z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Chapter 15 of Princess of the Sea

by lelu


Strong golden sunlight flooded the city. The sun had risen, sparkling on newly fallen snow a foot thick. Silira looked out her window at the shining sea and the glorious morning, but didn't smile. That fear of hers was growing by the second. Something bad would happen.

With that happy thought, she dressed, put on her coat because it was cold, and went downstairs. It was around ten. She didn't usually sleep this long, but she had been very tired lately. Maybe running up the long stairs of the Keep three days ago had had something to do with it. She was just as graceful now as she had been in her first days of being human, but the time of dancing was long past. She walked slowly and stayed in her room most of the time, unless she was with Corwin.

Where was he, anyhow? The parade was at eleven, she thought. They would be down in the city to watch, at the house of some rich merchant, and eat lunch after that. She hadn't eaten much in the last few days, either. Did Corwin know something was wrong? He had been nice to her these last few days--when he saw her, that is.

He hadn't been with her as much. It was because of the way she had looked when they ate their first supper there, though she didn't know that. She thought he was just busy preparing for the holiday month. He was excited, after all. But his exuberant personality didn't even cheer her up any more.

In the common room, one floor above the dining room, where most people hung out when they didn't have anything better to do, Silira sat down on a sofa and spaced out. It was a nice room, with fur rugs on the floor, armchairs, two bookcases, and a fireplace that branched out from a chimney that ran the whole height of the Keep. A few people were there, one girl adjusting her hairstyle in a mirror hanging on the wall, and two young boys having a slap fight by a window. Everything around her spoke of joy and celebration. 'Twas the season to be merry, but Silira had no heart for it.

There were steps coming up the stairs, and Corwin came in the door. "Excuse me, ladies, you two gentlemen having a slap fight, have any of you seen--Oh." He smiled and came in. "Milady. It's a good morning." He tried to pretend he didn't notice the subtle despair in Silira's eyes. "Wilt thou come down with me and ride within the carriage of his lordship, one noble Tiernan, to observe an inspiring sight?"

Silira got up slowly and went out with him. The few people also in the common room stayed behind, probably waiting for someone. He kept up a steady stream of talk as they made their way out of the Keep. A carriage was waiting for them. Corwin handed Silira up, and she took a seat across from Tiernan. Corwin swung up and sat next to her, closing and latching the door.

"Sir, yea verily and thou dost have...hast? Thou dost...hast...a most inspiring prospect in Caer Ebon. Truly it givest thou joy to preside over this great city..." He went on, Tiernan occasionally interjecting but usually listening and looking amused, Silira looking out the window at the festivities going on around the carriage as they went downhill.

"And th'art a most gracious host..." Corwin was going on desperately, trying to distract himself from that look in Silira's eyes, when they pulled up and he nearly fell off the seat. There was the sound of bells ringing all over the city, and one in the Keep. Lord Tiernan, though a bad guy, was not immune to inspiring scenes. He jumped out of the carriage, a smile on his face, long brown coat spinning out. "It's a good morning, Caer Ebon!" he shouted, spinning around in the middle of the street and nimbly avoiding a pile of horse crap. They were in front of the merchant's house.

Before Corwin could help her out of the carriage, Silira slipped out alone, not looking at him. They understood each other too well to think she was angry, but Corwin still worried about her. He had no idea why she would suddenly act like this. Was it something he said? He wondered what it could be as they made their way into the house.

An imposing man, who looked as if he was part Southron, greeted them cordially and showed them up to a large balcony overlooking the street. A few of the nobles were already there, but no guards. No one would try to assassinate anyone, not now, when an entire regiment was coming through town in fifteen minutes. Silira leaned on the railing and listened to the conversation. Corwin asked her a few questions, just so things wouldn't look weird, but he mostly spoke to the other Eleschic guests. He couldn't stand that look of hers.

The bells kept ringing. Actually, the one in the Keep had rung first, as soon as the two slap-fighting boys had seen the approaching soldiers from the top of the tower and shouted to the girl who'd been looking in the mirror, and all of Caer Ebon had heard it and begun to ring their own bells. Now there was the sound of trumpets and drums in the distance. "They're coming! They're coming!" everyone shouted. The streets were crowded, some of the spectators from far-off countries.

Then the regiment marched into Caer Ebon.

It was a beautiful sight. The streets were lined with cheering people wearing their best, all eager to begin the holidays, the flag of Aeryn flew on all sides, bells rung and the army's drums and trumpets were going full tilt, playing the anthem. Everyone began to sing. Corwin was caught up in the moment. Everyone was, except Silira. She leaned against the balcony railing, looking at it all. "Left out" would not go far enough to describe what she was feeling. More like the strongest outside-looking-in complex ever. She remembered another glorious time, back when she had turned eighteen, singing the lay of Rory the sailor in the middle of the palace. She missed Twilight, missed being a mermaid, missed being known as a princess, having a tongue, swimming through the depths of the sea, feeling as if she was flying.

The military parade passed out of the city after a while. When it had gone, Corwin was no longer acknowledging her presence. It hurt too much. Silira didn't even notice. She went through the motions of eating lunch and socializing, at least as much as someone who can't speak can socialize. She didn't even notice the pain in her feet any more. When it was time to leave, Lord Tiernan casually got her attention and told her it was time to go, without embarrassing her or even asking if something was the matter. Because everyone could see it now. When someone gives up hope, it doesn't always show, but it did if you looked at Silira, which everyone did.

Silira blinked. They were in the Keep. Since when had they been in the Keep? It was getting dark outside. Corwin was walking into his room, saying, "It's a good night, everyone," without looking back at her or anyone.

He could tell something was wrong. She knew she couldn't afford to look this way any more. She would pretend to be happy, for Corwin's sake. He still cared about her, after all...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:10 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hi there, lelu!

Sorry for jumping in midway, but it hurt my soul to see these chapters linger in the green room any longer! So I hope you'll forgive me, and I'll try not to ask too many questions I should know had I been reading along the whole time.

I'm so enchanted by your descriptions of this place. I just want to live inside this beautiful seaside city! It was a delightful surprise (obviously this wouldn't have surprised me if I had read anything before this) to find that Silira was a mermaid. It wasn't jarring, just lovely. I'm glad to see a little mermaid (or, something in the vein of little mermaid) retelling that feels so different from the story I'm familiar with. So, bravo!

One of the things I'm curious about, though, is the plot of this story. Fifteen chapters in feels far enough that some sort of conflict should have picked up, but I'm grasping at straws to name what that conflict is. Is it Silira's relationship with Corwin? Something about Lord Tiernan? Knowing the typical mermaid-turned-human story, I would imagine there's some sort of time constraint on Silira before she turns back into a mermaid. Or perhaps she's cursed, and can't turn back into a mermaid? So many questions!

Clearly, I would have a better idea of this if I had started from the beginning. HOWEVER, I would argue that every chapter in a novel should advance or complicate the plot. This chapter doesn't have any problems or challenges to overcome that relate to the plot (or any problems or challenges to overcome in general) which, while it was a lovely glimpse into this story, doesn't make a novel particularly compelling.

I think your writing is lovely, and it wouldn't be very difficult to seed in that essence of plot in this chapter! I'm also sure this is an early draft, so these issues come up a lot (I have written ENDLESS chapters where nothing happens to move the plot. They are fun and important to write in early drafts!). It's just something to keep in mind for the future.

Thank you so much for sharing! I had a wonderful time reading this. Please keep writing!

--Lauren




lelu says...


Sooooooo glad you like the city! We're in Caer Ebon now, right? I hope you read the rest of the book. I haven't posted all the chapters yet, but there's a very bad full version already out. I'm going to post a better one later, after I've gotten feedback on all the chapters.



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey lelu,

Shady back yet again. Are you getting tired of me yet? ;) This looks like another fairly short chapter, so I'll jump in and see what I can find to give feedback on. Getting started...

With that happy thought, she dressed, put on her coat because it was cold, and went downstairs.


The bit in the bolded seems a bit... I dunno, unnecessary? I mean we already know it's cold, because you said it was snowing. It wouldn't snow if it was hot, obviously. And she wouldn't be putting on a coat if she wasn't cold. So I think you can just leave it as she put on her coat and went downstairs.

'Twas the season to be merry, but Silira had no heart for it.


I like this <3 Excellent job with your word choices here.

"Sir, yea verily and thou dost have...hast? Thou dost...hast...a most inspiring prospect in Caer Ebon.


This part also made me smile. When I started reading it I was skeptical. I mean so far the language has been pretty modern and straight forward, and all of a sudden you are switching to Elizabethan English on us. But then you have the character himself stumbling over the words he's trying to use, and it becomes humorous. Vyper approval ;)

Lord Tiernan, though a bad guy,


Wait, what? He's a bad guy? Since when? I might have missed something in my sleep-deprived haze, but from what I've been reading he seems like he has been absolutely nothing but a gracious host. Why is he suddenly the bad guy? And what has he done to deserve that title?

Corwin asked her a few questions, just so things wouldn't look weird, but he mostly spoke to the other Eleschic guests.


Okay, so I was admittedly late to the party, jumping in at chapter nine. So you might have done the work of setting up your countries at the very beginning of your story, and me having no idea. But if not, then you are throwing them at us too. Aeryn, Aragon, Eleschic guests.

There's too many. I can't keep them straight in my mind -- and furthermore, you keep tossing them at us but not giving us a way to mentally organize them. I mean are those different countries? Tribes within one country? None of the above? I have no idea, and I believe the majority of your readers also would have no idea, especially if you didn't set that up for us in the first few chapters. And even if you did, a lot of things happened between chapter four and chapter fifteen.

A quick refresher and an explanation as to why these people are there would go a long ways.

~ ~ ~

Okay, another excellent chapter to add on to your story. Well done! The ending isn't much of a cliffhanger, and is therefore a bit weaker than I know you are capable of -- but overall, a well-done piece.

I'm going to try to go on to the next one, but there's no promises at this point. I am very tired and am actively fighting sleep in an attempt to satisfy my curiosity about this story. But it might take me nonetheless ;)

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)





How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane