z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Misunderstood?

by dm74


My name is Arabella Frost. No, I am not evil, but still they call me a villain.

I stand by myself on a dark and gloomy pathway. I desire to walk into town, but my reputation precedes me. 

Despite my continuous efforts to be seen as anything but a villain, I can't escape the looks and the whispers from the unforgiving townsfolk.

I am NOT my mother. 

I wish others could see that too.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 969
Reviews: 17

Donate
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:35 pm
View Likes
angelinamar wrote a review...



I can literally relate to everything in this story. "No,I am not evil, but they still call me a villain" relates to me because a lot of family members see me as my past self still. Even though I have grown and changed in many ways, I am still perceived as a bad person. The "continuous efforts to see as anything but a villain" part hits close to home with me because I try to show everyone how I am not my past self. "I am NOT my mother" - LITERALLY EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY SAYS I'M JUST LIKE MY MOTHER. I hate it so so much. But I do too with others could see that too.


I think it's the fact that we make mistakes and we eventually learn from them but people still see us as the mistake we made and that's what messes everything up for us.

Thank you for this read- I'm glad I was able to relate to this :)




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 2601
Reviews: 35

Donate
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:19 pm
Moonlily wrote a review...



Hello Hello I hope you dont mind coming with a little review. I like this piece a lot however I don't know how to dig into this as it is short and that's the point. So forgive me if this is a little underwhelming when it comes to feedback. it does give a strong voice and hook to give the reader an idea of the conflict with the main character but due to the length, it does come off as telling rather than showing. If you were to flesh this out I would love to see the village in action are the people huddled together and whispering or are they bold enough to say it to their face, perhaps throwing things and stuff like that? this is only if you want to flesh it regardless I do agree with the other reviews.

overall it's a very interesting bit of microfiction keep it and drink water!




dm74 says...


Hi! Thank you for the feedback. There%u2019s a continuation! I might add more too!



User avatar
4103 Reviews


Points: 254288
Reviews: 4103

Donate
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:29 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well its been some time since I've interpreted something quite this short, but here we go. This is honestly a little on the longer side for something in the micro category which isn't a bad thing, it just now gives us just a bit more to go off of when trying to interpret what's happening here.

Anyway let's get right to it,

My name is Arabella Frost. No, I am not evil, but still they call me a villain.

I stand by myself on a dark and gloomy pathway. I desire to walk into town, but my reputation precedes me.

Despite my continuous efforts to be seen as anything but a villain, I can't escape the looks and the whispers from the unforgiving townsfolk.

I am NOT my mother.

I wish others could see that too.


And diving right in here. Immediately there's a very strong grounding point to this one, because of this one character that has become the root of the whole situation. I think we learn quite a surprising amount about this person through just these few lines and that's really quite well done, just about both their struggle to build their own unique reputation in this world and also just how others must treat them. And we perhaps also get a strong hint about their relationship and opinion of their mother too. Its quite nicely packed in there.

The backstory that you've then also squeezed in with the idea of the villains and the heroes and the way that you've connected it to how this person has to fight to go free of this stigma created by her mother is really nicely done. It really ends up giving you quite a few tools and at the end I think we have two major interpretations which is that this is someone trying their hardest to prove herself after her mother did something quite villainous to this town or this is a child trying to further her mother's agenda by tricking everyone into loving her.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall its a nice little tale. I think it tells you a surprising amount, and as far as micro fiction goes that's exactly what you want. Its nice and open ended with lots of good hints there for us to think about. I think its quite nicely done.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Kate





I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley