z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Haiku on Death in the Family and Reactions of Those I Love

by Aley


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Kiss my ass dipshit,
I'm sick of "It will be fine;"
winter wonderland


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 103

Donate
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 am
Samhain wrote a review...



I suppose it is a bit hard to review on three lines of poetry, but here I am with a review to get my third review star! I'll just say that the first line is very expressive... it really is like an explosion of a gamut of emotion that could come from the explanation in the title. These four explicit words can be interpreted in very different ways depending on who is reading it. I never thought anyone could write a haiku with curse words, but you did it! Thumbs up.
The second line is very solemn and connecting. It draws the reader into what you are feeling and thinking after such an event as described in the title. This is sort of the line that spells things out in a coherent manner. First line, explosion, second line, you calmed down...
Now the third line. I'm a little stumped. What does winter wonderland have to do with anything? Maybe it is just something peaceful to distract the reader from the darkness of the first two lines. Maybe it is the narrator distracting themselves. Maybe it represents nostalgia. Maybe it was random and I'm reading into it too much... we'll see.
This is by far the most unique haiku I've seen before. Two thumbs up.




Aley says...


Oh my god congratulations on your third star! That's huge!

So you're right about the emotional content all being in the first and second line. The third line is a placeholder because haiku have to have some nature word in it and I was watching a movie called Isle of Dog and they had three haiku in the movie that really helped inspire this style. Basically they had the haiku that was very straightforward, and then threw on some imagery of nature at the end, so basically it was a senryu with a line dedicated to nature to force it into the haiku category, sort of like a "Woops, we're missing this condition, let's tack this on" sort of thing.

Here, this is one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7bpIbnS7JA I just really loved it, so I did it myself. Either way, it's totally valid to feel like it's throw away and not really something that matches. I did pick winter for a specific reason, but I could do something more descriptive.



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 am
View Likes
alliyah says...



Hey Aley, saw this and thought I'd leave a little comment.

The bitter edge in this is done well and the contrast between the first two lines and then the "winter wonderland" line is excellent - because it's so dissonant. The reader gets a sense on how off-putting the attempts of people trying to console really sounds to the speaker. I also love that you don't give away everything in the title. So much is said after someone experiences tragedy, so all those difficult phrases and emotions go through the reader's mind - and then they're met with this anger (line 1), uselessness (line 2), and the sarcastic? irony? in line 3. It's a nice piece on what grief and loss feels like, that could be informative to people who've tried to throw the "It's fine" out to people who don't want to hear that in their grieving.

I think I'd put a period or exclamation mark at the end for a sense of finality. But I like what you've done here. <3 - alliyah




Aley says...


I decided against any end punctuations because haiku are a moment, not a complete ended thing. Thank you so much for the thoughtful interpretation!!



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Aley. You pointed your poem out to me a couple of days ago, but I just managed to get around to some new reviews. Also a bit surprised that you haven't gotten any reviews on this just yet. I'm thinking that it might be a combination of how short this piece is and also the final line, which doesn't automatically match with the rest of the situation.

Kiss my ass dipshit,

It's an explicit thought.
Four words to cover the whole deal.

We come to the common issue of packing a lot in a little bit of space and overall, this is done effectively. The first line comes off a bit harsh but I'm expecting that mood with everything in this poem. That's me talking based off just the title, which is yes a bit wordy but at least it covers all the points of the narrator's emotions.

My main reaction to this line was just laughing? That's cycling into how I've processed a lot of my grief and also directly associated the writer as the narrator. I forgot you were capable of cursing.

I'm sick of "It will be fine;"

Even without the talk I had with you about this, obviously this line combined with the title is talking a bit about grief. I've been in the situation of grief continuously for too many years and the sentiment of how people try to force it to be okay is really resonating with me. It's the perfect line for the reader to understand how the narrator feels, and all of the emotion that comes flooding through with hitting the end.

To me, it's very mixed to read the partial stop because I can see that you just now got rolling. Still it's not feeling quite right being there? I rarely comment on how a line ends, outside of asking for some damn punctuation, but I just got hung up on this section.

Alright one more section and then you'll be done with me.

winter wonderland

I'm sure there's a greater meaning to including a phrase like this, maybe a thought about the scene others are trying to paint or just what the narrator is surrounded by. There's a lot of ways to go with this but a thought that sticks out to me is it acting as a last throw away attempt for this to be a "haiku". It feels like there is something else to this, probably a personal sentiment. To me, at the current moment, it just feels like a scape goat line.

And I think that's really all of the commentary I have for you. It's definitely just commentary over an actual critique.

If you want to talk about this review, you know where to find me.
- Lizz <3




Aley says...


Thank you so much for your review. I really find that you're spot on in your analysis of it.




I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil