z

Young Writers Society



The Forger's Apprentice

by Azila


The last of the orange left the iron, beat away by the forger's hammer.

With his right hand, Merwel swung a hammer repeatedly at the metal; with his left he gently turned it so that where the rods joined, they ended together in one slightly twisted point. It was already turning out quite elegantly, really, but I could tell that it would lack some of his son's finesse. As the third rod was added, Golkyn's uncharacteristic absence from the forge was all the more evident in the way Merwel placed the metal almost haphazardly, only perfecting the angle after he had already fused the pieces together. In the end, the result was not terribly different, but it was this type of imprecision that set the work of the forger's apprentice above that of his master.

Not that I was one to judge, of course.

And besides, it made no difference. Every building in Baegard had at least one charm, and some had so many that I was fairly sure most people considered them mere necessities. They could be pentagrams, like this one, or asterisks, with five rods radiating out from the center. The construction could be simple or embellished, masterful or shoddy – none of it mattered, really, so long as the charm had five points.

Elves had particular admiration for the number five. Numbers, people said, were the one area in which the human race could ever impress the elven.

When Merwel had melded the final rod into place, he nodded at the boy who had been pumping the furnace that day. The boy stood up, took his cloak from the hooks on the east wall, and left the forge. I found my heart sinking as I watched him go – Golkyn must not have been coming, else the boy would have stayed to man the furnace for him.

“Come in, then,” Merwel called, removing his gloves and wiping his brow with his blackened sleeve. From where I sat, I couldn't see the door of the forge, so I held my breath, waiting for its signature creak. It didn't come. “You're just going to sit there?” he asked, as he turned around to face me.

I gasped – I couldn't help it. How in the Rasweald had he spotted me? This had always been my favorite nook in the whole city. Hidden behind the pile of scrap-metal behind the forge, I had crouched here for longer than I could remember – thinking myself invisible.

“You are stupid, aren't you?” The whites of his eyes glowed bright against his soot-blackened skin. The irises were dark brown – just like his son's.

He grunted and crossed his arms over his burly chest. Despite the long hours he could spend carefully shaping one piece of metal, outside of his work he was not known to be a patient man. I didn't particularly want to know what he wished to do to me, but I also didn't want to think about what would happen if I kept him waiting. I stood up and slid out from my nook. His expression had been unreadable – was he angry? Was this, perhaps, the reason Golkyn had not arrived yet? Probably, like everyone else, he thought I would bring him and his son bad luck.

I made my way over the piles of stone rubble and metal scraps to the forge door, finding it at least half a meter ajar. Bright orange warmth escaped through the gap, dissipating in the chilly outside air. I slipped tentatively through and found Merwel still standing, arms crossed, looking at the back wall. So he hadn't seen me after all – I had thought not; the peek-hole was far too small to be seen from the inside. How, then, had he known it was there? How had he known I was there?

I was going to exit quickly before he'd seen me, but as I backed out, my foot hit the pile of scrap-metal waiting to be melted down. A dull clang echoed through the little forge-room. Merwel spun towards me immediately. I pressed myself against the door, instinctively trying to be as invisible as possible. For a moment, he just stood there, eyes shooting holes in my mouth, then he grunted again and reached his hand into a leather pocket he wore tied around his waist.

“He thought you might come today. Here. He made this for your... birthday.” He forced the last word out as he shot his hand towards me, his eyes evading mine. I hesitated. Why hadn't Golkyn come himself? And if he couldn't come, what had convinced his father to deliver the gift? How did Merwel even know about it?

“He's been taken, stupid, if that's what you are gawking about.” His soot-blackened face was hard, and his eyes still didn't look at me as he thrust his hand forward again. “Here.”

Taken? Taken? The word oozed slowly into my brain and refused to be absorbed. An image sank in before the word did – of Golkyn being ushered off to the Rasweald by a court of elves. Their slender backs were erect under fine, billowing cloaks, and their faces were more unnaturally beautiful than ever. I could hear their singing, and see the way Golkyn's dark eyes clouded and the corners of his lips twisted in satisfaction at the cold, sweet sound....

“Augh!” Merwel half snorted, half gagged the sound and tossed the contents of his hand in my direction before turning back to his work. The gift landed with a clang against the metal that I had kicked, where I picked it up without hesitation.

In the dim light, my fingers recognized the object before my eyes had a chance to. My hand made a fist around it as I ran from the forge.

Taken. My thumb traced the dark surface of the charm, still unable to associate the word with his name. It was a star, made of five rods that were molded together around a small ring in the center. He had made the arms straight and smooth with a pointed curl to the end of each one. The whole charm fit easily in the palm of my hand. I could hardly imagine how much care it must have taken to form such a small thing so flawlessly. Could this charm have been the reason for his being chosen? Could the elves have seen his craftsmanship and realized that their race would benefit from his contribution? I knew elven reasoning was never so easy to understand, but I still couldn't shake the feeling.

After all, what was the purpose of charms if not to appease the elves?

I fished from my pocket a piece of strong, slender twine. It was so rare to find something beautiful in the streets of Baegard that when I'd seen it a few weeks before, I'd had to keep it. I used it now to tie the charm around my neck. The metal rested, cold and heavy, over my heart.

I stood up and set off farther up the hill, towards the Rasweald. Just then, I would have gone anywhere to get away from Baegard. Away from the filth-streaked white clay and stone buildings. The dark, winding streets of mud or uneven cobblestones. Mostly, I was getting away from the people. The hill was naturally too rocky to farm, and because nobody could find a better use for the land, the iron mine would dump its waste there. People rarely ventured onto the craggy, mullock-littered slope, so I could climb up it naturally rather than navigate by darting and hiding as I did in the city, ever afraid of someone noticing me.

“All because of your lip?” Golkyn had asked me once, as we sat in the forge one night after his father had left. Yes. All because of my lip. And the way people stared at it. And the things people blamed me for because of it.

“Isn't is curious,” they'd say, “that I see her run through the courtyard one day and sprain my ankle in the same place the next?” Or, “she stole a loaf of bread from the pub in the spring and in autumn the rats swarmed the kitchen like nothing I've ever seen!” They blamed me for my mother's illness and death, and swore that it was wise of my father, whoever he was, to never have made himself known to me. Someday, maybe, I would show them all that... that what? That I didn't bring a curse upon all I met? Even I was starting to wonder....

I was shaken from my wondering by my foot plunging into frigid water. I withdrew my step and almost cursed – until I realized where I was.

One does not curse in the Rasweald.

I had barely entered under the canopy of the trees, but already I was in a different world than the rank, crowded streets of Baegard. Gone were the groans and creaks of wooden machinery, the squeals and whines of children – the coarse, filthy, quarrelsome voice of the city. The only sounds in the Rasweald were the trills and chirps of birds, bugs, and small mammals, and the constant tinkle of water-droplets endlessly splashing into the forest floor. The slender trees were velvety with sage colored moss, their trunks growing straight out of the clear, sun-dappled water. The water itself was too cold to touch for more than a moment - and farther into the Rasweald it quickly became deep enough to drown in - but it was possible to walk through the forest by way of sections of mossy earth that rose out of the water and wound, path-like, through the trees.

The paths only went a few hundred meters into the forest before turning around and looping back. When someone was taken, people said, a path would appear for them, stretching beyond the reach of the others and leading far into the depths of the elven lair.

I chose the first path I saw and began walking down it, wondering vaguely if Golkyn knew I was there. Was that why I had come? To try and save him from the elves? The Rasweald encircled Baegard like a fortress, and the elves who inhabited it watched over our city, protecting us from whatever lay beyond. Maybe it was the fact that despite the lethally cold water all around (with which my foot still throbbed), I was pleasantly warm under the trees. Or maybe it was the intricate delicacy of the moss, or simply the overall serenity of the forest – whatever the reason, the Rasweald felt of elves. Of elves and of earth. And of the eternal bond between the two.

Even I knew the tale: in ancient times, the elves joined the battle against the earth when all else seemed lost, neutralizing the humans' mindless flames and soothing the humiliated land. There was nothing for the foolish, careless humans to do but surrender to the fabulous power of nature's army. And as thanks for the elves' service, the earth had granted their lair its most spectacular beauty.

If it hadn't been for the unearthly chill that came over the place at night, I probably would have abandoned the city long ago to live here. Surely Golkyn would have a better life here than he would have had in Baegard?

None knew exactly what became of people who had been taken by the elves. Some said the race reproduced by taking humans into the Rasweald and, by some mysterious rite, transforming them into elves. Others said they took particularly virtuous humans into their lair to live out the rest of their lives as honored guests. Be good, they would tell their children, and you, too, may be taken by the elves one day! But then there were the other theories, whispered in dark pubs and dirty alleys, that people were taken to be displayed as oddities for the entertainment of elven courts – or to be sacrificed to the terrible beast that lurked beyond the Rasweald.

In any case, most people agreed that whatever horror or humiliation might befall the person who was taken, and whatever sorrow was felt by their loved ones, was a small price to pay for the protection the elves provided our city.

Sometimes they would come in the middle of the day, singing in the streets, smiling and nodding their beautiful heads at everyone they passed until they found the one they wanted. Other times, people were taken in the dead of night, and nobody would know they were gone until morning. I wondered if Merwel had witnessed his son being taken. Had he tried to stop them, or had he stood stoically, knowing resistance was pointless, a solitary tear sliding down his rough cheek?

I stopped walking when I noticed something in the air. For it was no longer merely refreshingly clear; now it was spiced with a delicate sweetness.

The scent was unmistakable.

I craned my neck backwards to look up the unbelievably long, straight trunks of the trees. And there they were, in the high canopy. I could just barely see their slender bodies leaping around easily in the branches, gliding over the gossamer bridges between trees. I could hear the high, cold elven laughter like the far-off chiming of so many glass bells.

And then they started leaving the trees.

Long limbs wrapped around trunks, they slid easily down, their way made smoother by the soft moss. First two or three, then ten, fifty, soon hundreds of them were descending all around me. Everywhere I looked, I saw them flying downwards, their embroidered cloaks and long, fine hair fluttering around them. Their laughter filled the air, quieting the birds. When they reached the water, they did not splash, but rather barely made ripples as they landed on the surface and stepped lightly across it.

Towards me.

I had never felt so many eyes on me, let alone such bright, clear eyes as these. I found my right hand clinging to the charm around my neck. The first one to reach me ran a cool hand through my hair, laughing. It was not a cruel laugh, nor a mocking, or even humorous one. I doubt there was ever any word to describe the emotion of the elves, because I doubt there was ever a human who understood it.

Soon, they were all around me, their smooth fingers caressing my hair, my hands, my face – my lips. I had heard of elves healing a wounded foal, or returning vision to a blind child. Could they – would they – possibly...?

I closed my eyes, allowing the thousands of cool, slender fingers to support me.

And what would I do if they did? If all of a sudden I had a real face? I would no longer be afraid to be seen. I would talk and eat in front of anyone I pleased. I would do anything I pleased. The whole city would bow at my feet.

Then the elves started to sing. I had heard their song before, but not like this. The harmonies enveloped me, licking my ears with cool tendrils, caressing my very mind. And then I realized – I could live with the elves. They would welcome me gladly. I would live in their trees and dance and sing with them. After a few days of eating their food and living by their ways, I would become one with them.

And I would see Golkyn again! Only no longer would I be a pitiful girl helplessly accepting his charity – I would be his equal. And not only his equal; I would be one with him! For all elves were one. There could never be an elf, only... the elves.

As I thought that, their song erupted into such sublime, lilting peals that my heart quickened. And a crazy, wild possibility flashed through my mind – a future in which I would never be lonely again. Gone would be the shameful, deformed vagrant; I would be among the proud and elegant elves. I could forget completely about Baegard – already, the word felt strange and vulgar - leaving all the people who had ever mocked me to squander in the dank filth of the city's streets while I danced in elven courts high in the trees.

But there was something else, something whose tugging in the back of my mind could not be soothed even by the elves' song. I had always sought to blend in, to be indistinguishable from my surroundings. How was that so different from becoming one with the Rasweald, as the elves were? What if, instead, I went back to the city? Without my deformity, I would be capable of anything. I would become a hero to the city, gaining their trust merely by my confidence.

The song swelled and flowed, easing its way into my heart. Or, I thought, I could join the elves and in so doing win not only their trust, but also their love. The unconditional, immortal love of their unity.

Love... yes. What a beautiful notion. But would I not have the love of my people, if I was their hero? What if I were to win the love of the elves through the charm? I would make for them the most beautiful charm ever seen, each point more than a kilometer long, made from a fine, fractal-like pattern. They would be so taken with it that in return, they would transform Baegard into a splendid place with buildings of white marble and streets of shining gold. The charm would be the first ever bridge between the races, and because I was to thank for it, both elves and humans would flood me with love and gratitude. And finally, when our alliance was firmly built, we would together annihilate whatever it was that lay on the far side of the Rasweald. And humans would once again rein over the earth.

Only this time, the elves would not let us destroy it.

With this thought, I had expected to hear a sweet chorus of encouragement, but the elves' song was gone. Their hands had abandoned my body, and their scent was no longer detectable. All I felt was five aches in the palm of my right hand, where the points of the charm had been digging into my skin.

I opened my eyes.

Before me was the hill that lead down to Baegard – to the filthy buildings, rotted roofs and scuttling vermin, the clouds of insects. The dark streets bristling with people. So many people. So much coarse, dirty clothing and grimy skin. So many eyes, ears, minds – so many mouths. What had I done? I shook my head, instinctively taking a step backwards.

My heel was submerged in frigid water.

Cursing, I removed my foot. I'd let go of the charm in my shock and now it lay heavy over my heart, still warm from my grip. Slowly, I made my way down the hill.

My heel was throbbing from cold, but I forced feet to lead me down the slope and through the streets of the city. I willed my spine to be erect, my eyes to point straight ahead. I forbade them to notice the reactions of people I passed.

It wasn't long before I was at the forge door. It squealed loudly as I opened it, announcing my arrival better than a knock could have.

Merwel looked up from a mallet he was fixing and stared at me, his face characteristically unreadable. My chest was too tight, and my throat too dry to form words. Instead, I forced my body over to the hooks on the east wall and picked up the white apprentice's sash that was still hanging there. Merwel's eyes flashed.

Looking straight at him, I tied the sash around my waist.

--------------------

This was written for TIGERSPRITE's Magical Realism & Fantastic Contest. It is a bit longer than what I usually like to post on here, but I didn't have the heart to split it. Based on reviews I got here, and the input of some family/friends, I've just made some major edits to this.

Please feel free to be brutal.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
602 Reviews


Points: 1609
Reviews: 602

Donate
Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am
Wolf wrote a review...



Clearly your absence hasn't had a negative effect on your writing abilities! I loved reading that - it was wonderful.

Now for some nit picks ... I just skimmed your previous reviews, so I'm sorry if I mention things they've said already.

Azila wrote:The last of the orange left the iron, beat away by the forger's hammer.

With his right hand, Merwel swung a hammer repeatedly at the metal; with his left he gently turned it so that where the rods joined, they ended together in one slightly twisted point.


Asides from the repetition, this is a beautiful beginning. I'm not really sure if it can be fixed, though, since the only synonym for hammer I can think of is 'tool' and that would sound awkward. :/


As the third rod was added, Golkyn's uncharacteristic absence from the forge was all the more evident in the way Merwel placed the metal almost haphazardly, only perfecting the angle []b]after he had already[/b] fused the pieces together.


I think the 'already' is unnecessary here, but it's fine either way, just my personal opinion.

Hidden behind the pile of scrap-metal behind the forge, I had crouched here for longer than I could remember – thinking myself invisible.


This is really nit-picky, but I'm 99.9% sure that 'scrap-metal' doesn't have to be hyphenated.

The whites of his eyes glowed bright against his soot-blackened skin. The eyes themselves were dark brown – just like his son's.


Once again this is sort of nit-picky, but, I think the repetition could be avoided if you said "the irises themselves" instead of "the eyes".

For a moment, he just stood there, eyes shooting holes in my mouth, then he grunted again and reached his hand into a leather pocket he wore tied around his waist.


I'm a little confused by this.

I used now to tie the charm around my neck.


I think you meant to say, "I used it now"?

People rarely went on the craggy, mullock-littered slope, so I could climb up it naturally rather than navigate by darting and hiding as I did in the city, ever afraid of someone noticing me.


This part sounds less elegant than the rest. I think it would sound better as "People rarely ventured onto the" instead, but that's just a suggestion.

The only sounds in the Rasweald were the trills and chirps of birds, bugs, and small mammals, and the constant tinkle of water-droplets endlessly splashing into the forest floor.


This might just be me, but I don't think that has to be hyphenated.

Sometimes they would come in the middle of the day, singing in the streets smiling and nodding their beautiful heads at everyone they passed until they found the one they wanted.


There should be a comma between 'streets' and 'smiling'. :)

I stopped walking when I noticed something in the air. For it was no longer merely refreshingly clear; now it was spiced with a delicate sweetness.


There's nothing wrong with these sentences, I just think it sounds a bit choppy, like there should be a comma after air instead of a period. But then it would be a really long sentence ... hmm, I think it would be better as just 'It was no longer' without the 'for' in front - just a suggestion though.

I could hear the high, cold elven laughter like far-off chiming of so many glass bells.


I think there should be a 'the' between 'like' and 'far-off'.

And a crazy, wild possibility flashed through my mind – a future in which I would never be lonely again.
[/quote]

For some reason I think it would sound better as 'wild, crazy'. :S

________________________________________________

Overall, this is amazing. At first I was frustrated that you never fully explained the problem with her lips, but I think it actually helped the story. As usual your descriptions were wonderful. :)

The only thing I found strange was that she didn't seem very upset about her friend being taken. But other than that, it was perfect. I wish I had more useful things to say!

Definitely deserving of the contest win. :D




Random avatar

Points: 1164
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 pm
Shadowdance wrote a review...



Very good story. There were a few words missing here and there, but other than that, there wasn't a whole lot wrong with it. I liked that the MC was female, because I've read very few stories where the MC is (and have often wished there were more such). I thought it was cool that she wasn't bitter over her deformity, because the whole point of the story seems to be that she wished to bridge the gap between the elves and humans. If she was super-bitter over that, and still wished to help everyone, including the people who were cruel to her and thought she would curse them, well...it just wouldn't make sense. I agree that you should make a novel out of this; I don't know about everyone else, but I'd like to hear a little more about her life in the city, more about her relationship with the guy who was taken, and if she succeeds in her quest to make a charm one kilometer long at all points.
Because it is obvious she is going to do so, when she puts on the white aprentice's sash. If you read over the last part of the story, it is obvious.
I liked that the MC wasn't taken like her friend, because then she couldn't make the giant charm. I must admit, however, that I thought she would be taken...and I kind of thought the story would turn into a rescue-type thing. It would have been cool if she did try, but then it would have taken longer to see her essentially kind nature--if you got to see it at all. Let's face it, it would be harder to show that she really was interested in helping everyone in the city if she had been completely focused on getting her one and only friend out of the elves' hands.
Overall, you can really see why this was a contest winner.




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 8517
Reviews: 147

Donate
Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:01 pm
Tigersprite wrote a review...



...This has never happened to me before. I went through this, I scoured every word and sentence, and the only mistake I could come up with was this:


I chose the first path I saw and began walking down it, wondering vaguely if Golkyn knew I was there. Was that why I had come? To try and save him from the elves? The Rasweald encircled Baegard like a fortress, and the elves who inhabited it watched over our city, protecting us from whatever lay beyond. Maybe it was the fact that despite the lethally cold water all around (with which my foot still throbbed), I was pleasantly warm under the trees. Or maybe it was the intricate delicacy of the moss, or simply the overall serenity of the forest – for whatever the reason, the Rasweald felt of elves. Of elves and of earth. And of the eternal bond between the two.



So really, not much to say. The writing was fantastic, and there were no grammatical or spelling mistakes anywhere in sight. My only nitpick might be:

Parts of the story were slightly confusing. I guess it's not important, but why did Golkyn get taken off? Why did the elves perform that strange ritual-thing on the MC? I thought they were going to kick her out of their forest for trespassing or something. And in the beginning, with all the talk of elves it took me quite a while to figure out that the MC, Golkyn and Merwel were indeed human.

But there's not much else, all the other reviewers have covered it. And to echo Skins' review, this actually reminds me of my writing, especially The Spirit Boy. It's eerie. :wink:

Beautiful descriptions, really great writing. Amazing job, and KEEP WRITING!

TIGERSPRITE

P.S. The contest results are being posted today.




User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 7715
Reviews: 522

Donate
Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:27 am
canislupis wrote a review...



Hello! This'll have to be quick, my internet time is running out. Anywho.

Point number one: we have known eachother TOO LONG. Our brains have melded. I'm saying this because I wrote a piece with a similar idea to this last summer. O.o I even had a character called Merewen (a girl, but still eerily similar) XD No elves, though, at least. Why does this keep happening? But on to the actual story.

I love the idea of a "marred" protagonist in an older-type setting--there was a story on here a while ago about a girl with Tourrette's in the middle ages and the idea sortof stuck with me--for example, did you know left-handedness was once interpreted as a "sure sign of the devil at work"? So I really like the hare-lip. It gives the MC, which otherwise I found a bit...lacking (I think because of the 1st person) another layer.

About the world itself: I'm torn here, because I already think the amount of info-drop is pushing it a bit, but at the same time I think the world could use a bit more thought.... For example, they seem confined by the forest. If this is the case, where do they get the metal for their forges? It doesn't necessarily need to be explained (and they could reuse old tools, to a point.) but it just bothered me for some reason.

Is this a post-apocalyptic world? Or a straight fantasy? I liked that mystery--in fact, maybe a bit more strangeness would be in order.

A few nitpicks/indepth thingies:

The forger's hammer beat the last tinges of orange from the iron.


Do not like this first line. It's too formulaic (the subject performed action, resulting in description) and is redundant because of the next bit anyway. I'd either delete it or revise it so it's a bit mor grabbing and unique.


Every building in Baegard had at least one charm, and some had so many that I was fairly sure most people considered them mere necessities.


On the one hand, I like how you're establishing how much of an outsider she is, but I'm pretty sure she'd know that. And why isn't she more bitter?

Elves had particular admiration for the number five. Numbers, people said, were the one area in which the human race could ever impress the elven. And impressing the elves was the only way we had come up with to thank them.



I smell info-drop. :P Save it for after some more action?

“Come in, then,” Merwel called, removing his gloves and wiping his brow with his blackened sleeve. From where I sat, I couldn't see the door of the forge, so I held my breath, waiting for its signature creak. It didn't come. “You're just going to sit there?” he asked, as he turned around to face me.

I gasped – I couldn't help it. How in the Rasweald had he spotted me? This had always been my favorite, most invisible nook in the whole city.

“You are stupid, aren't you?” The whites of his eyes glowed bright against his soot-blackened skin. The eyes themselves were dark green – just like his son's.



Ok, so I'm *pretty* sure I understand the action here, but it's still very confusing. For starters, we have no idea what her hiding place is like, so how are we to know even what position she's in? I'd mention the peep-hole early on, as it would definitely obstruct her view. Which reminds me, how can she see what he's working on unless she's actually inside the forge? You mentioned a door, which makes me think it's closed off, but then, how is she looking at it? I'm confuddled. :lol:

eyes themselves were dark green – just like his son's.


There's an over-abundance of green eyes in fiction. *cough* Miss anti-purple eyes *cough cough* Just thought I'd point that out. :D

The gift landed with a clang against the metal that I had kicked, where I picked it up without hesitation.


Metal's valuable--why is an unnamed piece of it lying around? I like the rest of this, except I really think he'd be a bit more...upset. He just seems gruff at the moment, and without a whole lot more explanation as to his character, it falls a bit flat. Why doesn't he hate her? Anyway.

I fished from my pocket a piece of strong, slender twine I had found a few weeks before and used it to tie the charm around my neck. The metal rested, cold and heavy, over my heart.



Second sentence--like. First, not so much. It's too convenient, like you decided to have a string in her pocket then needed to explain it.

The hill was too steep to farm, and nobody really went there. I could walk up the slope naturally rather than navigate by darting and hiding as I did in the city, ever afraid of someone noticing me.

“All because of your lip?” Golkyn had asked me once, as we sat in the forge one night after his father had left. Yes. All because of my lip. And the way people stared at it. And the things people blamed me for because of it.

“Isn't is curious,” they'd say, “that I see her run through the courtyard one day and sprain my ankle in the same place the next?” Or, “she stole a loaf of bread from the pub in the spring and in autumn the rats swarmed the kitchen like nothing I've ever seen!” They blamed me for my mother's illness and death, and swore that it was wise of my father, whoever he was, to never have made himself known to me. Someday, maybe, I would show them all that... that what? That I didn't bring a curse upon all who I met? Even I was starting to wonder....


Too steep for farming, and yet she's able to climb it? Weird, especially if space is a rare commodity, which I'd assume to be the case because of the way you mentioned the elves surrounding her. And this is kinda funny, but I got a really bad feeling about the "missing father" bit. I was all, "oh no! he's an elf or something!" but don't worry. I trust you. :lol:

The part about the curses--very good. I love it.

the Rasweald felt of elves. Of elves and of earth. And of the eternal bond between the two.


Love this too.

In ancient times, the elves joined the battle against the earth when all else seemed lost, neutralizing the humans' mindless flames and soothing the humiliated land. There was nothing for the foolish, careless humans to do but surrender to the fabulous power of nature's army. And as thanks for the elves' service, the earth had granted their lair its most spectacular beauty.



This, not so much. The sentiment is good (I'd love it if a mysterious force of elves showed up right now, actually) but it's wayyyy too preachy especially considering it's a human saying it.

In fact, I doubt there was ever any word to describe the emotion of the elves, because I doubt there was ever a human who understood it.

Soon, they were all around me, their smooth fingers caressing my hair, my hands, my face – my lips. I had heard of elves healing a wounded foal, or returning vision to a blind child. Could they – would they – possibly...?

I closed my eyes, allowing the thousands of cool, slender fingers to support me.



Don't like the "in fact". The rest=love. :D

And humans would once again rein over the earth.

Only this time, the elves would not let us destroy it.

With this thought, I had expected to hear a sweet chorus of encouragement, but the elves' song was gone. Their hands had abandoned my body, and their scent was no longer detectable. All I felt was five aches in the palm of my right hand, where the points of the charm had been digging into my skin. I opened my eyes.



Aha--this I like. Not sure, but the "was five aches" could be "were five aches". I love the reactions of the elves here, as well as the way she reacts to everything that happens, endearing her as a character and really developting her inner psyche.

I was on the edge of the Rasweald and before me was the hill that lead down to Baegard. The elven song had massaged my mind into a soft, relaxed state. Rather than disturb it by thinking, I allowed my feet to lead me down the slope and through the streets, not even realizing until I had been going for quite some time that I was not bothering to hide. I didn't want to think enough to remember why there was anything strange about that. Nor did I care to notice the reactions of those who I passed.

It wasn't long before I was at the forge door. It squealed loudly as I opened it, announcing my arrival better than a knock could have.

Merwel looked up from a mallet he was fixing and stared at me, his face characteristically unreadable. My mind was too calm, and my thoughts to distant, to form words. Instead, I followed my body as it walked over to the hooks on the east wall and picked up the white apprentice's sash that was still hanging there.

Looking straight at Merwel, I tied the sash around my waist.



And.... this is where it falls apart a bit, for me. It is much better than the original from what I can see in the comments, but try to stay away from the "I have an attitude adjustment so no one will stare at me anymore/I won't care."

Overall: Like carbon said, there are a lot of layers here that aren't immediately apparent--and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I *do* think the elves could be a bit more original but for the most part I love the way you created them.

As for the world, I'm not sure I like the idea of the elves going up to someone's door and just knocking on it (who's there? It's us, the elves, come to take you away/kill you. Oh, ok! Come in!). It just isn't very mysterious. I do like the idea of the inability to resist--the humans really are like pets which is a really cool idea... In my story, I made it so that children were lured away by a music only they could hear, which I'm still not sure I'll be keeping.

Anyway, this is getting way too long, so I'll just say good luck with the contest! You have an excellent chance (INPBO--in my probably biased opinion.)

Talk to you (hopefully) soon!

Lupis




User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 8890
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:09 pm
carbonCore wrote a review...



Apologies for getting back to this so late. I wanted to re-review the edited version, to see now if it made more sense to me. As with my previous review, I'm not going to go over all the technical stuff, since you've got that pretty much nailed (by the way, the word "Capitol" refers to a building in which the president does his thing. "Capital", as in "capital city" is the city in which the capitol building is located). Instead, I'm going to try and disassemble the story so we can really see where it headed and what it means.

So first I see that you've added a bit of text at the beginning. What does this text accomplish? It tells us that Merwel is good at making charms, that he's not quite as good at it as his son, and that elves were fascinated by the charms (--carefully implying their importance, good job). After that point, the story goes on as it had in the previous incarnation, so I'll leave that part be.

All the way from the start of the second part of the story to "One does not curse in Rasweald", you've got some elegant info-dumping going on. It's not at all intrusive and adds to the story. What do we learn? Once again, we are reminded of how important the elves are, and then about how unfortunate the MC is with her facial defect. Now, here I'm starting to suspect that this section was a bit too large for what you wanted to accomplish. You only really reveal one new thing and reinforce an old one. Both of these, I think, could be better expressed with one or two well-crafted sentences that really drive the point home instead of whole paragraphs. For instance:

"All because of your lip?" Golkyn asked me once. After I passed through a market street, the local shop owners would hire priests to bless and purify the place, I told him. Yes, all because of my lip.


In other words, quality over quantity (and I'm not saying that the above quote is the best you can aspire to, it's just a little example to illustrate my point): instead of listing a number of bad things associated with the MC, you could just slam one big one to perfectly show what you were trying to say. However, this is a pretty major stylistic point: if you want to go for all sorts of fancy world-building, the more information, the better, so feel free to keep going as you are now. If, however, the purpose of the story is to show us some profound point, I would go with the abridged-but-powerful way of thinking instead. To quote Larry Niven: "If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault." On to the next part...

Here we've got some very posh diction and descriptions going on. As I read that part, I could taste the crispness of air, I could hear the birds, etc. Does it serve a practical purpose? Well, it doesn't tell us much about the world, the plot, or the characters, so nope. Should you still leave it in? Absolutely. I love it for its description, and it helps set up the atmosphere tremendously.

Then we've got the elves going down and massing around the MC, we've got their fingers invading her personal space, and so on. Good part for building mystique. However, here I'm starting to get strange thoughts about how this will end: why did the elves mass around her, a complete nobody? Why did they not try to caress (or whatever it is they do) the charm that she wore? Aren't they fascinated by them? Why are there so many of them, what makes the MC so important to them? I'm getting this tiny little suspicion that maybe the elves are all in her mind.

Most of what follows is the hero's stream-of-consciousness, we see her going over decisions and the elves' reactions to them. Now that we've established that there may be a second side to this story, let's take a look at their reactions from both sides. If the elves are real, their encouragement for the part with "there can only be the elves" could be evidence of some hive mind sort of matter, or, otherwise, an extreme form of socialism. If they are in her mind, then the part with "the elves" almost seems to confirm their mystery. An elf is a tangible concept, something you can see, hear, touch. "The elves" are a much more abstract set of ideas, perhaps something that exists only as these ideas and not actual beings - this is further reinforced by the way you never actually show their sapience, you never quote an elf. You just show them dancing and taking people (!). Perhaps this is why the new edit lacks all sorts of telepathic dialogue from the elves? Interesting, let's keep going.

Their next reaction (or what I thought to be a reaction) comes when the MC thinks about joining the elves and winning their love. If the elves are real, well, not much to say here - she joins a Utopian society and never worries about a single thing. If they are not, well... here she almost seems ready for death! We are constantly reminded of how superior the elves are to humans, so I'm getting the idea that they are angels, and their "lair" is some sort of heaven. Joining the elves and feeling nothing but pleasure and love, that sounds pretty heavenly. The hero is starting to get second thoughts about the whole idea of helping humans. "Screw them," she thinks, "they made fun of my scar! I'll just go and join the elves where everything is beautiful and nothing hurts." The elves encourage this! I'm getting an image of a light at the end of a dark tunnel.

Then she starts thinking about humanity's rein over Earth. Uh-oh, the elves don't like that. What happened? Well, let's take a look, as we have, from both sides. If the elves are real, then this basically confirms that they treat humans like little pets, playthings for when they're bored of singing and dancing. When I first read this story (pre-edit), I got the impression that the elves were spirits with very little intelligence, just a sort of an automated instinct and a strange attraction to the five-ended charms. Because the humans hang charms all over the place, the spirits protect them. Now I get the feeling that they really are an actual intelligent race, they just like screwing around with people for the hell of it. Of course, I wouldn't want my cat taking over my house, so their reaction (rather, lack thereof) is perfectly understandable.

If they weren't real, then this part is where hope finally starts shining through. The MC rejects death, she wants to do something to progress her people. She says, "No! I will not die, there is too much left for me to do." With those thoughts, she gets up and goes to the smith to begin her journey of bettering all mankind.

Which side of the story is real? Who knows? This is what makes this story so great. Sure, the hints are all there somewhere, you just have to take time to find them. Gee... now I feel embarrassed about my own story. I've got no chance at this contest. :D




User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm
Sins wrote a review...



Heya Azila! :)

I'm here to review this as requested. It's kind of creepy though because I was actually planning on reviewing this anyway... I read it yesterday, I think. Anyway, enough of my blabbering!

The forger's hammer beat the last tinges of orange from the iron.

I rather like this opening. It's different, but yeah, I like it.

It was already turning out quite elegantly, really, but I could tell that it would lack some #FF0000 ">(of?) his son's finesse.


He grunted and crossed his arms over his burly chest. Despite the long hours he could spend carefully shaping one piece of metal, outside of his work he was not known to be a patient man. I didn't particularly want to know what he wished to do to me, but I also didn't want to think about what would happen if I kept him waiting. I stood up and slid out from my nook. His expression had been unreadable – was he angry? Was this, perhaps, the reason Golkyn had not arrived yet? Probably, like everyone else, he thought I would bring him and his son bad luck.

#FF0000 ">--- New paragraph here, maybe? ---


I made my way over the piles of stone rubble and metal scraps to the forge door, finding it at least half a meter ajar. Bright orange warmth escaped through the gap, dissipating in the chilly outside air. I slipped tentatively through and found Merwel still standing, arms crossed, looking at the back wall. So he hadn't seen me after all – I had thought not; the peek-hole was far too small to be seen from the inside. How, then, had he known it was there? How had he known I was there?

I'm weird, and I like small paragraphs... This isn't 100% necessary, but you could split this paragraph in half. I also think that the last sentence of the first part would be a good place to end that part... Pretend that made sense. Do you see what I mean though?

I was going to exit quickly before he'd seen me, but as I backed out#FF0000 ">, my foot hit a piece of scrap-metal and a dull gong echoed through the little forge-room.


“Augh!” Merwel half snorted#FF0000 ">, half gagged the sound and tossed the contents of his hand in my direction before turning back to his work.

I'm not sure if it's a comma you need here... I'm bad at punctuation. I'm pretty sure that you need something there though.

Someday, #FF0000 ">I maybe, I would show them all that – that what?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but this worded a little awkwardly to me. I'd maybe think about rephrasing it.

The water was too cold to touch for more than a moment, and farther into the Rasweald#FF0000 ">, it quickly became deep enough to drown in, but it was possible to walk through the forest by way of sections of mossy earth that rose out of the water and wound, path-like, through the trees.

This sentence dragged on a bit, I found. It's three lines, but only one sentence. I'm touchy when it comes to long sentences, and this caught my attention. Try shortening it, or turning it into more than one, maybe?

In fact, I doubt there #FF0000 ">was any word to describe the emotion of the elves, because I doubt there was ever a human who understood it.



Overall


I thought that this was very well written actually, Azila. What I love the most about this is its originality. If there's one thing that bothers me in novels, stories, poems, or any other kind of creative writing it's clichés. I'm more than glad to see that you've thought of an original idea and stuck to it. As for your grammar, it was great. There some small things I brought up, but if I'm honest, none of them are entirely necessary. The same goes for your spelling; it was perfect, and your vocabulary showed that you certainly knew your stuff. ;)

Okay, my main issue with this right now is a rather odd one. Let me explain... There are some details of the plot overall which I'm slightly confused about, but then another issue I had was the fact that some parts were a little too detailed. I'll start with the first point I made, which is that some details seemed unclear to me. I think I know what happened at the end, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm guessing that the elves didn't fix her lip, but she gained the confidence kind of thing. I can't be sure though. Another example of this is why your MC actually went to Rasweald in the first place. Did she go there to find the person they'd taken? I got the impression that they feared going there, but then it seemed to change... Are you seeing where some of my confusion is coming from?

As for that second point I made, I think that you have a tendency to include too many details in some parts. I know that this seems weird because of my first critique, but I'll try and explain it. I think what it actually was that, at times, it felt like you were over-describing. This is more of a personal opinion thing though because I'm not awfully keen on very descriptive stories myself. The problem was that because of the large descriptions, the story felt a little wordy sometimes. With those descriptions comes a lot f details. Let me find an example... Okay!

Take the time when the elves are touching and surrounding your MC. There's about three long paragraphs and a couple of small ones, I think, describing what would happen if your MC's lip was fixed. That's a lot of details. After one paragraph, I understood what your MC was thinking. The two worlds would be united as one and everything would be hunky dory. I grasped that after one paragraph, so the next few felt rather unnecessary to me. What I'd advise for you to do is to take the best lines and descriptions from the paragraphs that describe that moment, and merge them into one, maybe two, paragraphs. Try to only use lines that progress the plot or add to it.

Negatives aside, I did honestly really like this. In fact, your writing reminds me a lot of TIGERSPRITE'S writing, and considering she's the host of the contest, that's most likely a good thing. Although some parts felt a little wordy, the overall flow of this was smooth and nice to follow. There was the minor issue that you left us with some unanswered questions, which is most likely why AuroraOrodel thought that this seemed like a novel. For example, we never actually found out what happened to that guy who was taken by the elves. We didn't know why they took him. That doesn't bother me all that much though, to be honest. I can live with it!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 8890
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:17 pm
carbonCore wrote a review...



Great short story! You particularly excelled at creating your characters. I'm not positive whether the MC (I'll just call her that, since we don't find out her name) is bitter enough about the whole deformed lip bit or not. On the other hand, she was born with it, so it's not surprising that she would have gotten used to it by now. Still, not sure what it is, but something seems to be missing from the MC's characterization. Could just be me...

Props to you for not making a generic all-perfect beautiful MC. It's not often that I read about a female MC that is deformed in any way (especially when it's her face that's deformed), despite that it's a good way to build plot.

As for the plot, I'm going to have to painfully admit that I don't exactly understand it. Everything looks interconnected, don't get me wrong - there are no extra parts you could cut out without hurting the plot (this is a very good thing), and it doesn't feel like you could really add something, either. It's just that at the end of the story, I'm not 100% sure what the moral is. You spend a long time setting everything up, like mentioning some beast outside of the forest, and pouring plenty of characterization into elves. At the end of the day though, what happens? MC's desires are true (she wants to improve everybody's life, despite everybody being cruel to her), but the elves are not interested in granting these desires for her (or aren't they?). Then she goes back to the forger and decides to become his apprentice. So what exactly was her epiphany? Is she still going to go about creating a charm with points that are 1 km long just so that she can try to appease the elves to make everybody's life better? Or did she go to him out of desperation that she doesn't have anything else left for her to do? Or does the story have a moral at all? It feels like it does, and that the moral is just out of my reach.

I disagree with Aurora in that this could work better as a novel. I think that right now it's a beautifully self-sufficient piece, and the moral ambiguity actually serves it well, as I try to come up with all sorts of different hypotheses: what is the beast outside, what happened to the world? What are the elves? Why are they fascinated by charms and numbers even though they seem to lead an almost primeval, savage life? What does the whole thing mean? You can't do that with a novel (well, you CAN, but you shouldn't - an entire novel full of ambiguity will feel like it's dragging on. Your story absolutely doesn't drag).

All in all, excellent job. I'm going to have a hard time beating this for the contest. Keep writing, and good luck!




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:44 am
AuroraOrodel wrote a review...



I like this. I really like this. A lot. The world is crystal clear to me and very intriguing. Your characters are equally intriguing. I would like to know the lead character's name, but even without that I know a good deal about her. I gather she's in her teens, she has a hare lip which makes her the subject of mockery and suspicion, she's an orphan, she's self-sufficient, she's smart, and she's a bit of a dreamer.

I'm fascinated by your world. I really want to know more about it. I know something happened long ago (some kind of ecological disaster) that made most of the planet inhabitable, and the elves are protecting humanity from its effects. That is so interesting! I also like that you don't tell us more about the elves than the character knows. They do have a very unsettling vibe, and I was wondering from the beginning if their intentions were strictly the best. The only point I wasn't clear on was what the rules are concerning the Rasweald. It seems humans are allowed to wander into it, but you have to be "taken" to stay there? This point could be cleared up some.

As to your concerns about it dragging, I don't think it drags in the slightest! It's beautifully detailed and well-paced. It doesn't rush to it's ending, and I like that. The end reminded me of the musical Violet, which also featured a girl with a facial deformity gaining confidence despite not being healed. But my final verdict is why does this have to be a short story? I'm intrigued enough by this world and this set-up and these characters that I would gladly read a novel-length story. You should strongly consider doing that.





“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women