Corset.

by yamatri

There was a time,

When we were sublime,

Wearing cage-like corsets to look just fine.

.

And if we forgot,

then God help us all,

the world will fall, 

the sky will cry,

I will be loose,

as the god said thy 

.

So, for the sake of the world, 

I will try,

Try my best to hold my cry.

As the corset becomes more tight and tight,

.

As the freedom of my body,

Will cause distraction, 

They will lose their minds,

till they hover over me for satisfaction.

.

So, for the sake of the world,

I will try,

Try to keep everything inside,

As the corset becomes more tight and tight.

To get the perfect waistline.

...................................................................

dm74 wrote a review...

This poem resonates strongly with contemporary discussions surrounding body image, societal expectations, and gender norms. While corsets may no longer be a prevalent fashion trend, the pressures faced by individuals to conform to beauty standards persist in today's society.

In today's context, the metaphor of the corset can be extended to encompass various modern-day practices and expectations that restrict individuals' autonomy and self-expression. From unrealistic beauty standards promoted by media and advertising to societal pressure to conform to gender norms and expectations, many individuals still feel compelled to alter their appearance and behavior to fit into narrow ideals of acceptability.

The poem's themes of sacrifice, obligation, and societal pressure remain relevant today, as individuals continue to grapple with the tension between personal autonomy and external expectations. The repetition of the phrase "for the sake of the world" can be seen as a reflection of the ongoing pressure to conform to societal norms, even when doing so comes at a cost to one's own well-being and happiness.

Ultimately, this poem serves as a poignant reminder of the enduring impact of societal expectations on individuals' lives and the importance of challenging restrictive norms and embracing diversity and authenticity. It encourages readers to critically examine the pressures they face and to strive for self-acceptance and empowerment in a world that often seeks to constrain and control.

HeartPermits wrote a review...

What a nice poem!

I'm happy you write about this subject and your own views about it. You really succeeded in encapsulating the pain of womanhood. What it is to be restricted and seen through society's eyes.

"I will try,
Try my best to hold my cry.
As the corset becomes more tight and tight,"

Really pretty lines here. In your words we see how the corset acts both as a prison for women and also for the poem itself. The rhyming scheme, the repetitions... unconscious or not it was a great effect. In the same vein, beautiful verse when you claim your own freedom trying to break through the rhyming scheme only to have a rhyme at the end, reminding us that even trying to break through is hard.

I wish you could have explored the theme deeper. Think about this, how do you want your poem to linger in someone's mind after the poem is read. The end is bitter, but it could have been better.

Congrats, hope you write more!

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Hi @yamatri

I'd like to say this poem that you wrote here should really be appreciated. It's so full of everything girls and woman have to go through everyday in life. And why? Because "the world" think and expects things from them.

Why should they do what others want from them? No one really has an answer, all they can say is: "It's tradition" or "You should think about the family reputation"

Girls/ Woman do everything they can to keep up with everything that people tell/ expect from them. No one sees them cry and No one understands their pain.

I'm happy you wrote this piece, I love it. It's very realistic and you really fleshed out how "the corset" is being worn and how it really sits.

- Rinisha

yamatri says...

thank you very much, I really appreciate the comment. <3

AmayaStatham says...

You're welcome!
I'm just very happy someone has the guts to write it. <3

- Rinisha

Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:45 am
aris07 says...

I enjoy the restrictiveness and almost claustrophobia that was emphasized and brought across. I also liked the fact that you brought across societal beauty standards that are at most unrealistic and the fact that it's painful to try and conform to said standards.

yamatri says...

thank u :-)

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain