12+ Language Violence

Meet John Linton - Beware of the Light Chapter 1 (Draft)

by NewHope

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. You can feel the warmth of sunlight on your skin. The birds are singing and the plants are flowering. As you walk slowly along the wooden pathway a light breeze brushes softly against your legs. Soon you come to a bridge and you watch as the water flows lazily around the rocks.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. You walk across the bridge and enter the garden through an archway. You feel welcomed, safe and comfortable. You look around the garden. Taking time to stare at the flowers and the trees. As you walk along the gravel pathway you look up at the fluffy white clouds and the perfect pearly blue of the sky.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Your eyes slowly fall down to the ancient mountains that travel along the horizon. Their rocky peaks coated with a sugar dusting of snow. You wish you could stay here forever.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. The clicking and clacking of the pebbles as you continue down the path is like music to your ears. You can smell the sweet scent of flowers. The world is perfect. You stop to listen to the sounds of the garden. You hear the call of a bird echo through the garden and you follow its beautiful melody. ”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. As you follow the entrancing sounds the bushes grow taller and soon you realize you are lost. You look around for anything that could help you and you see the bird sitting on top of one of the tall hedges.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. You hear the beautiful call again and it jumps into flight. You run after it, following the long wavering tail feathers through the twisting path. To your despair, you reach a dead end and the bird flies away, but just as you think you are lost once again the hedge opens and you see an entwined pathway of blue, white, black and red.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. You cautiously walk along the tangled paths and soon reach the centre of the maze. There you find a fish pond. The blue water ripples as the black and white koi fish swim around the pond. They are a symbol of unification. Yin and Yang. The Moon and the Sun. Darkness and light. But, you watch in horror as the water becomes a sickening red and the lifeless bodies of the fish float to the surface.”

“Breathe in with your nose. 1. 2. 3. 4. Hold your breath. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. And breathe out. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. The water clears and you stare in amazement at the two small fish swimming through the pond. A symbol of rebirth. You walk slowly back through the twisting hedges and along the gravel path. You leave the garden through the archway feeling both rejuvenated and reborn.”

“Sit up and open your eyes,” Mr Sancho said, smoothing back his thin grey hair as they lazily obeyed his instruction. 

Mr Sancho had been their beloved drama teacher for as long as any of them could remember and since then his age had taken a massive toll on him. He was full of life, but life hadn’t been that easy on him. He often said that life was better when he was younger, but that that didn’t mean he should stop looking forward to it. He walked with a carved wooden walking stick that was once a dark oiled brown but was now a discoloured yellow. He was loved by the children of the school and they missed him dearly when he is away recovering from his countless operations. And even though the doctors argued with his lively opinions and his choice to continue teaching he was full of passion. “Today I will be reading a poem of my own entitled I hate.”

“Your rotting heart.

No more love. No more I miss you.

Strike it out.

Show them you hate it.

No h’s. No more I like you.

Show them you hate it because I know you do.

Draw them to quarters and steal their heads.

Slit their necks and ring them clean.

I know you hate them.

Cut their toes and stretch their arms.

Pull out their hair and chew their tongue.

I know you hate them. I know why you do.

So sit back in your hole filled with little dolls.

So hurt and pain and bleed in vain.

Die in your blood. And die drowning in your dirty mud.

Because I hate and I hate you.”

He sat quietly and watched the awed, paperwhite faces of the children before he began to speak once more, “Does anyone know what type of poem that is?”

Almost everyone’s hands went up. Not all of them were sure of their answer, but they knew Mr Sancho didn’t mind if their answer was wrong. “Yes, Sam.”

“It’s a free verse poem, Mr Sancho, and the genre is undoubtedly horror,” Sam answered, trying to impress Mr Sancho.

“Well done, Sam,” he congratulated her and carried on with the lesson, “Now that we have that out of the way we can play a game.” 

There was no doubt that this was everyone’s favourite part of the lesson and everyone cheered excitedly. “Does everyone know how Answer the Class works?”

“Yes, Mr Sancho,” they said in ecstatic unison.

“Our subject for today is writing and writers. Any book or any author. Why don’t you start for us, Lincoln? Abraham Lincoln, I think?”

“Do you mean me, sir? My name’s Linton,” John asked.

“Ah. Yes. The old noggin these days,” he apologised.

“Don’t worry about it at all, sir,” he said getting up from his seat. 

He walked timidly to the middle of the circle and took a few deep breaths. John was short and scrawny with his messy brown hair. “May I start, sir,” he asked, he wasn’t much of a public speaker, but he tried to sound confident because Mr Sancho had taught them that was important when trying to grab someone’s attention. 

“You may start.”

“Ok. So I’ve been reading a book called The Flame by Elizabeth King,” he said.

“How old are you,” came the first interjection.

“I’m 14. The book is about Thomas Patrickson who is looking for inspiration for a novel.”

“Where were you born?”

“Philippolis, Free State. And there’s this guy who can turn into a vampire.”

“What’s your mother’s maiden name?”

“Hal-” 

The bell rang shrilly interrupting the lesson. Mr Sancho waited patiently for the bell to stop ringing and asked “What was your mother’s maiden’s name, Linton, I apologise, we couldn’t hear you over the bell.”

“Hall, sir, but… didn't the lesson just end?”

“Right, of course. Thirty minutes is always too short. See you all next week,” he said and the children jumped off their seats and walked quickly towards the front office to wait for their parents.

John followed the crowd out the front office door and sat down at one of the wooden benches, scraping himself slightly on one of its concrete legs. He stared at the huge colourful poster stuck on the plain white wall. Friday the 14th of June was fast approaching and he still didn’t have a date for the Glow Dance. He knew his mom would pay for the ticket, but he didn’t want to be the only person to go by themself. He admired the bright neon words that stood against the light blue background. But he was mesmerised by the stark silhouettes of the dancing figures. And as he stared at their dark bodies he daydreamed about his crush. Her platinum blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. A hand tapped him on his shoulder and he spun around quickly, coming face to face with those beautiful blue eyes. “Oh, it’s you.”

“Hi Sam would have been just fine,” she said and looked at the poster, “Thinking of taking someone to the dance?”

“I’m thinking about it. But I’m nervous to ask,” he said hoping she wouldn’t catch on.

“Hey. Any girl would be lucky to have you as a date.” But he couldn’t tell if she was being sincere or if she had just seen it in a movie.

“You’re just staying that.”

“No. I mean it.”

“You really think so?”

“Of course I do.”

“Thanks, Sam,” John said and hugged her tightly. 

He let go after a while and they stared at each other. “Drama was relaxing,” he said breaking the awkward silence.

“It’s always so fun. I wish that Mr Sancho was at school more often.”

“If it means he’ll be around for longer then I’m all about him taking his time to recover.”

There was a loud hoot and Sam looked back over her shoulder. “There’s my mom’s car. Let’s get going.” 

He picked up his green and brown camo bag and followed Sam towards the silver Volvo S90. They put their bags in the boot and got into the back seat. “Hello, Mrs Clarke.”

“Hello, Mom.”

“Hello, you two. How was school?”

“Relaxing,” John said.

“Relaxing?”

“We had drama today and we did some breathing exercises,” Sam explained.

“Well. It’s good to hear Mr Sancho’s back,” Mrs Clarke said and reversed out of her parking spot.

Sam looked across at the teacher’s parking lot, finding Mr Sancho’s small blue VW Polo parked under a huge willow tree. “But for how long? For all, we know this might be the last time we see him.” 

She stared out the window as the trees passed by and the first house came into sight. An old cottage with whitewashed walls and a clay red tile roof. “What if by tomorrow this house doesn’t belong to him?”

“Sweetpea. He just had a successful operation. He’ll be okay, I’m sure the doctors are making sure of it.”

“And if they don’t?”

John stared as the church came into view. Its old clocktower said it was almost three. “John.”

“Yes.”

“What do you think?”

He wasn’t sure what he should say. He had never seen his father act anything other than angry. “Sam I think your mom is right,” he said, but it sounded painfully wrong.

“He’ll be just fine, sweetpea.”

“I hope you’re right. He’s such a nice man.”

“Well… we’re here,” John said, changing the subject. 

The car pulled into the driveway and they got out. They walked up the brick path together in a friendly silence as John stared at the house like he had done hundreds of times before. Today, like every day he came here he was impressed. The modern two-storey house with its clean white walls and black tiled roof was huge compared to his family’s tiny 4 room apartment. Small windows ran along the frame of the black panelled door giving you a small glimpse of their wealthy life. “Get your homework finished. I’ll bring through a snack for you guys later,” Mrs Clarke said as they started to open the door.

“Of course, Mom,” Sam said

“We always do. Don’t we?”

“I never doubted you for a moment, Sam. Just remember to ask if you need any help.” 

They walked up a set of spiralling metal stairs, but as always John’s gaze was fixed on the living room. He was amazed by the brown leather couches and the huge TV. His parents had one in their room, but he wasn’t allowed to watch anything on it. “Come on, John,” Sam called, “Your homework won’t finish itself.” 

He tore his eyes from the glimmering screen and carried on down the hallway. Sam opened the door to her room and showed him in. Her room was a dark pink. A white poster bed sat in the right corner and Sam walked towards it. Meanwhile, John walked toward a light pink wooden desk and sat on a black computer chair. Their Maths test was coming up soon and there was a lot of homework. This test was mainly about algebraic equations. He normally hated Maths, but algebra just annoyed him. Numbers don’t make any sense already so why complicate it even more with letters? They opened up their exercise books and searched for page 205. They sat in silence as they worked. Sam wrote down the sums neatly and filled in the answers in in quick succession. John struggled and by the time Mrs Clarke came into the room with sandwiches almost an hour later John had barely reached the sixth page. “How’s it going, guys,” Mrs Clarke asked.

“Almost done,” Sam said.

“Four more pages to go,” he added gloomily.

“Well, you better start working, young sir. That homework won’t do itself.” 

Is it just me or is that saying getting a little annoying? She gave them their plates and they thanked her quickly before getting back to work. It wasn’t long before Sam finished her work and fetched her favourite book, Jane Eyre from her shelf. John worked for what felt like an hour before he got to the last sum. “Done,” he said with the satisfaction of a hard day’s work finally finished and slammed his book shut. 

Sam looked up from her book. “Finally. I’ve been reading for the last half an hour.” 

She bent her hand and stared at it for a few moments. “Like my nails? I had them done yesterday.”

“Um…”

“Just say yes or no?”

“I guess so.” 

He rubbed the back of his neck and looked at Sam again. Going over every detail. Her flowing hair and sparkling eyes. Her petite hands and feet. Her slim waist and beautiful smile. He liked Sam. No. He loved her. It was a love that made him lose his breath. A love that made his dry throat tight as a knot. A love that made his legs feel floppy and weak. A love that sent shivers down his spine every single time he thought about her. A love so deep he dreamed of Sam at night. He really wanted to ask Sam to the dance but, he was scared. He knew that it was now or never. That lousy dance or nothing. Sam would never be his girlfriend or take his hand in marriage. The children he had dreamt of would never be born, it all depended on this simple moment. But, were his feelings really worth ruining his only true friendship? What if she liked someone else? Someone cooler than him. He’d seen her look at Richard Anderson with his glowing blonde hair. “Sam, can I ask you something important,” he said, trying not to choke on his words.

“Sure. What is it?”

“Well...” 

Now or never. Now or never. His mind pondered it. Grappled with it. Played with it. Now or never. The idea was like a rock in his hands. Now. Fun to throw and try and hit your target. Or. But it was dangerous, you could hurt someone or even yourself with the flick of a wrist. Never. “Do you remember when you met up with me after school?”

“Yes. You were looking at that poster for the school dance.” Sam smiled excitedly.

“Sam. Would you make me the luckiest boy at Marc Hutton High and be my date to the dance?” 

He waited nervously for her answer. His heart was in his throat. His head raced through all the possible outcomes. “Yes.” 

He heard the word flutter from her lips and his mind stopped for a second. An explosion of happiness rocked through his head. His toes tingled and he wanted to jump up and scream. He just couldn’t believe it. He heard the sharp sound of his mother’s car pulling into the driveway, but he didn’t care. He went to Sam and hugged her and this time she hugged him back. They stayed like that until an insistent knocking thudded on the door. “John. Your mom’s here,” came the call. 

He tore himself from Sam and opened the door. He just couldn’t believe this was really happening. He thought about it the whole drive home. And when he climbed the ladder into the renovated attic he called his room and shut the trap door he jumped and pumped his arms in triumph. And while he searched for and read historical documents about his family he daydreamed about her, barely paying any attention to the documents themselves.

Though it lacked an initial organized investigative plan during the first 72 hours after the initial missing persons’ reports regarding Debra Linton (néeHall) and her daughter, Cartet Linton’s disappearances, numerous outside law enforcement agencies that were later part of the double homicide investigation suggested that the Benton Police Department’s continued presence at the property obstructed the disposal of the Lintons’ remains outside of the surrounding area. The Benton Police Department’s continued search efforts and willingness to launch four independent operations in three days was most likely significantly responsible for the suspect having left the Lintons’ bodies on the property and that eventually concluded with the recovery of their remains.

There is unanimous consensus based upon supporting forensic evidence that by the time the initial missing person reports were made to the Benton Police Department both victims were likely deceased. Thus, by that time, no police action could have been initiated or undertaken by the responding officers to the initial missing persons’ reports and following investigation(s) that would have prevented the deaths of Debra and Cartet Linton. In a circumstance where the death of the person is not immediate, however, the investigative actions of a police department and the coordinated response by assisting agencies can largely impact the aftermath. Thus, it is clear that if another missing person report were to be approached in the same manner as was the Linton case, the Benton Police Department may indeed miss an opportunity to save a victim’s life.

“Johnny,” his mother called from downstairs as he mindlessly clicked on a new document, “Dinner’s ready!”

“Coming,” he hollered back. 

He closed his computer and sprang up from his swivel chair. He followed the mouthwatering aroma to the dining room. His usually stern and serious father seemed barely able to contain himself with the plate of food in front of him. “Not even a thank you, Steve,” Mother said to Father.

“Not even a thank you, Felicia,” he said. 

He continued to sniff his plate, savouring the fragrance. He snorted as he sniffed in a disgusting attempt to mock Mother. She hadn’t even gone to the kitchen to get her own plate when Father started shovelling clumps of food into his mouth. Gasping for breath with half his mouth filled. John didn’t notice though, he was too busy thinking about Sam. He couldn’t believe that she had said yes. It just seemed too good to be true. Father looked at him eagerly and asked with a mouth full of food, “You haven’t touched your plate. Not hungry?”

But it sounded more like, “Mmm mven’t tukhed hur pate. Mot ungry?”

“No. I haven’t touched Mother’s plate.”

“No, yours.” (“Na, whorse.”)

“We can’t understand a thing you’re saying, Steven.”

Father swallowed his food and said, “You haven’t touched your plate. Can I have your food?”

“Sorry, I’m going to eat it. I was just thinking.”

“What were you thinking about,” Mother butted in in the hope of some sort of conversation.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?” She arched her eyebrows.

“Do you really want to know?”

“What is it?”

“I was thinking about Sam.”

“What about Sam,” she asked inquisitively.

“I asked her to the dance.”

“And she said yes?”

“She said yes.”

“I’m so happy for you John,” she squealed, “We’ll have to buy you a suit tomorrow.”

“Oh great. A new bitch in the family and now I have to pay for a suit that’s just going to sit around and rot.”

“This won’t be his only dance, Steven.”

“Kids grow, Felicia.”

“Do you even remember the last time he outgrew his shoes?”

“Clothes not shoes!”

“That’s not my point!”

“So then what is your damn point!”

“Do you really have to be so explicit?”

“Oh shut up and stop crying about it.”

“For God’s sake, Steve our child is sitting right there.”

“Well if he has such a big problem with seeing what happens in the real world then he can go and cry in his bloody room!” John gratefully pushed his chair in and climbed the stairs to the sounds of their screaming match. He hated it when they fought, especially when it was his fault.

fantasies wrote a review...

hi! this had different feels than the prologue, as the person below me had said. the character in the prologue was suffering from what looked to be hallucinations, however, John is currently not.
both look to be incredibly descriptive. that’s a similarity. i like the descriptions, it brings it to life.
the whole story all together seems mysterious. im curious as to what will happen with the character in the prologue. i can’t wait to see!
great job with this, im definitely going to be reading more.

NewHope says...

Thank you so much for another review Paige

I'm working on summoning up more work... as I have a whole book but really need to expand it and make things longer. I'm really glad you look like the descriptions... I've written the prologue to be purposefully vague, shallow and have a direct meaning so that the cause can slowly be filtered through. I'm really happy to hear you'll be reading further. I know I have a few bits and bobs lying around so I'll try and sort that out.

Lehmanf

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:39 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Overall impression

This was quite an exciting one. We got to see a scene completely different from that of the prologue, in terms of pretty much everything—structure, tone, setting, atmosphere, characters and plots. I really like this change here. It made me wonder about the connection between the prologue and this chapter. Very intriguing indeed.

Characters

As it seems to me, John Linton can indeed be the main character of our story. I am still not sure but just a random guess. However, the most intriguing character was Mr. Sancho. He seemed to have a lot of things happening in his past. He is quite mysterious. Like at a first glance, he seemed to be quite a simple man and did relaxing exercises to his students. But yes, the poem he recited threw me off a bit. It is kind of based on broken love, cheating and hatred. Of course, poems always need not be based on real experiences but that poem did make me wonder a lot.

Next, the character of John. Well, he was another interesting character. I liked how through him you portrayed a normal teen and the feelings of a teen. He was afraid of asking his crush but finally succeeded. We don't have a lot of character development here but of course, this is nothing but the first chapter.

And now comes Sam. Again not a lot of character development but at a first glance, she appears to be very kind and serious about studies.

Talking about the other two characters, Felicia and Steven, Felicia is being portrayed as quite an understanding mother. She did understand the feelinhs of John although he didn't tell her anything. That's quite good. And Steve here was a bit of humourous character. I would not say funny because he didn't make me laugh but yes, he does have the traits of a humorous character. We will see where this goes.

Plot

I found the family history of John a very interesting thing. Although I am still in the dark about what exactly it is supposed to mean, it promised to be something interesting. From what I understood, it was about the deaths of two Lintons and the deaths were very mysterious.

I am happy that John succeeded at pursuing Sam to go to the dance with him. It made me wonder a bit about what is going to happen in the dance and if it's going to be significant to the plot. Perhaps it will be, after all a dance is an excellent place to introduce a lot of characters.

Anyway, a lot didn't happen in the plot. It was more of a introduction of the main characters and setting up a relation between them.

Structure

The beginning felt really repetitive. Something has to be done with the beginning. That 1 2 3 4 repitition, I mean. I understand you wanted to highlight the class but that was a very distracting thing in the beginning. That portion can be cut short and you can somehow add the duration of for how long it was happening.

Another thing is it felt a bit compressed, the portion from where John's mother came. You can expand on that part and compress the beginning. Like for example, John didn't say 'goodbye' when leaving Sam's house. That now is pretty awkward.

Setting

I think the setting needs a bit more fleshing out, especially the school. You did not add a lot of details about the appearance of the school. While it's not very hard to imagine a school, it's very easy to imagine a wrong school. The house did have a few setting description as I can see.

Others

There were a few forced things, I guess. At least to me they seemed a bit forced. Like the asking of age and where he was born in Mr. Sancho's class when he was asked to talk about a book. Like Mr. Sancho could ask questions about the book. It just felt a bit weird.

Next, the reading of the historical documents. Don't ask me for reasons, I am very bad at providing it but yes, the reading of the documents felt a bit forced too. You have to make it a bit more normal. Like was it a daily habit of his own? If yes, I would suggest to include it.

I enjoyed reading this chapter. Will get to the next chapter soon.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Hi lehmanf,

I see now that we are moving away from the prologue and probably won't get back to it until much later. A good way to keep the reader hooked and go a little deeper into the characters and emotions of the characters. At first glance, this chapter can be judged as a slow but good start to the story where we get to know the characters.

I assume that the poem is your own work and I like the way you have set it up to show it off. Something I really like is how you vividly brought the characters to life through the dialogue and especially Mr Sancho, how you made him a very interesting person just through the beginning. Even though I find that the beginning drags a bit, especially because as a reader you don't really know where you are (there's something like a point where the reader still thinks it's good and then suddenly digresses.) so I would advise you that this is the only part, to take away one or two paragraphs to make it a bit easier into the chapter.

I can't say much about the plot yet, except that I'm excited to see where we're going after we've seen the prologue, and I'm also excited to see how it all ties together at the end.

I think you have a good way of introducing the characters and setting the scene right away. I like these little detail moments where you write a little bit about some other stories. It gives the story a lot of depth and has a positive effect on the worldbuilding. But I also think that you could explain other things in more detail to give a better picture of the environment and situation. That would give a lot more depth to the locations.

Otherwise, I like the way you started and how we are in a calm situation here.

Other points I noticed while reading:

Since this is a kind of "title" or proper name, I would write the "Answer the Class" in italic to make it stand out.

Here, the same as before, only in this case we have a real title, and would put "The Flame" in italic. Or mark it with quotation marks, as you like, but in any case so that it stands out as a separate title.

A little typo where the question mark has probably already taken a little holiday.

In summary, a strong beginning. It dragged in places, but I would advise dividing it into two parts (Part 1 and Part 2) instead of trying to shorten something here just to make it fit somehow.

NewHope says...

Hi Namedy,

I hope you're well and have enjoyed reading so far.

I hope even though it is slow that flows well enough to keep the reader's attention.

The start is actually a very important part, Mr Sancho's garden becoming a very well discussed topic a few chapters later. If you have any suggestions of which paragraphs to remove I'd love to hear them. (The paragraph concerning rebirth is needed though.)

The poem is my work and something I've been contemplating a lot. I just don't know if it works out with an elderly male teacher. If you've ever read something like Spud you might a sense that some older teachers can be a little crazy. What do you think?

I have noticed that although I do usually get lots of remarks because of my description that I lack certain areas that could receive more attention. I think that would be the primary basis for the next draft. This is my second draft. It is already a bit too edited and polished for only my second... I should rather concentrate on writing.

About your final notes:
1. I am absolutely confused about when to use italics. Some people use it to highlight words which makes me even more confused. The book is actually a title I may use with an adaption of Stephen King's name.
2. Supposedly you can do it either way. I don't understand what my problem is but I absolutely hate something like: "Where are you?" he asked. There just seems that there is some type of gap and that the question mark doesn't really separate. It is a preferred style that I have researched to make sure it is okay to use.

I really hope it doesn't drag anywhere else rather than the start which you mentioned. If I were to publish do you think I should separate it into two chapters and add more info because I have noticed the lack of time that I take to world build?

Sincerely
Lehmanf

VengefulReaper wrote a review...

Hi, just here to drop a quick review.

I read the prologue too and I will say you really use descriptive language well and I cannot praise it enough. The breathing exercise was a really good way to start off the chapter and an opening chapter for that matter. I wish I had a teacher like Mr. Sancho xD.
I really enjoyed the contrast between the peaceful tone during the breathing exercise to the polar opposite of peaceful in the poem Mr. Sancho wrote.

He clearly has some hate under that relaxing smile. Though your buildup to John asking Sam to the dance was a little short, it was still very well done. The paragraph explaining how much he loved her really elevated the "YES" moment.

Then we cut to the fight between John's parents and I now hate the dad. (Probably what you were going for I guess). It's a tone shift that has a pretty smooth transition from the happy tone at sam's house. So it isn't as jarring as the tone shift from the breathing exercise to the hate poem.

Overall, I think this is a good opening chapter that sets the world John lives in and I am excited to read more.

As always, Thanks for the read and I hope you find this useful.
Reaper.

NewHope says...

Thanks, Reaper,

I really want to thank you for your wonderful comments and that you actually took the time to read all 3500 words. I think some of these reviews are really eye-openers. Mr Sancho is a father figure as it stands and I really love that. Mr Sancho was a grouchy, old man based on my real art teacher, but I really wanted to do the breathing exercises with the guided imagery and well the tone of that section and person just didn't fit. As an academic student I failed art miserably, I swear I'm not that bad. The poem is the first that I've written properly and well my favourite genre is horror.

I'll reread that section building up and see if I can maybe add a tiny bit.

This chapter was very natural to me. I hated Drama, but now do well because I love the new teacher. My crush... hehehe. And finally, I have strict parents, but I haven't heard them fight in how long.

From a grateful, fellow South African,
Frances

NewHope says...

P.S. I'll be posting Chapter 2 in an hour or so. So watch out for that!

Thanks, I'll be looking out for it. Your descriptive writing is really good. I could use some advice from you on my work since I'm new to writing (if you have the time and patience lmao)
I have never read Horror before, so in the words of chancellor palpatine:
"I will be watching your career with great interest"
Reaper

NewHope says...

Hey, Reaper,

To admit to you this is my first novel, but I'd love to read and check your book. I see you've written quite a few chapters of Agent Rider already. I'm writing a review right now and it seems to be taking quite long. I'm also taking an interest in Nostradamus.

NewHope says...

Hey, Reaper,

Sorry about the delay. Strict parents... but the new chapter is up.

We join for the writing and stay for the community!
— Horisun