z

Young Writers Society



Defective Guardian

by Holysocks


TW: mention of suicide and/or self harm.

***

Eleanor’s angel sat in the windowsill. His eyes combed her as she pondered the evening sky with it’s pricks of starlight only bright enough to see, but not touch. She was an interesting one, he thought, but at the same time, only because of her facade. She walked upright and tall and her nose parted the air for the rest of her body to glide through. Efficiency, he thought. But as soon as she reached her own doorstep, twisted the key in it’s lock, pushed the door open and then closed it behind her- suddenly her shoulders sagged and she put her smile away.

Her angel waited a moment and then opened the door himself, hopped inside, and closed it so that she wouldn’t hear him enter. If you were going to startle a girl, you had to do it right. In any case, it was time to speak with her. He’d been putting it off for awhile. He thought she’d just work through things on herself and- he also didn’t think that emotional support had been in the job description. But then, things were starting to get out of hand.

He wondered how to introduce himself. He’d never been good at introductions- well, he’d never introduced himself in the first place. Eleanor was defective, anyway, that’s what he thought and they’d assigned him to her because they thought he was defective also. Well actually, they weren’t entirely sure he was an angel. They were still caught up on what he was when they had assigned him to Eleanor.

She’d wondered into the kitchen and he’d followed her, glaring into the back of her head like it might just have the answers to what he should say. He wasn’t supposed to intervene in a way that he was revealed but- this seemed important and if he could just talk to her maybe everything would be alright.

She was rooting through the cupboard under the sink now. What was she reaching for? She pulled out a plastic jug of something, and for a minute he thought it was simply soap. Then he realized just how bad a job he’d been doing as an angel. But was he supposed to just… interrupt her? Surely she’d come to her senses, surely she’d put that jug away, surely… He closed his eyes, under his breath, he whispered over and over “put it away, put it away, put it away” But she didn’t put it away. He wanted to cry. She was crying. He heard her sobbing softly at first and then louder.



He opened his eyes and the jug wasn’t in her hands anymore, but she was sitting in a heap on the kitchen floor, her head in her hands. Her entire body was shaking. He looked around for the jug, and finally saw it up by the sink. Thank goodness, he thought. Then, reluctantly, he tiptoed closer to her. He wasn’t small or particularly graceful, but she was so caught up in her own grief that she didn’t seem to notice him until he was beside her on the floor. She wasn't startled, but it had surprised her enough that she wasn’t really paying attention to her own situation for a moment. He didn’t say anything and she didn’t ask who he was. They just sat there, looking at each other for a long time. Then she cried again, and he let her. And that’s when he realized that she wasn’t defective, and neither was she. 

***

A/N: This was written for Elinor's Beatles Contest! So this story is inspired by the song Eleanor Rigby. And to explain myself a little- at the end of the music video there's a man with butterfly wings sitting on a roof, so I took it to be that he was the one looking at the world going "look at all these lonely people? Where do they all come from?" etc. So that's where I got the idea for a guardian angel who is a little lost and confused about what he's supposed to be doing, kinda like his charge; Eleanor Rigby.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:39 am
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi, Holy!

How is this still in the Green Room? Anyway, here is your review, as promised. Eleanor Rigby is a song with a lot of sentimental value for me, as it's the song that first introduced me to the Beatles, the one that made me become a fan. I think part of the reason I liked it was it was it about an Eleanor and I'm Eleanor. I was very curious to see what you were going to do with it. It's completely different than anything I would have expected, but definitely in a good way! It's interesting how you didn't include Father Mackenzie and narrowed the focus to Eleanor.

I also really enjoyed the subtle references to the lyrics themselves. This is very hard to do effectively, and you pulled it off. And while this piece itself is very short, I think it works to the benefit of the story, because it's really just about Eleanor and what she's feeling. I was also interested that you changed her fate and allowed her to live. In the song, we don't find out how she died, but it's sad because we see that she left the world without anyone caring. Here, there's a glimmer of hope.

This really reminded me of It's A Wonderful Life in some ways and I'm wondering if that was intentional. But I really liked it. The one thing I perhaps wondered is if you would expand on Eleanor's character development a little bit more. She's not so much a character as an avatar for loneliness, which is of the song, but you have the opportunity to take that as a starting point and make it your own. Her angel doesn't need to be fully fleshed out, we just need to understand his internal conflict, which we do.

Great work. Let me know if you have any questions.




Holysocks says...


Thanks! c: I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not sure I know what It's a Wonderful Life is, but I think I've heard of it maybe. Yeah I wanted Eleanor to live because I honestly didn't feel like writing something too tragic! Though at first the story was going to go down that route and the angel was going to be a lot more menacing but it turned into this. And I couldn't think of anything to do with Father Mackenzie!- Though I'm sure I could have come up with something, I just decided to leave it out. c:



Elinor says...


It%u2019s A Wonderful Life is a great movie about a man who is saved from suicide by his guardian angel. You should watch it sometimes.



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this very interesting concept on what the responsibilities of angels are. Please note that each reader brings a different background to a read and reacts accordingly.Since my background includes strong biblical background I found it weird that God would assign an unqualified angel to do a task. But again that's just me and others who don't have my biblical background would likely just go along with that possibility.

In any case, you describe interaction very well and it is comforting to believe that God will send an angel to prevent us from doing something foolish.




Holysocks says...


Thanks Radrook! I am religious aswell, however the angel wasn't intended to necessarily be assigned by the creator- I mentioned "they" assigned him. I see your point buuuuut also if a higher power assigned him, I would like to think that they knew all along that he wasn't defective, and that him being assigned to Eleanor was really meant to be, because all she really needed was someone to listen and understand her pain.



Radrook says...


Thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to reading more of your work.



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 6
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm
View Likes
yoyou446 says...



I like the description and start. It evokes many emotions. The ending feels rushed. Why are they not defective? What enlightening has the angel come too? What did he realize that changed his mind? It is an extremely strong story but lacks description of the most important part! It hurts! I want to know so badly what the angel saw in her and what he saw in himself that changed his mind.




Holysocks says...


Thank you! c: It was rushed. I've been struggling to write it for a month and a week and I just finally sat down and got it done.




I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal