The Fate of the Stars

by alwayssarah

People are like stars. They’re numerous. There are famous ones like the North Star and then there are the rest that fill in the vast spaces in between. Some are known by many people and stand out from the rest, but others go unnoticed or are only recognized by the singular astronomer who discovered them. They even have limited life spans and die over time.

I feel like a star. But not bright and beautiful adorning the night sky. I feel like a dying star. One that had potential and began its life so bright, but lost its power over time. I feel like a star about to implode on itself, creating a black hole. And my destruction will suck in and destroy everything around me too.

I feel immovable like a star, just floating up there in space, among millions of others. I want to do something, but I’m just a star. For humans, it means the world to be a star, but for a star, you’re just like every other star. Some are bigger, some smaller. Some are hotter and some are colder. It’s hard to tell the difference from one star to the next down on Earth though. They all begin to look the same.

If only I were anything else…or could become what else I want to be.

But I don’t know what that something else is.

So I’m stuck, in space, surrounded but alone, with no other prospects but my eventual death.

Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:14 am
Tambo says...

Hey there! Just saying hi and that I’m here to review this masterpiece. :D

First off I would like to say that is quite an amazing work.
*claps*
It was such an interesting and unique metaphor to describe humanity. I thought it was very relatable. I like stories where the title makes you assume roughly what it’s going to be like, when you then read it it’s completely different from what you were expecting. I wish you a great day.
Cya!

Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:14 am
Tambo wrote a review...

*claps*
Cya!

Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 pm

Well this is quite the start here. Given the title you don't expect things to necessarily take the kind of turn this one does, but we end up with a little comparison to how people tend to be. I do love the second little twist as well. At first it seems like a little description of how much of an impact some people tend to leave but we then go onto a much more personal sounding note and I think that's quite powerfully done just linking it to how down this person happens to be in life at the moment.

Ooooh this is quite the ending. I love that we have ourselves something a little open. The first section leads you to believe there's a hidden meaning but the second section makes you think that maybe its quite literally a star too. I think that creates a very interesting little duality there. Just bringing to life just a bit more.

All in all I think it makes for a very solid work here, a simple little goal, but wrapped up in quite a few little complexities and it just leaves you with a little bit to think about, which is quite nice.

Kate

dm74 wrote a review...

This is deep. I like the simile of people being like stars. You're absolutely right.

My favorite lines: "If only I were anything else... or could become what else I want to be. But I don't know what that something else is"

My favorite line: "But I don't know what that something else is."

I think these lines appeal to me the most because it makes the reader think about their own life. For example, I am a teacher. I always knew I was going to be a teacher. And sometimes I feel like I should've done something else. But, like you, I don't know what that something else would be. It's very relatable.

Things to work on: I want to read more. It doesn't feel unfinished per se, but I think there is room to expand on this idea.

Over all it is very well written and leaves the reader contemplating their own lives. Great work!

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly