Home » Literary works » Short Story » Romantic

Ocean waves

by Hikari_hateke

Ever since he could remember, Evan had wanted to be a marine biologist.

He remembers when he first moved near the beach, the feeling of heat on his skin and wind in his light brown hair, the sun, the waves, and there was so much to explore! but most of all he remembers the little crab he had met. the second he'd seen the snapping critter he'd run up to it looking in wonder as it crawled past him and into the sea "mama look!" he'd cried. He remembered the way she smiled at him as he pointed.

"Do crabs come in different colors?"

"What do crabs eat?"

"How big can a crab get?"

He had asked questions all the way home and the more they researched about crabs not only did his interest grow but he found himself fascinated with other sea animals as well.

Clown fish, whales and octopi to name a few. he begged his mom to take him to the beach everyday and she took him every chance she got. She would always smile about it, any time he showed her his new discoveries, she would be just as interested as him, any time he had questions, she was right there to help him find an answer, she had always supported him.

He remembers starting school.

He remembers entering the classroom, being met with so many kids, they all were tanned, and a few sunburnt -most likely from playing outside all summer- he remembers being introduced, his teacher telling him to sit wherever he liked multiple kids tried to call him over their eyes glowing in excitement. His eyes, however, strayed to the back of the class, where a kid was coloring all by himself, he was a lot paler than the others for some reason...the kid looked at him and for a second light and dark brown eyes met before he looked back down.

While all the other kids looked super fun he found himself walking towards the back.

"Hi." He whispered when he sat down looking

"uh...hi" the boy shyly replied back, his long dark brown hair hiding his face as he looked down, Evan subconsciously touched his own shorter hair, he kinda wished his own hair was that long...

"I'm Evan, what's your name?" he asked excitedly.

the kid shifted. "...Im Kade"

It was then that Evan saw Kade's drawing.

"Is that a crab?"

the boy flinched guiltily as if caught doing something bad, he shifted his paper

"uh...yeah it's a crab eating an apple." Kade said hesitantly.

"I love crabs! and apples are yummy, especially chocolate covered apples, those are my favorite" Evan exclaimed happily trying to keep his voice down.

Kade turned to look at him. "yeah, I like the ocean and apples are my favorite." his eyes shifted downwards, "my parents say its just a dumb phase though."

Evan was shocked at this, he fidgeted a little in his seat. "Well it's not just a phase for me, the ocean is cool, it's got all sorts of awesome animals like whales and dolphins, and I'm gonna be a marine biologist so I can study them all when I grow up!" his hands waved a little in the air as he said this.

Kade finally shifted to look at him "what's a marine biolatist?"

"biologist" Evan corrected " that's someone who studies plants and animals that live near the sea"

Kade's eyes lit up, and forgetting his earlier shyness he exclaimed. "That's so cool! I wanna be one too!"

but then he slouched back down, his face contorting into one of sadness again. "But I have to be a doctor, my parents said so...." he looked back at his drawing.

Evan crossed his arms. "Well my mom says you can be whatever you want when you grow up so if you want to be a marine biologist then when you grow up then we can study sea animals together!"

"...really?" Kade looked confused at the prospect of 'being whatever you wanted.'

"yeah!" Evan smiled.

and like that they were best friends, their parents liked each other too so that helped.

they would have sleepovers and playdates -almost always at Evans house- but that didn't matter Evans mom loved it when Kade came over.

Whenever Kade came they would all go to the beach or the Aquarium and play or look at the animals, and even if it was raining his mom would just set up a documentary instead, and though he was shy around Evans mom at first but he soon came out of his shell

he remembers turning 15 and finally being old enough to volunteer at the aquarium, Kade wasn't allowed too; instead his parents had sent him to a private school, determined to get him a scholarship for med school. But that didn't matter, it was only three more years then he and Kade could do whatever they wanted together. 

and besides Evan wasn't allowed to do much at first, helping behind the scenes with some shows and take Supplies from one place to another, and maybe help feed the animals from time to time with supervision, but he still got to learn so much from the other workers and had fun!

When Evan got back he immediately called Kade and told him everything that happened.

"...wow that sounds...fun." Kade said, sounding a bit sad.

Evan frowned. "I'm sorry you have to be at dumb private school, i miss you."

"I miss you too."

"...but remember what I told you? once you move out you can do whatever you want, it's only three more years and then you can be a marine biologist with me right?"

"yeah...I just...." Kade sounded unsure. "Do you think they'll hate me? I mean they're spending all this money so I can be here and-"

"Kade" Evan said interrupting, they had had this conversation a lot over the years, and a while ago his answer would have been 'who cares what they think' but as his mother has explained Kade cared what they thought, they were his parents after all.

"It's your life and your choice, just because your parents want you to be something doesn't mean your required to do it, and even if you decide to become a doctor to please them, if you're not happy then technically they're still wasting their money, you still want to study sea life right?"

Kade made a small sound of agreement "then that's what your gonna do"

Kade went silent on the other line for a second before saying "yeah...yeah I guess you're right" Kade took a deep breath before letting it out again slowly.

"and until then I'll just have to volunteer for both of us!"

Kade chuckled. "thanks Evan."

Evan grinned "anytime dude" Evan looked at the clock "hey it's getting kinda late over here, but talk to you tomorrow?"

"...yeah, night."

"night."

three years passed quicker then he thought, but at the same time also agonizingly slow.

every day he'd call Kade to talk and tell him about his day, and what he'd learn, and ask if Kade was doing alright and just...everything.

but still, he missed talking to best friend face to face…

finally Evan graduated high school! he was 18 and in another Month Kade would be too he was so excited!

The entire month was spent either looking at different colleges or talking to his mother about what he and Kade would do with each other.

Now, he was waiting in the middle of his room, looking at college applications, and trying to figure out which one to go to...the door opened and Evan turned his head expecting his mother to be there to ask what he wanted for dinner.

"KADE!?" and it was Kade. did he look paler then last time he'd seen him? Has his hair gotten longer?

After a moment of shock Evan quickly got up and hugged him. "But I thought you weren't coming till next week?" he said, confused.

"Yeah, my parents were gonna pay for my train ticket...but a friend said she'd do it for me, so here I am" he said, his voice happy but also holding nervous hints to it.

Evan frowned "do you know what you're gonna say to them?" Kade shook his head.

"I don't, I mean...I've thought about it but" Kade took a deep breath.

Evan hugged him again "I'll be right here with you Kade ok?"

Kade nodded "yeah."

"Well this is it!" Evan said, bursting with excitement as he walked into their new apartment and set his suitcase down.

"Can you believe it? we're finally going to college!"

Kade smiled slightly "yeah." he replied.

Evan's smile wavered and he walked over. "You doing ok?" he asked gently. to say Kades parents hadn't taken the news well was an understatement, that night they had decided to wait till the end of summer to tell them Kades decision and instead gone over to Kade's house to surprise them.

the rest of summer went well but of course they had argued when Kade told them he wasn't going to be a doctor, he had looked almost ready to back down but Evan had just grabbed Kade's hand, told them exactly what he'd told Kade multiple times, that it was Kade's life and that the both of them had already been accepted at miami university and walked out of there.

Now a week later they were in their new apartment in Miami, Kades parents had stopped blowing up his phone and had instead grown eerily silent.

"I'm ok," Kade said, tugging at the end of his shirt a little.

"forget about them for tonight" Evan said, guessing what, or rather who he was thinking about. "Let's put our stuff away for right now, yeah?"

Kade nodded.

"Great, now let's get to work!"

and that's how college life started for them, it was fun -well as fun as school could be anyways.

They studied -or helped Kade study as Evan had already learned most of this either by himself or by his volunteer work at the aquarium, got jobs, made a few friends, met some of Kades friends.

years passed and now they were both graduating college.

"Evan Loring."

Evan walked to the platform, eyes shining as his mother cheered from where she was sitting, he looked back to where Kade was sitting waiting to be called up as well, several names were called until,

"Kade quince"

His mother cheered again, sounding just as excited as they both felt, and Kade's eyes also shined as he got his diploma and stood next to Evan.

Evan and Kade got jobs at a sea life research facility, a few years of saving up later they started their own rescue and rehabilitate Aquarium with plenty of shows about raising awareness of pollution...

"Will you marry me?" he asked Kade, one summer, they were at the beach, the one they grew up at, they had been dating for three years now, Kade looked at Even in surprise before smiling widely "yes."

The wedding was beautiful, and at the beach of course where else? and Kade, Kade looked amazing. there was no one else he'd rather have. His mother looked so happy.

...they had invited Kade's side of the family but...Evan pushed that thought to the back of his mind, no matter.

They had been through a lot together, but as they said their vows Evan knew there was no one else he'd rather have had by his side, both then and now.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review! And belated welcome to YWS!!

I really liked this story!! I think the concept of it was really nice. It was so fun to see Evan grow up and follow his dreams; I think the way you traced his path from the first premonitions of his dream to following through and getting married to his best friend was so fun to see. It was a great feel-good story, and reading it made my morning.

I think the messages you presented were so valuable too. The way you portrayed Kade's relationship with his parents was very important. I think you also made it very clear that parents aren't right about everything, and that people can follow their own path. Not having parents that support you can be tough, but I think the way you had Evan tell Kade that he could do whatever because it was his life was so impactful, especially combined with the end where they both have all they want. Despite being a little idealistic, it was just a really nice and happy story. I loved it.

Ever since he could remember, Evan had wanted to be a Marine biologist.

Tiny thing here: "Marine" doesn't need to be capitalized. It's part of the common noun "biologist."

Clown fish, whales and octopi to name a few, he begged his mom to take him to the beach everyday and she took him every chance she got. She would always smile about it, any time he showed her his new discoveries, she would be just as interested as him, any time he had questions, she was right there to help him find an answer, she had always supported him.

I think that the comma after "few" should be a period. Besides that, I think this paragraph is really cute. I love how much his mom supports him.

He remembers starting school.

He remembers entering the classroom, being met with so many kids.

I love the repetition of remembered here. I think it really makes a nostalgic mood of the whole piece. Nice work!!

he remembers turning 15 and finally being old enough to volunteer at the aquarium, Kade wasn't allowed too, instead his parents had sent him to a private school, determined to get him a scholarship for med school, but that didn't matter, it was only three more years then he and Kade could do whatever they wanted together.

This is all one sentence, and it flows a little awkwardly. It's a run-on sentence, and I think breaking it up would be better. I think something like this would work:

He remembers turning 15 and finally being old enough to volunteer at the aquarium. Kade wasn't allowed to; instead his parents had sent him to a private school, determined to get him a scholarship for med school. Evan knew that didn't matter, because it was only three more years until he and Kade could do whatever they wanted together.

You seem to have a lot of run-on sentences in this work, so I'd suggest going through it and looking for them. I think you could also use a grammar program like grammarly, which can be super helpful.

"Kade" Evan said interrupting.

I like the way you paced the dialogue here. I think it shows how their dynamic works. Kade's sentence especially was very naturalistic; I think it worked super well.

Awwwww. This part was super sweet.

Overall: despite some spotty grammar, I think this piece was very sweet and had such a great concept. I hope to read more of your work soon! Until next time!!

Thx! If green planning on editing it (but unfortunately the device i use to write broke so it'll have to wait though I did edit it a bit just now) it's my first original story and im glad people like it! I'll have too see about getting grammerly or something

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:48 pm
JohnKlue wrote a review...

This is your first Published work. A rather ambitious first outing.

This is a rather classic story two rather different people become friends. I am reminded of the movie Luca.

I confess I am partly at a loss for how to review this, Not because its bad quite the contrary this is one of the best thing I as an individual have read on here.
This was written before you knew about the Y.W.S. wasn't it.
The time and care clearly put into this feels akin to an Actor without an audience.

But to stop beating around the bush this is a love story between two boys. I think you did a good job to portraying that however part of me thinks it should have been made more clear earlier in the story because them getting married almost comes out of nowhere at least to me. Don't get me wrong I saw the chemistry But I also spent time worrying that I was interpreting it wrong.
That may be more a personal problem than a problem with your writing but still.

The Marine Biology rather than a Doctor.

The parents wanting their child to be something they don't want to. Is a bit of a cliché and maybe you could have flushed it out a bit more but it dose make sense for this story.
However Marine Biology being held as inferior. I don't get that both professions are scientific and both hopefully pay well.
Also I noticed you would add /// in between lines for some reason. why did you do that exactly?

But I be Darned if I allow a review to be this Negative
so here are some things I really liked.

I was originally reluctant to read a story of this length but it flowed very smoothly. I was never really bored while reading this it kept my attention. Perhaps because of the story's charming simplicity. Speaking of which.

The two main characters are very charming. They are rather different but bound over a common interest (very relatable) I also like how the problem is not them dealing with bullies or anything.
The story is about Kids dealing with growing up. I also see how you imply that Evan was raised by a single mom thats a nice touch.
also

"they had been dating for three years now, Kade looked at EVEN in surprise before smiling widely"

just a small typo

but really

This message here is just incredible. It is based on a kid logic but it is also just so real.
Because kids worry about money too. Kids feel guilty when parents spend money on them.
Even if the parents were not strict or any thing Kade would probably still feel guilty.

This is honestly a really great heartfelt story and Truly an Ambitious first outing.
Keep up the great work.

The this meant a lot! And I based the sister but off a friend (their parents want them to be a foster but she wants to be a paleontologist and they are very disappointed)

So one parents are just so controlling like that wanting everything their way down to the last detail (it's ridiculous)

The lines thing is something i do with fanfiction as a line break so I kinda didn't think about it heh (this is my first original work actually)

Thanks for the review tho!!!

*character, docter (sorry my screen is small lol)

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:46 am
Hikari_hateke says...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
— Martin Luther King Jr.