HWYD Chapter 1

by Que

August 19 • Monday

“Hello. This blog wasn’t my idea; my therapist told me I should keep a journal before I moved, but no one keeps a journal anymore, so I thought I’d try this instead.” Mentioning a therapist in the second sentence? Abominable. Scratch that.

“If I had one wish, I’d go back to California, but it looks like I’m here in Wyoming instead.” An utter lie, and the truth was unbearable.

“Poll: What’s your favorite animal? I’ve got a rabbit—maybe they aren’t quite as good as a sibling, but they’re pretty fun to have around.” What kind of junk was this? Nothing that need ever show up on the internet under his name.

Finnley looked at the spread of notebook paper littering his desk. He didn’t have the heart to cross out any of the possibilities, but they were all absolutely rotten. Maybe he wasn’t a half bad writer, but blogs were entirely out of his territory. Even essays weren’t really his style. If only, he thought wryly, I could write blog posts entirely in poetry. It had crossed his mind earlier, but the verses he had planned on opening the blog with only made it as far as the paper, just like all the other terrible starts.

Just thinking of terrible starts made him groan and slump down in his chair, pull the hood of his sweatshirt over his head. The blog wasn’t the only thing Finnley was due to start that day. It was time to start school. As if to punctuate that thought, his mom knocked sharply on the door.

“Finnley? Finnley are you up yet?” she called from outside his room. Her voice was muffled by the door, by the scattered stacks of cardboard boxes that Finnley didn’t have the heart to unpack.

“Yes, Mom,” he dutifully called back. He had been up since three in the morning and was already fully dressed, but his mother didn’t need to know that. Goodness only knew how much she already fretted over Finnley—he didn’t need to give her another reason to.

“That’s wonderful! The school is close enough to walk, I know we went there once before, but I mapped it out for you because you might have forgotten by the time you’ve done a whole day of school…” Finnley tuned out the rest of what she was saying and stretched his arms over the back of the chair to crack his back.

“Make new friends,” she was saying as he pulled himself out of his chair and threaded his way between the boxes on the floor. Finnley snorted softly. She made it sound as if a new school was a new chance at life, but he hadn’t made friends since he was a little kid. The phrase was by no means a new one, and just as it didn’t help then, it wouldn’t help now.

“Good morning,” he said, opening the door. Realizing that the words came out more sourly than intended, he pulled the corners of his lips up in a smile that was put on just for his mother.

“Finnley!” she said warmly, and his smile took on an air of sincerity. Her eyes fell from his face to his favorite sweatshirt and jeans and her lips curled into a small frown. Here it comes. “Are you really wearing that on the first day of school? Don’t you want to make a good first impression? Besides, Finnley, it’s eighty degrees out there today, I wouldn’t want you to overheat.”

“I’ll be just fine,” Finnley replied, but the moment was already ruined. As he turned to shuffle back into the room, his mom leaned against the crooked door frame, eyes turned from scolding to worrying. Over the years he’d had his fair share of both, but the worrying was still hardest to hear. He held in a sigh as he waited for her to come out with it.

“Of course, I understand if you just want to lie low for a little while. I’d love for you to find some kids your age, but, well… maybe it’s better to focus on your classes for now. I know it was hard on you last year.”

That didn’t help. Every time she said the words “last year”, tiny slivers of memory kept trying to resurface in Finnley’s brain. This time: a flash of a smile, even teeth. Bags already packed to go. He shoved the images down before more could follow. In the strained silence that had descended, his mom gave a little cough.

“Yeah, classes,” Finnley said, a little stupidly and too late for the natural flow of conversation to resume. “I’m glad we, er, decided to take it down a notch this year, but I’ll still need to study.”

She nodded. She didn’t look very satisfied, but she nodded. Unfolding her arms, she checked her watch and a fresh wave of concern passed over her face. “It’s time for me to go—time for you to go, too. You’ll be alright getting to school on your own?” She wouldn’t say it, didn’t want to prevent him from making his own choices, but she wanted to know that he’d change clothes, that he’d try to make a good impression.

“Sure,” Finnley replied. To both questions. He didn’t want to try and dress nice, to try and act nice, but it would take a load off his mother if he did. That made it worth it to him. She nodded once more, still uncertain, and then hurried down the stairs. Finnley listened to the front door creak open and shut, followed by the quick slam of the car door. Finnley poked through a few boxes before finding the one filled with his nicer clothes. Mostly untouched. There hadn’t been much occasion for them; hadn’t been much occasion to go outside at all. He was reluctant to abandon his sweatshirt, which had become a sort of shield for him, but it was too hot for that in any case.

Leaving the grey curtains at the window shut despite the light streaming through them, Finnley slung his backpack over his shoulder and clattered down the stairs. It wasn’t Finnley who was noisy, just the stairs. Another thing to get used to in this house. He couldn’t quite call it his own, not yet.

It was not actually eighty outside, but if Finnley had to guess, it might get that hot around one or two in the afternoon. In California, he called those the indoor hours, but it made little difference because he so rarely did anything outside.

He would never admit it to his mother, but he had in fact already forgotten the way to school, and was actually grateful for the directions she wrote down. As he wound his way out of the neighborhood, a pine forest rose up on one side. Dark and majestic, the trees stood straight and tall just a little ways from the sidewalk. Finnley paused to admire them for a moment, to breathe in the scent of pine. Some things here were still the same as home.

As he continued on, however, his nerves began to get to him. Probably something he’d inherited from his mother. His skin prickled and his hands began to fidget. He looked to the forest again for comfort, for solace, but found none there. Finnley sighed and hit his head lightly with his hand to remind himself: It was going to be a perfectly normal day—he would slide into this town unnoticed and unbothered. It was what he was good at.

Pomeroy wrote a review...

Hey hey! I saw your third chapter in the Green Room and figured I'd start from the beginning.

I couldn't find any typos or anything throughout, so kudos to you for posting something so polished! I absolutely loved this. Finnley is already such an interesting character; he seems sweet and sensitive and as though he has well intentions, but doesn't quite know how to navigate it because of whatever trauma happened "last year," as well as being kind of a moody teenager, haha.

His relationship with his mom is so refreshing. Most media depicts mothers and their teenagers as completely toxic and dysfunctional. And while they might be a little bit of the latter, he doesn't lash out at her or scorn her for caring, and I really enjoyed that.

I'm legitimately excited to read the next couple of chapters!! Sorry I don't have much criticism, so I hope you're fine with me just giving you high praises.

Keep up the good work!

- Pom

Que says...

Thanks for the review, and the praise! This is my second draft, which is why it probably seems polished, but feel free to grill me on anything (if you keep reviewing the later chapters) so I can continue to make it better. :) Thanks again! <3

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya Q! So excited that you've started redrafting this!

Small Comments

I really like this as an opener! I wonder if having a line break might help, and you could have a kind of dash thing to communicate a sort of abrupt stop. Just an idea. It could look something like:

Hello. This blog wasn’t my idea; my therapist told me I should keep a journal before I moved, but no one keeps a journal anymore, so I thought I’d try this instead--”

Mentioning a therapist in the second sentence? Abominable. Scratch that.

Up to you, though! Just think the formatting might make it clearer.

“Finnley? Finnley, are you up yet?” she called from outside his room.

Just a suggestion, but the lines I've crossed out feel a bit...I don't know, kiddy? I think it's just telling too much. If you skipped straight to the conversation with his mum, it would quickly become clear that he had to start school, so it's a bit redundant to say it here.

“Make new friends,” she was saying as he pulled himself out of his chair and threaded his way between the boxes on the floor.

I find it odd that they're having this conversation through the door. When I first read it, I pictured his mum as having come into the room, so it was jarring when I realised she hadn't.

Realizing that the words came out more sourly than intended, he pulled the corners of his lips up in a smile that was put on just for his mother.

It's fairly evident that he's faking it, so there's no need to clarify it.

Overall Thoughts

Like Blue, I can't really remember the original opening chapter to this, but from what I can recall it's a definite improvement. I absolutely love that you start with interruptions in the blog post - it's such a great way to convey some exposition, because it feels naturally and it also allows you to show character. His sister's death also feels much more present in the scene. I remember criticising you a lot in the last draft because I felt like Finnley's grief didn't come through enough, but it's definitely here in this opening. He's trying to suppress it, obviously, but you can feel it simmering under the surface and shaping how he acts and thinks.

My only real concern for this chapter is Finnley's mum's dialogue. She's a little cookie-cutter at the minute - it feels like you're writing according to the Concerned Mom stock character rather than really thinking about her as an individual, which makes some of the dialogue flatter than it should be. I'd love to see you push the tension between her and Finnley a bit further. It's definitely better than it was in the first draft, but the underlying grief is the only thing that's keeping this scene from being the generic Kid Starts At New School opener, so make sure it's present and felt.

The bones are all there, and I can see how much you've reworked this. It's definitely paying off. Finnley feels stronger from this introduction, and it's more engaging as an opening. You could probably do a bit of trimming here and there to make the whole thing a little pacier, but that's small stuff. I think the main thing is just to make sure Finnley's mum (Mrs Bale? Was that her name?) comes across more like her own person rather than a stereotype.

Looking forward to reading more, though! It'll be great to read this again - especially seeing as I never got to see the end of the first draft! :P

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Que says...

Thanks for the review! :)
"I find it odd that they're having this conversation through the door. When I first read it, I pictured his mum as having come into the room, so it was jarring when I realised she hadn't." uh. apparently I didn't realize that either! :,)
I'll work with Mrs. Bale! Her relationship with Finnley is nothing like mine with my own mom, so it's a little hard to dig into what she's actually like.
Also you never saw the end of the first draft because stuff went down and I still don't know if I like the way it all happened. XD And I was trying to write 20,000 words in a week, so as you can imagine, they were... low quality. But actually having an end in mind really changes how I direct the characters! So hopefully on a whole the novel will be a little more purposeful.
Thank you so much again!! <3

Oh my gosh, can I just??? Like okay admittedly I don't remember a ton about the original, because it was almost two years ago that I read it, but I can tell you that based on what I do remember, WOW THIS IS SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT!

Okay, so let me just walk you through the things I thought made this such a stronger first chapter.

The interruptions to the blog post! I like how instead of just getting a lump of blog post text, we get false starts interrupted by Finnley's thoughts about how stupid they all are. It's more interesting than the initial blog post, even if his thoughts about how stupid it was followed it. And then it also gives us, like, immediate insight into Finnley's thoughts beyond a semi-generic blog post, plus starts to hint at what's going on: he's got a therapist; he's lying about longing to go back to California but can't stand the truth.

From there, we get further hints about what's going on from Finnley's interaction/noninteraction with his mom and the way he navigates his room. We see the packing boxes full of stuff he hasn't yet unpacked, the way he's essentially living in a sweater (and presumably sort of a ratty old one, given his mom's reaction to it), the memory of packed suitcases. So even though we've got what is on the surface a totally normal interaction for a teen's morning, we get drawn in by this feeling that there's something terrible underneath it, or possibly multiple terrible things.

Finally, you do a great job weaving tension throughout this scene. Again, even though this is an ordinary scene, it's not boring - it's filled with tension as we see Finnley try to sidestep either worrying or being scolded by his mother, her concern for him, his concern for her, and their mutual attempt to avoid talking or thinking about their whole reason for being here. I also love this moment as a quick and easy way of continuing the feeling of unease/discomfort:

Finnley slung his backpack over his shoulder and clattered down the stairs. It wasn’t Finnley who was noisy, just the stairs. Another thing to get used to in this house.

Overall, a much stronger first chapter and one that simultaneously manages to set up a "normal day in the life of" and to start cluing readers in that all is not as it seems.

aren't you glad I basically forced you to post this by changing your "maybe" to a "definitely"

Que says...

Thank you so much Blue!! <3
I think it's a lot stronger too. (Though we'll see about the rest of the book) "living in a sweater" is the most accurate thing I've heard and I love that description of it. Ahhhh your review gives me so much hope! I am super glad that you changed my maybe to a definitely. :) I'll let you know when I post another~

BluesClues says...

HooRAY ugh I'm so glad you're posting again, even if sporadically.

Shady wrote a review...

Hey Querencia!

Shady here with a review for you this fine evening! My style tends to be to make comment as I'm reading about anything that stands out to me (both positive and negative!) and then give a general overview of my thoughts at the end. Let's get started...

“Hello. This blog wasn’t my idea; my therapist told me I should keep a journal before I moved, but no one keeps a journal anymore, so I thought I’d try this instead.”

JOHN WATSON!!

Okay, maybe not. I'll keep reading. But that definitely reminds me of the opening scenes of the BBC version of Sherlock -- so if that's not the vibes you're going for you might want to keep that in mind.

He didn’t have the heart to cross out any of the possibilities, but they were all absolutely rotten.

Bood <3

~ ~ ~

Okay! I really liked this chapter, which is evidenced by me not having any helpful, specific comments to make lol. This was a nice introductory chapter.

I already really like Finnley. It's really adorable how much he cares about his mom, even though there's clearly a ton of emotional baggage that he needs to work through on his own. I'm definitely interested to see how he integrates into the new school, and also am hopeful to see the reason behind why he had to move in the first place coming out pretty soon!

I personally have a hard time making people care about my characters in the first chapter so I'm pretty impressed that you did such a good job of that here.

If you want/need more followers then feel free to tag me when you post more. I'm already following 3 others so I can't guarantee I'll have time for this one as well, since I'm in school and all that, but I did really enjoy this so I'd be down to at least make an attempt at following along if you'd have me.

~Shady 8)

Que says...

Thanks for the review, Shady! :)
I%u2019m glad you liked this chapter and Finnley. It%u2019s good to see your thoughts on the opening to that I can tell whether it%u2019s setting the right tone or not. (For example, I%u2019m glad that one of your takeaways is baggage!)Uhh I always want more followers, so you can go for it if you want to! I%u2019ll also be posting pretty sporadically because I%u2019ve only revised up to a certain point and don%u2019t have a lot of time.
Thanks again!!

Que says...

Shoot, it glitched, sorry about that! :/

Shady says...

Sure thing! Sounds good :) And no worries about the glitch. I dunno why the comments are so bad about it...

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron