z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

In the elevator: With myself (part 2)

by AmayaStatham


Did I make it out the elevator?

I get into the lift and press the red emergency button. As the lift goes up, a little girl of about seven gets in. The girl looks up at me and notices that I seem sad.

'What's wrong, Kara?'

she asks in her innocent little voice. I sigh deeply and stare ahead: 'Oh, it's all so confused,' I say. 'I feel so alone sometimes, and it seems like no one really understands how I feel.'

The girl asks: 'Alone, but why?'

There is a moment of silence, the girl doesn't move a muscle and just listens to me.

'I understand that this will be my life now. Myself as the only good friend, the only one I could trust, with whom I could laugh and who could help me through my worries. And why? Because I am the only one who has gone through what I went through. I alone know what it is really like. People came and said: 'I can understand, Kara. I can totally empathise with what you've been through.' No. You can't, because you didn't sit where I sat. You weren't there, you just heard this and then created a vision for yourself.' I feel tears welling up in my eyes and continue: 'Sometimes I feel so confused and sad. Then people tell me to forget about it.'

I take a deep breath and said: 'But how can I just forget? How? I can't control that myself. I have to understand before I can forget, but of course they don't understand.'

The girl nodded understandingly and said: 'But Kara, sometimes it's also good to try to let go and just let it go. Otherwise you keep thinking about the same thing all the time and then you stay in this same cycle.'

I process for a moment what she just said. And then I continue: 'I feel like I'm stuck in a maze of emotions and I don't know how to get out. I don't want to be alone with my thoughts anymore. I want to talk about it, express it and try to make sense of it. But it feels like no one really wants to listen to it. Like it's too painful or uncomfortable to talk about it. But I can't shut up. I can't pretend everything is okay while feeling lost and unsure. Maybe you'll listen, maybe you won't. But I have to tell you this, I have to try to process it. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and what it's like for me.'

The girl said, 'I hope you know you are not alone in this maze and that there might be a way out, no matter how difficult it seems.'

I smile and sit down on the floor of the lift. 'What's your name?' I ask afterwards.

'Kara.' said the girl and she sits down opposite me. 'I am you. Fifteen years ago, you looked like this.'

I laughed and said, 'Did I really have those high ponytails? I just can't remember. I can't actually remember anything nice from my childhood, because there was almost nothing nice.'

The girl then said, 'Can you remember that day when you fell off the swing and scraped your knees?'

I thought deeply as the girl continued:

* * *

I am swinging on the wooden swing my eldest brother attached to the apple tree. I am swinging very high because I want to touch the sun. So I swing my feet as hard as I can and I almost touch the sun. A bit harder still... and then. Bam!

The swing breaks and I fall down on the ground, scraping my knees ugly. I started crying hard as I start to see the blood and the wounds start to burn. Gerald who is busy reading a psychology book for the next day hears me and runs towards me quickly. He lifts me up and brings me inside.

'Hush Kara,' he says and gently tends to my wounds. I don't even notice that he has put alcohol on them. After he puts a plaster on it he says:

'Kaar, would you like an ice cream?'

I smile and nod. Then I put my arms around his neck as he lifts me he walks to the freezer. I hold him so tightly because I know he is never going to let me down. He is always going to be there for me like an umbrella in the rain and a fur coat in the cold. We eat an ice cream and laugh.

After a while, mother arrives: 'What's going on here?" she asks when all she sees are ice cubes on the ground. Gerald and I burst out laughing harder and later mother does too. She gives Gerald a firm hug and me a kiss on my cheek.

I am so happy because I feel surrounded by my family and the people who are always going to be there for me.

* * *

'You are strong and especially brave that you did not give up. I'm glad you spoke to me, now I'm not as scared as before. I am very grateful to you, Kara. I will always think of you.' My younger seven-year-old self smiles at me.

* * *

Suddenly, smoke enters my room from the window.

My room has thieves' iron so I cannot run away. But this also ensured that now I couldn't see where the smoke was coming from. It doesn't matter much I think and I lie down on my bed. And I stare at the ceiling, smelling old paraffin. I almost dozed off when I hear someone say from a loudspeaker:

'Kara Sandalwood you will be evacuated shortly because the building is on fire. Please stay calm and quiet.'

'The building is on fire?' I asked myself, How could that have happened? Then what will happen now? Am I going to die now? Is this the end of Kara Sandelwood? Are all my problems finally going to disappear? Do I really want this? Now I'm never going to be able to understand properly, why everything went the way it did. Wait! This can't be the end! 'Help!'

I shout, banging on my room door. The fire has spread faster than I thought. From a small flame, it has spread incredibly fast from one of the shelves on the wall to the curtains and bedding. The room begins to fill with smoke as the flames of the fire swirl around it. The heat from the fire and the smoke make it difficult for me to breathe. I cough and my throat begins to burn. I press myself against the door and try to open it, but it is locked.

'Help!'

The fire crackles and crackles, making it difficult for me to hear my own thoughts. My heart pounds in my chest as I keep banging on the door. I feel helpless and panicked. I start coughing and coughing even worse as I keep banging on the door. The smoke makes it harder and harder to breathe. I slump down against the door as I try to understand what is happening. I realise that this could be the end and my life could be over. The thought that I am stuck here and will die drives me crazy. The smoke fills my lungs completely and I can't get any more oxygen.

* * *

I wake up in a strange bed and a strange house.

'Am I not dead?' I ask myself 'Or is this what heaven looks like? Am I in the unconscious? Have all problems disappeared?' A woman about thirty-seven years old enters my room, she is not the lady from the hospital.

'Hello Kara' she said kindly, 'did you sleep well?'

'How do you know my name? And where am I?" I ask desperately.

She remains calm and composed and says: 'Kara, I'm Evie. You were unconscious for three days because of the thick smoke. '

'That doesn't say who you are.'

'I'm your new therapist, Evelyn Harlow. I'm going to try to help you if you want me to, of course. You're going to talk and I'm going to listen, just listen.'

* * *

The therapist listens intently to my story and nods understandingly.

"It's very understandable that you feel this way, Kara. What you went through is traumatic and it is important that you are given space to process and understand it. I can help you learn how to deal with these emotions and thoughts."

I sigh deeply and finally feel heard and understood.

"But how can I ever let go and process this?" I ask. "It feels so overwhelming and I don't know where to start."

The therapist smiles encouragingly.

"It's okay to feel overwhelmed, Kara. Processing trauma is not an easy task and it will take time. But we can work together to discover what steps you can take to move forward."

She explains that trauma often leads to changes in our nervous system, which can make us hyperalert and stressed.

"But there are ways to reduce these reactions and help your body relax," she says. "We can do exercises to regulate your breathing and calm your nervous system so that you can cope better with stressful situations."

The therapist also recommends working on building a support network.

"It is important to have people around you who are willing to listen to you and support you," she says. "This can be family or friends, but also peers who have had similar experiences."

I nod, happy with the suggestions and perspective the therapist offers me. It feels like a path is finally opening up for me to start healing and processing my trauma.

"Thank you," I say with a sincere smile. "I think I am finally ready to work on this."

* * *

The little seven-year-old girl stands in the doorway of the lift. She smiles at me and says, "Thank you for helping me Kara. I needed it.' I smile back at her.

* * *

'Kara are you ready?" asks Evelyn to me. I wave at my seven-year-old self for a second and say, 'Yes. I'm ready to let go of everything.'

- To be continued


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
969 Reviews


Points: 126
Reviews: 969

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:30 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Kara let go of her past! She’s free. :> It will take time to be completely free, but for the most part, she’s free! Kara helped her younger self, the elevator that goes on and on has ended.

I think that Kara was in a fire, went to therapy, got unconscious, and the elevator symbolizes her mind. The elevator is repressed negative feelings that have accumulated over time.

I wish you a fantastic day/night.




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 9867
Reviews: 147

Donate
Thu May 18, 2023 3:50 pm
View Likes
Kaia wrote a review...



Hi, Rinisha!
I kept meaning to continue this little adventure, but every time I got to your portfolio, I always got distracted with something else you wrote. This time, I actually found THE elevator story. So it's time for a review!

First of all, I find the relationship between the seven-year-old Kara and the older Kara to be so unique and special. Seven-year-old Kara is being the little innocent therapist for the older insecure Kara. How cute and well-thought-out!

'What's wrong, Kara?'

she asks in her innocent little voice. I sigh deeply and stare ahead: 'Oh, it's all so confused,' I say. 'I feel so alone sometimes, and it seems like no one really understands how I feel.'
So cute! I do want to say, though, it might be clearer to put "What's wrong, Kara" together with "she asks in her innocent little voice." It looks a bit odd the way it is right now. ;)

A few more quick nitpicks on grammar:

"What you went through is traumatic and it is important that you are given space to process and understand it."

Comma is needed between "traumatic" and "and."

"'Kara.' said the girl and she sits down opposite me. 'I am you. Fifteen years ago, you looked like this.'"

Comma needed between "girl" and "and."

*****
Back to the positive stuff. ;)

I laughed and said, 'Did I really have those high ponytails? I just can't remember. I can't actually remember anything nice from my childhood, because there was almost nothing nice.'

The girl then said, 'Can you remember that day when you fell off the swing and scraped your knees?'"

Awwwwwww....That is so cute! I mean, SERIOUSLY! That is just so sweet. I love the relationship with the two Karas. It's like their sisters, and in reality they're just the same person. It really reminds me of the relationship I have with the "people" in my own brain. Sometimes, I SERIOUSLY feel like I have a 12 yr old in my brain. I know, that probably sounds strange. ;)

Anyway...this part was also super cute:
"He is always going to be there for me like an umbrella in the rain and a fur coat in the cold. We eat an ice cream and laugh."

You are really good at establishing great sibling relationships. What a nice older brother! So sweet!

I have one quick suggestion for the fire scene...what about teary eyes? Most people (including myself *shooting my hand up with a nod*) get severe eye irritation from smoke. It makes them cry. Shielding your eyes from the smoke helps, but it can usually creep up under your arms and still get to your eyes. You can probably tell I've been around campfires a lot. ;) Maybe add that detail?

And on the topic, the part about Kara coughing and wondering about herself if she's going to live or die is realistic and well done! Good job!

Have a nice day!
Kaia




Kaia says...


Oh, I forgot to ask...is there a part three that's out yet?



AmayaStatham says...


Hi Kaia,

Thank you so much for choosing to review my second part of In the elevator with myself part two.

I'm glad you like the relationship between Kara's two characters, one of seven and one of twenty-two. It really took me some time to get it right, but I got it in the end. I wanted readers to be able to make the connection that they were the same person, but in different ages. I also wanted to show the readers that she had once been happy and sane.

(It's not that she's not sane now, but she talks to herself a lot, she has trust issues because of things that happened when she was younger, and after a while she couldn't trust anything and just relied on herself. Because everyone who loved her basically abandoned her, so she started talking to herself and trusting herself and that is one of the reasons why she ended up where she is now. Sometimes I feel sorry for her, she is only twenty-two).

Yeah, because of my grammar hahaha (*cratches my head and laughs fake) I definitely need to work on that. Thanks for the nitpicks, I will look into them again.

What a nice older brother! So sweet!


Yeah right, but not so nice anymore after he practically abandoned her!!! (My heart broke while writing that piece, but I still did.)
I wrote that part where he abandons her in part one.

I have one quick suggestion for the fire scene...what about teary eyes? Most people (including myself *shooting my hand up with a nod*) get severe eye irritation from smoke. It makes them cry. Shielding your eyes from the smoke helps, but it can usually creep up under your arms and still get to your eyes. You can probably tell I've been around campfires a lot. ;) Maybe add that detail?


Yesss, thats true.
How could I forget that!???
I will definitly add that, thanks Kaia!

THanks for all of the compliments I am really trying my best here. It means a lot to hear that from you!

Oh, I forgot to ask...is there a part three that's out yet?


I....I am working on that, but I dont think it'll come very soon, bc I am very busy in finishing my MaryAnna serie. BUT if I do finish it earlier I will tag you when I post it, alright?

I was thinking in doing something like this:
So this is the first part In the elevator: with myself

And I was thinking on doing something like in another dimension;
In the elevator; no way back
In the elevator; with the monsters
In the elevator; stuck in the present

All of these are going to have subparagraphs just like:
In the elevator: with myself
In the elevator: with myself part two
In the elevator: with myself (***part three...)
etc...

These are all going to be about the same Kara but in different dimeansions not all about the fact that she is in a physco house and keeps seeing her younger selfs but different aspects.

I hope you can understand a little bit what my plan is now.

Quick tip:

If you like, you can put the text of people's stories in quotation marks to make it easier to read and follow.

1) Just copy this code:
[quote] put text here [/quote*].

2) Remove the asterisk

3) Copy the person's text and paste it in the middle where this is written: put text here

4) When you've submitted your review/comment, you'll see the magic

Here is also a book with all the codes:
The Big Book of YWS Codes

Amazingly yours,
Rinisha



Kaia says...


Hi, Rinisha!
I missed that part about the older brother. *slaps forehead* I must have forgotten. Oh, well. I understand now. ;)

Hm. I got confused...That's okay, though. i'm sure I'll figure it out in part 3, and yes, please tag me when it comes out!

And so glad my comments were helpful!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that out, next time. :)
-Kaia



AmayaStatham says...


Of course.

have a nice day/ night!

~ Rinisha



Kaia says...


You, too!



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 6980
Reviews: 70

Donate
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:04 pm
View Likes
Euphory wrote a review...



Hi there @Rinisha! <3 here is your promised latte!
Image

PLOT
So I did go through Chapter 1 before reviewing this, and immediately the premise of the story has me hooked- the idea of being stuck in an elevator with your past and future self has so much potential!

I had the same doubt about whether the elevator and the fire scene were real or not, and I just read your replies to them and realised the elevator part is her hallucination whereas the fire part is real - I think it's worth clarifying this in your story because it might help to avoid the confusion!

CHARACTERS
I am so intrigued by Kara's family background! - the narration of Gerald and the mother from seven year old Kara is so WHOLESOME! It's hard to believe that her mother committed suicide and left Kara with her alcoholic father after all that bonding :/ can't wait to see you explore the gradual coming of that, but for now, getting to see a glimpse of when Kara's family was happy was amazing! <3

I also think the fact that Kara's past self and future self have such contradictory views and beliefs makes it very plausible, and I especially love how Kara's present self is finally ready to let go of the trauma to be compassionate towards her younger self! I think my favorite part of your book is just that - the acknowledgement of all the trauma, and the slow recuperation from it, by being compassionate to all the parts of yourself! Dr Evelyn serves as a perfect character to guide Kara through this!

FAVORITE QUOTES

I am swinging very high because I want to touch the sun

100% a core childhood memory for me too :")
I wave at my seven-year-old self for a second and say, 'Yes. I'm ready to let go of everything.'

SUCH A HEARTWARMING MOMENT! <333

And that's it! I hope this review was helpful <3




AmayaStatham says...


Hi Euphory,

Thank you so much for your review!
I love that you love the story.

I do wanted to tell you that her "real" mother, Sarah, is the one that commited suicide, not Marie.

Once again thank you!

- Rinisha



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 8148
Reviews: 79

Donate
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:09 am
View Likes
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...



Hi there! I'm cookiesandcream :D

So far I've read this and chapter 1, and both were very enjoyable to read! I like the idea of Kara meeting her past and future selves, and being in the elevator with... well, herself. It's very introspective and deep.

I also like the beginning of this chapter, when she confronts her own feelings and talks about it. You wrote that part really nicely, and her thought process felt human and fleshed out.

Though, keep in mind that during the dialogue, the quotation marks should be (double) " and not (single) ' , unless the character is quoting someone else -- so like, a quote inside of a quote.


I was also a bit confused during the fire/hospital scene. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that the scenes in the elevator were just a dream, and when she came back to the present, it was the fire that happened first? And then in the last two paragraphs, she was saying goodbye to 7 y/o Kara in that dream?

If so, I'd recommend adding smthg like, "In my mind, the little seven-year-old..." in the 2nd to last paragraph, just to clarify that it's in her head. Also try to make the other setting transitions clearer too:

Eg: Explain how Kara went from the elevator to her room here

My younger seven-year-old self smiles at me. * * * Suddenly, smoke enters my room from the window.


(The *** are really helpful in separating the scenes/flashbacks though!)
And also at the beginning of the chapter; it seems to pick up from a different spot from where Chapter 1 ended.

However, this is a really beautiful and interesting story! I'm glad that Kara was ready to move on by the end, and I hope that she succeeds. Keep up the great work~!




AmayaStatham says...


Thank you Cookiesandcream123,

I'm very happy you reviewed my work.



AmayaStatham says...


About your questions:

They're not dreams.
In fact Kara is a hallucinating, she turned a bit crazy and talks to herself. And everytime she talks to herself, she goes in a elevator.

The fire and her room were actually in the present like NOW. She "thinks" she's in a elevator, but she isn't.

At the end her seven year old self is actually thanking her that she gets help for hers (as in Kara).

I hope this answers your questions.

- Rinisha



User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 9163
Reviews: 229

Donate
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:22 am
View Likes
foxmaster wrote a review...



Hello! This is Foxmaster!!!🦊(that's my new signature in case you were wondering.)
Yes! You made a part two!!!!! Finally! I really liked this although I was wondering at the end: was the part with the fire a flashback, or something else? Anyway:

I smile and sit down on the floor of the lift. 'What's your name?' I ask afterwards.

'Kara.' said the girl and she sits down opposite me. 'I am you. Fifteen years ago, you looked like this.'

I laughed and said, 'Did I really have those high ponytails? I just can't remember. I can't actually remember anything nice from my childhood, because there was almost nothing nice.'

Well, you repeat 'nice' there twice, so I would get rid of one of those. Example:
'I can't actually remember anything ice from my childhood, because good things rarely happened.

I am also wondering: wasn't the girl already in part one? Did she just disappear? (If I am wrong, just say because it has been a while since I read part one.)
'Hush Kara,' he says and gently tends to my wounds. I don't even notice that he has put alcohol on them. After he puts a plaster on it he says:

'Kaar, would you like an ice cream?'

I smile and nod. Then I put my arms around his neck as he lifts me he walks to the freezer. I hold him so tightly because I know he is never going to let me down. He is always going to be there for me like an umbrella in the rain and a fur coat in the cold. We eat an ice cream and laugh.

So, this is an interesting moment here, especially considering that Kara is having a nice flashback of a kind family when before she said: "I don't have a lot of nice moments with my family." This adds a nice little layer f drama to see who is wrong and who is right.
Suddenly, smoke enters my room from the window.

My room has thieves' iron so I cannot run away. But this also ensured that now I couldn't see where the smoke was coming from. It doesn't matter much I think and I lie down on my bed. And I stare at the ceiling, smelling old paraffin. I almost dozed off when I hear someone say from a loudspeaker:

'Kara Sandalwood you will be evacuated shortly because the building is on fire. Please stay calm and quiet.'

ooh, well is she in her room? Take back what I said before, present Kara is right... but why would they not want her to run away? I feel like you should say: "The next thing I knew I was having a flashback---" because I was lost a little.
She remains calm and composed and says: 'Kara, I'm Evie. You were unconscious for three days because of the thick smoke. '

'That doesn't say who you are.'

'I'm your new therapist, Evelyn Harlow. I'm going to try to help you if you want me to, of course. You're going to talk and I'm going to listen, just listen.'

Well, nice change of tenses. I was certainly intrigued by this part, but I would not say Evelyn's name twice, because then it sounds strange. This scene especially made we wonder how she got there, in that room and why she isn't in the hospital. I also like this scene because it makes me think of Wednesday.
Overall, I liked this part and I hope you continue it soon.
-Foxmaster




AmayaStatham says...


Hi Foxmaster,

(Sorry for the late reply)

The part with the fire was real life, the elevator pieces are pieces where Kara is hallucinating and talking to herself.

Every time she talks to herself, she thinks she's in a elevator.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind.

Ps: I'm still waiting for my suggestions on MaryAnna alr.

- Rinisha




Perfection is lots of little things done well.
— Marco Pierre White