Simple conversations in spanish

by NumberG

Guide: Learn basic questions in spanish

Hello everyone, this is not a story but a guide on how to ask and answer a couple basic questions in spanish.

English: "Hello, my name is  ______"

Spanish: "Hola, me llamo es ______"

Responses: Your name. Saying, "Y tu?" after you are asked a question means simply, "and you?"

English: "What's your name?"

Spanish: "¿Cómo te llamas?"

They should then respond with their name.

English: "How are you doing?"

Spanish: "¿Cómo estás?"

Responses: Good (Bueno) Bad (Mal) Enojado (Angry) Cansado (Tired)

If you are a girl, replace the "o" at the end of these words with an "a"

Tip: You can also add "Muy" before any word to show that you are are feeling that emotion strongly. 

Ex: Muy bien = very good

English: "¿Where are you from?"

Spanish: "¿De dónde eres?"

They should respond with, "Soy de ____" The blank means where they live. If you are asked this, respond that is how you respond.

What about asking where something is?

English: "Where is the ____"

Spanish: "Dónde está el _____"

You can ask where the bathroom (baño) is, the water (agua) or whatever else you are looking for.

When you are ending a conversation, you can end in a couple of ways.

It's nice to meet you! = ¡Está bien de encontrarte!

"Hasta ____" = "see you ____"

You can say "mañana" (tomorrow), "luego" (later), or "pronto" (soon)

When you part, say "Adios!"

Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello, I hope you dont mind me popping in with a quick review. I honestly don't know how to go about this as I don't speak Spanish nor can give you any concrete feedback in that regard. However, I will say that this seems handy and a resource for others who want to both learn Spanish and use it in their work.

However, I feel that maybe having some guides on how to pronounce some of the words would be helpful. I am not a Spanish speaker so I could be totally wrong. It might not be a bad idea since it is geared towards beginners.

As always Keep writing, drink water and Adios!

Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:26 pm
JazzElectrobass says...

Howdy!
I am currently learning spanish so this is very helpful :D

Mon May 27, 2024 5:52 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Hi NumberG, and welcome to YWS! :D First off, YWS is typically a good place to post stories, scripts, essays, and poetry. That's what our members are used to reviewing. But I can still try to review this guide, as I'm taking Spanish at school! (I'm currently in AP Spanish.)

First off, I like the way this is organized! It's helpful to learn basic phrases for introducing yourself, and it's also nice how you have both the English and Spanish version for each phrase.

Now for some specifics...

English: "Hello, my name is ______"

Spanish: "Hola, me llamo es ______"

So first off, "me llamo" actually translates to "I call myself," so "me llamo es" would directly translate to "I call myself is." Instead, to introduce yourself in Spanish, you can either use "Hola, me llamo ___" ("Hello, I call myself ___") or "Hola, mi nombre es ___" ("Hello, my name is ___").

English: "How are you doing?"

Spanish: "¿Cómo estás?"

Good job teaching readers about the o/a switch based on gender!
Just a note that it should be "Bien" instead of "Bueno" for "Good". You seemed to get that later with, "Ex: Muy bien = very good".

English: "Where is the ____"

Spanish: "Dónde está el _____"

Here, it might be good to mention gender again and note that it can be "el" or "la" depending on the gender of the following noun.

When you part, say "Adios!"

That's a good ending to the lesson!

Overall, this guide seems like a handy way to help learners introduce themselves in Spanish. You just might want to check the accuracy of some phrases. Hope you have a wonderful day/night! =D

He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)