z

Young Writers Society



Twelve months of February

by Mankind


Hello, my first story on here, so here goes. I know it's odd but i will post more if i get at least 1 promosing comment. Thank you:

Descending into darkness.

“Mum! Help me! Where are you? ” With arms and legs flailing, she tumbled helplessly into the pits of hell.

Fire burned her soul and droplets of blood stained her white nightgown. Metres away, the corpse of a woman lay , her beautiful face under a veil of blood. . A faceless attacker stood above, laughing demonically. The noise pierced her ears.

“Mum! Help me mum!”

Weeping uncontrollably as her mother slipped away, into clouds of pure white.

“Don’t leave me mum, I love you!”

The black around closed in, wrapping around her fragile body - squeezing, choking, gagging. Struggling to breathe, she yelped, and then slipped, spiralling into the mouth of hell.

With sweat streaming down her forehead, February shot from the bed. As the world spun like a wheel of colours, she staggered blindly around the room for her glasses. They soon fell cosily down her nose, and the distorted world came back into focus. Her eyes shot around the room.

As drab and mundane as ever. Normality.

Simply a nightmare. Yet another nightmare,

Sinking back onto the bed, her quaking hands clutched the blue monkey doll and squeezed.

“We’re alright,” The plush toy reassured “It’s all ok.”

He raised his arms and tapped her shoulder.

“Any tea on?”

Shaking her head, February rose , and stumbled over to the cracked mirror. She stared deeply into it, almost as if she were staring past the flesh and bone. Deep, deep into her soul.

This was not a welcoming area, and she hastily stepped back, choosing instead to look at the outer shell.

Ashen cheeks, pools of darkness, ebony hair falling helplessly over her eyes. A lifeless corpse glared back.

“You look like hell.” She uttered, “Like hell.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself” The monkey stood by the bathroom door “You’ve just been through bad times. Now, wait…I think I can hear Mara calling you. Time to go for breakfast!”

February looked up with a smile.

“Today is the day I leave January Bay.”

You are now leaving January Bay. Drive safely!

Mara smiled at the sign-a good sign, a sign that the trouble was over.

She glanced slyly over at February, who lay huddled in corner over the car, her eyes on alert. The creepy blue monkey was there, and she grasped it even tighter, until the stuffing began to seep through.

“How are you….how are you feeling?” Mara attempted a smile, and looked hopefully at February.

“Like my life is being sold away, piece by piece. Like my life is being torn mercilessly apart, by some plastic faced social workers who think they can help me. You know, one of those days.”

And with a sardonic smile that made Mara shudder, February turned around.

Mara shrugged, her eyes still fixed on that disturbing monkey.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:57 pm
Mankind says...



Thank you. I was thinking about using it as a story for English so i think i shall rewrite the first part and add more.




User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 94

Donate
Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:45 pm
Jojo wrote a review...



It always best to describe all the characters who play even the slightest role in a story. A vivid description of Mara would make the reader imagine better how she was talking and making those attempts at smiling. Overall, a good piece of work, with ample scope of further work put in. It is odd, and odd can be really good at times.
And... do post further stories, even if you do not get another promising critique.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:42 pm
Mankind says...



Thanks. I didn't describe Mara because she's not relevant to the main story, but perhaps i should anyway.




User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 267

Donate
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:20 pm
Boni_Bee wrote a review...



Mankind wrote:Descending into darkness.
“Mum! Help me! Where are you? ” With arms and legs flailing, she tumbled helplessly into the pits of hell.
Fire burned her soul and droplets of stained her white nightgown. Metres away, the corpse of a woman lay , her beautiful face under a veil of . . A faceless attacker stood above, laughing ically. The noise pierced her ears.
“Mum! Help me mum!”
Weeping uncontrollably as her mother slipped away, into clouds of pure white.
“Don’t leave me mum, I love you!”
The black around closed in, wrapping around her fragile body - squeezing, choking, gagging. Struggling to breathe, she yelped, and then slipped, spiralling into the mouth of hell.


There should be a more definite line between this and the next section. I'd say put this in italics, since it is a dream. You already said she fell into hell, and then at the end, it repeats itself...


With sweat streaming down her forehead, February shot from the bed. As the world spun like a wheel of colours, she staggered blindly around the room for her glasses. They soon fell cosily down her nose, and the distorted world came back into focus. Her eyes shot around the room.


'February lept from the bed' gives a better picture. 'finding them on her head, they soon fell cosily down her nose' also sounds better

This is a really interesting (and slightly freaky) story, and I'd like to see more. It needs a bit more work on description (of the surroundings) and of the characters, (ie. describe Mara more...)

But good job! :D





I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro