12+

First love- chapter 1 (revised) and 2 (first draft)

by Froggy

About a month had passed since Lucas's freshman year in highschool started before he started getting distracted by Evelyn in class. Perhaps it was because she had lived next door his entire life, or maybe it was because both of their parents had been friends since college, but Lucas couldn’t think of a single childhood memory where she wasn’t there. They were, as Forrest Gump would say, “like peas and carrots.” They walked to school together, they went to class together, they sat near each other, ate lunch together, waited for each other's clubs to finish, they walked home together, they texted each other at night, they hung out on the weekends. However, something about highschool made Luke look at Evelyn differently.

At first, it was just little glances towards her general area during class or he had thoughts about her wavy brown hair. By September, he would find himself completely focusing on her like she was the only person in the world. He noticed when she smiled, the way she would shake her right leg when she was trying to think of an answer to a question, ...other things.

Though that may have just been his tendency to hyperfixate on things and not necessarily him being interested in her, or that’s what he told himself. He didn’t want to have to deal with the repercussions of first love. After all, he had seen what unrequited love could do to a person. In seventh grade, Evelyn confessed to the boy she liked and was unfortunately rejected. She didn’t hang out with Lucas for a whole week afterwards and it took her two months before she could be within ten feet of her crush without crying. He knew that he didn’t even want to risk feeling pain like that, especially considering his only friend (Evelyn) would be the person to hurt him. Sure there were people in the book club who he thought were nice and all, but as far as friends went, he only had Evelyn.

Evelyn had always listened to him, even when he was talking too much. Unlike Mom, Dad, or anybody else, Evelyn always listened. She may not have always known what Lucas was talking about, but she would always listen intently to whatever he had decided he wanted to ramble on about. Out of courtesy, he listened to her talk too. She mostly talked about volleyball or tv shows she was watching, but that didn’t bother him, he could lower the complexity of his conversations every once and a while if it was for his friend.

“Hey, Lucas,” the teacher said, making Luke lose his train of thought “name three parts of an animal cell.” Luke looked at his teacher with a blank expression. “Come on Luke, we just went over this.”

“Oh Sorry,” he said, still thinking about the right answer while fidgeting with his pen, “I was just processing what you said.” Luke struggled for a second before he remembered 7th grade, when he had taken notes for Evelyn in science, because she couldn’t stop crying. “Um, the mitochondriac-”he blushed a little out of embarrassment. “ Sorry, the mitochondria, the nucleus, and the cell wall.”

“Good answer.” the teacher said quickly and then she moved on to teaching the class again. What was Lucas thinking about? Oh, right. Evelyn, of course, and how he didn’t have a crush on her, her beautiful brown eyes or her pretty smile, her wavy brown hair, or her che-. He caught himself. No, you can’t be thinking like that, you’ll only become more awkward than you already are.

Three hours flew by since their last class together. (not that he was keeping track or anything) Evelyn had about fifteen minutes of volleyball practice until she was ready to go. He watched as she set the ball perfectly to the spikers. He knew how hard that was, he had watched haikyuu!!.

As they walked home together, a conversion began.

“Hey, you seemed a little out of it today. What's gotten you so distracted?” she asked.

You. a tiny voice in Luke's head replied.

“no. nope. nothing in particular.” he choked, obviously distracted.

“Are you sure?” He nodded as she continued, “you know you can tell me anything, right?”

“I don’t really think I can tell you about this one.” he said, immediately regretting his decision to do so.

“Oh? You can’t tell me? Is it about a girl?” Evelyn said teasingly. His face went red with embarrassment. “Wait, really? Who is it? Tell me!”“No” he said quietly

“Come on, please!”

“No, I can’t tell you, since you know them.”

“Hmmm, ok” she squinted suspiciously.

After arriving home and eating dinner, Lucas went straight to his room. Upon entering his room and sitting down, he spaced out. I wonder if I could eat a bee without being stung. In theory I could, but there are multiple complications like is the bee moving or is it dead. I wonder what Evelyn’s doing. Doesn’t she take a shower around this time? Lucas’s mind went to places it shouldn’t for a couple of minutes before he got distracted by another thought. This led him down a rabbit hole of thoughts and all of a sudden it was 11 pm and the lights were now off. He texted Evelyn “goodnight” and then promptly fell right to sleep.

There was a myth in the book club that if you ever needed advice, you could pick out a random book, flip to a random page, and the first word or sentence you read would be advice from the universe. Obviously, this had some logical flaws to it, Luke thought. What if you chose a Stephen King novel and the page you flipped to said “and then he killed all the pets and sent them to the sematary”? He'd obviously never read Pet Sematary before, but he was just a 14 year old kid. You can’t really expect him to have read Stephen King, especially considering he could barely make it through 300 page books. There was just too much uncertainty in this method for him to be comfortable with it. Despite saying that, Lucas often left many decisions to chance.

“The county fair will be held on school grounds on Friday, October 15th.” Lucas’s homeroom teacher said. Everyone knew there were three times you confessed your love at Oak Woods High. Christmas Eve, Valentines day, and the County fair.

“October 15th?” Lucas thought out loud, “That's only a week away!” a couple students giggled as Lucas realised he had said what he was thinking out loud and immediately became very embarrassed.

“You are correct,” The teacher reaffirmed, “that is only a week from today.” Lucas started panicking internally. Should I take her to the fair and tell her how I feel? Do I even know that I like her? Is it too soon? If I do like her and I wait, will I be able to last all the way till Christmas before telling her? Do I have to wait till Christmas to tell her how I feel if I don't do it at the fair? As thoughts continued to race through his head, he began fidgeting with his pen. For some reason, twirling a pen around his fingers often brought him back from his internal panic attacks.

Ok, let's think about each of these questions individually and try to come up with answers. First he answered the last question he asked. No, you technically don’t but it makes the confession a lot less climactic. Then he answered the next question. Well, if our attraction to her keeps on growing at this rate, absolutely not. Onto the next one. How am I supposed to know? He continued his thought process. Well, it would be awfully strange if that wasn’t what was going on. He proceeded to his first question.

He had started thinking about this question at about 8:30 in the morning, but by 2:30 in the afternoon, he still had no clear answer. Normally when he ran into challenges like this, he would ask Evelyn about them, but that was off the table. He had made a pro’s and con’s list (it was mostly 50/50), he had looked it up on the internet(believe it or not, wikihow was not helpful in this situation), he had looked for council in his clubmates in the book club (they were all single and inexperienced too). But the real conflict inside him was one of logos vs. pathos. (logic versus emotion for those out there who haven’t taken AP Language and Composition yet) His head was telling him that there were too many risks, but his heart was telling him it needed to let all of these emotions out. It was like a debate where he was the moderator.

“There are simply too many risks involved in a confession of love.” his logical side would declare, “What if she says no? How awkward would it be having to see her literally every day after that?”

“yes, dat is tru mwister logic man, but has you thought of dis?” logic would look over inquisitively. “I wants to kiss her”

“Damn. That's a good point.” logic would say, “ but what about…” and Lucas would be in the middle, getting pulled back and forth, like the easily influenced teenage boy he was, in this endless game of tug of war.

The bell rang. It was the end of the school day and time for his club. He swiftly left the classroom and began walking through the hallways to the library.

“That seems like the best idea I've come up with all day.” he muttered to himself.

The school library was pretty large. It had multiple rows of wooden bookshelves for each genre. There were four main areas in the library. To the immediate left of the entrance, was the fiction section. It contained fantasy, sci-fi, realistic fiction, just about anything one could desire. To the right was the Non-fiction section. It contained a lot of different types of non-fiction. That was about all Lucas knew about the non-fiction area as he wasn’t overly fond of non-fiction. In the back right of the library was the research area. It contained copies of all the textbooks you may need for classes, as well as collections of studies. It was also the location of computers that could be used to find studies on whatever you may be researching. Occasionally Lucas would go over there because the computer seats were spinny chairs. In the back left of the library was a reading area. It had a couple tables for group studying as well as plenty of comfy chairs.

As soon as Lucas walked into the library, he went to the first bookshelf he could find in the fiction section, and picked up a book. He flipped to a random page and the first line he read was, “and so, not knowing whether or not to confess, she had done what she had always done in these tricky situations, and she confessed anyways”

hi, this was my first ever time really doing creative writing, so please give me any feedback you can.-ISF

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 am
pineapple321 wrote a review...

Hi, Froggy, Pineapple here for a short review!

I really loved this. The thoughts that were running through Lucas' head are what I imagine a boy thinking when he has a crush on a girl! You crafted him to be such a real character, so I applaud you for that. The part that was most creative was when you created this conversation between Lucas and "logic".

It was almost comedic. The reader could tell that Lucas was fighting with himself on what to do about Evelyn. The mention of the pro/con list was the best because I do that all the time, haha! My favorite line was

"and Lucas would be in the middle, getting pulled back and forth, like the easily influenced teenage boy he was, in this endless game of tug of war."

I liked this because it showed that Lucas was having a mental conflict and didn't know what a good decision was.

My only critique would be, are we going to find more about Evelyn? We know about her appearance, but what about her character? What is she like? Is she stubborn, intelligent, funny? Of course, these are just my thoughts, so don't feel like you need to put this in. Just think about that for the third chapter.

Overall, great job! I loved reading this, and I can't wait to see what's next.

Signed,
Pineapple

Froggy says...

yeah, I intend to do more with Evelyn, but I haven't fleshed out her character yet, however, the next chapter there will be a lot of interaction with her and the one after that (or maybe two from now) I intend to really show her character.

pineapple321 says...

Great! I can't wait to read it :)

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Froggy,

Mailice back with another short review! :D

I haven´t seen that you have revised the first chapter, so I´m back with a new review. I will now refer more to other points here than I did in my last review.

I think the two chapters fit together well and give the reader an excellent insight into the sorrows of young Lucas. I particularly like the contrast you show between the chapters. The first is more of an introduction to the introduction of Lucas and the second is a deeper exploration of his character. You've made it entertaining and I think realistic in aspects. What I think you could add a bit more is a more concrete introduction of Evelyn. You've always touched on her a bit now, whether it's the hair or the eyes, but there hasn't been the overall impression of her that the reader gets. Maybe that will come in chapter three? :D

I will not go into further detail here, which I already wrote in the last chapter. You wrote a great intro in general. There are still a few points where you need to pay attention to the punctuation, but otherwise the structure is great.

Some other points I found while reading:

He noticed when she smiled, the way she would shake her right leg when she was trying to think of an answer to a question, ...other things.

I would insert an "or" here after the comma and the three dots. It looks a little too truncated that way.

“Hey, Lucas,” the teacher said, making Luke lose his train of thought “name three parts of an animal cell.”

After the “train of thought” is a comma needed.

I hope you mean a conversation instead of a conversion. :D But I can also stretch it and say, that if they were silent beforehand, one could see the conversion as a new meaning. :D

and the first word or sentence you read would be advice from the universe.

“be an advice” instead of the “be advice”.

Despite saying that, Lucas often left many decisions to chance.

I hope he changes because love doesn't wait for a chance. After this section, it seems as if Lucas is in the school class. I think you're missing the transition here.

Should I take her to the fair and tell her how I feel? Do I even know that I like her? Is it too soon? If I do like her and I wait, will I be able to last all the way till Christmas before telling her? Do I have to wait till Christmas to tell her how I feel if I don't do it at the fair?

I really like the way you've included the thought processes here. I can well imagine that many boys have thoughts like Lucas's during puberty and I think you have portrayed that well. I also like how you try to find the answers later. I love how you portray Lucas in this scene and how he sees love as something overpowering that dominates his whole life, instead of thinking a little further ahead.

But the real conflict inside him was one of logos vs. pathos.

I like the whole section here as you present it. You can really feel Lucas' desperation. I particularly like your sentence here and think it's a crowning conclusion to the narrative structure you've presented in this section.

I would not write it so abstractly here, but leave the dialogue whole in "normal" pronunciation. It seems a bit too childish for my taste and Lucas would certainly think that way, but still have the possibility to think the words correctly.

“and so, not knowing whether or not to confess, she had done what she had always done in these tricky situations, and she confessed anyways”

I like your ending here and how the book brings up the same conflict as Lucas. One question that remains is whether this is from a real book, or did you "make up" the sentence yourself?

In summary, it was a great two chapters. You get a better insight from Lucas with the latest chapter and I just love seeing him so conflicted himself. Why doesn't he just think and ask Evelyn to do something with him? :D

Froggy says...

thank you for your review and feedback! all of this was incredibly helpful. to answer your last question about if the last line was actually a quote or just made up, it was made up. I put it in as a placeholder because I couldn't find a book that I liked enough to include in the last bit. however, I intend (once I get back to my bookshelf[i'm currently in a different state]) to add a legitimate quote instead. I had thought about reusing that quote later on when I try and switch perspectives up a little, but I don't think it really fits the character im trying to switch perspectives to. as for Evelyn. if she seems not fleshed out, that's because she isn't. when I created my initial summary/rough image of the novel when the idea first came to my head, Lucas didn't have a name but a lot of little details that I haven't been able to fully flesh out yet, and Evelyn had a name but a total of four sentences describing her.

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus