Lost in the digital age

by anasahmad4565

In fields of green we used to play, Where laughter echoed every day. The sunlit skies, the open air, Our childhood dreams were everywhere.

Now screens have come, and minds confine, The digital glow, a constant line. The magic lost, the moments fade, In the electronic web we've made.

Remember when the world was bright, With endless wonders in our sight. Those golden days of pure delight, Before the screens consumed the night.

Stickied -- Sun May 26, 2024 11:23 pm
Atticus wrote a review...

Hi there anasahmad! I'm Atticus, a legend on the site ;) It's been a while since I've reviewed poetry but I'm excited to sink my teeth into it!

and minds confine

This line didn't make a lot of sense to me, particularly because the full thought seems to be "minds confine the digital glow". To me that sounds like you're saying that minds are limiting the digital glow or boxing it up somehow, and that imagery doesn't track for me. Maybe something like "and minds are confined" is more in line with what you're expressing, as that seems to match the flow of the poem thematically?

Stylistically speaking, I appreciated the rhyme scheme, as it gave the poem a light, lilting feeling. However, I think it would have flowed better visually if it was broken up like this:
In fields of green we used to play
Where laughter echoed every day
The sunlit skies, the open air
Our childhood dreams were everywhere

This flow is both more conventional and reads at a better pace, in my opinion.

In a sense this poem felt too short for me. There isn't a complete development of the ideas that are hinted at in the stanzas you have here. That's not because the stanzas themselves are incomplete, but rather that they need more content to flesh out the big idea you've started to explore. Honestly I think that to fully wrap everything up, this poem should be double or triple the size, with multiple stanzas devoted to both the reminiscing on how life before technology was so joyous and several stanzas describing how technology has changed this.

I also found myself expecting a stanza that was "mourning" these effects, as that's the implication but never stated outright. The tone is very much reminiscing fondly on these days before technology, but nothing is directly stating that these days were "better", or that the pre-technology state was preferable, which to me causes the poem to feel a bit incomplete.

Overall, this is a great start and an interesting theme to explore, and I think what you have so far is splendid! I hope my thoughts were not too disjointed to follow (I am by no means a poet and always feel a little out of my depth giving thoughts on poems). If not, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to clear things up.

Best,
Atticus

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed feedback! I really appreciate the time you took to read and respond to my poem. I agree with your points about expanding the ideas and giving more depth to the reminiscing about life before technology and its impacts. Your suggestion to include a stanza that directly mourns the effects of technology is particularly insightful and something I hadn't considered but now see the value in.Regarding the flow and any imperfections, you're right%u2014it was written quite hesitantly, and as a short form poem, it may not fully capture the breadth of what I wanted to convey. Your comments have given me a lot to think about and work on, and I'm excited to revisit and expand upon the poem.Thank you again for your encouragement and constructive criticism. It%u2019s exactly what I need to improve and grow as a writer. If you have any more suggestions or if something wasn%u2019t clear, feel free to let me know!

Sorry brother, actually my phone have got some error from a long time so in my response there might be some typical mistakes like you really sorry for that, so I've realised to start it again.

Sorry for the 2014,&2019 typing error it's second I didn't realise and just wrote them it's mean of 100%

Atticus says...

Absolutely! Glad it was helpful to you :)

Mon May 27, 2024 4:39 am
Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello I hope you dont mind me popping in with a quick review. Overall I really liked the themes of this piece but as others have said I do wish you delved into a bit more in-depth. As there's a lot that can be said aboubt this generation and tech, so I feel it's worth exploring.

As for feedback, I feel the biggest issue is that two lines might work better separately.

Now screens have come, and minds confine, The digital glow, a constant line. The magic lost, the moments fade,"

I would change that to something like this.

"Now screens have come, and minds confined,

The digital glow, a constant line. The magic lost, the moments fade,"

Keep in mind that is just my thoughts on it.

As always keep writing and drink water!

Dear [Moonlily],Thank you for your insightful feedback. I appreciate your positive remarks on the themes explored in my piece and your encouragement to delve deeper into the interplay between contemporary technology and our generation. Your suggestion to separate the lines for better clarity is noted:"Now screens have come, and minds confined,
The digital glow, a constant line.
The magic lost, the moments fade,"I find your perspective valuable and will consider it in my revisions.Kind regards,
[Anas Ahmad ]P.S. I'll be sure to stay hydrated!

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara