General Behind Me #3 Her sister

by wendylau98

Day breaks with the sun hung in the cloudless sky, all was baked under the relentless sun, the arena filled with enthusiastic voices. Rows and rows of cheering spectacular on the spotless seat are filled, scattered on the area are her fellow Elites; The Elites, but she knows, she never did became part of the fellow.

Wendolyn attention was elsewhere, she was looking at the High Elites, the mighty aura they held, it was truly to be respected. She knows her skills are beyond the Elite, but a far stretched from a qualified High Elite, her mind was called to focus and to realize there's a group of High Elite was looking back at her. She did not move, not even her expression. She stares back at them, and slightly nod, not as a challenge but an acknowledgement.

The High Elites somehow understood the message she relay meant she is no foe. Two smiles greet back to her, it was given by a pair of twins. While the boy seems cheerful, the girl seems to lead them, she held a quieter contemplative stare. The whole group, five of them walks toward in synchronize. It somehow attracts the surround attention, because surround her, the noise seems to lower down by a significant notch.

"Wendolyn, your father summons you." A fellow Elite stood in front of her, blocking her view to the approaching High Elites.

Panic consume her once again, Sir Clifton.

She glances back at High Elites that was approaching, they halted they walk. The girl that was leading silently looks at Wendolyn as if questioning her, in reply, she bows her head. Seeming that she understood she tilt her head as if saying next time then.

"Lead me to him," Wendolyn replied and promptly follow him to the darkened exit.

--------

"Now there she is!" Prince Percival gladly announced Wendolyn arrival. His silver crown sat upon her messy hair, wearing a deep red tunics and black clock. A matching colour dress to the lady standing beside him, she is a lady of fineness quality except for the hatred looks she was giving Wendolyn, which bore the same eye colour as Wendolyn. After all, it comes from the gene pool.

"Your majesty, Sister. Good morning." She bowed respectfully to the crown prince of Palava, also her brother-in-law to be. Promised to wed her sister, Versallys, the said fairest and brightest maiden of the land.

"Come sit at the front line. A family of mine should sit as equal as the royal." Prince Percival offered her sincerely.

Another strong glare from her sister gave voice to Wendolyn's rarely convey voice. "Your kindness is beyond me Your Majesty, but I should sit with my father if that's acceptable," Wendolyn replied with a deep voice.

"Okay, understandable. I heard from Vee you truly follow your father's footstep. I support that with all my heart. Your father is an honourable man serving my father. One day you'll be the one serving me. Plus, you might as well start calling me Pierce." He patted on Wendolyn shoulder and retreated.

Wendolyn was about to turn and bolt to the arena but her path was blocked by her father. She tilted her head up and was greeted with frowning green eyes.

"Sit." He growled while his head gesture towards the nearest sits.

Nothing could be done but to accept her fate that her morning will be under the watchful eyes of her father.

"This morning. I advise you not to pull that stunt again. Sir Clifton is a reputable man, he should not be treated as such to lowly level. Especially not by a scum like you. Know this, the stunt that you pulled, don't think you can get away with it. You will hear your punishment soon." He said behind her chair, her fear was overflowing that she has no doubt that her father felt is oozing of her

A weak nod from her and it was his cue to go to bark whatever order to the guard on duties. She should feel pity for them, but she knows she's the worst victim of her father's wrath.

The assemble of Elites has begun, this time is to announce of the new elected six Royal Elites. The Royal Elites are those hand-picked and intensely personally trained by the King and The General of the Guard- my father. They are the last line of defence in protecting the royals. The greatest honour an Elite could ever achieve.

The announcer was giving a lengthy speech about their great achievement and the past honour done by the past Royal Elites. She took no great attention to it when suddenly a flow of golden hair sat by her.

"Vee."

"Don't Vee me. I know my husband ask you to call him Pierce. Don't you dare, you are to address him by his title and so as you will to me in the future. I soon will be the princess of this country and the queen, and you're just some sweaty warrior who embarrasses me at every waking hour. The Prince fell in love with me and my father is proud of me."

My father, not our?

"Unlike you, he is disappointed in you as much as he can be. I don't like you at all, you are never worthy enough or ever good enough since the day you're born, you don't even deserve to bear the family name. Do not ever appear up here ever again, do you understand? This is no place for you. Do you know that?" Her fan herself to cool herself with her fuming anger.

"..."

"What? Now you're mute now?"

"I know."

"Good, go off to the place you belong." She stood and flipped her long golden hair. A hair she once had, before she cut it short and dyed it black - just so to stop Versallys screaming of having the same hair.

I want nothing more than to trample her to bones, to rip every golden hair of her head slowly. To see her pathetic cries and ugly tear-streaked face. I would only be satisfied if I were to stomp on her face until the blood-soaked my ankle. But she is right, She is or will be a princess, as I so touch her hair, she could exile me on her next breath.

She could only do nothing but to stare at the sister retreating figure.

Evander wrote a review...

Heyo, wendylau! I have read through the previous two chapters, so let's get started with this review.

Day breaks with the sun hung in the cloudless sky, all was baked under the relentless sun, the arena filled with enthusiastic voices.

That's a run-on sentence right there. Run-ons occur when two or more independent clauses are put together in the same sentence. I'd suggest rewording the line entire line entirely and fixing the use of passive voice in the second independent clause.

[...]on the area are her fellow Elites; The Elites, but she knows, she never did became part of the fellow.

I'm a bit confused, but I think I garner the meaning. She's a part of the Elites, but hasn't managed to get close enough to become a "fellow"? I highly suggest rewording that. It has the potential to be a witty line, but it's really clunky right now.

I feel like the Elites and the High Elites could be explained and described better, since it's hard to piece together what they do on the first read-through. They're gladiators, I assume? They're gladiators with magic who have the potential to become a part of this world's royal guard. That's pretty neat. Unfortunately, it isn't entirely clear.

However, this is a first draft! So that stuff can be rewritten and explained in future versions of this story.

Two smiles greet back to her, it was given by a pair of twins.

Here's another use of the passive voice. Active voice is when the subject performs the action; passive voice is when the action is performed upon the subject. Informal writing can sound clunkier when using the passive voice because of the disconnect between the subject (person performing the action) and the action itself; active voice generally uses fewer words to get the same point across in a clearer manner.
I would probably change it to: "A pair of twins greet her with two smiles." Feel free to change it to anything you want, though!

She did not move, not even her expression. She stares back at them, and slightly nod, not as a challenge but an acknowledgement.

Perhaps instead: "She did not move, not even to change her expression. She stares back at them and gives a slight nod. It was meant as an acknowledgement, not a challenge."
I'm noticing that a lot of problems throughout this chapter is that the word choice is a little off. A line will almost have a clear meaning, but a few words will have been omitted that would have caused it to make much more sense.

A fellow Elite stood in front of her, blocking her view to the approaching High Elites.

Maybe describe what the Elite looked like? Maybe add in some descriptive language about how imposing he looked or what he was wearing. If you use the right words, then you'll be able to evoke the suddenness of his action and how jarring it must have been. Breathing emotion into scenes Here's a good Knowledge Base article on how to accomplish that.

The original line makes it sound like she's speaking to Sir Clifton (given that the comma could be misread and seen as a vocative comma), so I would reword it.
Perhaps: "Panic consumes her once again. It was about Sir Clifton, wasn't it?"

The dialogue tags in this work ("Wendolyn replied", "he growled", etc) are in the past tense, while the rest of the work seems to be in the present tense. This switching between the two is difficult to follow. Stories in third person typically use the past tense, although I have read a few successful works that manage to pull of third person with present tense. Regardless, in the name of clarity, I would personally stick to one.

"Vee."

Why would Wendolyn use a nickname for Versallys if Versallys has treated her so harshly over the years? I'm not quite sure why that would be an automatic response.

I want nothing more than to trample her to bones, to rip every golden hair of her head slowly.

One: Without anything to signify that this is a thought, then it looks like the story just switched to the first person. Personally, I use italics to separate thoughts from normal narration.
Two: If Wendolyn has this attitude towards her sister, then I bring the use of the nickname in question again. Why use one if she hates her sister?

I'm not quite sure where the story will really go? I assume that it will explore the abuse of Wendolyn at the hands of her sister and father. Given that the Royal Elite are mentioned, then I assume that Wendolyn will become one and will have to protect her sister and the prince. Percival seems to like the main character, while her sister hates her, so I'm wondering if that will have any impact on the marriage (finding out that your wife is abusive can cause things to go south).

Alright, that's all I have to say for today! I hope that you'll keep on writing!

-E

Kanome wrote a review...

Hello. Kanome here with a review in honor of Review Day and we are on the same review team. Go Team Red!
Anyways, I don't see any errors that need to be fixed so great job on that.
Let's see... maybe not space out your paragraphs so much? Heh. I don't know.
I don't really know much of what is going on since I didn't read the first chapter (I shall be doing that, I'll add it to my list of things to read so I can read it after review day is over.), but this is an interesting story so far.
I love the names of all your characters, they're original, which I like :)
The usage of your words, the way you describe the setting and the characters are well-detailed, amazing job!
Well, keep up the great work. I shall be reading from the beginning and wait for another chapter update to come! Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day!

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening