Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

bitter pill

by soundofmind

A/N: Please listen to the song as you read if you're able. Click here to listen. All the music and singing is done by me!

I learned to read between the lines
of the emotions that you hide
you said what you meant
and I thought that you might
be scared of it

I learned to take a bit of truth
spin it around into a fraction of you
I tried to understand - what could I do
when you said lies, for who?

and I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me
is it so hard to say
what you really think of me
they say the truth hurts
but I think it hurts more to hear
what you think I want to hear

I learned to live between the lies
secrets and masks that kept us blind
we always thought that we knew
what was wrong with us but
we found in time
‘normal’ doesn’t mean right

I’ve learned to uncode my broken ways
they always say the better ones realized that they strayed
and I want to mend things and be brave
but it must go both ways
would you meet me halfway?

and I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me
is it so hard to say
what you really think of me
they say the truth hurts
but I think it hurts more to hear
what you think I want to hear

so I’ve learned to take it as it is
cause I cannot force you to
want more out of this
so I love you where you’re at
even though it pains me to know
you don’t want that
kind of love

SadboyJay wrote a review...

hey @soundofmind jay here to give you a quick review on what i have read in your poem!!!

First off soundofmind at soon i read this poem i im like he can sing so i came here and read this good neat poem and i have some lines that i really like in the poem and I wish
and I wish
could you take a bitter pill
and swallow it down for me
is it so hard to say
what you really think of me
they say the truth hurts
but I think it hurts more to hear
what you think I want to hear like you really did your best and i know you took your time and did what you had to do in this poem and you put the effort in this poem its like a vibe and thats what had in my mind was a vibe to your poem.

Second my compliment to your poem is you made some of the people on this site to sing better and to me you give some the site people some tips on how to sing

3rd how you can improve is that just keep writing poems and singing and recording them cause when i first got on here and when i saw you on the people updates i was like he can sing

4th and what i didn't like was when the poem had no other details in it like something else should goes to that poem like one more thing should of been in the poem to me and i know this is your poem and you do what you want to put in that poem in my own opinion

but have a nice review @soundofmind keep up the good work and hopefully i see you soon with new poems and new songs i im glad i read a poem like yours!!! by jay

Kelisot wrote a review...

Hello, this is Kelisot here, doing a review (because he needs points to publish more stuff and to support writers too!) I've also listened to the music and DAMN, you really have a beautiful voice. And you created the song by yourself. HOLY- I have no words. Creating a song by yourself... it's a dream, but I'm too young to learn all the music stuff... and I don't have the "perfect" hearing for chords and pitches so oof.

So generally, first stanza here.

I learned to read between the lines
of the emotions that you hide
you said what you meant
and I thought that you might
be scared of it

I'm not the perfect English Speaker as it is my second (or third?) language, but generally, what I'm understanding seems to be that the narrator seems to tell our "second" person that they understand them, and they did not tell it due to fear. I also love the rhymes of this song and throughout it generally, and it's making me inspired to write more to lmao.

I'll continue this review later since I'm quite busy with my own personal life too.

Broady771 says...

Hi soundofmind, Broady here. I guess this is more of a comment than a review but jeez that's some really cool stuff you have there! Keep it up! (I apologise, I'm not musically inclined or anything so I'm not really familiar with music stuff but it's really good in my opinion :D)

If you run now, you will be running the rest of your life.
— Reborn