The Candle

by IntrovertedIcarus

The Candle

Everyone meets a candle in their life.

Full of warmth and full of strife.

Their smiles can light up a room.

But when it goes out they radiate gloom.

Regardless of the light that beckons.

Get to close and you’ll burn in seconds.

You’ll do anything to see their light.

Make sure they’re doing alright.

Bringing yourself to the brink of destruction.

Caught in the web of a waxy construction.

So easily drawn to the flame.

And when they burn out you take the blame.

All you want is their warm embrace.

Though you understand that won’t be the case.

You can’t avoid them and their blanket of heat.

Just to be close feels like a treat.

Without their light, you feel like a goth.

Because if he’s the candle I guess I’m the moth.

Hkumar wrote a review...

I really liked your poem. It was short and had a good impact. The theme you chose was very relatable and had a good message. It described our inclination to go towards something that can cause you harm, yet you experience a natural urge to do this.Just as a burning candle flame could kill a moth, some of the things that you want to do or places you desire to go may prove to be inherently fatal, though they may appear to be very attractive and inviting. Keep writing like this.....

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:51 pm
looseleaf wrote a review...

This poem was AMAZING!! I absolutely loved reading it. The plot and theme is great. The title is awesome, even though it is so simple, I thought it would be a piece about an actual candle. Boy, was I surprised! This poem was very easy to read and flowed very well. Your grammar, punctuation, and spelling was great, I didn't catch any mistakes. Keep on writing and have a very Merry Christmas!

Thank you, I really appreciate the review. I'm glad you liked it =D

stinasobi wrote a review...

So I lovvveee the idea here, and the sense of attraction and popularity you accurately describe with the people you call candles. It's a Brilliant metaphor that you've nailed marvelously! One thing I'd change though, is making it less wordy and shortening the lines. Like when u say they light up a room, take out can and a and just say they light up rooms or something like that. But honestly that's it, it's a great poem ;) <3

Thank You! I'm really glad you liked it =D

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:45 pm
brookeallo wrote a review...

I loveee this so much. The last line was so powerful and made me get like relationship vibes where he's basically like the candle and your just a little moth that keeps flying around him. The poem was so well written. It had a great rhyme scheme and lots of good vocab. A lot of the lines were really powerful. I think its really cool how you used a candle and a moth to depict this I ould have never though of that and it works very well for symbolizing. Thanks for writing I hope to read more from you soon:)

Thank you, that's exactly what I was going for. I'm glad you liked it =D

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:44 am
EverLight wrote a review...

EverLight here with a review! This review is not intended to offend or hurt you or make your novel or poem seem bad, but be warned you may feel offended anyway

First Impression
Well! It's lovely to see new members posting their first work! I'm honored to be one of the first reviewers you get to know <3. (Not constructive I know.)
Anyway I thought this was very unique, and you do have some wise things to say here.

Grammar & Punctuation.
You have no issues I could see. Nice going!

Style & Flow
There were a few things I thought could be changed-

Their smiles can light up a room.

I think that would sound better this way-
Their smiles can light up a room, or radiate gloom

See the difference?

Regardless of the light that beckons.

Something about the secant line didn't sound right to me. Maybe try starting it like this?

Regardless of the light that beckons
You burn in secants...
you can decide what goes after.

You’ll do anything to see their light.
Make sure they’re doing alright.

I don't know if those lines match up, maybe try adding the word to before the word make?

That was perfect <3

So easily drawn to the flame.
All you want is their warm embrace.

I'd remove the ''so easily drawn to the flame''

Awesome job! <3

Just to be close feels like a treat.

That's the first time you actually mention a ''he''

One thing I'd work on is getting your thoughts in order because somehow I have the feeling their all over the place...especially because you ended with this line-

I'd either try to change that, or rewrite the poem using First-Person (''I'') perspective.

I thought you did a nice job! This was an enjoyable read, and please post again! <3

EverLight says...

Your welcome <3

she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake