leaped out of the vehical and hit the ground with a thud. My head aced and there was something crimson and sticky touching me. I blinked but the man running for me became more distant, I could see he was running. But everything was moving backwards, I blinked again. His lips were moving, saying something to me and to the others. I closed my eyes. And everything turned quiet.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:54 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hey Berlynn! Sorry for the wait, but here is your review as requested!

Intriguing opening to a story. There was a lot of action which is essential to an opening, especially to a prologue (because people usually info-dump a lot in prologues and tell the entire back story). You put some solid back story information in there and I thought you did that well so kudos there.

One thing I want to point out before we get into the meat of the story is that having multiple POVs in your story is just fine, but when you change throughout a chapter it can become confusing so try to stick to just one per chapter. Also, when there are multiple POVs, each in first person, it is important that the reader can differentiate between them. While we're reading we should be able to tell by each character's unique voice who is "talking" if that makes sense.

Here are my nitpicks:

I think both commas could be periods. Each is it's own independent sentence and when you put them all together with commas it's a run-on.

I sighed again, (.)I needed to get out of this stuffy car with Miles. Our proximity was to(o) close and I could feel his gaze on my pale face.

Had it been anyone else I would have yelled something profoundly rude but Miles had known me from the beginning. That cold rainy night similar to the drizzling dawn of the present day. I was still running as I had been then. The fear had changed though, and the desires.

The first sentence is fine but then it sounded a little odd to me and I think you should rephrase it a little for clarity. It should be obvious that you're not talking about the present anymore. Maybe try reading it out loud.

I was skinny and dirty, not much to look at as far as I was concerned. With an awkward pre-puberty hair cut that resembled a mushroom and nothing to my name, no family, no identification.

The second sentence is a fragment (no subject or verb) so either combine it with the previous sentence or add a subject and verb to the second sentence.

the surveillance of a man named Rellik Eht.

You mentioned how the names can't change and how to pronounce this guy's name and that would be helpful to your reader too. You can't have a spoiler alert at the start of your novel explaining it so I would find a way to put it into the story (just the pronunciation), that is if it matter to you a lot. The easiest way to do it would be to have a character miss-pronounce it and then have a character correct them so the reader can see a phonetic spelling/pronunciation.
I kind of like the name because it adds an air of mystery. Everyone else has pretty normal names so what's with this guy? I feel like the name will become significant later.

I had never met Rellik but Miles had, Miles worked for him and supplied me with stories of the missions and the people I learned to call family. The empty houses and car trunks I learned to call home.

These sentences are messy. You have a complete sentence where you have that comma so you could put a period there instead. The last sentence is a fragment again and should either be combined with the sentence before it or you should add a subject and verb.

But the stories, those were what gave me excitement, the team told me them to but only vaguely.

You have two complete sentences here. "But the stories, those were what gave me excitement. The team told me them too, but only vaguely." Leaving it as one big sentences makes it a run-on.

In fact, everyone on the team had a codename (code name) and our real ones were our own.

It was to protect us I think, from people knowing our pasts or where we came from. My code name was Renee, it was given to me by Miles. I wasn't sure if Rellik knew the real one or cared enough to know.

The last sentence doesn't seem critical to know. When you're giving out information like this you want to keep it as concise as possible so readers don't get bored. Only include information that is absolutely critical to the moment.

“Renee?” Miles voice shattered my thoughts, I swallowed. “You don't have to do this.”

The underlined portion is odd to me because there are two different things going on in the same sentence and it's confusing because it seems like Renee is going to be talking after she swallows.
You could say "Miles voice shattered my thoughts and I swallowed." (Which I think works best because there is a transition.) Other transitions would work to like "making me swallow".

New paragraph when there is a new person talking.

I think you're missing a word in that dialogue. Also, she is talking so when the focus switches to him (his action), make a new paragraph for clarity.

“The Targets (Target's) name is John Fastfier,

acting like I was a last resort was a little insluting. (insulting)

Your predenting (You're pretending) to be a law enforcement officer so this should make things easier.”

“Good luck.” Then the static was gone.

New paragraph between the dialogue and the action.

I closed my eyes. Trying to focus.

Combine these sentences into one.

It shouldn't have been this hard for me. I had imgained it a million times, but then again it was never this real for me. I knew the team would go easy on me.

Te repetition of "me" at the end of each of these sentences bothers me. I would try to rephrase these sentences to change that.

"Wait... help with what?” I ran after his smooth pace. He stopped and cupped his hand over his ear.

“What was that?”

New paragraph at "He" and then combine it with his dialogue.

He pointed, I climbed up the wood crates akwardly, these clothes really didn't fit.

Period after "He pointed" and then new paragraph after that because you're changing focus.

The warehouse was bright from artifical overhead lights and two men were tied to chairs with ducktape (duct tape).

One man had brown hair in a slick comb over and sweat was dripping from it(.) he (He) seemed so small compared to the one in the other chair. I could see James acting his usaul cool self. Laughing (, laughing) and grinning at every threat that the men standing shot at them.

James had cut his hair short, real short so there wasn't a need to take care of it. He wasn't that type anyway. To bother with hygine.

“What am I saposed (supposed) to do?” He smirked and pointed down the crates.

New paragraph after the dialogue.

I'm so confused as to who is talking. Put the dialogue cues/actions with the person's dialogue and whenever there is a person change, switch paragraphs.

It made a sick popping sound as the large mans (man's) skin came in contact with James wide cheek. James neck rolled to the side and his eyes flickered for a moment before he spat blood on the man in frount (front) of him.

"Put your hands in the air where I can see them!” A saproano (soprano) voice shouted.

Then three shots. Then silanced (silence).

"To what?” He shook his head.

The multiple paragraphs here makes it seem like there is more than one person talking but it's Renee both times right? I would have four lines here to differentiate her from him from her from him.

“Sorry Officer, but I can't let them take you.” I unblucked my seat belt and threw open the door just as the concret below me became air and water.

He says that and then she does the action, right? If so, new paragraph after the dialogue.

My head aced and there was something crimson and sticky touching me.

It's a real pet peeve of mine when people describe blood like this.

1. The idea - Definitely intriguing.
I'm curious to see where this is going and who Mr. Eht is and what this is all about. Obviously there is going to be some romance between Renee and Miles which is exciting because I'm a sucker for romance. I thought you did a good job of starting that off in this chapter. They're not obviously in love but I'm already rooting for them to get together. The only problem I have with the overall plot right now is that I'm not sure who is on who's side. A lot of characters were brought into the mix at once (when she started the mission) and the people I thought were on Renee's side then didn't appear to be and now I'm confused.

2. The voice - Could use more.
When you write in first person, voice is extremely important. The narrator needs to be someone the readers actually want to listen to for an entire novel and you do that by having a unique, interesting voice. So try to really get inside each character's head that is going to narrate and find their unique voice.

3. The action - Not bad.
You mentioned at the beginning that you wanted help with the action scenes. I didn't think they were too bad. I couldn't picture the scene in my head that well but everything made sense (aside from not being sure who was on who's team). The best way to improve action scenes is to add more description. I want to know what everything looks like, where everyone is, who everyone is, who is doing what and when and how people react to what that person is doing. Another great way to improve this skill (it's a skill to write good action scenes) is so simply read really good action scenes. If you read a book with some great action in it, take a second to think about how the author was able to make it so good. What did you like about it? Are you somehow able to implement any of that into your own writing? Likewise, if you read a really boring action scene, take a second to think about why it wasn't exciting so you can avoid that in your own writing.

4. Spelling and grammar - Needs some attention.
First of all spelling. Run a spell check to catch some of those more obvious mistakes. Overall it wasn't too bad but there were some errors in there that I pointed out for you.
There were a couple of grammar errors I saw repeated over and over. First, paragraph breaks. You want to start a new paragraph when a new person is talking, a new person is doing an action, or when there is a change of topic or focus. All of this is for clarity.
Second, commas and periods. I pointed out some of this but not nearly everything I could have. You had quite a few fragmented sentences, commas where there didn't need to be commas, commas where there should have been periods or semi-colons, periods where there should have been commas, and nothing when there should have been something. This stuff can be tricky and I've found the easiest way to catch a lot of that stuff is to read it out loud. This accomplishes a couple of things. First, you'll catch any awkward wording. Second, pretty much any time you naturally pause while reading, you'll need a comma. Commas and periods help slow things down. Remember though that each sentence needs a subject and verb and not to have too much going on in each sentence.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if something didn't make sense!

-Carly

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:02 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Here to review as requested.

So apparently I have already reviewed this novel, but looking back at them, they were absolutely lame. It also looks like you changed it so good for you! This time I am going to try again and hopefully give you much better reviews.

I like the dialogue in this. There's a lot of it, more than usual, but it's all relevant. There wasn't a single sentence that didn't move the plot forward. The exchanges between Renee and Miles are good as well. In the beginning I though they were just partners, but after a while I got a different view of their relationship.

Miles seems like a cool dude. He obviously cares about Renee and doesn't want her life "ruined" like his. I think that's sweet. I still can't tell if this Mr. Eht is the bad guy. I'm not sure what to think about him.

Comments/Suggestions/Critiques:

My finger thrummed the dash as Miles sent a text to Kota.

*should be 'drummed'

I sighed again insert period here I needed to get out of this stuffy car with Miles.

*this should be split into two sentences. Or you could use a semi-colon, either one.
*by saying 'with Miles' implies that Renee wants to get out of the car with Miles. Understand? Like, both her (Renee is a girl right?) and Miles should get out of the car. But after reading farther, that's not the intention. So if you take that part out it makes more sense.

Our proximity was to close and I could feel his gaze on my pale face.

*should be 'too'

Had it been anyone else I would have yelled something profoundly rude insert comma here but Miles had known me from the beginning. That cold rainy night similar to the the drizzling dawn of the present day.

*just a small grammatical error
*I'm not sure what to say about this second paragraph. It just doesn't flow well. I'm not sure if you should link it with the previous sentence or give it more detail and leave it as it's own. I suggest reading it over out loud. That always helps me.

He might have been handsome too insert comma here but I don't recall insert period here and I was too young anyway to care anyway.

*just a small pet peeve of mine: word order

I had never met Rellik but Miles had insert period here Miles worked for him and supplied me with stories of the missions and the people I learned to call family insert semi-colon here the empty houses and car trunks I learned to call home.

*I like this first sentence. It really shows how Renee cared for Miles. If she didn't care, she wouldn't have trusted this Rellik guy. But because Miles knew him, it was enough for her.
*so did they go on missions together? Or did he simply tell her about missions others had gone on? That's a little confusing to me.

I was always there on the sidelines, sometimes watching but usually I would wait in a car for Miles to return just imagining what went on outside the vehicle.

*d'aw. I feel so bad for Renee! :(

He would say the 'Mr.Eht' had teams beyond ours and resources as well. <--insert period He was a man who wanted wealth and power.

*the first sentence here confuses me. Does this mean that Mr. Eht didn't really need Miles' help? Was he using Miles simply to gain more money?

He held his head high insert comma here but his eyes dipped to look at nothing.

*always put a comma before the word 'but'. I won't correct it anymore.

"This is what I want, Calvin."

My somace churned and I felt like I was going to vomit.

*should be 'stomach'

Then silanced.

*should be 'silence'

*I like how you're making him be concerned and everything. It makes him more believable as a person. I know that he's technically the villain here, but I feel like I can relate to him. Good job with that

Overall this is a good start. I love the action; it kept me reading. I am a bit confused about the last paragraph though. Who is the man running towards her? Is it Miles? And why did Mr. Fasifer feel inclined to protect Renee? Maybe I'll get these answers in the next chapter.

This was a great read. I'll take a look at the next chapter in a few hours.

Keep writing! :)
**Noelle**

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Sorry it took me a long time to respond to your request, but I've been pretty busy. Anyway, I'm here to review!

First off I'd like to say that this definitely drew me into the story. And that's what a prologue is all about. It provides some background information and then adds some mystery. I like how you never mention names or ages or occupations, you simply keep going with it. After reading this I'm sitting here wondering who the girl is, who the guy on the other end of the receiver is and what they're up to.

I didn't find any spelling or grammar errors so you're fine there. The only thing that I could criticize, I can't (if that makes any sense). I'd usually say something about us not knowing the characters, but we don't need to know them yet.

Great job on this! Can't wait to read the rest. Keep writing! :)

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:00 am
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Hey Berlynn! Here as requested, sorry it took so long!

Let's get right to it, then, shall we?

"Do you have him?" A voice hissed from the receiver in my hands.

As Heather said, this probably isn't the best way to start this novel. I read once that dialogue for a first line is a red flag for editors and something they don't look upon as best (unless it's a fan-freaking-tastic line of dialogue).

Personally, I think you could move (or cut even) those first two lines of dialogue and just go ahead and start with that initial description (or some variation of it). It's an intriguing section of prose in the way that it shows the reader a character from the perspective of someone else (by referring to him along the lines of "the target") which interests them to find out more about the situation.

His knees popping as his body went down.

Our Main Character heard that? How close are they to the target? How loud are his knees popping? Since this is a first person narration, all observations have to come directly through the main character's senses. So, unless she heard his knees pop, we don't get to know that information.

I smelled the heavy sent of cologne I could only guess it was from our victim. [b]My gym shorts were too thin! What was Miles thinking? It was freezing out here. My cover wasn't very convincing, a girl jogging after the sun had gone down, without a jacket or even a light.[b]

This bolded portion comes right out of nowhere. First we're thinking cologne, then, gym shorts! It might help if there was a paragraph split before the thought about the gym shorts so that there is a clearer distinction between thoughts (rule of thumb, new line of thought/action/observation = new paragraph). It might also help to distinguish them as her thoughts by putting them in italics, since they're directly from her mind. However, that's entirely up to you.

I liked to think I had integrity but deceit only coated that.

Okay, I don't tend to do grammar but this line was so awkward I couldn't get past it. We have two seperate-ish thoughts here slammed together without an appropriate tie. Plus, "deceit only coated that" is an awkward phrase to begin with. Something like:
I liked to think I had integrity, once you got past the coating of deceit surrounding it.
sounds a lot better. There just needs to be a better tie between integrity and it's colorful deceit coating.

"Sweet dreams." I whispered, the thought of him robbing the jewerly store for us consuming my mind.

This is a really abrupt ending. I know we're going for suspense/hook here, but it's almost too abrupt for that. Particularly, the mention of him robbing the jewelry store for them. How is that going to work? Does the poison allow them to control his body? Are they framing him for the robbery? Why did she take his car?

These are too many questions to leave the reader with at the end of a prologue. The intent on taking this man as their target needs to be better explained somewhere in the prologue for this to work how it ought to.

Let me start off by saying that I am not a fan of prologues. For the most part, I think they're a crutch that writers lean on that they don't need at all. A lot of times they're cheap attempts at hooks (prime example: Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga. Every prologue in that series is a cheap attempt at a hook). I only ever really find a prologue fitting if it gives information the reader needs immediately at the start of chapter one that can't be given at the start of the story (history, qualities of a world/race - think Tolkeins 'Concerning Hobbits' in the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - etc) or a look into an event that has happened far before the beginning of the story.

This prologue here (after a quick glance at the first chapter, which I will review next promise) looks to be an event that will happen further in the story, placed here in order to interest the reader in reading on until that point. This, in all honesty, suggests that the beginning of the story isn't interesting enough to make the reader stick around until it gets good (ie the content of this prologue). The reader wants to know what else happens after this scene, and if the actual beginning of the story isn't interesting enough to carry that then they're not going to be very interested in reading on.

Particularly since this scene looks like it was cut right out of a later portion of the story and dropped here, I'd suggest cutting it entirely and just starting right in on the first chapter. If what comes in the beginning isn't interesting enough (which I'll see for myself in a moment), then consider moving the story up closer to the start of the action.

However, this is entirely (well, mostly) null if this is in fact an event from the past. If it's an event from the past, though, we're going to need more information about it. What happened with the bank robbery? Why isn't our MC still robbing banks (as it appears she's in high school being relatively normal at the start of the first chapter)?

Anyways, I'm off to check out the next chapter and see how things pan out. Other than the issues I've mentioned, this is a compelling section. I'm interested to know more about this strange poison and whatever our MC is doing with this Miles guy. The prose is also quite amusing and fun to read, so you've got that on your side too!

If you have any questions, or want to discuss something further, feel free to shoot a PM my way and I'd be glad to talk. :)

-Lauren-

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

Hai! Sorry its taken me so long to get to this, but here I am so let's see what you've got! Oh, by the way, I'm going to go ahead and move this to the novels section for you since it's not a short story!

Line-By-Line

1. The opening! Okay so it's always tempting to start with dialogue and cut straight into the characters, but it's only effective when that dialogue is absolutely amazing, so amazing that it can stand up without any scenery behind it. In this case, yours is too mundane for that so I suggest instead that you give us a little description of the action and draw us in with that. Nine times out of ten, the action makes for a better hook than dialogue. In a few short sentences of action, you can paint an entire scene for people to imagine but six or seven lines of dialogue later and you still have voices coming out of the dark.

2. Hissed and echoed. So you're telling us this is going to a sort of thriller or crime thing but it's a bit over the top to use echoed. It really stands out and feels unnatural, like you've forced it in there when a simple said or replied would fit much more smoothly. Try not to use a more complex word just for the sake of it. Only use it if it's going to add extra depths to your scene.

3. Vary those sentences! Short, snappy lines are great but there's only so much thy can do before they become ordnary and boring. If you lead into them with a long sentence or a couple of mdiums, then they're much more effective as they'll under-cut what came before, instead of just tagging along from one to another.

4. I like the random thought about the gym shorts, that showed some good insight into the character.

5.

The small injection in my sweaty palms, I shook it.
This is a little awkward here. For a moment, I thought she'd injected herself so try using syringe instead as the syringe is what you put the vial in (though really you might want to make it clearer what she's doing first as a moment ago she had a vial and there's been no mention of her filling a syringe. So yeah. Clear it up!

6. Dialogue tags! If you're using s he or she or I tag, then your dialogue should end with a comma instead. So 'Excuse me." I repeated is wrong. It should be, 'Excuse me," I repeated.

7. Description. I'd really like for you to describe the park car park or the road or wherever she's running (see I'm not even sure!) and then tell us what this target looks like. By the gold watch, I'm guessing he's a business man which adds further confusion as to where a jogger would happen to collide with a business man, but I can't be sure so describe!

8. Your enemy is our enemy. Must you make the man all mean and confrontational? If you do that, we don't care that he's about to be killed and this scene would be so much more effective if he was nice and we did and we were torn between liking the MC and condemning her actions.

9. Bad last words. Improve them please? They're a bit too obvious and a bit too haha but not haha if you know what I mean.

10. Uh... didn't she want the watch? It's worth more than a phone I'm sure. Also, there was a nice moment for dramatic irony where she could have complimented his watch instead of having her think about how she likes it. Then you'd write the end scene and just drop in there a quick description of her wearing the watch as she walks away.

It's not bad. You've got an interesting character here but the other key components need some work. Your plot is a little loose right now and your scenery and story world are none existent. Remember, one of the most important things about a story is that you're telling the reader where they are and what world they're going to be living in until the story is over.

I'll have more comments for you on atmosphere and the like after I've read your next section,

Heather xxx

Gheala wrote a review...

Hello, hello! I'm Gheala and this is my first review after ages of literary silence.
*****************************************
I have to admit I'm going to say something that I had NEVER said before, ever since I started reading novels or novel excerpts. Well, here it goes:
That's a good prologue!
Seriously, I liked it a lot. Even though I'm not a big fan of crime novels, I got interested- very interested- in this piece a little too fast than I expected. I also always think that there is no need to writer prologues, for why write an introduction for someone's life story?
But here, I actually do think you should keep this prologue because it drags me into the novel pretty well.
Your pacing through the piece was outstanding. I didn't get bored and I didn't miss any sentences like I usually do in prologues. The descriptions were brief, but they were quite enough for me to know what the story is about. I found all that very amusing.

Now, with the things I didn't marvel in the piece- if "marvel" is the right word here...
It's actually one thing that I noticed. I think your sentences are sometimes a little too short than needed, especially in the first descriptive paragraph. Try to merge sentences together, because short phrases would distract your reader. Try to reduce that.

Well, that's all!
Good luck and well done! And I'm sorry for my lack of help.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:19 am
Lava wrote a review...

Hola!

What an interesting prologue you have here. A very wonderfully constructed prologue. Good amount of information and enigma. So yay!

At first I though this was chapter 2 with that number over there. Silly me!

I have to say, I share Lavvie's thoughts on that particular line. It's... a bit too awkwardly phrased.

I lifted my hand up and shoved the injection into his cheek. He screamed and backed away holding his face.
This paints a very weird picture for me. Because the cheek veins are quite difficult to inject to, since they're very wiggly that moves due to the slightest facial movements even. She'd have to be ninja-skilled to get it done right.

One thing you could work on is perhaps some reaction around the dialogue between the victim and the MC. That would help in making a stronger scene such that the reader would want to come back for more.

Good work!
~L

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 am
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi there.

So, as a prologue, this is pretty good. A lot of prologues that I've read haven't been so great simply because the writer doesn't fully understand what the purpose of a prologue is for and still lots of successful authors internationally don't because they may be limiting themselves and think that a prologue is simply 'filler', 'stuffing' and 'needless'. In certain cases, that is true and it does apply but some other times those accusations are untrue. Anyway, I'm rambling as I often do so, without further ado, the review!

The entirety of the prologue is well-done: you have captured suspense and usual unanswered questions which naturally leaves the audience begging for more. Give yourself a pat on the back for that. Nothing's extraordinarily rushed and I am pleased because of that since I've read many a text where the writer seems to be in a race with no one to finish. Anyway, I stray from the substance of the review yet again...

And now I should lay off the compliments and dive right in. There are quite a few times where you've written something intending one thing but instead whatever you've written doesn't read just right. One could interpret something so entirely differently that it can twist meanings and descriptions. Obviously, as the writer, you would like to try and avoid that. The below quote is a good example of jumbled meanings:

The wind bit at my exposed legs sending me a heavy sent of cologne from the target.

When I read this line - I apologize in short advance - I became almost hysterical with laughter. Be clear that I laugh not at you, but at the sentence. My reasoning is that this line has confused words that don't fit well. Your line is meaning to state that the the wind that, as well as biting at her nude legs, also brought over the scent (spelling error in your line - check it out) of the cologne that the victim wore. On the contrary, the way you have formed the sentence is telling the readers that - ach, I can hardly explain the thing, it's terribly convoluted with various meanings - due to the wind biting at her legs, she smelled the target's cologne. Do you understand? I hope you do as I'm trying my best to be text-coherent.

The other thing about this line (and the remainder of the prologue), which is a much smaller thing - rather nitpicky, in fact - is your use of the word 'target'. As a replacement, I think 'victim' is much better suited. Perhaps it is merely because it is late here and I just boarded off a plane but I still hardly think so, but, either way, when you use 'target' I picture a real and true bull's-eye strolling down the street and not actually a person being preyed upon. Ja.

Check over some spelling. I won't point out every little spelling error you committed since it's unkind and also takes up my time and I'm a really lazy person. They are only simple errors (like the missing letter 'c' in 'scent') so don't fret about them much, but do correct them. MS Word includes a basic, understandable spelling check that one can turn on and off. If you happen to lack that program, I'm sure there are many free spell checkers online that you can search on Google :D

...the only spelling error that really bothered was:

His fingers insticaly went up to his cheek

It's like you were typing to fast or whatever and your fingers flew off into a tapping, typing madness. Watch out and only type as fast as you know you can! Don't rush or baaaad typos like these happen. I'm known for terrible, awkward typos but this totally beats 'em. Congrats. I think you were trying to type the word 'instinctively'? I'm not so sure since this... combination of letters... is hardly similar but you'll know :)

There's more I can pick here but I won't for your vanity's sake ;D

Anyway questions or anything about the review, don't hesitate to drop me a line via PM.

Yours,
Lavvie

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:04 pm
volleyball13 says...

I like it a lot. It is very suspensful and mysterious, which is great. I think add a few more details and it would be perfect. I would like to read some more.

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway