grow

by rainforest

the lush monstera growing by my window
gives me peace in growing up.
bearing witness to each leaf
unravel into a new breath of life
gives me a reason to keep walking forward.

on my steady travels,
i often ponder
“am i missing out?”
the fear of not chasing
this dream i attempted to pave
fogs up my vision
and swallows me whole.
that stupid feeling
brings me to my knees.

walking forward is too hard sometimes,
and so i crawl slowly,
and feeling that lazy, cold masonry
against the palms of my tired hands
creates a frightful reminder
that growing up
is not the dream that i longed for.

as my hands brush the pavement,
i start to feel
the moss and clover,
wiggling in between those
little cracks-
they search for the sun.
i trace my finger through the cracks,
guiding myself out of the fog,
trying to search for myself.

Lovestrike wrote a review...

Hi rainforest! I like your username! =D

I've been eyeing this poem for a few days now, so I figured I'd review it!

I love how you describe things! The imagery is very simplistic, but I love how it tackles the theme of growing up. So much is happening during this time, so I like that the narrator takes a more simple route! The connection to nature is also very lovely, and it works with the theme as well. Especially the plants, since plants symbolize growth! They can mean a lot of things.

The way I'd interpret it is a literal version of the "one day at a time" philosophy. That's a really interesting take on growing up! Usually it's the opposite. I like the fresh, self-reflecting tone that the narrator keeps throughout. It's new!

I mentioned how the nature imagery works, but I do think it's slightly messy! There's a lot going on, which is a bit hard to follow at times. I think the "plants growing out of the sidewalk" is such a meaningful metaphor, but it doesn't have enough time to shine! I like all of the imagery, but there isn't a real connection between it.

This is stunning though! It's really thought-provoking :')

- Solstice

rainforest says...

thank you so much for your time and the well thought out comments : ) it is greatly appreciated!

Hey! I really love your poem; it encapsulates the feeling of being a teenager very well. Your word choice is absolutely phenomenal and it provides such beautiful imagery! Keep writing and have an awesome day!

rainforest says...

thank you!

AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hi, hello! This is Ina speaking. I am here to write down a quick comment/review. By the way, I've been eyeing this in the Green Room, it's just that I was busy thinking of what to write for my next stories. Anyways, let's get into it.

I like this poem. It explains vividly what growing is like. As a teenager, it is painful to grow up, you know, you have mistakes, and sometimes the pain of the things in life you want to happen never happened. Or does it mean that you crave to find something? The title is okay, I think it works with it if this reassures you. By the way, were the small letters intentional?

Over all, it is good. Keep it up, @rainforest. I like the name. Have a good morning, day, afternoon, or night.

rainforest says...

thank you for your time and your lovely review! : )

AkuRashomon says...

You're welcome!

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 am
Mikatsune says...

This is a very beautiful poem.

rainforest says...

thank you!

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)