z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

From, someone in denial

by EllieMae



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 41
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:25 pm
View Likes
JSadler wrote a review...



I'm always so impressed by people, who do blackout (or whiteout in this case) poems, and this is definitely one of the best I've seen. I LOVE the use of the pens on top, crossing and scribbling stuff out and then circling and underlining other bits. I especially love the extra little comments in red, they feel really effective as a more coherent form of thought in contrast with the (in my view) somewhat deteriorating mind of the letter writer in denial. There are some parts where it feels quite difficult to decipher what is being said, but I think this actually works as a benefit and in most cases the message behind the words is very clear.
I am very intrigued by the use of the colours - clearly the red writing is the reader's thoughts, so are the crossings out and things in black from the writers view/in the process of writing? I also wonder if there is any kind of key/pattern behind the different types of crossing things out. This poem raises a lot of questions for me, but is incredibly impressive and emotional. Congrats on such a beautiful poem.
Thank you for sharing your work <3




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



They can't fix it by writing a letter that says "no we didn't hurt you we just loved you what are you talking about".

I am especially intrigued by the moments it breaks down into random letters, but it makes sense to me in this way: at some point it is not really words, just sounds without meaning and there is no reason to try to understand.

I would suggest maybe using color in a slightly more intentional way, perhaps? It seems to go back and forth between the writer and the reader's point of view and I enjoy that, but perhaps organizing by color can help me avoid feeling suddenly thrown into a new point of view without warning. Maybe that would be too easy reading, but you could try out various versions and see how you like it.

Anyway, good luck! And you deserve better!




User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 10015
Reviews: 210

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:28 am
View Likes
EllieMae says...



@Spearmint you inspired me to make this! :D




Spearmint says...


Ooooh I am honored to have inspired something so beautiful!! I love your additions of the scribbles and edits in red/black ink :D




You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman