Running Away

by khushi17bansal

I’m running. I’m running away.

I'm running, I'm running away and it’s not working. 

I need help. 

I’m running. I'm running away.

I’m running and I don’t know how to stop. 

How do you stop running away? How do you do it alone? 

I’m running, I’m running away. I’m running. 

Where to run now? 

I’m running, I’m running away. 

There is nowhere left to run, 

I’m running, I’m running away. 

I’m at the edge of a cliff. 

I’m running, I’m running away.  

I’m falling, I’m falling down. Falling. 

I was running, running away, I was running. 

There were once stars in the sky, to inspire when life was hard. There are no stars now. 

I’m running, I’m running away. 

I’m falling, I’m falling down. 

I was running, I was running away. 

I was alone, I fell, I fell alone. 

Down, I fell down, down the cliff. 

I was running, I was running away.

I was running, what if there was someone at the end of the cliff?

I was running, I was running away.

I was afraid, I was lost. 

Lost. 

I'm running, running away.

I don't want to fall. 

I'm running.

I'm afraid.

I'm running.

I'm lost. 

I'm running. 

Somebody help.

I'm running, I'm running away, 

I'm falling, I'm falling down. 

L0ca1Tes1a wrote a review...

Hello! I was looking for some poetry to read and I found this. It's really good I love the repetition, it really adds to the affect. I also love how at the beginning it starts with "I'm running, I'm running away." and then it ends with "I'm falling, I'm falling down." I'm not sure if I'm just reading to much into it but I feel like it really conveys when you first start struggling with something and your trying to avoid it, then in the middle-ish part of the poem you realize you need help and you don't really know how to do it alone. then at the end you realize it is to late and you're already falling deeper into the struggle. Overall I think this is really well written I will definitely read more of your work.

L0ca1Tes1a says...

I'm so sorry for writing to I forgot to hit it is a review and I don't know how to delete the first one.

Thank you for the review! And don't worry about it, we're all new to the site and I know how confusing it can be %uD83D%uDE04.

L0ca1Tes1a says...

EllieMae wrote a review...

Hey friend, Ellie here to leave you a quick review for your lovely poem :D

To begin, I really loved the repetition that you used throughout this piece. What really stood out to me was the contrast between the first line and the last line of this poem.

It begins with:

I’m running. I’m running away.

and ends with:

I'm falling, I'm falling down.

To me, this really conveys the message of trying to make things better by avoiding or pushing them away. This is something that is really relatable to me and lots of others too. We pus away and try to hide. But this ends with burn out, exhaustion, that makes us fall. The words being in italics makes me think that maybe we are describing a scene. Maybe this person is running and we are hearing their thoughts as they run away.

They know that they need help. They know that they cannot run forever. It seems that they eventually fall down a cliff. I love the combination of literal aspects like running and falling, combined with a metaphor. Falling down a cliff is a common metaphor used to show a dramatic painful moment or emotional climax of a situation. This person finally falls, fully aware that they are falling.

I loved the last part of this poem:

I'm running, running away.

I don't want to fall.

I'm running.

I'm afraid.

I'm running.

I'm lost.

I'm running.

Somebody help.

I'm running, I'm running away,

I'm falling, I'm falling down.

You summarize everything so well. I really loved the simplicity but deep message that this contains. Thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful day!

Your friend,
Ellie :D

Thank you for the review!!

NoOneInParticular wrote a review...

I happened to stumble upon this and, wow, I can barely describe the emotions I felt while reading this. It could just be me, but I felt this rising sense of unease as I read. The use of harsh sounds, like “ruNNing”, or “how To stoP”, only added to the effect. The repetition of “I’m/I was running” really helped to hammer home the idea of running away from your problems, which I choose to interpret as a form of escapism or procrastination (and that’s super relatable, because I struggle with it too). And the building up tension towards the end? Frankly, I still feel tense even now.

I have a question, though. Why the rapid change in tenses from present to past and back again somewhere around the middle of the poem? Maybe it’s for contrast, the emphasise how “this is happening here and now” but to me, it’s a bit confusing. The segment “how do you do it alone.” is a bit jarring with the use of the full stop. Maybe it’s just me being picky, but well.

So here is my input! Sorry if it’s a bit lacking, as I know next to nothing about writing or poetry! Your work was splendid, and made me feel intense feelings, which is a good thing? Hopefully my review will encourage someone else to post a more detailed review, though! Cheers to you and keep writing!

Hey there! Thanks for the review! I get what you said about the 'how do you do it alone' part being jarring, it was supposed to be question mark but apparently I missed it. I'm definitely going to fix that.

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus