z

Young Writers Society



Ms. Opposite

by MayCupcake


Ms. Opposite was just your average school teacher; although, many people acquainted with her would say she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed. Margot had hoped that within her small middle school she wouldn't get Ms. Opposite for math. Unfortunately for her, this was not the case.

The new math teacher, Mrs. Pepper, was hired a year or two before. Pepper quickly became overwhelmed by the obnoxious seventh graders; however, this was not the reason for her decision to quit. Mrs. Pepper's math class was located across the hall from that of Ms. Opposite's. One day, Pepper got out her stack of ungraded papers, her favorite purple pen, and her sticker sheet. She had everything she could possibly need to score her students' work during her planning period. A conspicuous paper airplane flew quietly through the open door and broke Pepper's concentration. The intention of the plane may have been to land perfectly upon Mrs. Pepper's desk, but instead poked the poor teacher's eye... pretty badly. Pepper then was forced to go to an urgent care and ended up resigning; This wasn't the first instance of one of Ms. Opposite's accidents. Ms. Opposite had no intention of harm and just wanted to greet Mrs. Pepper with a note that said "Goodbye!"

Dreading the next hour, Margot walked into her math classroom. She held her binder tightly to her chest and glanced quickly at Ms. Opposite behind the teacher's desk... er in front. All of Margot's classes, including this one, were organized alphabetically. The only difference was that Margot, being an E, got seated in the back due to Ms. Opposite's nature; the whole alphabet was reversed! Margot's classmates filed in before the bell sounded and with a sigh she sat down in her chair. Then, the most ridiculously loud noise filled the room. It was as obnoxious as it was funny to the other students. Everyone's heads turned to Margot, sinking towards the ground.

"Did you guys hear that? Oh my God, was that Margot?" The boys and girls alike snickered. Margot blushed and wasn't quite sure what to do.

"That wasn't me! I'm telling you!" Margot wanted to leave the classroom or better yet disappear. Ms. Opposite stood from her desk in response to the ruckus caused in the previous moments.

"Margot! What's going on back there?" Ms. Opposite held her hands to her hips. Margot didn't say anything. How could someone in their right mind tell the teacher of what the others accused her of transpiring? To Margot's confusion Ms. Opposite started to laugh rather hysterically.

"Sorry, Margot." She wheezed. "I believe I misplaced my favorite whoopee cushion over the lunch break." Oh how Ms. Opposite thought the situation was hilarious! Margot, however, couldn't share even the slightest of amusement. "Could you bring it here? So sorry for the disruption, class. Everyone, please stand at your seats!"

Margot with a twinge of disgust stood and picked up the cushion by the edge. She, still humiliated, moved to the front of the room and laid the toy along the palm of her teacher's hand. As Margot began to take her leave, Ms. Opposite whispered to the girl excitedly.

"Bonus points on today's assignment if you can find my shock pen! I need it for my prank on Mr. Boyce later." Ms. Opposite grinned. Margot turned as she rolled her eyes to not let the woman see. They both returned to their desks for the moment and remained standing. "Alright, everyone! Your assignment and homework are written on the board. You're now free to work!" She said perfectly timed with the school bell. Margot would've been happy to start working... if the board said anything at all. Margot eventually did find the shock pen, but only by accident and the most shocking way possible. At least she got those extra points to boost her grade and Ms. Opposite was able to continue her usual pranks.

When explaining to others of her frustration, Margot frequently described Ms. Opposite's behavior as: right is wrong and wrong is right. She even wrote down the sentence in her math notebook as a reminder. Only the students and staff knew of Ms. Opposite's chaos, so no one else in the world had the help of this reminder.

That day, Ms. Opposite was driving home. A normal occurrence in everyday life. She reached the stoplight near her street as it changed from green to yellow to a vivid red. The few cars to her left stopped, but she did not. Ms. Opposite sped through the light without hesitation. A sudden siren increased in volume as it neared, so she pulled over, concerned. The officer parked and sauntered over to the car's window. He knocked twice and Ms. Opposite, smiling sheepishly, rolled down the glass.

"Hello, Miss."

"Is there a problem, Officer?"

"It seems to me you ran through a red light near a school zone," the officer relayed, "and above the speed limit might I add."

"Red light?" Ms. Opposite was confuzzled at the accusation. Red only signified the ability to not stop and the speed limit was only a guideline... or so how it went within her own mind.

"Yes, Miss."

"I'm truly sorry, Officer, but I don't see what I did wrong?" Ms. Opposite inquired apologetically. It was the Officer's turn to have confusion.

"Again. You drove through a red-" The officer stopped after a thought surfaced. "May I see your license, Miss?"

"Yes, of course." Ms. Opposite said quieter. She rummaged through her purse and retrieved the small card.

"Caroline Opposite." He mumbled to himself, reading the license information. "Let me check the system and then I'll have you on your way." The officer returned to his own car. Ms. Opposite felt a flutter in her stomach and a shake in her hands. She hadn't any idea why this police officer stopped her in the first place.

After a bit of shuffling around papers and looking through the database, the man once again arrived at Ms. Opposite's window.

"It says here that your brother was stopped recently for the same offense."

"Jonathan?"

"Yes, I have a couple questions for you." He cleared his throat and continued. "What does red mean?"

"Go... is this really necessary?"

"Yes, now what does green mean?"

"Stop." She watched as the officer checked some boxes on an unfamiliar form.

"Hmmm... well, it's just as I thought. It seems that it runs in the family."

"What?" Ms. Opposite's eyes went wide with fear. "What is it?"

"You think in the opposite direction from everyone else. No wonder you're having trouble on the road. Here." He handed her the slip of paper that he had been scribbling on. It said to take another driver's education class and to work on her opposite ways.

And hopefully she did, but let's face it. People rarely change.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
185 Reviews


Points: 12987
Reviews: 185

Donate
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 pm
View Likes
FireEyes wrote a review...



Hello MayCupcake! Incoming review!

Oh my, your premise for this short story is so fun. You really suspended my disbelief in how a person, or in this case a whole family, can run in this world doing everything opposite. I have a tendency to point out logistical and scientific errors in movies and books, but you didn't make a me question for a second how she manages in this world. Great job with that! I also appreciate your backstory about Ms. Opposite with Ms. Pepper. It just shows more shenanigans and gives more insight to how Ms. Opposite operates. It makes me wonder if Ms. Opposite is formal at home by herself. You really piqued my interest in Ms. Opposite XD. One other thing you excelled at was dialogue. Your really nail the aspect of making it feel natural. And the conversation with the officer really feels like the cop is trying to keep it professional and Ms. Opposite sees nothing wrong.

One thing I just found out of the ordinary was how the introduction and third paragraph elude to Margot being the main character in this story, and Ms. Opposite would be the antagonist in a way. I was slightly taken off guard when I was reading about Ms. Opposite driving home without Margot in the picture anymore. It just seemed crooked but it still works in the story. You don't have to change it if you don't want to ;).

But that's all I have for today. I hope you found it useful. I like this satire sort of story and I think you'd excel at writing more of it. Please keep on writing! Anyway byeeeeeeeeeeee<3




MayCupcake says...


Thanks so much for the review, FireEyes!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 105
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:44 pm
View Likes
Rohit123 says...



I really enjoyed the whoopee cushion scene, it was quite funny.
Another thing I really enjoyed was that instead of directly revealing how Margot found the shock pen, you imply that she was electrocuted by it.

although, many people acquainted with her would say she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed.

It's a bit confusing here because the text says that many people think Ms. Opposite is not an average teacher but it also specifies that only one student thinks so. It could be improved to be something like this. "Ms. Opposite was just your average school teacher; although many of her fellow teachers would say she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed."

In the second paragraph, isn't it a bit funny that the note said goodbye when Ms. Pepper was going to be saying goodbye to the school for a long long time?

The officer parked and sauntered over to the car's window. He knocked twice and Ms. Opposite, smiling sheepishly, rolled down the glass.

Over here, why is Ms. Opposite smiling sheepishly? Smiling sheepishly usually implies knowing that you did something wrong, but Ms. Opposite never shows any sign of knowing that red really means stop and that exceeding the speed limit is against the traffic rules.

Overall: The story is very funny and interesting, apart from little things that could be improved here and there, the story is great!




MayCupcake says...


Thanks for the review, Rohit123!



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 105
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:38 pm
Rohit123 wrote a review...



I really enjoyed the whoopee cushion scene, it was quite funny.
Another thing I really enjoyed was that instead of directly revealing how Margot found the shock pen, you imply that she was electrocuted by it.

although, many people acquainted with her would say she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed.

It's a bit confusing here because the text says that many people think Ms. Opposite is not an average teacher but it also specifies that only one student thinks so. It could be improved to be something like this. "Ms. Opposite was just your average school teacher; although many of her fellow teachers would say she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed."

In the second paragraph, isn't it a bit funny that the note said goodbye when Ms. Pepper was going to be saying goodbye to the school for a long long time?

The officer parked and sauntered over to the car's window. He knocked twice and Ms. Opposite, smiling sheepishly, rolled down the glass.

Over here, why is Ms. Opposite smiling sheepishly? Smiling sheepishly usually implies knowing that you did something wrong, but Ms. Opposite never shows any sign of knowing that red really means stop and that exceeding the speed limit is against the traffic rules.

Overall: The story is very funny and interesting, apart from little things that could be improved here and there, the story is great!




MayCupcake says...


Hey, did you mean to post the same review twice?



Rohit123 says...


Hi, no I only posted once. Not sure why it shows twice.



MayCupcake says...


Hmm, weird lol



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi MayCupcake,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

I don't know what I expected when I started reading the story, but it was worth it in the end. It was a nice, short story with a lot of humour and the twist at the end with that meaningful sentence that we humans can't be changed anyway. It makes me wonder how Ms. Opposite ever got her driving licence in the first place, with that line of thought.

Some points I found while reading:

You start with a very good introduction, where you immediately ask the reader a question and try to answer it partly with the characters from your story. This is a successful beginning and lets the reader dive into the world right away.

One day, Pepper got out her stack of ungraded papers, her favorite purple pen, and her sticker sheet.

It´s just a quick little detail, but these details make stories way more intriguing and vivid. In this case it is “her favorite purple pen.” Details like these makes persons from stories alive and interesting. One can imaging them better, what helps making a story worth reading.
Ms. Opposite had no intention of harm and just wanted to greet Mrs. Pepper with a note that said "Goodbye!"

Until now I thought it this paper plane accident was caused by a student, but that Ms. Opposite was the evil-doer was very funny. A really great way to say Goodbye to someone. :D
She, still humiliated, moved to the front of the room and laid the toy along the palm of her teacher's hand.

This is probably a bit nitpicky, so you can ignore it. I would rewrite the second half a bit, because I think you don´t need to clarify that it´s the hand. You could simply write “Along her teacher´s palm.”
"Bonus points on today's assignment if you can find my shock pen! I need it for my prank on Mr. Boyce later."

Wish I had a Math Teach like her back in school. Mine was a hunter who always thought that it would be funny to shot us with an imaginary shotgun, when doing a mistake in front of the class. :D
Margot eventually did find the shock pen, but only by accident and the most shocking way possible.

A short but funny way to describe it. :D
Only the students and staff knew of Ms. Opposite's chaos, so no one else in the world had the help of this reminder.
That day, Ms. Opposite was driving home.

The transition from this section to the next is a little too hasty, I think. I think a short rewrite would help it sound better already. :D
Ms. Opposite was confuzzled at the accusation.

Is “confuzzled” really a word? My Internet search says Yes and I like it. :D

It was really a great story. I liked it a lot, from the plot, but also from your structure, how you managed to build the explanations into the plot to get to know Ms. Opposite better. You wrote a great structure and good sentences and it was generally a lot of fun to read the story. I liked how the ending was so open-ended and you addressed a very exciting topic with a humorous twist.

I like how Ms Opposite is portrayed and how she also doesn't even realise what she does differently from the others. I think that is well portrayed.

I liked the story a lot.

Have fun writing!

Mailice.




MayCupcake says...


Thanks so much for the review, Mailice!
1.Yes, confuzzled is a word lol and one of my favorites.
2.Yeah, I'm going to work on rewriting some things to help flow and clarity, since I typed all of this out at once yesterday and didn't look over it very much.
3. I'm glad you enjoyed my story!



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 22538
Reviews: 245

Donate
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:30 pm
View Likes
Spearmint wrote a review...



Hiya, mint here for a review! ^-^ Overall, I thought this was a great short story, with hilarious characters and dialogue. One of the most interesting parts to me was when the police officer said that it runs in the family. So, now I'm wondering what a family reunion of the Opposites would look like... :P

Alright, now for some comments on specific parts of the piece:

The intention of the plane may have been to land perfectly upon Mrs. Pepper's desk, but instead poked the poor teacher's eye... pretty badly.

Ouch... that sounds super painful... I'm wincing on Mrs. Pepper's behalf right now. :'(

Pepper then was forced to go to an urgent care and ended up resigning; This wasn't the first instance of one of Ms. Opposites accidents. Ms. Opposite had no intention of harm and just wanted to greet Mrs. Pepper with a note that said "Goodbye!"

Ah yes, probably better for Pepper to move to a different school. :]
Oh, and just a super tiny thing; after a semicolon, the next part of the sentence doesn't have to be capitalized. So, you could just do: "...resigning; this wasn't..." Or, in this case, it might work better to just split it into two sentences and use a period instead. C:

The only difference was that Margot, being an E, got seated in the back due to Ms. Opposite's nature; the whole alphabet was reversed!

Hm, I think this seating could actually be pretty good! The poor kids whose last names start with "A" are always getting picked to go first... might be a nice change for them to go last. ^-^ Perhaps Ms. Opposite isn't such a bad teacher after all?

"I believe I misplaced my favorite whoopee cushion over the lunch break." Oh how Ms. Opposite thought the situation was hilarious!

Ah, never mind... Pranks are good and all, until you're the one being pranked. xD

"Bonus points on today's assignment if you can find my shock pen! I need it for my prank on Mr. Boyce later." Ms. Opposite grinned.

Oh dear, a shock pen too? Is Ms. Opposite really qualified to be a teacher? >.> It seems like she's setting a rather chaotic example for her students...

"It seems to me you ran through a red light near a school zone," The officer relayed. "and above the speed limit might I add."

Just a couple punctuation things here! After the "...zone," the 'T' in "The" doesn't have to be capitalized. And since you didn't capitalize the 'a' in "and" either, I think you can replace the period after "relayed" with a comma. So, it could look something like this: "It seems to me you ran through a red light near a school zone," the officer relayed, "and above the speed limit might I add."

"Caroline Opposite."

Ooh, I had a thought here: what if you made Ms. Opposite's first name backwards? Like "Enilorac" or something? :P Totally up to you, though, just something I thought would be cool!

"Go... is this really necessary?"

XD I love how Ms. Opposite is so clueless about what she's doing opposite.

And hopefully she did, but let's face it; People rarely change.

Super tiny thing here: I think the semicolon would work better as a colon, and the 'P' in "People" could probably be lowercased. "...but let's face it: people rarely change."
Or, you could do: "...but let's face it. People rarely change." (If you want the last sentence to have more emphasis.)
Ah, but regardless of punctuation or anything, I think this was the perfect ending to your story! It gives the readers a sense of conclusion, while also leaving them with the very true message that it's difficult for people to change.

Overall, this story reminded me of the "My Weird School" series or "Sideways Stories from Wayside School"-- it had the same humor and silliness that made those books so fun to read. Awesome job with this and I hope you keep writing! Have an amazing day/night!! =D




MayCupcake says...


Thanks for the review and the edits, Mint!
I'm so happy you enjoyed it!



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 32

Donate
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:38 pm
View Likes
TheWarriorMingan wrote a review...



Hello May! I'm here for another review!

I found this story funny. Especially then end:

And hopefully she did, but let's face it; People rarely change.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:
Margot would've been happy to if the board said anything at all.

Here, the word 'to' needs to be changed to 'too' as in 'also'. Just a simple spelling mistake!
"What?" Ms. Opposite's eyes went wide with fear. "What is it?"

This is my favorite part. Ms. Opposite has NO clue. lol
Red only signified the ability to not stop and the speed limit was only a guideline... or so how it went within her own mind.

Now I realize she is not like this on purpose.
Ms. Opposite was just your average school teacher; although, everyone acquainted with her would say that she was anything but average... and only one of her students agreed.

This sentence confuses me, I wasn't sure what you meant. . . Maybe I read it wrong. Because it says 'everyone', but then it says 'only one of her students agreed'. Wouldn't her other students be part of the 'everyone'?

Overall: Funny story!Ten stars for the police officer, he's super smart!

-Sincerely, Mingan

Follow your heart and noting will go wrong. (concerning writing)




MayCupcake says...


Thanks for the review, Mingan!
1. I meant that Margot would've been "happy to work" and not "happy too", so thank you for pointing this out! I changed it a little to make it more clear.
2. I meant people in general, but more specifically that only one of her students thought so too. I'll fix that so it's not as confusing.
3. I'm glad you liked it! :D




"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein