z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

Yacov Smirnov's Dating Problems

by Radrook


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

     Captain Nicanor Rubinski, of the mining freighter ship Paragon which transported raw material from asteroid mining activities back to Earth, had been again informed that they were a man short on the loading-team. Once more the name of Yakov Smirnoff appeared prominently displayed on the computer screen.

     “What the hell is wrong with him now?” the captain bellowed sending tobacco tainted spittle flying in all directions and then wiping his stained lips with the sleeve of this gray uniform.

     “I don’t know sir!” the loading-crew foreman said through soot-encrusted teeth, “He claimed to be indisposed and locked himself in his cubicle again. Refuses to talk about it and just sits there with this sad expression on his face!”

     “Damned lazy bum! Let’s see what his excuse is this time!” The captain found Smirnoff’s door locked shut and slammed his hairy fist on it several times!”

     “It's captain Rubinski! Open the damn door!” he bellowed several times before the door swiveled open revealing a room strewn with magazines and with female nude pin-ups of diverse humanoid species on the green walls. Sitting on the narrow couch was Smirnov in his blue, boxer underwear, freckled-faced with unkempt, wavy, red hair and downcast look on his ruddy face. He was sitting hunched over with elbows on knees and with fingers tightly interlaced. The impression was one of such misery that the captain’s anger was replaced by compassion.

     “Son, you're needed at the loading-docks. You know that we have a schedule to keep and that your absence is causing us delay and the delay means less money! Right?”

     “I know sir! Sorry sir!”

     "Sorry isn’t good enough son. What seems to be the problem? It says here on Dr Frankenhausen's psychological-evaluation-report, that you are having trouble finding female companionship. Is that true?"

    “Well sir, it hasn’t been going too well.”

     "Exactly how not? No one else on the ship seems to have trouble, dammit!. Not even our older members who aren’t what you might call Adonises. So what exactly is the issue?”

     “Well sir, it seems that as soon as I try to get acquainted with a female, something goes seriously wrong!” Smirnoff momentarily gazed up forlornly at one of the naked female pinups on the polished green wall opposite his couch.

     “Áre these human females?” the captain asked.

     “Is that the reason why you no longer go out for some R and R?”

     “Yes sir, I don’t feel like going through that shit again.”

     “Going through what exactly? Be specific! We can’t help you if you aren’t, and if we can’t help you, then we'll have to fire you. Leave you back at the Earth space station. Do you understand?”

     “Yes sir, I understand.”

     “Then tell me what the hell is going on.”

     “Well, it’s like this sir. I recently met this nice-looking, triple breasted, humanoid babe from our Alpha Centauri colony on one of our R and Rs. She looked fine. Nice triple boobs, shapely legs, the most beautiful, large, blue eyes I had ever seen.

     “Get to the point! I don’t have all day!” captain Rubinski heard himself say without much conviction. He had a son Smirnoff's age back on Earth and Smirnoff reminded him of him, shy, and not too popular with the girls..

     Smirnov looked at him with profound sadness in his bulging green eyes before responding.

     “To make a long story short sir, she was unkissable.”

     "Unkissable? An Alpha Centurian colonial female? Are you making a joke?"

    “No sir, I am not!”

     The captain paced back and forth for a moment while scratching his pale, bald head.

     “So how exactly was she unkissable?”

     ”Well sir, she was bucked-toothed to such a degree that all I got when I tried was teef. In fact, my upper lip was lacerated from the impact when I stopped pecking and I decided to lunge.”

     “Well, they are a bit toothy sometimes, that’s for sure. But we don’t care that much, so why should you?”

     “You don’t understand sir. She wasn't just a little bit toothy, she was as toothy as a Guangala Candubula Beast.”

     "Damn! That is a bit too much! What was she-some kind of mutation?”

     “I don’t really know and didn’t stay around to ask. Excused myself as if going to the John and bolted for the exit sir.”

    “OK, so that's just one encounter!"

     "All the others were similar sir. I met another female during my leave just recently. This one was an Earthian. Very delicate-looking. Had this girly-girly personality. Took me to meet her folks."

    “There we go! So it wasn’t all bad, now was it?" The captain patted Smirnov on one of his massive hunched shoulders hoping he’d snap out of it and get to the loading docks.

     “That was until I kissed her sir. Then I almost hurled my recent breakfast due to her fetid halitosis."

     “Halitosis?”

     “Bad breath sir. As if some animal had died in her mouth and been there for a week!”

     “Well, can’t blame you there. I certainly wouldn't--''

     “Then I tried to use the android dating service sir. You know, these services that provide female-looking androids at a substantial fee for a few hours? The sign in from of the place said “Engage in your most Exotic Fantasies with our sexy androids. Total Satisfaction Guaranteed.” sir. So I paid, took the android, this red-headed, big-breasted one I had picked out cause she was the cheapest, to my hotel room and as soon as I undressed it, it immediately broke down. I was accused of taking a sledgehammer to it sir. But that was only after it broke down filling the room with acrid smoke from her short circuited insides and had managed to scorch my crotch!”

     At this point Smirnov broke down and began to weep! His heaving sobs shook the small cot and it threatened to come apart on its hinges.

     “But there is more,” he said between sobs.

     “Not necessary son. I have heard enough." Captain Rubinski said nervously. "Let me go and speak to the ship psychologist and see what he recommends."

     “Yes sir. Thank you sir. But I consider him a bit flaky sir.”

     “Well, I ‘d like to get his opinion anyway!”

     The ship psychologist, Frederick Frankenhausen, a dark, wiry high strung, bushy-browed Earthian who had just taken over the slack for Smirnoff at the loading bay, was in no mood for idle chatter. The captain found him grumbling while taking off his spacesuit at the bulkhead exit portal. He was also mumbling obscenities interspersed with the word “Smirnoff”.

     “I want to talk to you about one of our crew-members.” the captain uttered gravely.

     “Put him in an airlock and cast him into the void!” the doc shouted. “The man is jinxed and there’s nothing that you, nor I, nor anyone else in this universe can do to change that.”

     “I can understand your frustration doc, after all, having to substitute--"

     "It isn’t just that captain! It isn’t just that! Do you know that he has had the same experience two-hundred times in a row? With different species of females? Do you realize how statistically improbable that is? That’s like getting hit with a bolt of lighting over and over at the same location at the same time of year while you are smoking the same brand of cigar. Do you realize that since he was hired accidents at the loading docks have increased three-hundred percent?"

     “So what do you recommend doc?”

     “Recommend? Are you crazy? I am getting off this ship before his bad luck rubs off on me and on the ship itself. Just signed up for a job as custodian for the top three levels of that mining administrative building down there. He’s your problem now, not mine!”

     Just then an explosion that shook the ship threw them both off their feet.

     “Not a bad idea count me!” the captain said hurriedly donning a space suit.

     “Mind if I help you with those custodial duties?”

     “No problem let’s go!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am
Radrook says...



I corrected all the punctuation repeatedly and it keeps showing up flawed. What gives?




User avatar


Points: 650
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am
View Likes
belvedere wrote a review...



I'm curious if you've ever read anything by Nikolai Gogol? There seems to be something very surrealist about the way this story is written, though I might just be reminded of syntactical similarities (well, given that this is speculative fiction, I suppose it makes sense).

First off, I want to mention just a few technical details: in the beginning, you've written 'tobacco-stained spittle' and followed it up with 'stained lips' in the same sentence. In the next paragraph, you also have 'soot-stained teeth' -- I would suggest getting rid of one 'stained' adjective between the first two cases, and in the third, perhaps it could be changed to 'teeth blackened with soot' or something of that nature, if you want to keep the visual. Additionally, you've got misplaced punctuation after 'slammed his hairy fist on it several times' with an unnecessary exclamation mark and double quotation marks. There are a few other little things, but these were the points that stood out to me while reading.

“Son, you are needed at the loading-docks. You know that we have a schedule to keep and that your absence is causing us delay and the delay means less money! Right?”

“I know sir! Sorry sir!”

Sorry isn’t good enough son. What seems to be the problem? It says here on Dr Frankenhausen's psychological-evaluation report that you are having trouble finding female companionship. Is that true?


(Also: there is no dialogue punctuation for the captain's reply here to Smirnov.)

Here, the characterisation felt a bit off to me; Smirnov's body language has just been described as leaving an 'impression...of such misery', yet the way his reply is written seems surprisingly immediate and upbeat. If I were to rework it, I'd add something like 'Smirnov lifted his head, schooling his mournful expression into one of pained deference. "I know, sir," he mumbled/croaked/forced a smile. "Sorry, sir."' The mood of the story kind of drops when the captain enters the cubicle and although this is a humorous story, I still found it a little jarring.

I think the way you work with dialogue is the main thing that I feel is missing in this story -- I'm not too sure how to explain it, but in a way the minimalistic dialogue works quite well precisely because of the way you write. Almost like the meticulous way you describe characters evens out the simplicity in the way they speak? Thus, I wouldn't ask you to change it much, but I think there are certain things worth considering when you write particular sections (if, of course, it's a change you want -- there's a sense of disconnect generated from this current style and if it's entirely deliberate, then you do you).

The way you build characters in this story appears to be centered around the way they speak, and their appearance. But as a reader, I'm also curious about how they act -- mannerisms, gestures, how they fill the space around them. As it stands now, I feel like I've been introduced to a handful of very fascinating characters who, through their speech, are reduced to ghosts of other characters I have seen elsewhere with similar attitudes, merely because I no longer have a visual basis from which to construct an impression of each individual that is more complex and unique. For example, when I was first acquainted with Smirnov, I thought he was a black sheep (which he kind of is) with a tendency towards dramatics and a sensitive heart. Upon meeting him, I learned that he was a bit lusty and frank (which seems to be a norm in his environment; I think it's a trait that is communicated very nicely), but I could no longer see how he acted in his 'profound sadness', or how he grew agitated enough to '[break] down and...weep'.

Overall, I feel like after the engaging descriptions and well-written conversations, I am left with more disembodied mouths and words than a glimpse of what feels very much like a vibrant and thrilling world. I definitely want to know more about it! I would say keep the way this is written (of course) with the long-ish monologues and snappy phrasing, but add a few tidbits of action here and there to ground the reader more solidly in the scene.

I'm not sure if this helped at all, but I just want to emphasise the fact that I really did enjoy reading this. It was funny and refreshingly offbeat, and the style is well-executed. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me; otherwise, I'm looking forward to reading more of your work!

-belv




Radrook says...


Thanks for the feedback. The story was originally written based on a conversation I had with someone who was frustrated in a manner similar to Smirnoff. So that influenced the way that Smirnoff was portrayed. I appreciate all the advice you provide. One reason why I don't delve too deeply in the surroundings and in characterization is because I am attempting to create Flash Fiction which is usually restricted to 1000 words more or less. So the characters are by necessity left superficially described. Were you aware that this is flash fiction?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction



belvedere says...


You're very welcome! I've never heard of flash fiction, so thank you for introducing it to me; it seems like a very interesting notion, and I'll definitely look into it. That makes sense -- I wonder if it would be possible to compress the amount of conversation in creating more compact characters? In any case, I really appreciate your ability to flesh out a universe so convincingly in such a short word count. Thanks for sharing!



Random avatar

Points: 4854
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:39 am
View Likes
LadyOkra wrote a review...



I like it. In comparison to your other stories, I find it a bit lackluster, but that is just my personal opinion. I do not mean to hurt you. :)

I noticed a lot of spelling errors and some misplaced double quotes. I suggest you proofread it for a smoother reading experience.

Now, getting to the story. Poor Smirnov! I do sympathize with him. 200 females and no luck yet! Poor guy. I like how you're able to find and project humor even in Smirnov's so-called "misery". I do like the ending. It quickly spiraled into a very humorous situation. Smirnov's bad luck is highly contagious it seems. :p

All in all, I think it is a very good story. I just feel like it lacks something, which I'm unable to express in words.

Thanks for the read. Keep writing!

Cheers. :)




Radrook says...


Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I agree. It does lack something. I am also at loss as to what exactly it is. In any case, I will proofread it and check for the mistakes you mention. Thanks for the help.



User avatar


Points: 841
Reviews: 1

Donate


Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe