z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My First Poem Ever

by dm74


Hi everyone! I wrote this poem when I was ten and figured I would post it here! I would love your feedback. 

I stand upon the moonlight,

the wolves chasing me around. 

Whenever I hear a wolf's howl,

I always turn around. 

The birds fly before me. 

How I wish to be like them. 

If only I was a bird, 

I would fly above the wind. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 10015
Reviews: 210

Donate
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:53 am
EllieMae wrote a review...



Time for a Black Cat Review!!



MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

This is a very lovely, sweet poem. You mention that you wrote it when you were ten- WOW! That is incredible. My interpretation of this poem is that the wolves represent something in your life that hurts you or brings you fear. perhaps a person who has caused you harm. They chase you around, or hassle you. When you hear them, you want to ignore or avoid them.

You see birds, that are free to fly in the sky, as with to be like they are. If you were a bird, you would escape the circumstances you are living in.

I really love this poem. It was simple, but very meaningful for me. I felt like I could relate strongly to the words. I am impressed by the rhyming skills you had as a ten year old! Like Ari mentioned, the rhyme of them and wind flows nicely. :)

Awesome work!

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

the wolves chasing me around.

Whenever I hear a wolf's howl,

I always turn around.


you rhyme the word around with, well, around. I love the symbolism of these words but maybe using different ones would be less repetitive, unless you were trying to make a point with that.

You also use the word bird twice in these lines:

The birds fly before me.

How I wish to be like them.

If only I was a bird,


I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but maybe you could change the language slightly. For the line, "if only I was a bird', perhaps you could say something like "if only I could soar in the sky" or "if only I could get away".

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

I am really impressed with how well you wrote when you were ten (and how well you write now, too!). I love how you wrote about standing upon the moonlight. This line really stood out to me. What does it mean to stand upon the moonlight? To me, this means standing in isolation. You are the one light surrounded by darkness. You still shine.

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

Thanks for sharing this! Hope to read more soon!

Your friend,
-Ellie Mae

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 2904
Reviews: 34

Donate
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:58 pm
View Likes
Coffeewriter wrote a review...



Woah! This is wonderful and simple and I saw the context for this piece and I can really relate! I’m a great student but quite problematic at home to be fair! If I said shut up to my mum though I wouldn’t be writing this, haha. I love the poem it’s really beautiful and wonderfully made and written but sweet and simple too! The bird is something everyone feels like and it’s portraying a different person or thing to everyone-something that sets a person free and something that makes their life worth living and not an endless cycle of just work/school and stress. It reminds me of the song Runaway by Aurora. Beautiful but sad. I’ve always wanted to be able to fly over the world, carefree and watching everything around me and feel the wind in my hair without a care in the world. It makes me smile and look stupid just thinking about it.


Thank you for reading, have a good day/night!



-Coffee:)




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 pm
View Likes
Ashitaka says...



Interesting your poem.It conveys the dsire of being really able to fly aywhere you'ld want to. Kudos:)




Random avatar

Points: 27
Reviews: 52

Donate
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 wrote a review...






dm74 says...


Thank you! So a little bit of a background: I was being punished when I wrote this. I told my mom to shut up so my parents sent me to my room. I think the wolves are a metaphor for my parents lol


Random avatar
Abcdefg1 says...


Oh that's hilarious XD




"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh