what do you want

by soundofmind

A/N: Please listen to the song as you read if you're able. Click here to listen. All the music and singing is done by me!

what do you want from
all of these ashes?
they don’t have answers for you
can you move on from
such a great loss now?
what are you supposed to do?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

what do you want from
these turning pages
you’re hoping for something new
but life keeps repeating
and the water's receding
what does it look like to push through?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

is it worth the pressure
and pain and resistance
you wonder if you thought this through
did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

what do you want from
all of these ashes?
they don’t have answers for you

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:18 pm
Kz says...

soundofmind I can't get over it. ur music is ahmazing!!!

Kz says...

All though... one quick thing. Sad songs seem to be ur thing... so I had an idea... maybe you could try writing a song when ur angry... so what i do when im REALLY angry is I go for a walk in the field and I sing. I usually go inside and write... thats where most of my good songs come from... "10 out of 10, highly recommend"

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...

Hi! I'm here to drop a quick review.

Note: This is the first time I'm reviewing a song, so sorry if it's not up to the mark.

I loved this song. The tune, the tone, the text... Everything was perfect. And I have to say, you have a great voice. It has that calming effect on me... The lullaby-type effect. The words feel so amazingly comforting and reassuring. Did you write this to comfort someone close to you? 'Cause I don't think it could get that perfect feel if you'd just thought it up. Or maybe that's just me ^_^.

How did you record the chorus part? Did it just sound like that because of some editing, or was it another person? Whatever it was, it was amazing. It sounded so... perfect. I have no other words.

All of those rhetorical questions, too, added to the comforting tone.

I think my favourite lines from the whole song were these:

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye

So good.

Was the lack of capitalization and punctuation intentional?

Overall, this was an absolutely FABULOUS poem.

Keep Singing & Writing!

soundofmind says...

Hey! This is a super late reply, but I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and for listening. I also wanted to take a chance to respond to your questions! :)

Did you write this to comfort someone close to you?

It was a little bit of a lot of things. There were some personal reasons, but it was largely inspired by some characters from a book I'm writing!

How did you record the chorus part? Did it just sound like that because of some editing, or was it another person?

I use garageband, which allows me to layer my voice over my own - so any voice you hear is mine! All sounds in the song were made by me haha.

Yes! Haha, it was.

ANYWHO!!! Thank you again!

Phillauthet says...

No problem!! :D

Coffeeboyjay wrote a review...

hey @soundofmind here to drop off a review on one of your works!!

lets get in to it

First off @soundofmind what i had read one was when you doing and a song and make it as a poem and thats fine cause i love listening to a song that is a vibe and i have a favorite line @soundofmind on your work what do you want from
all of these ashes?
they don’t have answers for you
can you move on from
such a great loss now?
what are you supposed to do and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too this was my line that was a good vibe to listen

Second my compliment from your work and here is my opinion to your work okay @soundofmind it would of been better if you would sing the whole song to us Soundofmind we just want you to be proud of yourself and keep writing

Third how you can improve your work is just keep listening to your support that loves your song while you singing cause to me you doing well and good with your work

FireEyes wrote a review...

Hey sound!! Incoming review!

I was a bit timid to review one of your works because I didn't want to ruin the voice I made up in my head for you. But they literally sound identical and you are such a talented singer! Well, let's get onto the review!

I'll start out with critiques.

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
I always find that rhyming "why" with "goodbye" is really predictable. But I think predictable lyrics are better than a predicable melody because it only comes a few times while the melody is engraved in the whole song.

you’re hoping for something new
and
what does it look like to push through?
Aren't rhythmically off by a songwriting standpoint, but I think more, so the way it's sung. Like you rush through "hoping for" and "It look like to push." But I can't say anything for myself because I'm a trash songwriter, but I find when I do try to write a song, I have parts that aren't rhythmically flowing together with other parts. Maybe you could play around with which parts to put emphasis on.

But I'm done with critiques, let me praise your work! Well, let me tell my interpretation of the song. I am awful at interpretation for songs so don't be alarmed if I get it totally wrong xD

The chorus sounded like a dear companion parting away from you, for better or for worse (seems like worse with the line "I know it hurts to watch them die" or that could be the friendship itself) but you still want them in your life and you still love them. And the verses are you asking rhetorical questions just because you want that contact.

Okay now to my praise! This all mostly has to do with your singing but
but life keeps repeating
and the water's receding
and
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?
The falsetto overlays on the vocals are so chilling like they literally gave me chills! My falsetto is something in my own voice I have to work on but you executed it so well!

did they ever say that to you?
and the hurt in your voice was well put in this line. Did your dear friend ever say any of those things to you? I mean the whole bridge is fantastic!

But that's all I have for today. I hope you found some of it useful! Okay I'm really glad I listened because I would have missed out on a lovely voice to hear sing! Keep on doing what you're doing! Anyway byeeeeeeeeeee<3333

soundofmind says...

This is super late, but I just wanted to say thanks for the review! Love your interpretation of the meaning and lyrics and thanks for listening! <3

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Greetings, my iconic friend!

I'm probably like the least qualified person ever to critique one of your songs, but what I can do is give you my interpretation of it and what it makes me feel and all that good stuff. Besides, it's revmo, and if I'm gonna reach my lofty review goal I'd better start reviewing everything I read. :3

First of all, as always, thank you so much for sharing your songs with us, you angelic-voiced musician you! There's something sooo soothing about each of your tracks, from the gentle strumming to all the hauntingly beautiful harmonizations. I truly adore your music. <3

The soothing quality of this song goes a level deeper than just the melody. The desire to soothe and console is kneaded throughout the lyrics as well, and is reinforced by the tone of your voice.

My best interpretation of the lyrics as a whole is that narrator is comforting - as well as empathizing with - someone who recently had a bad falling-out with a close friend. The narrator, too, has experienced this kind of loss, and comments that this seems to be a repeating pattern in life.

This song could have easily been written from the perspective of the person who is currently suffering, but instead it's from the perspective of the friend or family member. I find this to be a wonderful, ironic detail, because the suffering person must still have a lovely friend in the narrator, who in turn is being completely transparent with their opinions on friendships. I'm probably reading way too much into the possible relationship between these two characters, if they even are concrete characters, but I'm wondering if any of the advice and sympathy that the narrator is sharing could double as comments/concerns about their own dynamic. Like this line:

did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

What if this is something the narrator yearns to ask the suffering friend ("Do you love me?") but is too scared to, in case the answer isn't an adamant yes?

Along this line of thought, here's another interpretation I have when I focus on the significance of the titular lines: the narrator's like, bro, what do you want with a friend who turned their back on you and is as good as dead when you've got me?! Lol again, I'm probably reading way too much into this.

Perhaps - and this is more likely - you're inspired by your OCs! And this song is narrated by you, with all your life experience and friendships and stuff, and you're speaking to a character like James who is undergoing something very similar to what you've gone through.

That just about wraps up my thoughts! I loved listening to this song over and over while typing this up - each time it was more and more gorgeous! The harmonies are absolutely BEAUTIFUL in the final chorus (if "and you don't have to tell me why..." is the chorus).

Keep it up! <3
Wolfi

soundofmind says...

WOLFI ;-; I LOV U AND THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW

My best interpretation of the lyrics as a whole is that narrator is comforting - as well as empathizing with - someone who recently had a bad falling-out with a close friend.

Nail on the head! :)

It is a little more along the lines of this haha - though not exclusively James :,)

But I LOVED hearing you interpretations and I think they're all wonderfully thought out. It's so cool to hear how different people take things.

As for this bit:
did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

It read like this in my head:
person who lost a friend: did they really love me? but how could I ask that?
person who's comforting: did they ever say [I love you] to you?

But I like your interpretation too haha. It gives it a whole 'nother vibe.

Wolfi says...

OKAY YAY! I had a feeling that my initial interpretation was much more correct than the one bred from overthinking xD In any case, more than prose, poetry/lyrics tend to favor openendedness, right? Letting the words mold to the reader's own experience? I don't review poetry much but it seems like the authors tend to be much more interested/amused by interpretations that aren't the "correct" ones. I like that!

soundofmind says...

Yeah! I think poetry and songs lend themselves open to interpretation. I like when people view a song through the lens of their own experience and are able to make it their own :) I like it too!

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates