Mature Content

Last Night, Your Lips My Lips.

by starbustz

[ note: contains strong language]

It was cold. Too cold. Too cold for him, he hated it. The chilly weather pricked his skin demandingly, pleading for him to place the jacket he held folded in his left arm, it wasn’t his. The young man stood in front of the dingy apartment, it wasn’t his. He sighed tiredly and ran his hand through his hair messily as he contemplated on whether he should knock on the door, he doesn’t want to see him again. He shouldn’t. It’s becoming a bad habit for him. Gathering the courage, he knocked on the door, trying to imagine the shifting behind the door was the man he kissed drunkenly and blindly last night at the bridge. The man he swore up and down he hated his guts, the man he would watch being burned alive while drinking water, the man who had the softest and prettiest lips than any man or woman he’s kissed. 

The wooden door creaked open slowly due to exhaustion, it was really late. What stood behind the door was him. Him being a taller, built man with shaggy jet black hair and dressed with a copper layered skin, wearing a wifebeater and basketball shorts - hanging low on his toned hips, His eyes held lack of sleep which switched into a motion of disdain and humiliation. “Atlas.” The man at the door mumbled with vain, shifting his eyes around Atlas and was about to shut the door immediately before a pale arm stopped him, stopping him from slamming the door in front of his face. “‘Vander please just let me explain mys-” A larger hand was placed on Atlas' chest forcefully, fisting his shirt angrily, his maroon eyes blinded with anger and rage. “Don't fucking call me that. You..fuck-” Evander yelled out but then stammered in frustration, averting his gaze somewhere else and loosed his grip on Atlas then his grip on the doorknob tightened as he stated coldy. “You need to get out of here. I don’t want to see you.” 

Atlas just looked down in thought, he’s right. Evander was right. He shouldn’t be here but he wouldn’t live with himself knowing his dumbass affected someone, someone like Evander especially. “Just let me in, please..i’ll explain myself.” Atlas expressed with concern, locking his gaze onto Evander with slight plead and reluctance. Evander paused for a moment, holding his gaze skeptically then sighed sleepily then widened his door open, “make it quick.”

-

As Atlas took a few steps behind, he took note of the quiet and unlit atmosphere - he could almost say it’s comfortable, homey..to some extent. After placing the jacket he put his arm on a nearby coat-rack, “you making yourself comfy?” Evander scoffed and eyed the jacket that was placed on the coat-rack. It was his. It was Evander’s favourite jacket he gave to Atlas because he was cold last night. Last night. Shaking his head at the thought, he headed towards the centre room and Atlas followed - huffing out a small “prick” under his breath and continued. His living room was Atlas’s type, clean and warm - with plants decorated around the place in different sizes.

Evander sat at a separate seat, spreading his legs tiredly as he slumped at it and his pristine ruby eyes followed Atlas’s figure steadily, still holding it carefully as he took a seat across him silently. He paused for a moment - sighing quietly and pushed his glasses up, “I’m sorry. For last night.” “I was drunk and- you were the nearest person.” Fucking liar. He was lying right through his teeth. Evander was definitely not the nearest person to him, dragging each other to the bathroom desperately in a party to abuse his lips wasn’t a mistake. He wanted to kiss him that night, Atlas wanted Evander’s hands on his pale waist, on his hips, on his blonde hair and his lips abusing his just like last night. Will he admit that? Definitely not.

“It’s fine–I was..not in control as well.” Evander replied calmly although dripping with exhaustion, rubbing his eyes and continued “It didn’t mean anything, alright? Now get out of my house. ‘kay?” “Okay.Cool.” Atlas nodded, a little surprised by how easy this went, no way it was this easy right? He expected a purple eye, maybe a broken rib..but he could work with his. The blonde stood up with ease and walked up to Evander who just spread his legs wider in confidence? Or just plain arrogance. “Okay.Cool. Goodnight?” "Yeah. Night." Atlas could just move on, finish summer, finish his internship then graduate valedictorian and mock Evander that he’s second best. Easy. Then kiss him again. What?

“God, I hate you. Can I kiss you again?”

“I hate you too. please, kiss me.” 

[I had to shorten it out because I'm not sure how lenient is YWS with like- touching? idk how to explain it lol, anyways first work i posted here yipee] 

Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm
Wr3n wrote a review...

Omg that escalated quickly. Though, I'm not hating. This story was so tense from start to finish, in the absolute best way possible. kept me in suspense all the way through. Definitely left a lot of questions that I'm going to be thinking about for a while, haha. Probably one of my favorite stories I've read on here so far. The writing was.. amazing to say the least. And the plot, not exactly original (I say, because I've seen the drunken kisses plot used a lot), but engaging nonetheless. And you put a nice spin on it, confronting the issue (Tension) instead of avoiding it. Also the end note got me laughing haha. 10/10, totally recommend!

Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:33 am
Mavraak wrote a review...

Hey there! So, I just dove into this little dramatic showdown of yours, and man, you've got some serious tension cooking! I felt like I was right there with Atlas and Evander, freezing my butt off. Your descriptions are so vivid, it's like I can almost feel the chill in the air and see Evander's disdainful eyes.

The dialogue is like a ping-pong match of emotions—sharp, dynamic, and a little messy in the best way possible. I could practically hear the frustration and exhaustion in their voices. Nice touch!

And those internal thoughts? Gold. You're teasing us with these conflicting desires and secrets. What's the deal with these two? I'm dying to know more about their messed-up history.

The pacing is on point—kept me hooked from the first knock on the door to the unexpected "Can I kiss you again?" bombshell. You know how to keep a reader on their toes!

Overall, it's a damn good snippet. But hey, you left me hanging! What's next? Don't leave me in suspense for too long, okay? Can't wait to see where you take these two. Cheers!

starbustz says...

Thank you so much!! :))

Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:19 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello friend!
Welcome to YWS! I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d give it its second review.

Per my interpretation, this was amazing! There was a great plot and two very well-developed characters that made this a joy to read!

It follows the story of Atlas, a man who drunkenly hooked up with another man named Evander. But after this hook-up, Atlas felt guilt and the need to apologize for what happened between the two of them, but through his apology, he ended up kissing him again.

This is a really great trope—enemies to lovers, in a sense. I had a lot of fun reading it and became very invested in the outcome of this story!

If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be one small grammar thing. There was a point where Atlas was describing Evander and you said,

...the man who had the softest and prettiest lips than any man or woman he’s kissed.

In this context, "than" only works if you were to say "softer and prettier," but since you said "softest and prettiest," it makes more sense to use "of" rather than "than." Like this:

...the man who had the softest and prettiest lips of any man or woman he’s kissed.

But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.

If I had to pick my favorite part, I would have to pick a few! There were a lot of great things in this piece that truly made it spectacular!

The first thing I really enjoyed was the way you showed that something negative happened between Atlas and Evander without outright saying what happened. You said things like,

The man he swore up and down he hated his guts, the man he would watch being burned alive while drinking water...

AND...

“You need to get out of here. I don’t want to see you.”

It's always really interesting when a writer can allude to something without just coming out and saying it. It leaves a lot of room for reader interpretation and allows the reader to guess what they thought happened, which I really enjoy when I'm reading. It seems to add an extra tidbit of mental stimulation, which always makes a book more enticing!

Another thing I really liked was the way you described certain things throughout this story. I especially liked the way you described the kissing scenes when you said,

...dragging each other to the bathroom desperately in a party to abuse his lips wasn’t a mistake.

I think this did a really good job showing how passionate the two were in the moment and why there might have been some guilt afterwards. You also used really neat descriptive words to show how intense the scene actually was, which I personally thought was really cool and made the scene all the more better!

The final thing that I thought was really good was at the end. The part right before the dialogue was quite humorous in the sense that it even showed the narrator's confusion.

Atlas could just move on, finish summer, finish his internship, then graduate valedictorian and mock Evander, saying that he’s second best. Easy. Then kiss him again. What?

I found this quite funny, especially the "what?" from the narrator. A little bit of comedy always makes a story so much better, and that was quite comical, so kudos to you for adding that in!

The ending altogether was really nice. I liked the way it wrapped the story up and gave us a happy ending. Or at least the ending we all wanted to see after reading this. You did a great job with the concluding thoughts of the story and painting the picture of how there was never any real hatred between the two, so good job with that!

Overall, I thought this was an amazing short story! There was great conflict and a fun ending that made this a pleasure to read! It had so many wonderful elements and almost no bad ones, meaning you did an absolutely fantastic job as a writer!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you! And once again, welcome to YWS!

Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!

starbustz says...

omg thank you so much for your review!! Grammer is actually one of my weak points so the advice is rlly helpful, i'm so glad you liked it as well i was so excited reading this lolzz, anyways tysm again!!!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:38 pm
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...

Good afternoon Starbustz! Cupid here, thought I'd fly over a review for you poem today. (Also I'm trying out new method's like the YWS s'mores method, this one's for New years!!)

🔢 Counting Down to New Beginnings: First Impression:

Oooo! Your title captured my attention hehe! at first the opening line of your story set a chilling tone, emphasizing the cold weather and the discomfort it brings to the protagonist. The description of the dingy apartment adds to the atmosphere, creating a of gloom and weariness. then the introduction of the man from the bridge a layer of intrigue and curiosity, leaving your readers eager to know more about their complicated relationship!

📝 Setting Resolutions: Room Improvements!

I couldn't find much that needed improvement, I do have a little nit-pick here though, maybe try expanding the dialogue and the internal thoughts of the protagonist? I find that it can add a lot of depth and nuance to story. But other then that well-done!

Shining night stars: Highlights of Piece

What shines through in this story for me is the palpable tension conflicting emotions between the protagonist and Evander. The way you describe Evander's actions and behavior that adds to the reader's curiosity about their past encounters. The dialogue between them is sharp and reveals their complicated relationship, with a mix of resentment and strife. The ending leaves your readers craving to know more about the dynamics between them what will happen next!

🎆 Fireworks of Emotion: Favorite lines!

"I hate you too. Can I kiss you again?"

EEE!! This line gave me butterflies!! I love how you perfectly captured the conflicting emotions and desires of the characters, showcasing the complexity of their relationship and leaving a lasting impact on the reader. (🦋🦋)

- "Atlas just looked down in thought, he’s right. Evander was right He shouldn’t be here but he couldn’t live with himself knowing his dumbery affected someone, someone like Evander especially."

Reminds me of Enemies to Lovers trope, I think this line perfectly reflects his inner conflict and him having to come to terms with his feelings for Evander.

🥂 A Toast to the Future: Closing thoughts

Overall, I really enjoyed your story! You effectively establishes the tension and intrigue between Atlas and Evander. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us readers! Thank you for sharing this intriguing piece! Happy writing and may New Year bring you joy, inspiration, and many literary accomplishments!

Fly high writer, Cupid 💘

starbustz says...

Hi omg!! thank you so much for your review !! this means a lot ahaha%uD83D%uDE2D I'll look on working on my dialogue more because i think it would really help smoothen out my work better?

Anyways thank you so much for the feedback!!! <3

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes