z

Young Writers Society



Mirror World (Contest Entry)

by Tigersprite


Now this is the second story I've ever written which I'd rate 16. Mostly for slightly mature themes (in my opinion, at least). NOTE: This story deals with homosexuality. If the first four letters of that word bother you, don't read this. But for those who do read this, I need you to rip it to shreds. I like the beginning, but I'm not at all sure about the ending scenes. And I apologize, because this is, well, long.

This is for Skeensy's (a.k.a. Skins, Freak, or Cannibal Duck) contest, She's The Man.

I awake just as a song starts to play on the radio. The sun has crept in, and now its golden radiance shines through the windows, lighting the room in an orange-yellow hue. The sky is blue beyond the panes. The world is beautiful.

~# A place away from the world’s demands

I remember when we first saw the Mirror World. We first spotted the silver line in the sky on the 21st of December, and it had been interpreted in a thousand different ways. Those who were of little faith told the rest of us that they were right, that the world was ending. We told you, they said, it’s December 21, 2012, and today we die. Today the world changes forever.

They were wrong, because we would not die that day. But they were right, too, because the world changed that day.

People had feared the silver lining. Even my father, Pastor Adams, even though he’d been saying in all the days leading up to the 21st that the whole fuss was secular nonsense. Even he feared it that day.

But as time passed and nothing happened, the fear began to disappear. Curiosity rose instead, and on the 29th of December, 2012, a plane was seen in the sky for the first time in a week. A team consisting of the best pilots and researchers in the EU were in it, and they flew right into the silver lining over the Atlantic Ocean.

They came back several hours later. And they brought news to us of the Mirror-World and its inhabitants, of the similarities between us and them and the vast differences. But there was one difference in particular, the one which started the controversy.

~

I was 17 when I travelled to the Mirror-World. Not alone, of course. With my father and the other Pastors in my small community. We were going to preach, to help the Mirror-Worlders repent. Not that I truly believed it could be done. But I was a Christian, and it was my duty. What’s more, I feared the wrath of my father if I didn’t try.

I knew the worlds were similar; I’d read all the newspaper reports I could and I’d heard the testimony of the missionaries who’d gone before us. But no amount of preparation readied me for what I saw, and when we came down from the clouds into the Mirror-city of London, I looked around in shock. Down below, I could see the same hectic bustle in the streets, I could imagine myself down there and I knew that it would be just as loud as back home, I knew that strangers would be just as awkward with each other.

I recall my father thumping me on the back of the head at this point.

“We’re not here to admire their world, boy,” he hissed in my ear. “We’re here to show these sinners God’s light. We’re here to offer them redemption, if they can comprehend it.”

“Yes, father,” I’d replied.

“And outside the sermons, I don’t want to see you interacting with them. Not one. Those gays,” he said, flailing his arms about to demonstrate his anger, “they convert people, I swear they do. Stay away from them.”

“Yes, father.”

The Mirror-Worlders were very diplomatic. They learnt about us, and as we visited their world they visited ours. They didn’t mind--or seem to mind--the purpose of our visit, they set us up in a hotel and booked us a hall where we could deliver our sermons. I wondered at it, and at some point my father said to me,

“Don’t be fooled by the kindness. They’re just doing it to show that they are civilized. But they’re not, really.”

I nodded.

The Mirror-Worlders actually attended our sermons. I wondered at that too. How could they live the way they did, and still want to listen to us? Or as Father had said, were they just feigning civilization? I didn’t understand it all.

Father and the other missionaries did most of the talking, I only helped really. I would give them water, or different Bibles. But I didn’t talk and only watched the crowd. Watched them closely, especially the couples. Two men, sitting side-by-side with their hands held together firmly. Or two women near the back; one of them was sleeping, resting her head on her partner’s shoulder. I didn’t understand it. It was so…so unnatural, wasn’t it? They were going to Hell, and yet they lived like this. Everyone did.

~

I first spoke in a sermon when we’d been there a week. I wasn’t supposed to, I was merely handing my father some water.

“We do not come to cause tension,” my father was saying, that day I first noticed him. “We are not your enemies, we are your friends. Closer even, we are your brethren. For we are all children of God, and it is in His name that we are here. We come to reconcile you to the word of God, to show you the light of the one true faith!”

I handed him the water, and before unscrewing the bottle he motioned to me to talk. And suddenly I noticed just how large the crowd was, and how many eyes were on me. I opened my mouth several times before I managed to say anything.

“I…What you worship, i-it’s false!” I shouted. Or croaked, rather. “The way you live, it’s false! God does not want you to live this way! M-marriage, it’s supposed to be—“

“A union under God between two persons in love,” he said, interrupting me.

I stared at him then. I’d noticed him sitting at the front before, because he was always that dark-haired boy sitting alone. I’d always wondered if he was a sinner, like the rest.

“Marriage is a union under God between a man and woman,“ I said in reply, “not merely two persons in love. They come together and they are no longer two, but one.”

There was a collective gasp at that point. Father had not yet directly attacked the issue of marriage, he had skipped around it. Now I had plunged straight into it, and what’s more I’d offended the entire crowd.

People immediately began to leave, and one of the two men I’d been watching before shouted,

“That is sick! You claim to be prophets of God, but then you come here and twist His words in defence of those Heteros?! Those gays?!” I saw him shudder. “May God forgive you. I advise you, young man, to pray tonight.”

“Don’t you read the Bible?” one of the women asked me. “’Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his husband, and they become one flesh. In this same way a woman leaves her father and mother and cleaves to her wife, and they become one flesh.’ Are you totally sick? Why would there be a union of something so unnatural, so opposing? A man and a woman cannot come together to have a child! Utter madness!”

In a few more minutes, most had gone. Father just shook his head at me, and he and the other missionaries went backstage. I’d failed him. I was always failing him.

He was still there, though.

“What do you want?” I snapped at him. “Everyone’s gone, thanks to you. You’ve condemned the people of London to

their sin and thus Hell. Are you happy now?”

“There is no sin in love, Pastor,” he said calmly. “Even you don’t believe that. Anyhow, you can’t spread your ideals in a world that has far too many. Don’t you know you’re not the only preachers here?”

“Of course we aren’t. There are more missionaries—“

“I’m not talking of your missionaries. I’m talking of ours. How can you possibly hope us to listen to you when you don’t listen to us?”

“We didn’t come here to listen to your preachers,” I hissed. “We came to spread the Word of God.”

“But not His love then?” and here he raised an eyebrow at me. I turned around. I began to walk away.

“My name’s Joshua, by the way,” he shouted after me. “I’ll be here next sermon, if you decide to listen to us.”

I didn’t turn around.

Where I’m just flesh, just bone.

But he was there next sermon, even though there was barely a crowd present. And the next. And the next. He was persistent, and incredibly annoying. But eventually, he got his way. At the end of the fourth sermon I agreed to meet him in a library in Mirror-North Finchley, London.

I didn’t go alone, of course. I went with Pastor Sam, who, being only 23, was close to my age and friendly enough to me. I told him about Joahua's persistence as we sat in the back of the cab.

Sam laughed when I’d finished. “There’s probably nothing he wants to show us,” he said. “He’s probably trying to get you into bed.”

“I’m not so sure, Sam,” I replied. “He’s there every sermon, and he’s come up to me for the past four offering to show me the real world and everything the Government wouldn’t. He seems to be serious about something.”

“You worry too much. We’ll see what he wants, and we’re going back to the hotel. And hopefully, home soon. We can’t save them, you know. We can’t.”

“But—“

“Daniel, it’s not even the sexuality that’s the problem. They are actually different from us. In our world it takes a man and a woman to make a child, but here…here that’s not how it is. Not at all. And it’s the natural way here.”

I shook my head. “That’s not possible.”

“You haven’t been in their hospitals. That’s how it is.” He sighed. “I don’t know what your father brought us here for. We can’t change this. And they say it’s in their Bible as well…did you hear what that woman said in that sermon?”

“How could I forget?”

Sam was staring out of the window now, at the people in street. At the couples.

“It makes me wonder,” he said. “…Why? How? God tells us one thing and them another…Or did He tell us the same thing

and we…we just both got it wrong?”

~

Joshua was waiting for us inside, and he didn’t look very surprised to see Sam.

“Let me guess,” he said, “you thought I was going to lead you to some sort-of bar? Maybe flirt with you?”

“I don’t know you, Joshua,” I said. “Who knows what you’re planning?”

He laughed then. He laughed until the librarian hushed him, and even then he still smiled as he led us to the very back of the library, where the books were dusty and old.

“These are the KJV Bibles,” he said, holding one. “You don’t believe it is as we say? See for yourself.” he handed it to me, and then excused himself.

I’d barely opened the Bible when Sam took it from me, flipping through the pages carefully. When he stopped he began to read, and as he did his face got whiter and whiter. Eventually, he handed it to me and walked away. I watched him go outside, and I turned my attention to the Bible. To the Book of Genesis.

"may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." And so the first man, and the men the Lord God created after from his ribs, ate of the garden trees but not of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. 18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the men should be alone; I will make them a helper fit for them…"

"22 and while he slept He created of dust another being which resembled Man, but with some difference, and who He brought to the first man. 23 Then the first man said, "This one has the bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was created in the image of Man. We are two of one, but different in many ways." 24 From the first woman the Lord God took a rib and created more women. Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his husband, and they become one flesh. In this same way a woman leaves her father and mother and cleaves to her wife, and they become one flesh.25 And the men and the women were naked, and they were not ashamed…"

I closed the Bible. I had read enough, I had learnt enough, and I needed to read no more.

I hadn’t noticed Joshua’s return, and started slightly when I did. I remember replacing the Bible on the shelf. I remember the silence between us.

“I hope you’re not disgusted,” he said quietly. “At least, not so much. I don’t know many things about your world, but apparently such things as you may have read aren’t the same for you.”

“No, they’re not. Not at all.”

“Perhaps it was God’s intention to make us different, Daniel,” and he added when I looked at him, “Your father called you by that at a sermon.”

I remember turning to face him. “What do you really want, Joshua? To show me that things are different here? I know that. To make me stop preaching? I…I can’t. My father…”

“I know, Daniel, I do. My father is a preacher too. But against…against people like you. Gay people, that is.”

I looked at him strangely, and with what must have been a little anger.

“Gay? I’m not gay, Joshua. Your kind; you’re gay.”

He laughed. “No, I…That means a different thing here. On your world, it means people like us, doesn’t it? The same gender? But that’s not what it means here, it means people like you, the heterosexuals. We have a word for same-gender attraction—“

“Straight?”

“Yes,” he said, “yes. Straight. How strange, that two different worlds still use the same terms. The same words.”

“I think eerie is a better word, Joshua.”

He laughed yet again. “Yes, eerie.”

~

“What I wanted to show you,” Joshua said to me as we walked in the busy streets of London, “was how similar we are. And the preachers. I wanted to show you the preachers.”

Sam had taken the cab and left. I’d called him at a payphone, but he hadn’t picked up. What he’d read had been enough for him, I’d guessed. Did he still think as my father did? That the people of this world were wrong in their ways? That they were sinners? Or…did he think as I did?

Was he as confused?

“Show me the preachers first,” I said to Joshua. “You’ve talked about them, but you’ve shown me nothing.”

“I will, I will,” he said, checking his watch. “It’s quarter to three; if we hurry we can still make it in time.”

“Still make it to where?” I asked, hurrying to match his speed, but he didn’t answer. Instead we crossed the road and went down another, and when he finally stopped walking we were before a primary school. Cars were parked all down the street, and the pavement outside the school was swamped with parents—

Parents.

I watched them in curiosity. A male couple were leaning against the school fence, talking to each other while a child who resembled them played with another girl, who turned at the call of ‘Susie!’ by a woman standing not far away. The woman was unlocking the door of her car while simultaneously talking into her phone, quite loudly: “—I told you to buy mayonnaise, Grace! Not salad cream! God! You do this every—“

“Are you here for a child?” a woman asked us, stepping closer. There were wrinkles around her eyes but she wasn’t old, and by the straight-forward way she questioned us, I surmised she was a school teacher.

“We—“ I started, but Joshua cut me off.

“We’re here for Jason Andrews,” he said. “He’ll be out any minute now.”

The teacher smiled, and said, “Jason Andrews? You must be his brother, Joshua. I’m Miss Williams, his PE teacher. You should be proud of your little brother; he’s a clever boy.”

Joshua smiled too, and just like that they began chatting like old friends. I still watched the crowd of parents, and the children. Children who looked just their parents. Children who didn’t seem bothered by, who didn’t even seem to care for, the sexuality of their parents. Did they…did they even notice it? It was how they would be one day, wouldn’t it?

“Oh look,” I heard Williams say. “It’s them.”

The mumbling, the bustle and friendly chatter of the parents disappeared in a second. The majority of them began to lead their children away, down the road, to cars, onto buses. The few who stayed looked away, or smiled plastically at the new couple who had driven up in a car, and now walked to the school gates.

They were a man and a woman.

“I wish,” continued Williams, “that things like this didn’t happen. I mean, yes, I know that gay rights is a major issue and all, but still. Why should such…people, be allowed to adopt children? Just think how traumatized the little boy would be. It’s not right.”

My mouth dry, I turned to her. “Why do you find it so wrong?”

She laughed bitterly. “Because it is. I’m no Christian or religious folk, mind you. But that’s just…unnatural. Can’t you see it? They couldn’t have children themselves, so they take someone else’s.” She sighed and shook her head. Joshua was about to say something; I could see it in the annoyed look on his face. But when he opened his mouth, it wasn’t his voice I heard.

“Joshua!” A little boy was running towards us who had the same dark-hair and olive-skin as Joshua. Jason, I guessed. He flung his arms around my strange companion, and asked at least ten questions in the space of 30 seconds, of which I only heard three: When did you meet Miss Williams? and Did you know that I came top of the class in spelling? and Who is that strange guy, Joshua?

Joshua answered the last. “This is my friend, Daniel,” he said to Jason. I looked at him, but said nothing.

“We’re going home for lunch first, Jase,” Joshua said to his brother, “and then I’ll drop you off at Adam’s. Okay?”

“Okay!” the boy half-shouted, and then after waving goodbye to his teacher, he turned back to the gates.

“See you later, Adam!” he shouted to a red-haired boy at the gates, waving. Adam, as he was called, waved back, and then he followed the man and woman from earlier to their car.

I wasn’t sure, but I thought I saw Miss Williams whiten a little. Maybe it was the sun.

A place where I fear no command

Two hours later, we’d dropped Jason off at Adam’s house. As it turned out, Joshua had a car, because we drove to drop the boy off and we drove now, on the M25.

“You’ll see the preachers now,” he said to me, his voice clear and distinct unlike the crackling radio. “At least, when we get to our destination.” He glanced at me in the mirror. “Have you spoken to your father?”

“No. Why?”

“Because Sam would have gone back to your hotel, and probably your father would know you were with me. I don’t imagine he’d be very pleased.”

“No,” I said, “no, he wouldn’t. It doesn’t matter now though, does it? What he brought me here to do, to see…it hasn’t

changed me the way he thought it might. Not at all.”

“What?”

“Nothing.” He glanced at me again, but he didn’t press the issue. Instead, I questioned him.

“Why do you live alone with your brother? It’s…odd.”

He kept his eyes straight ahead this time. “He’s not my brother. Jason’s my son.” He cut me off when I started to speak and continued. “My parent’s kicked me out when they found out. His mother--or, I suppose in your world, his other father—died in his birth. Complications. We were 15 or so.”

I stared at him; he was gripping the steering wheel tightly. His knuckles were white.

“…I’m sorry. Does Jason know?”

“…He does. Most of his teachers assume I’m his brother, though. Doesn’t bother me.”

I nodded and our conversation faded into silence. I stared out of the window, at the red and white car lights against the darkening sky.

~

We were in a gay club, in Luton. Or at least, the equivalent in Joshua’s world.

“Are you telling me the preachers are here?” I shouted to Joshua above the deafening music. He said something, but I couldn’t hear it. I looked around, at the neon lights and the crowd of people on the dance floor, twisting, moving, gyrating. This looked like any club back home.

I was snapped out of my awe by Joshua, who grabbed my hand and pulled me over to an empty table. I pulled my hand free of his grasp the moment we sat down, and he gave me a strange look. But he didn’t ask of it.

“Why are we here?” I shouted to him. “I don’t see any preachers!”

“Waiting for friends,” he replied. “They’ll be here soon. Then we’ll go.”

“Finally,” I said. “We’ve been going up and down for a while now.”

“We have, haven’t we?” He was watching the dancers. And then he turned to me.

“D’you want a drink?”

“What?”

“A drink. Do you want a drink?”

We stared at each other across the table. He looked quite serious, with not a trace of a smile or laugh evident on his face.

“…Fine.”

“Alcohol, water or soft drink?”

“A Coke’ll do.”

Joshua stood up, and disappeared in the direction of the bar. When he returned he held a glass of coke which he set before me, and a can of lager which he popped open and began to drink from.

“I didn’t take you for an alcoholic,” I said to him.

He looked at me. “If one can today means I’m an alcoholic, you don’t want to know what I was last Friday.” He threw his head back and drank some more. When he was finished, I asked him:

“What’s this about?”

“The bar? I told you, we’re waiting—“

“Not the bar. Why you’re showing me all these things, telling me all this. Why are you so interested in me?”

His fingers traced a circle on the side of the can. “You look like a good person.”

I snorted in laughter. “Don’t be foolish. That’s no reason for all of this. Why are you really interested in me?”

“…The real reason? There are three. One: You remind me of myself. My father…he’s a pastor as well, preaching all manner of things. I went along with his ways because, well, it was all I’d ever known. How he thought of one thing, how he thought of another. I was his good Christian child, until he found out about Jason.” He sighed. “Your father is doing the same thing. You listen to him now, and he praises you now, and then when you step a toe out of line you’re on your own. The moment you stop being what he wants you to be, you’re on your own. I want to show you everything he never will about what he fights so blindly, everything my father never showed me. They say this is wrong, but they don’t tell you why. They twist the Lord’s words through blindness and mistranslation to prove their point, ignoring what Christianity is truly about—love and understanding.”

He sighed and tapped the side of the can. “Anyway…reason number two. Me, and the friends you’ll meet, we are the founders of Spiral.”

“Of what?”

“Some people think it’s a gay-straight alliance. It’s not. Our members are those who do not focus on gender when it comes to love. Technically, some are gay, and some are straight; some are even bisexual. But we’re attempting to ignore the categories the modern world has given love.”

“And I come into this, how?”

“In short, someone from your world joining our ranks would encourage more people to do so.”

“You’re using me, then?”

“Of course not. If you want you could join us, but it’s not the main reason I’m showing you all of this.”

“Then why—“

“Josh!” We both turned at the sound of the voice. From the looks of it, it belonged to a rather tall girl heading our way, accompanied by a smaller girl who clung to her elbow.

“Hey Josh!” The tall red-head arrived at our table, sitting down with her friend. She looked at me and asked, “This the new guy? He’s cute enough, eh, Ish?” She nudged the girl beside her, who wriggled away from her in annoyance.

“This is Donna,” Joshua said of the red-head, and of the quiet Asian, “this is Ishma. You two, this is Daniel. As I’ve mentioned, Daniel, we lead Spiral. And now, we’d best leave.”

“Oh, come on,” Donna cried, “me and Ish haven’t even had any drinks yet!”

“I already told you I don’t drink,” Ishma said to her, smiling. “Stop joking around.”

“Yes,” Joshua said, “stop joking around. We need to get going, now.” He got up and headed towards the exit.

Donna and Ishma exchanged a look, and then the former turned to me. “What’s gotten into him?”

“He’s been like this since we got on the M25,” I replied with a shrug. “I don’t know, really.”

“We’re going to meet with the pastors,” Ishma said. “That’s why.”

Where I’m just all alone. #~

We drove to a Spiral meeting, which was held in a rented hall. Donna and Ish had their own car, and Joshua and I helped them carry the food they’d brought into the hall. We arranged the tables and the chairs, we hung up decorations and placed the snacks and drinks on the tables. And we...we had fun. Donna was constantly making jokes, or otherwise flirting with me and Ishma. And Ishma was, for a better word, a bit of a klutz. I didn’t understand at first why Joshua told her to relax instead of helping, not until I asked her if she could help with the decorations and all the spiralling ribbons came crashing down on top of us. But we laughed it off, and managed to get them to stay up on our fourth try.

The people started to come not long after we’d finished, and Donna disappeared with a blonde girl. I didn’t see Ishma go,

but I did realize at some point that I and Joshua were alone.

“I guess the preachers are coming?” I said to him. “Because you’ll have to pick up Jason after this.”

Joshua nodded. “They’re here, in fact. You’ll see them in a minute.” We were sitting down now, after he’d introduced me to a few members. Everyone else was talking, eating on another table, or in the case of a few dancing to the slow music.

“So what’s the third reason?”

“…What?”

“Don’t think I’ve forgotten. The third reason you’re doing this. Apart from helping me decide my own life and apart from trying to have me join Spiral. Out with it, then.”

He stared at me. Then he said, “It’s a trade. You tell me what your father wanted to change in you, and I’ll tell you the third reason. Deal?”

“Deal. But you first.”

“No way. You brought up the thing about your father first. So you go first.”

“Is that really fair?”

Joshua smiled. “Yes, Daniel. Yes, it’s fair enough to me.”

I grunted in annoyance and crossed my arms. It was dark outside the windows, and the light inside painted our reflections against it. I could see Joshua watching me from behind.

“Once, I told my father I was…like you. He wasn’t happy about it. No-one in my family was, actually, except my sister. They told me how wrong it was, how I was going to hell…In the end, I refuted my claims. My parents were happy again. My father wanted me to follow in his footsteps now though; he was on my back for every littlest thing. My sis didn’t talk to me after that. She thinks I betrayed myself, suppressed who I was to fit in. But…I didn’t. I’m not gay, Joshua. Not…not a homosexual. I’m here to prove that to my father. And to myself.”

During my talk, I’d unconsciously unfolded my arms. My right hand was on the table, and when his covered it I didn’t pull away. Not immediately.

“I think you’re beautiful,” he said. “It may be a strange reason, but that’s why I first went to the sermons two weeks ago. And then eventually I talked with you, and you eventually agreed to this, and that’s why we’re here. A childish

reason, but a reason all the same.”

I’d turned away from the window, and we were looking at each other. I hadn’t realized that his eyes were green. A very pale green.

“—it! Stop it, Donna!” We turned at the shouting, and my hand moved away from his.

There was some sort-of commotion going on outside. Joshua went there fast, and I followed him. There was a crowd, and in the middle of it, Donna was being restrained by two men, Ishma was crying and being comforted at the edge of the crowd, and there were three men in white pastor robes, talking to the crowd. One, older than the others, was holding a Bible and doing most of the talking:

“—And the it was said in the Holy Bible: ‘Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor heterosexual offenders—“

“Father, please,” Joshua said, walking towards the speaker. “You show up at every meeting. Go away. Leave us in peace!”

The pastor, Joshua’s father, continued his sermon. “ It was also said: "Do not lie with a woman as one lies with a man; that is detestable."”

“Father!” Joshua looked angry now. “You’re not welcome here. You’ve reduced a teenage girl to tears,” here he gestured towards Ishma, “and you’re disturbing everybody. Do I have to call the police again?”

His father looked at him, and his eyes were dark in anger. “We will go, but we will pray for you,” he said.

“Heterosexuality is a sin! The Lord our God said it himself, and those who consort with heterosexuals will also receive the penalty coming to them.” As he turned away, he added, “You too, son.”

~

The meeting ended early. Donna took Ishma home, and the other members went one by one. Me and Joshua tidied up and cleared the hall in silence, and when we were finished he started to drive me back to the hotel.

Our journey was also in silence for the most part. It was only when we got into London that I turned to him and said:

“Thanks.”

“…For what?”

“Today.”

I saw him look at me in the mirror, strangely. “…It’s alright,” he said. “I imagine my father and the other preachers ruined it for you, though.”

“Not really. To be honest, it’s similar to listening to my dad for five minutes.”

He grunted, and the silence continued.

We arrived in front of the hotel, and he parked the car on the double line, keeping the engine running.

“Wait for a minute, will you?” I said to him. “I’ll be back in a sec.”

He looked at me and he nodded.

I went through the car park and inside the building. I’d only just gotten in when a voice said, “Daniel.”

I turned my head to see my father advancing towards me. I didn’t stop, however. I went into the elevator and he followed me. He was talking, but I was only half-listening.

“—Sam told me. A gay? What were you doing with one of them? I thought I told you—“

I hit the button for floor three, and we went up. He was still talking.

“—ruin your life, son. You will go to Hell, don’t you understand that? God doesn’t want this for you. He wants you to repent—“

“You don’t know what God wants, Father,” I said. “No-one has met Him face-to-face! We base the theories we have about Him on an old, mistranslated book! Who are you to say what He wants, what He doesn’t want, what He hates and loves?! You are not God, and only He shall judge us! I prayed to Him the night I talked to you and mother, and you know what?! He didn’t hate me. He didn’t condemn me. That night I felt the love of God flow through me, and it was so much more than what you, or mother ever showed me! God loves me, father! Once, I thought He did not, but He does. He always has.”

My father stared at me in shock. We reached the third floor, and I got out, going to my room. I took the door key from my pocket, and turning it in the lock I entered the room.

Sam was sleeping on his bed, but he woke when my father said, “Daniel, what are you saying? And what are you doing?”

I put my clothes in the rucksack I’d come with; they were all I had here. And with my father and Saml and the other missionaries watching, I returned to the elevator. I got to the ground floor, left the building and reached Joshua who was still waiting in the car. He didn’t say anything when I got in and threw my bag to the back seat, and we sped off into the night.

~

I stayed in the spare room of Joshua’s small apartment. I didn’t eat dinner; I wasn’t very hungry. I’d changed into my nightwear, and was at the small window when Joshua came in. He shut the door behind him and joined me at the window.

“Is Jason asleep?”

“I just put him to bed.”

I nodded, and he said: “You didn’t have to do that, you know. I showed you all those things, but I didn’t want you to change your whole life. I wasn’t asking you to do that at all.”

“That wasn’t my life, Josh. It was my father’s.”

“…You can stay here as long as you like. Immigration shouldn’t be a problem—“

“I’ve got a visa.”

“That’s good. It won’t be a problem then.” He paused, and then quickly ran his hand through my hair. Lightly.

“It—I, I’m glad you’re here, at least.” He said it quietly, in a whisper. I looked at him, at his pale eyes, and I kissed him.

For what seemed to be the barest moment, his mouth was pressing against mine. And then he pulled away.

“Goodnight, Daniel.”

“…Goodnight, Joshua.”

The memory of everything that had happened was still so strong in my mind. And I knew that moving on would be…difficult. But at the very least, I had Joshua. And Jason. And Donna and Ishma. And the sun was still shining.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
180 Reviews


Points: 8691
Reviews: 180

Donate
Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 am
Warrior Princess wrote a review...



I really like this story. The ironic thing is, I got the exact same idea a few months ago--a world, country, or society where the norm was for people to partner with those of the same sex, and heterosexuality was looked upon as perverted and unnatural. You beat me to it though, and for that I must grudgingly applaud you. :P

Well, I have to admit I feel rather insignificant showing up after all the above reviews, seeing how they stretch on for paragraph after paragraph. . . . However, since they've no doubt taken care of the bigger issues, I'll focus on some nitpicks! (Don't you love me???)

I remember when we first saw the Mirror World. We first spotted the silver line in the sky on the 21st of December, and it had been interpreted in a thousand different ways. Those who were of little faith told the rest of us that they were right, that the world was ending. We told you, they said, it’s December 21, 2012, and today we die. Today the world changes forever.


The use of December 21, 2012 was clever. I don't think it's quite what most people have in mind for the supposed catstrophe that's to come on that day, but who can say?

Even my father, Pastor Adams, even though he’d been saying in all the days leading up to the 21st that the whole fuss was secular nonsense. Even he feared it that day.


You repeat "even" several times in this part. The first and third are fine for purposes of parallelism, but you could omit the second one.

With my father and the other Pastors in my small community.


Unless you deliberately capitalized "Pastors" here, it should be a small "p."

We were going to preach, to help the Mirror-Worlders repent. Not that I truly believed it could be done. But I was a Christian, and it was my duty. What’s more, I feared the wrath of my father if I didn’t try.


I don't quite understand where the missionaries first got the idea to go and preach to the Mirror-Worlders. Had they been informed of the people's romantic practices? If so, was that why they chose to do the mission work? You might tell a little more about their decision to go and "save" these people.

“And outside the sermons, I don’t want to see you interacting with them. Not one. Those gays,” he said, flailing his arms about to demonstrate his anger, “they convert people, I swear they do. Stay away from them.”


Bahahaha. This reminded me of my dad. What was that little thing Jesus said about hating the sin but loving the sinner?

I realize that doesn't cover the whole piece (or anywhere near it) but that's all I have time for right now. I may see if I can get around to nitpicking the rest of it later.

Amazing piece!




User avatar
319 Reviews


Points: 9100
Reviews: 319

Donate
Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 am
Jashael wrote a review...



Hey, Tiggie. As you warned, I'm not gonna read this. LOL But I read the first and last parts, and I have to say: girls were using gays for the She's the man contest!!!! It's considered CHEATING. HAHAHAHA...kidding girl. :)




User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 8890
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 am
carbonCore wrote a review...



I commend you for your bravery in approaching this topic. It's not one that a lot of people choose to touch. I do have a partial interest in this, because I was raised in an extremely anti-gay family (not religious, my father simply has a very big problem with gays, just like the elementary school teacher in Mirror World). It's interesting to see different views on the matter, but whenever you write something like this, you're risking offending one party or the other - and that's why I think it was a brave thing to write this.

I enjoyed the use of this parallel world as a wrapper for the actual story inside. It added a bit of foreign charm to it, so to speak. Some of your most emotional and overall most effective descriptions are those of the silver line and "ourworlders" travelling to the world beyond.

Your prose, as usual, is easy and fun to read. This piece was very light on description, but very economical with it at the same time. That's a good thing, because you accomplish more with less. You've nailed the rule of "describe one or two particular details of a scene and you've described the entire scene". It's not easy to choose those one or two details, but you seem to be a natural at this.

--and now, for the less enjoyable part of the review. If you're in a bad mood, I suggest you skip this part until after you've had your tea & crumpets.

I have one huge problem with this piece, and that it's way too heavy handed. I cannot emphasize how heavy handed it is. I was able to predict 90% of the plot based off just the first two scenes. "Okay," I thought, "Daniel isn't actually as anti-gay as he sounds. Then there's the boy who, for some reason, is not being referred to as "the boy" but as the romantic-mysterious "he" even when "the boy" is more appropriate, so I'm placing all my bets that there will be romance by the end of this story. Daniel's father is oppressive, so Daniel will either escape from or stand up to his father." Let me now go into detail.

1. What Daniel says violently clashes with what he thinks. He's supposed to be a "cured gay", and you know how hard people cling to their closet, no matter what the closet may be. What of those hardcore right-wing politicians that are promising to make sure gay marriage isn't ever legalized, only to get caught in the bathroom receiving a blowjob from someone who is certainly not a woman? Dan's been convinced that he is, in fact, straight, and if I were him, I'd stand by that idea to the grave. Certainly, I wouldn't want any more turmoil in my life. That's why I wanted to see Daniel in deep denial. I wanted him to use words like "sexual atrocities", "abominations", and "public enemies of mankind", if only in his thoughts. Instead, I can almost hear his voice cracking under pressure when he denounces gays. I can almost feel the strength with which he's forcing himself to say it. No, this guy is far from convinced. I suppose it's a lot easier to change the mind of an unconvinced gay person than of, say, a straight person. It would be even harder to change the mind of someone who is truly far in the closet, one way or the other. At the end of it all, the problem is that while you paint Daniel as being in denial, it doesn't feel like he's in denial. It feels more like he's waiting for an opportunity to, you know, gay it out. This may have been what you were intending, but I think your piece would be a lot stronger if you wrote a story about Dan gradually defrosting from his cold and hate-filled closet.

2. Then you've got Josh. He's an interesting little cricket, because he delivers the only plot twist I didn't catch - the bit about his son. Apparently, Dan was of my opinion as well, because even if he doesn't immediately take a liking to him, per se, he still thinks that Josh is special somehow. Why? Because he keeps stalking him at the sermons? If I was in denial, I'd chase that guy out of my church and somewhere far away from myself. Remember, I'm thinking about Dan as exactly the type of guy you warned not to read this story - the one that finds a problem with the first four letters of "homosexual". Dan's attempts to turn Josh straight are very lackluster (well, at least convince him that homosexuality is wrong). On the flip side, Josh himself is a bit of a doormat. He has no strong opinions of his own. Everything Dan says that's supposed to be like a bee sting to him, Josh just shrugs off. There's never any serious conflict between them, and that's a shame, because it would have expanded greatly on their characters.

3. Dan's dad sets himself up as a conflict almost right off the bat, when he starts preaching about the horrible-ness of gays. Again, it's Dan's response that makes this an obvious sign. Instead of a "Your wisdom shines true as always, Father! Gays are the blasphemous spawn of Beelzebub, Father!", we get a meek, pointedly unenthusiastic "Yes, father". Combining this with the theme of this story, I get the feeling that there will be a gay-related confrontation later on, or instead, Dan will run off with Josh to live happily ever after. Looks like I was partially right - both things sort of happened.

4. Everyone else. You characterize the inhabitants of the mirror world as "diplomatic". How can they be diplomatic if their opinions are even stronger than that of the people of our own world? They actually look and make comments about heterosexuals in public. Even my dad, who saw two gay dudes start making out and groping each other in front of us while we were walking at a street in Spain, said nothing. You should've seen his expression though, it was priceless. But he said nothing. And he only looked because they weren't looking at him, if they saw him, he'd just act as if nothing happened. The vast majority of people only get courage to act negatively in groups of like-minded individuals - like skinheads, for instance. You've got the mirror world inhabitants getting enough courage to do these questionable things to heterosexuals in public, which would mean that ALL of them who are not heterosexuals are fiercely opposed to them. So, a mirror world it might be, but... is it a mirror world full of fantastic skinheads?

Now, let me finish this review on a very slightly different note. This is, hands-down, my favourite story by you. Everything I said in the beginning still applies - the prose is great, the characters are much better developed than in other works by you I've read, the world(s) are rich, the descriptions spot-on, the drama present... the reason I went on for so long criticizing the parts I've criticized is not because this is a controversial subject, but because it's also a very difficult subject to write about well. Again -- my biggest problem here was the heavy-handedness of this piece. Both sides have people blind to reason, and these people are easy to write about and denounce as bigots. But what about the unfortunate folk that just simply won't listen? I wanted a different perspective here at work, too. You've painted basically everyone who didn't like different people as villains. Yes, it is a silly thing to dislike someone of a different sexual orientation, but think of it more as a mental illness. We're preaching tolerance here. Do the people that are just trying to live the way they grew up, the people that are chronically blind to reason, deserve no tolerance? Hmm...

I will be very impressed if you get through this whole review, I know from first-hand experience that it's not easy to read a critique. Still, I will be more than glad to answer any questions you may have, or reply to any comments. And don't forget that despite all that I said, this is still my favourite work by you.

Your servant,
cC




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi, Tiger!

Here I am to review -- thanks for the request! You've already gotten a lot of good feedback on this story already, so I'm not going to drone on for a long time. As a whole, I think this has some good stuff in it, and pending a few revisions, you will really be able to make it something wonderful and great. Right now, it just feels a little rough. Before I get into the big stuff, I just wanted to mention something about your grammar. First, whenever you have numbers in a story, they should be spelled out. The only exception to this is years.

As a whole, the composition is messy. Kitty15 gave you some good advice about your scene descriptions and atmosphere -- it's very rushed and we don't really get a good idea of what is going on. I didn't realize until the very end that they were in England. Your setting is an important part of your story, right? It made the story somewhat hard to follow and get into.

On top of that, there was just something about it that made it feel more like a drawn out debate as opposed a story with living, breathing characters and an exciting conflict. Your idea is interesting and thought provoking, but there isn't just a lot to do it justice. I'd like to see more development on the fact that is happens after 2012. You have it at the beginning and it jumps your reader right into the story, but you never really mention it again! We get a sense that this somewhat of a post-apocalyptic world, but I would like to see more development on the beginning and how the world didn't end when it was "supposed to". Daniel doesn't have a very strong presence in the story and sometimes I forget that he's narrating. You go back and forth between all of these days of what it means to be gay and straight and how these worlds are different, but slowing down and focusing on the story and what these characters are going through could help a lot.

I'm sorry I don't have more to say. I would look through the other critiques you've been given one more time and go through all of your advice when you edit. Good luck with your revisions, and feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions!

~ Elinor




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hey there! First off, an interesting piece here. I've always loved mirror worlds and parallel universes so I found myself immediately at home here. I found the differing sexualities and, in fact, the difference of the sexes very interesting, but I'd have liked you to explore the world itself quite a bit more.

Scene Description

Some of your scenes here feel really rushed. First they're in England and it's all sedate, no scene description but that's okay because we know we're not going to be there for long. Then there's a very quick plane ride, a brief glance of London from the sky and they land in a hotel which isn't really described and there's the mention of halls for preaching which you skip straight to. Again, there's a lack of description though. I didn't get a real feel for the atmosphere of the halls or the size of them or the shape. I had to keep stopping myself from imagining them in a church because that's where religious stories always take me, back to the local church I used to sing at. If you filled our heads with an interesting hall then it wouldn't happen but we're having to compensate with our own imaginations which can get very lazy at times.

So. Take a step back and slow it down. Go back over your scenes and don't try to rush on to the next so quickly. I want details! Even if it is to plant the image of a very similar Earth, though I'd be more interested to learn of slight differences. I know he's not really allowed to look around but your persona strikes me as someone who's very curious so he should be noting every little detail and weighing it against Earth. Do we have signs like that on Earth? Does this coke taste the same as on Earth? Woah, man, I'm on a bar in another world! (And I'm evidentally young, though not clearly any particular age under 19). Haha, sorry. I'll come to that under a more appropriate heading ;)

Atmosphere

You're writing in third person which means you ought to pay closer attention to the human sense. Us people can take a lot in at once and our brains are constantly working through all these different feeds of information that are being deposited in our heads. The nose goes, ooooh something smells good! And brain goes yes, that's food. So the taste buds go foood? Wait, what, we want food! And the stomach generally agrees (especially for the average male since they're more food gorgers while us females are said to be all about the taste and not the actual substance.) Anyway, I'm not being very clear huh? Let's try this again...

The way to create a strong atmosphere is to stop every time you encounter something new (which happens a lot in this piece) and ask yourself which of the five senses are most appropriate here? You don't want to over-load your reader with information but you should pick two or three out and drop some details in. First, here are the five senses. I'll let you familiarise/ yourself with them before putting it into action:

1. Sight: This one's easy peasy. You've just walked into a new room and oh look, there's some chairs. And a table. And there's stuff on the table. It's very useful for depicting scenes in general and also for picking out those all important details. For example, your character might decide that the new person they just met is clearly a bit scatter brained since they happen to notice that her watch is showing the wrong time. Or you might show that your character is creative by having them see a stain on someone's shirt and think how much it looks like a ballet dancer. This would also show your character pays a great attention to clothes and is most likely female or, perhaps, an effeminate male.

2. Sound: Oooh number two! Alright so sound is very important. The tone of a character's voice can imply if they're a hero or villain, the background noises in a building can help to build a more three dimensional world so that the reader feels there is an outside to the building and an outside to the immediate proximity of the characters. Atmosphere is partly about tricking your reader into entering the world of the story and sound is the strongest sense for this. You tell your reader that the door creaked and they hear a creak in their head and best of all, they put that there. You told them it's a creak but they decided exactly what the creak sounded like so they're adding to the world you're building.

3. Smell: Is there a food smell? Is there a bad smell? Smells are pretty good in helping us get inside the head of a narrator because if we know it smells bad, we can understand their haste to leave a place. If there's a good smell, we understand that they want to follow it.

4. Touch: What is the character touching? What's the texture of the object? For example, when their hands are touching, is the other guy's hand clammy or is it warm? Is it smooth or calloused? Touch is a good sense for when people are getting close to each other. Your character's hand might brush against the fabric of someone's dress and think of all the emotions that can spark in them!

5. Taste: Not used as often as the others but still handy. Does the coke taste the same as the earth one? How does their food taste? You can use it in the metaphorical sense too like, a bitter taste in the air. Or the taste of blood.

Alright. All settled in? Good. Now then, your character has just entered the hotel room of a new world for the first time. What does he see? There's going to be carpet, wall hangings, doors. Then the stuff in his room, the staff moving around. Next. What does he hear? People walking upstairs with tinkling trays or jovial talk in a downstairs room might suggest the time of day to us: dinner time. Or if it's quiet, awkward, hushed. It would suggest there's a cautious atmosphere. Smell. Again, food smells? No food smells? Damp? Perfume or flowers? Touch. Does he touch the sheets on his bed or throw himself back on it to test the springs? Does he touch the walls, just to make sure they're real? When I was younger and my family took me to Spain, I had a fascination with their walls because they were white and slightly spiky and just very different to ours. I'd never thought to touch the wall of a bright house before because that was normal but maybe since this is a different world your character will want to check that what he's seeing also feels the same as on Earth? Taste we've covered enough. Let's move on.

Characterization

The characters all felt a little flat to me. Except Donna and Ishma. When comparing scene time against how much of a feel we got for them, the girls came out as the most easily recogniseable as original and different. You have two priests who both treat their sons like shit. This was your point, I know, but emphasise their slight differences more. They're individual and if we can't see the priests as two characters, we won't manage with Daniel and Joshua either. Make one a little softer than the other, one more fixated on different parts of the bible. Everyone who has ever read the bible has parts they like and don't like. People who dedicate their lives to it have favourite parts which they apply more strongly to their every day lives. Just... seperate them, okay?

With Josh, it's not quite so bad. Josh is pretty well rounded actually, he seems very decided on who he is and what he wants. He's mature and he's generally likeable. I'd have liked to see a little more about possible hobbies, dress sense, things he does that are very him. Like a way of drinking a drink or a way of walking. But generally, not a bad job.

Dan is too feminine sounding for my liking. He's rather lively and curious on the outside but in his head he's mopey and sedate. That works quite well but be careful to combine the two. Where's his curiosity when he looks at Josh? He goes charging after him because he wants to find stuff out but surely just looking at the guy makes him wonder what it would be like to touch him, what it would be like to be a man who could have children. I can't believe he does not once think about that! It was going through my head really early on and the question of how they have sex, if their body parts are different. These are thoughts he should have. He's free to be ambarrassed by them but he should have the thoughts!

Another thing, guys need food. Not all guys, but most and I'm not joking here. Your guys don't eat, not once. I know you skip about but a whole day goes by here and they do all this stuff without eating anything! Or even thinking about food! The amount my brother and male friends eat and drink is crazy. I mean I love the taste of food so I'm a snacker myself, but they'll just like hoard food. They keep it all over their rooms, stack it up at their desks. Don't starve your characters is all I'm saying, having a character stuff their mouth at inappropriate moments add some humour and realism ;)


Annnnd I think I'll leave the nit-picking out. I don't want to keep you here for hours trawling through my comments xD If you'd like though, feel free to do some editing and then drop me another bell and ask for something a little more focused on the text itself. There's some dialogue there that could be tweaked and a few sentences where you lose your focus. Of course, this might be enough to work on for now which is fine too xD Well, feel free to PM me with any questions! Hope this helped a little,

Heather xxx




User avatar
253 Reviews


Points: 17359
Reviews: 253

Donate
Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 pm
RacheDrache wrote a review...



So, I read this yesterday and thought it was beautiful. I still think it's beautiful and am pretty sure I still will tomorrow. It's a wonderful piece of writing. I wish this review would end up being more helpful, but in the end, I'm fairly dreadful with short stories once I can no longer tell people that they're dangling modifiers.

My biggest complaint, I think, has already been mentioned by your previous reviewers--the POV shifts. They need fixing. Also, the song lyrics (?) were somewhat strange and I couldn't figure out exactly why they were there, if they were splitting the scenes or what.

I didn't have a problem with the plot. It's implausible but that didn't matter, at least not to me. It's not, in the end, a fantasy story, and so I'm not concerned with everything working out logically. After all, it more or less all goes to support the theme and Daniel's growth so...all that didn't really matter to me.

The tone of this was sort of detached and dreamy, aloof. On one hand, I like that a lot, because instead of this being so much about Daniel it shifts the focus to various other things, like the events and the transformation itself, to the dialogue and the issues. But, on the other hand, maybe it'd be a good idea to include more thoughts and feels from Daniel, bring him alive as a character himself more than as an allegorical (maybe? I don't know. I'm not well versed in any religious text at all) figure. Regardless of whether he is allegorical, though, he does feel like that... like more than a character, more like an archetype...which is part of the beauty.

But, the allegorical feel, at the same time, might be bad, because then it can pretty much be the people who agree with you liking the story and the people who disagree disliking the story. So maybe more thoughts and feelings and developing of Daniel (and other characters) into individuals.

The setting is sort of not-there and I like it that way...on the one hand. Because even with the extra u's and the s's instead of z's I was able to forget that the story was over in the UK and not here in the States. On the other hand, it's the same thing as above... and making statements with literature can be so touchy. London-ifying it up might help, if you decide to change things.

In the end... well, I guess it's just good, maybe, to remind yourself of why you wrote this, of what story you're trying to tell and to make sure you're doing that. But, really, this was a beautiful story, in my opinion, and I enjoyed reading it very much, and I wish it the best.

I don't know if there's anything more I can say besides that. Sorry :-( Let me know if you have any questions!

Rach




User avatar
138 Reviews


Points: 3277
Reviews: 138

Donate
Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm
MadameLuxestrange wrote a review...



Hiya! I'm Luxy and I'll be reviewing this for you today.

First off, I applaude you for picking this storyline. This particular topic is very personal to me as I am a huge advocate for LGBT rights/marriage.

Now, regarding your story: Your idea is fresh and original, which gives you tons of creativity points. I've not come across any author yet who has had a parallel world regarding sexuality. Using 2012 as an entrance for it was pretty awesome too. I liked Daniel a lot, although I think that you should've made him a little more guilty about what he was doing. All I got from him was that he thought it couldn't be done, not that he didn't want to do it. I would use some foreshadowing to give us a clue that he's gay so that we can understand where he's coming from. I already recognized that he was probably gay, but others might not.

When you get into Daniel interrupting the sermon, add a little bit more on how he actually got into it. All you say is that he was giving his father water and then he's preaching all of the sudden. Grammar was for the most part good, although there was one area that you switched from talking about Joshua in the third person, to talking about him in the second. I think it would work out either way, but make it one or the other because your reader can get confused. The rest of the story was very good, but when you get to the end, I think you rushed it a bit. I might not be remembering it correctly, but I think you had them moving in with each other at the end of the day they hung out? If that's right, then it was too fast.

To sum this up, I think that you did a fantastic job on this piece. I would highly recommend this to other people to read...it's great! I'm confident you'll win the contest!

Keep Writing!
Luxy :D




User avatar
721 Reviews


Points: 7241
Reviews: 721

Donate
Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 pm
Azila wrote a review...



Tiger! I really, really liked this. Like. A lot. Anyway, I can gush later. I'm not going to do a ton of nit-picks, since there really isn't much to nit-pick (it all flowed really nicely and stuff like that) but there are a few little things that I'd like to bring to your attention.

Even my father, Pastor Adams, even though he’d been saying in all the days leading up to the 21st that the whole fuss was secular nonsense. Even he feared it that day.
I'm not sure if this is intentional or not (it is preacherly to use repetitive sentences) but this sounded awkward to me. Maybe take out the second "even?"

A British man piloted it, and he flew right into the silver lining over the Atlantic Ocean.
This makes it seem like it's one lone explorer... wouldn't it probably be a government plane or something? That just sounds a bit more modern-day, to me.

But there was one in particular, the one which started the controversy.
Do you mean one difference in particular? Looking at this after reading the whole piece, I think that is what you mean (and the difference is the sexuality) but the first time I read it I was confused by this part. I thought that you might be talking about one person in particular.

I knew the worlds were similar; I’d read all the newspaper reports and I’d heard the testimony of the missionaries who’d gone before us.
Don't say that. Please. You sound like Sarah Palin. >.< In this day and age, nobody can read all the newspapers--it's impossible. There are far too many! You could say something like "I'd read all the newspaper reports I could lay my hands on" or something, but don't claim he's read all the newspaper reports ever written about the subject, because he couldn't have.

The Mirror-Worlders were very diplomatic. They learnt about us, and as we visited their world they visited ours. They didn’t mind--or seem to mind--the purpose of our visit, they set us up in a hotel and booked us a hall where we could deliver our sermons. I wondered at it, and at some point my father said to me,

“Don’t be fooled by the kindness. They’re just doing it to show that they are civilized. But they’re not, really.”
Hmm... this part felt a little bit tell-y to me. You just told us all this about the Mirror-Worlders, but you don't really need to because you show it to us later on (in the scenes where his father is preaching). I'm also intrigued by the fact that the Mirror-Worlders visit "our" world... but you don't mention it anywhere but here. And the "I wondered at it" could be elaborated much more, don't you think? The thing is, you do elaborate on all of it... but you do it later. I don't think this paragraph is really needed. Also, you don't need the paragraph space before the dialogue.

“We do not come to cause tension,” my father was saying, that day I first noticed him.
This really sounds like "him" is the father, not the Mirror-World boy. I understand what you're saying now, after I've read the whole thing, but the first time I didn't get it at all. Since throughout this whole conversation (and a few others, I think) you just refer to him as "he," it seemed like he was his father... which was really confusing. >.< I understand that you don't want to reveal his name until later, but what about calling him "the [adjective] boy/man" or something? He needs some title, I think, so that he isn't just "he." Actually, for the rest of this scene I'm really confused who does what--does Daniel encourage him to speak or does his father? That whole scene could use some clarification (in my opinion, anyhow).

“I’m not talking of your missionaries. I’m talking of ours. How can you possible hope us to listen to you when you don’t listen to us?”
Possibly?

“But not his love then?” and here he raised an eyebrow at me.
You should capitalize "his" and "him" when you're talking about God, I think. You do it sometimes, but it's not consistent.

He was persistent, and incredibly annoying.
This is rather tell-y, and sounds a bit out-of-character.

I told him about your persistence as we sat in the back of the cab.
Who's you? Did this used to be in second person? ^_~

He laughed until the librarian hushed you, and even then he still smiled as he led us to the very back of the library, where the books were dusty and old.
Once again, with the second person...

“Perhaps it was God’s intention to make us different, Daniel,” and you added when I looked at you, “Your father called you by that at a sermon.”
And again.

“I know, Daniel, I do. My father was a preacher too. But against…against people like you. Gay people, that is.”
Does he remember the strange look I gave him? He probably does; it had some anger in it as well.
Firstly, why is that "was" rather than "is?" It makes it seem like his dad is dead, or something. Also, there should be a space between these two paragraphs. Though I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that last sentence... it sounds like it used to be in second person as well, but then you changed the "you"s to "he"s. But it doesn't sound like the kind of thing you'd say if you were to start in third person.

He flung his arms around my strange companion, and spouted asked at least ten questions in the space of 30 seconds, of which I only heard three: When did you meet Miss Williams? and Did you know that I came top of the class in spelling? and Who is that strange guy, Joshua?
? ^.~

As it turned out, Joshua had a car, because we drove to drop the boy off and we drove now, on the M25.
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this sentence. :/ Did Daniel not realize until now that Joshua had a car?

“No,” I said, “no, he wouldn’t. It doesn’t matter now though, does it? What he brought me here to do, to see…it hasn’t
changed me the way he thought it might. Not at all.”
Why is there that line-break? You do this a few times, but I'm not going to point out all of them... I think you can find them on your own. ^_~

“Finally,” I said. “We’ve been going up and down for a while now.”
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean...

When he returned he held a glass of one coke which he set before me, and a can of lager which he popped open and began to drink from.
I may be wrong, but I think that should be either "a glass of coke," or "one coke," or even "one glass of coke." The way it is sounds weird to me.

I’m want to show you everything he never will about what he fights so blindly, everything my father never showed me.
I think that should just be "I want."

“Yes,” Daniel said, “stop joking around. We need to get going, now.”
Wait a second. You mean Joshua said that, right? I'm confused. >.<

Donna and Ish had their own car, and I and Joshua helped them carry the food they’d brought into the hall.
This is probably a matter of opinion, but it sounds more natural to say "Joshua and I" to me...

That night I felt the love of God flow through me, and it was so much more than what you, or mother ever showed me!
Shouldn't that be "tonight?"

And with my father and Samuel and the other missionaries watching, I returned to the elevator.
Samuel? He's been Sam up until now, hasn't he...?
--------

Well, that's about it for nit-picks. In general, just be careful about two things: 1) paragraph spacing. I mentioned this in the nit-picks, but sometimes your formatting is a little odd. 2) remember to make "he" and "his" and stuff like that when you're talking about God. I'm not religious, so I'm not offended by it at all, but I think it's considered a common courtesy. If you don't do it, then you're making a statement.

-----------------------------

Overall, I really, really liked this. I love the idea of the Mirror World. It was an excellent comment on how people will rile up against other people (and use religion to back their arguments), even though all people are really the same. I wonder, if we actually found a Mirror World, what would the relationship with the "ordinary" world be like? I have a lot of questions about the Mirror World (some of which I will go into below) but for the most part I'm impressed with how you've given us a good sense of the world without getting carried away with world-building. You are specific enough to give the reader a good understanding, but vague enough to really have a lot of space to focus on the actual plot within the space of a (albeit rather long) short story. I am also impressed with the character interaction and the dialogue. It all felt very real and very believable. I don't know much about Christianity, but I feel like there may be some Biblical commentaries in here as well... I know both Daniel and Joshua are Biblical names, and I don't know what relationship the two have in the Bible, but I am left wondering if there is some reference in there... anyway, I liked it a lot. Well done, Tiger!

That said, there are (of course) a few not-so-positive things I'd like to discuss.

Firstly, what is the deal with the letter? I feel like the piece used to be in letter form (from Daniel to Joshua) and that's why there are some sections in second person. But it seems like you've taken it out of letter-format... and I'm not sure what it is now. You mention the letter in the beginning, but I'm not sure what it means. And I took the center-justified interjections ("A place away from the world’s demands/Where I’m just flesh, just bone./A place where I fear no command") to be lyrics of the song that's playing on the radio... but I'm not sure. I feel like you have a great idea under the surface there, but I can't quite get at what it is, exactly. It might just be that you've been editing so there are chunks of a different version here and there, but for whatever reason I found it confusing. I love the story, but I'm a little unclear about how it was told.

The other big issue, for me, was Daniel. I think he's supposed to be a little awkward, and he's not supposed to know himself very well. He's trying to understand who he is and what it means to be true to himself. I like those complexities, those uncertainties, and I don't think they need to be clarified... but I would like to be let into his head a little bit more. I'd like to know what he's thinking when he's in the car with Joshua, or at the Spiral meeting, or at the pub--is he nervous? Does he feel awkward? Does he question whether he should be there at all? Does he think about what his father would think if he knew? I'd like to see a little more of that. Right now, it feels like you're concentrating mostly on the actual plot, and not on letting us into the character's head. If this were in letter format, it would make sense, because we'd just be reading what Daniel wanted us to know about him... but if it's not a letter, if it's a short story in first-person, then I expect to feel like I was Daniel, not just like I met Daniel, if that makes sense.

Other than that, my biggest issues were with the plot. For example, did Daniel and his father and the other missionaries from "our" world bring Bibles? I think you said they did. But then wouldn't the Mirror-Worlders have read about the other idea of sexuality before Daniel spoke up about it? Wouldn't they have read the passages that are different from their Bible? Also, what was the whole thing about going to see the pastors? Joshua expected them to be at the Spiral meeting, right? So why did he get so mad at them and tell them to leave? It seemed to me like they were the reason Daniel had come to the meeting at all, so that felt a little odd to me. I also wondered if this really belongs in the Romance section. The fact that it's there sort of gave away the fact that Joshua and Daniel would fall in love, and besides, it doesn't seem (to me) like their relationship is the point of the piece...it seems like the Mirror World is. Oh well, it's up to you of course. ^.^

All in all, as I said before, I really like this. I wonder: since Daniel and Joshua are different races (sort of, anyway) will they be happy together? I mean, will they be able to have children? Because Daniel is the kind of human that could only have a child with a female, but Joshua could only have a child with a male... hm... you don't have to clarify that--it's fun to ponder. ^_^ Well, I have to finish up now. Thank you for the tremendous read! I really, really like the idea and the symbolism. Actually, it's kind of a similar message to my entry, isn't it? About how humans are all the same and barriers and bigotries are all artificial... only I think yours is much more potent and relevant to these times.

I like it a lot, even if it makes be depressed to read it because I know I stand no chance in this competition!

I have to go now, but if you have any questions or comments or anything like that feel free to contact me! I hope this helps. ^_^

a





In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien