z

Young Writers Society


12+

Love: A Poem in Three Parts

by mtthompson29


The first boy I ever loved peered into my adolescent heart and thought it looked like home.

He walked with me through all of my dramatic stories and memories of “back when” as if we were strolling, hand in hand, through a garden of recollections.
And he liked all of my flowers – even the ones I didn’t. He would pick them from the dirt, intertwine them, and place them in my big, messy hair like a crown.

Soon, I was clothed head to toe in all of his favorite flowers, and I loved the way I felt but most of all I loved the way he watched me – as if he had been waiting his whole short life to smile at me as I twirled in the sunshine.

But “forever” turned out to be much shorter than we thought.

The dirt shifted underneath the sidewalk in the garden, and the bricks cracked, and slowly – so slowly that it was agonizing – all the flowers died. Even the ones in my hair.

I left the lamp posts on at the entrance to the garden, and I even tried planting his favorite flowers; but they wouldn’t grow, and he never came home.

The second boy I ever loved walked through my garden without an invitation.

He complained that the bricks were uneven, and he didn’t like my flowers.

So he pulled them up by their roots, planted different ones – that I never would’ve picked for myself – and asked me to water them.

Even then, when I say “asked,” it’s an act of generosity.

He developed a habit of arson.

He would pour gasoline in my bones and light matches on my heart and then scold me when I burned.

Eventually, he would put out the fire and step back to look at me from a distance – the same way an artist does when he finishes a masterpiece and slowly inches backward until he can view it the same way admiring museum patrons will.

Except I wasn’t a masterpiece.

I was charred and burnt up and I didn’t recognize myself in the mirror anymore. And so I let him tell me who I was, because I was exhausted from trying to find myself, and he was all too eager.

“No one else would ever want you like this,” he would whisper, as he brushed ash out of my hair.

And I would thank him for extinguishing the flames.

The third boy I ever loved knew I loved him before I did.

I had built tall fences around my heart, even though there wasn’t anything left inside to protect, and I forced him to stay on the outside.

He brought honey for my burns, and I could almost feel the relief of it just by looking at him. But I refused it.

He brought flowers to be planted, and his eyes lit up like the sun and I just knew that his flowers would grow bright and beautiful… but I refused to plant them. I took them from him, and placed them in a vase, and I admired them in their home on the window sill until they inevitably dried up.

I watched from in between the slats of the fence – I waited for him to leave, but each time he did, he only returned with more flowers.

When I finally invited him inside, it felt more like he was bringing me home.

We planted flowers in the uneven dirt, and he watered them, every single day, without fail.

Even when I became terrified that they would one day die, so what's the point, and I pulled them up myself to save some damage, he still planted new ones. Still he stayed.

And I was right. These flowers grew in tremendous ways.

I smiled as the roots burrowed deep into my heart, and they felt strong enough that I knew we were safe – holding onto each other.

And the stems became my veins, and the petals unfurled like my laughter, and our garden was unfathomable.

Incomparable.

Nearly impossible.

But there it was, and there it will stay.

The first boy I ever loved is a father now, and we don’t talk anymore.

There’s still sadness leftover that from the wonder of “what if” and “if only,” but I know that our ending was good. In all of the cliché, worn out, overused ways that the word “good” is good. I know this because when I think of him, I can feel light shining through the cracks in the sidewalk.

The second boy I ever loved still lives in our home town, exactly where I left him.

I hope one day he burns alive, and that he’ll be put on display.

And the museum patrons will admire his broken body and wonder what this masterpiece means.

But I won’t have to wonder, because I’ll know.

I’ll know that he went up in flames because he spent too much time holding a lit match and eventually even the match itself couldn’t take it anymore so it overpowered him.

That’s art.

And the third boy I ever loved still waters my flowers everyday.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 428
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:50 pm
Spilledink wrote a review...



Stunned. This is so touching, and real. So many people will related to boys, or even girls like this. You have talent, and you should use it more! My favorite line is probably:

He walked with me through all of my dramatic stories and memories of “back when” as if we were strolling, hand in hand, through a garden of recollections.
And he liked all of my flowers – even the ones I didn’t. He would pick them from the dirt, intertwine them, and place them in my big, messy hair like a crown.

It's just so touching. The part where you describe how he put the flowers in your hair is wonderful. You said something about yourself, how maybe you think of yourself as not beautiful and messy, but the boy made you feel beautiful, and he not only made you feel that, you ARE that. It's definitely something I would put into a magazine. I don't think there is anything to change.




mtthompson29 says...


Thank you so much!! Your review made my morning :) I%u2019m glad to know that you were touched by the piece and I appreciate your encouragement a lot!



User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 467
Reviews: 130

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:44 pm
AutoPilot wrote a review...



Wow.

I know that is not a greeting, but it's the only thing my brain can come forth with right now. You are a fantastic writer, your way of articulating words and putting ideas together is phenomenal. The sincerity behind your work speaks to me a lot, I love your usage of the flowers.

“No one else would ever want you like this,” he would whisper, as he brushed ash out of my hair.


This sentence... This sentence made me cry. This sentence, whether or not you meant it to, is charged with so much friggin meaning. I've been in situations like this, you receive validation from someone you think cares about you, your self-validation relies on them. But they destroy you, and at first that flame is just warm and comforting, but eventually it steals your oxygen and consumes you. And how do you come back from that??? Some people never do....

Your writing fits together well. The entire thing is very flash fiction oriented, it's amazing. The amount of meaning and underlining emotion that laces itself through the whole thing is truly unique.

I've read through it at least four times now, and every time my emotions swell stronger and stronger. With every word you wrap my heart in feeling. I have no negative comments, it is well written with no errors that I can see.

Please never stop writing,

Autopilot




mtthompson29 says...


Autopilot,

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It makes me so happy (and sad? i guess, given the nature of this poem haha) that you were able to feel the emotions of my piece and identify with them so strongly ... after all, that%u2019s what we%u2019re all aiming for %uD83D%uDE0A I appreciate the review and your kinda words %u2764%uFE0F



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 3476
Reviews: 125

Donate
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 am
View Likes
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...



This was just amazing. I just...wow. This spoke to me deeply, so congratulations. At first, it seemed as if the first boy you had loved treated you fair, but then something happened to both of you and he left, for good. The second boy you had loved, seemed as if he had loved you at first, then decide you weren't good enough, then dug you up and abused you. And as he did, you swore he would burn as well. The third boy you had loved, treated you like something special, something that grew once in a lifetime, and he took care of you, staying by your side even when you refused his care and affection, and at the end, when you described the stems as your veins, and the petals as your laughter, it seemed as if you were describing yourself as a flower, and that was heart-felt, which I loved tremendously. I have no suggestions for you to fix that I would've nit-picked out. You did amazing, I cant wait for you to write more like this, keep up the most fantastical, most best, most stunning work ever!




mtthompson29 says...


Thank you so very much!! Your interpretations were spot on - I%u2019m so glad you liked this piece. I appreciate the encouragement %uD83D%uDE0A%u2764%uFE0F



LakeOfCancer says...


YES! I GOT THEM RIGHT!




Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson