Traitor to the Throne: Chapter One

by Danni88

A/N this is a very very very very very very very short chapter as I just want to introduce Evelyn and Comodore and then make it a lot longer.

Seventeen-year-old Evelyn is the eldest daughter of King Saran and heir to the throne of Sirila. Her life has always been relaxed and lavish. She always has the best of everything and believes her father is a good king who genuinely cares about his people.

She couldn't be more wrong....

"Evie?" my little brother Comodore called. He tapped on my door.

I looked up from my mirror. "Come in, Modo."

Comodore skipped into the room and plonked himself down on my four-poster bed. He gave me a gap-toothed grin. "Mari made fun of me because my shoes was scruffy, but I pushed her in the pond!"

I put my hand over my mouth. "Comodore!" 

He grinned again and bounced up and down. "Mama shrieked and waved her arms in the air. It wasn't that deep. Treasure thought it were funny."

I sighed, but couldn't help smiling. "I bet Marilyn was furious. Honestly, Modo, you and Treasure are quite the rascals. And it's was, not were." 

"Papa told me to tell you to come downstairs," he chirped, sliding off my bed. "He says you have to look elegant in front of the visiting lords." 

I cursed myself. I'd forgotten the lords. "Coming." 

I slipped into my en suite and changed into my favourite purple dress and fur-lined cloak, placing my regal crown on my head.

I smiled at myself in the mirror. I looked amazing.

"Come on, Modo." I stepped out of my en suite and made my way down the stairs. 

The palace was beautiful. Stained-glass windows, suits of armour lining the corridors, gold banisters - it was the best place, for me, in the world. 

We stepped out of the huge main doors and made our way across the grounds towards the Great Hall. 

As I walked past the old treasury, I noticed two guards sneaking out of it. They looked around nervously, then darted off in the direction of the guardrooms. 

I frowned. The treasury was off-limits to everyone, and anyone who went in there was severely punished. 

I walked towards it. What were they doing in there? I'd be in bad trouble, but at least I'd find out if they were up to anything. I might even get a medal... 

"Evie!" called Comodore. "C'mon. We're late, and you're not s'posed to go in there."

"OK. Coming." I turned away. I'd get this infernal dinner over with, and then investigate....

Sat May 20, 2023 1:40 am
foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello this is THE ONE AND ONLY YOU WILL EVER FIND FOXMASTER!!!! Bursts in applause!
Soooooooooooo... mhhh hmmmm hmmm! Drama, family drama, random little brother, a dinner and expecting to get a medal? Let's see where we're going here......

She couldn't be more wrong....

Evil sadistic father hiding his nefarious plots from his own daughter? nd let's not forget how her father rules a KINGDOM! O ho ho, looks like we're heading somewhere...... (sorry, I keep on getting distracted my @Rydia's avatar....)

Do we have TWO evil people people in this family....? Uh oh... and there's a dude named treasure? Wonder where that's going....... wait, false alarm, pond wasn't deep.

sorry, girly-girl, I wouldn't count on getting a medal.... wonder what's actually IN the treasury? Is it even a real treasury? Is her father hiding dead bodies in there? Hmmmm... kind of suspicious, but okay. I would NOT follow those people in the treasury, probably for the best!
AAAAAAAAAAAAnd that's all! Tooooootally enjoyed this. Just confused about this treasure guy. Also, If you could review some of my work, that would be great!!! :)
-Foxmaster!!!! (The one and only!)

Rydia wrote a review...

I think this is the final piece of yours I need to review and then I'm all caught up so you'll have to post something new! :)

1. The introduction paragraph is a bit too telling and reads kind of like the detail you'd put on the blurb of the book. It's not an engaging way to start the story though - we should start in the head of the narrator, learning about the world and its people and these kind of details will come through in dialogue or in the way the characters act. If Evelyn is loving and sweet toward her father then we'll know she believes he is good and you can show us that she's not used to conflict when it starts happening in the story. People will generally assume that a princess has had a sheltered life anyway unless you tell them otherwise so you can let the stereotypes work in your favour a bit.

2. The next part does a really good job of telling us that Evelyn is content and sheltered so good work! And I love the little pet name she has for her brother. Super cute.

So there's not much here yet but you manage to give us a good sense of Evelyn being someone who's fairly carefree and pleasant and I think her thoughts on getting a medal for catching someone up to no good really sum that up. There's a sense that she's playing at being someone important but doesn't really understand the pressures which can come with that or how bad things like corruption can be.

Modo is cute, though I'm surprised he's not instantly up for looking into what's going on with the treasury since it seems he's a bit of a scamp.Then again, it's also a very little brother thing to tell your siblings off for the things they tell you off for! So it kind of works.

That's really all I have to say on this - clean up the beginning and keep up the brother-sister dynamic because that's coming across well.

Until next time!

~Heather

Danni88 says...

Thanks ;)

shaniac wrote a review...

Hello, shaniac here to review your piece!

The title caught my attention into wanting to figure out more of what is going to happen. So, your main concept of having the king hold something darker to the throne and Evelyn may be finding that out as the novel progresses. I haven't read a lot of fantasy pieces, but I do think that this piece does have potential.

The first opening of this just brings out the characters through dialogue. That is kind of risky business as you do not provide information or background about the characters, for the exception of Evelyn. I think maybe you could start off with something simple such a scene where her younger brother is running down the halls of the castle with something important to say. That would also give somebody some setting placement of where this story is taking place. You are killing two birds with one stone, in that sense. In the same vein, you don't exactly mention where Evelyn is at, leaving the reader to assume she is in her room or something. Again, add some setting to the beginning and that will make it run smoother.

I like how you give a bit of personality to Modo with the "it were funny" and then Evelyn scolding him saying its "it was funny". Classic sibling annoyance, though I wouldn't know since I'm an only child. :P

When she changes into her dress, I was kind of hoping that she would push her little brother out of the room and she spends some time just being hard on herself for being late. Since this isn't the case, where exactly did she change? I know that it may seem a bit too noticing but I felt that it may help clear up that small transition.

I do like this description but the ending part of it is awkward, in terms of wording. What I think you should reword it to is "it was the best place in the world for me" or something similar. I feel that way that it would make more sense and run a little bit smoother.

We stepped out of the huge man doors

"out of" would be "through".

The guards that were sneaking into the treasury is a nice bit, but I do think that could be for a later chapter or something. Or, her father could hint at something that has been going on in town recently with a bunch of robbers. That way it ties back to this incident nicely. Also, the ending is kind of short (and you did mention that), but I think instead of using the word "infernal", you could use the word "hellish" as a replacer. Also, maybe even hint at what is going to happen at this dinner.

To cap, I like the idea that you have presented here and I can't wait to see what will happen. I do think you add some more descriptions and setting placers so it can help whoever is reading this figure out where and what is happening. And add some more characteristics to both characters. Have a good day/night and if you have any questions, let me know!

Danni88 says...

Thanks! :)

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Danni88! Pan dropping in for a quick review. As this is such a short chapter, I'm just going to work through it chronologically and give you my thoughts and pointers. I'll round off with some overall conclusions at the end. Let's go!

This is a fairly minor point, but the devil is in the detail so I thought I'd mention it. For me, I don't really like it when narrators deliberately signpost their relationships with other characters. It feels unnatural. Personally, I never think of my sister as 'my sister Natasha' because she's such an everyday part of my life. Putting 'my little brother Comodore' makes me feel like I, as a reader, am being pandered to, which pulls me out of the story somewhat.

Why not just say 'Comodore' and allow the reader to infer that he's a sibling from the context? Given how they talk to each other, the reader is likely to come to that conclusion without you needing to state it explicitly.

On the one hand, I do like that you know how to be sparing with description, but I think you could stand to add a little more detail. Can you incorporate more of the senses? Tell me how the dress feels against her skin, or how the crown presses into her scalp. Show her dousing herself in perfume and describe the smell. You don't need to write reams and reams, but try and be precise with your imagery. It makes the story more immersive.

I feel like this is similarly underbaked. Give me more detail. It's no good telling me the palace is beautiful if you're not going to provide me with the evidence. You could talk about the sunlight pouring through the windows and gleaming on the suits of armour, tinted red and green and blue by the glass. Once again, try to use senses other than the visual. What does the palace sound like? Smell like?

This crops up so suddenly that I almost missed it when I first read it. I think your under-description impacts the whole chapter, actually. Because I don't get a sense of the palace and the environment and the journey they're making down from her room, everything that happens feels a bit unconnected and difficult to picture. I can't visualise the treasury, nor where Evelyn is relative to it. Try to think more about the landscaping in your scenes - establish where your characters are relative to each other, what environment surrounds them, and how it impacts their view of things. Keeping these details in mind makes a story much easier to follow.

Overall, I think this chapter makes for a roughly good opening, but it needs tweaking and developing to bring out the best in it. In terms of strengths, I think your grammar was good, your dialogue was clear and easy to follow, and you have a distinct and potentially intriguing hook at the end. In terms of improvements, you need to include more specific description, paint a better picture of the surroundings, and adjust the pacing. While I like stories that get straight to the action, this chapter moves far too quickly. We don't really get any sense of the characters' personalities or the status quo before you introduce the matter of the guards sneaking out of the treasury. It's hard for me to care about disruptions in the narrator's life until I have some sense of who they are, so I'd give yourself more time to develop Evelyn and other members of the cast before you plunge head first into the main mystery.

I hope this helped! If you've any questions about this review, please do ask me.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Danni88 says...

Thank you! It helps a lot :D

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky