Icarus Girl

by Apricity

When asked about his relationship with Girl, Theo liked to joke that she was a comet that hit the earth, a small point of light lost in the glare of the morning sun, and how in the end, like Icarus he fell, blinded by the force of her light. . Or sometimes, he’d change the narrative a little, to include a bit more of who she was. Of how they had met and clicked along brilliantly, of her great and intelligent mind, and the wonder she had for the world twinkling in the depth of her eyes. But always, the ending would be the same.

He fell.

He fell.

He fell.

Here he’d stop, scratch his ears before flashing the other person a rueful smile before gently steering the conversation onto another topic. And tonight, had been a series of endless ear scratching. For some reason, everyone knew about him and Girl but then again, who wouldn’t. Girl was famous around town.

“God, I don’t know why people throw parties. It’s a recipe for needless manual labour with no beneficial gains.” Theo groaned as he picked up another empty beer bottle and tossed it into the trash bag in his hands, “if we weren’t friends were so long Elle, I’d have kicked you out by now.”

“That’s only because you sit on the sidelines and choose to be a wallflower, Theo.” She kicked the horde of empty chip packets and candy wrappers into a corner before looking up and winking, “besides that’s what friends are for right?”

He gave a sarcastic grunt and started picking up the packets and wrappers she had kicked.

“By the way, why do you always do that?”

“Do what, Elle?” Despite knowing full well what his friend meant, Theo still fired back the response.

“You know what I mean, the ear thing.You said you were gonna tell me if I confessed to Rosa that I liked her.”

“Well, did you?”

“Yes, yes I did. And then I ran out on her but anyways, if you really don’t wanna tell me, that’s cool too. But, you’re buying me lunch for a week.”

“Hah.” He gave a short chuckle and pretended to think for a moment, the truth was he had wanted to talk about it for a while now. Yet there was always danger in speaking stories that involved two sides, that truth became a chiaroscuro of who told the story more convincingly than the other. But if there was anybody who would listen to him, it’d be Elle and some stories, over time had gathered too much weight in his heart.

“So judging by your thoughtful aftersilence, I’m going to take that as a yes.” She raised an eyebrow and he nodded in return.

Theo took a deep breathe and the words tumbled out, one by one, small pebbles rolling awkwardly off his tongue. “It’s a..a cigarette burn. I woke up with it one day, this small scar behind my ear. It ached a bit, that’s how I knew.” He paused and looked away from her inquiring stare, “I think she did it when I was asleep, yet I don’t know why she did it”

“That’s...really weird. Did you ever confront her about it?” Elle had moved closer, sitting beside him.

“How could I?” He gave a small, almost helpless laugh. “You know Girl, she wasn’t the type of person who would or could do something like that. Hell, when we were together she accidentally cut me with her knife when we were cooking, and after that she avoided the kitchen for a good three weeks.”

“Sounds overly sensitive and dramatic to me to be honest.” Elle pressed her heels together and spoke softly for the next part, “but that act made you feel violated didn’t it? Having a foreign unknown brand on your body.”

He exhaled slowly and nodded, ‘yeah, it really did. And that really wasn’t what bothered me the most, it was the disjunction between who I thought she was and this sudden new image of her. The surreal yet uncomfortable reality of what had trespassed. God Elle, it was like a slap in the face, except ten times worse.”

She put a comforting arm around him and squeezed his shoulder lightly, “but Theo, how are you so sure that it was her?”

“The thing is, we had slept together that night, our first and last, and then the next day, I woke up with that behind my ear.” 

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey Wisteria!

Here is your review, as promised. Judging this contest was super tough, as there were great moments in everyone's stories. Yours is no exception. I'm not sure if you were already familiar with the song before I assigned it you, but it seems to be about a relationship the narrator understands is toxic but can't remove himself from. I say seems because I obviously can't read John Lennon's mind, but reading your story, I feel like this is the interpretation you took from it too.

I really enjoyed the rapid-fire, almost heightened dialogue. I think it's the strongest part of your piece. I only wish there was more of it. I think you've created strong characters, but the story feels incomplete, in a way. What happens here is you raise a few interesting questions but don't really answer them, which is partially why I felt a little unsatisfied. I was also unsure why you didn't give Girl a name. It was a little bit distracting. I think Lauren gave you a lot of really good advice for how you can build on what you've written here. Listen to her! This is solid foundation, and you're a good writer.

I really hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions! Thank you, once again, for entering. I enjoyed reading your story.

Apricity says...

Hey Elinor, thank you so much for reviewing this! The story does feel incomplete I agree, I wasn't quite sure how to finish it to be honest which is why it just trailed off. And for Girl, >_> I'm not quite sure why didn't name her. I think I wanted an element of mystery, or perhaps playing with the idea of 'Girl' as a placeholder but I can see why it would be distracting.

I had a lot of fun writing this short story, thank you for hosting such a lovely contest and reviewing all our stories. <3

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 am
LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

Fabulous work! It's hard to "write chemistry" between people, but you did a very good job here. My favorite line is "God Elle, it was like a slap in the face, except ten times worse.” Just fantastic writing. There's something about that line that's just.....mmmmm.

I do have some problems with how it's constructed, though. Your first paragraph is great. It's very lyrical, and there's a rhythm to it. But when the dialogue starts up, there's a completely different rhythm. There's something about writing dialogue, at least the kind of sharp-yet-realistic balance you're doing, that is off the rhythm of the opening, and it makes for an awkward transition.

I'm not really sure what I'm suggesting here, since both sections are good; they just stand out from each other. Maybe sprinkle some of the opening paragraph in as lengthy dialogue tags?

Some of the things Theo says are very pretentious. No one today says "no beneficial gains" in 'normal' conversation, and it is quite charming, but it isn't consistent enough. I'm not sure if this is on purpose; if it is, it might need to be a more consistent part of his character, since he also uses colloquialisms like "Hah." If you're going for a story in which both characters speak closer to how they write, I'd go a bit more all-in on that by changing the modern-sounding lines (that's . . . really weird, gonna, etc.).

Don't get me wrong; the dialogue is well-written, except for a few notable examples.

"By the way, why do you always do that?" is awkward. In general, "By the way" can be cut out of any line it's in, and this is no exception.

There are some line-by-line fixes. "But if there was anybody who would listen to him, it’d be Elle and some stories, over time had gathered too much weight in his heart" needs editing for clarity, and you spell "breath" as "breathe" once. You did a very good job on grammar overall, though.

In general, I really like the format of having Theo relate his relationship story after the fact. The writing really has an edge to it and makes we want to keep going. Keep up the great work!

Apricity says...

Hey Luke! Thanks so much for your review, I can definitely see what you mean that different parts of the story had a different rhythm to the other parts. As for Theo, I agree that his speech is inconsistent as well I kinda wrote this off the bat which is probably why his character seems somewhat inconsistent.

Thank you again for taking your time to review this!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Hi Wisteria!

I think the biggest strength of this story is the dialogue. Your characters speak to each other so easily, and do such a good job of moving the story along just by what they're saying. It's so so hard to write good, tight dialogue like this and I'm a little bit jealous, honestly!

I did, however, often find myself confused. I think there are two parts to this confusion that, if you could answer them within the story, would make this much stronger overall.

First, I'm pretty confused about Girl and their relationship to Theo. I don't really understand how they met or came to be involved with each other. I thought they were in a romantic relationship, but the end of the story makes it sound like they had more of a flirtation-turned-one-night-stand. I also don't really understand whether they're still together or not, whether Theo ever confronted her about the cigarette burn, or how he really feels about the burn.

Second, the way the story moves into the first scene is a bit abrupt and confusing. I don't really know where they are (it's clear they're cleaning up the morning after a party, but what party? Who threw it? Why are they the ones cleaning up?) or how long they've been there doing this. I'm also a bit vague on Elle's involvement in the history of Theo and Girl's relationship.

The only other thing I want to point out isn't something that's confusing, but something I'm super interested in. Toward the end of the story, Theo says

‘yeah, it really did. And that really wasn’t what bothered me the most, it was the disjunction between who I thought she was and this sudden new image of her. The surreal yet uncomfortable reality of what had trespassed. God Elle, it was like a slap in the face, except ten times worse.”

I'm fascinated by this, and think this is the heart of the story you're trying to tell. Are there ways you can draw this out more? How can you weave this sentiment into all parts of the story, not just this one section? I'd love to see what else you have to say about this via this story. Hitting on a little nugget of wisdom like this is the best thing fiction can do, and hard to force in intentionally. Get all the mileage you can out of it!

Otherwise, this was a lovely read! Your writing is tight, language-wise, it's just a matter of arranging the story and clearing up some confusion to make it as clean and straightforward as possible.

Thanks for sharing! Keep writing.

--Lauren

Apricity says...

Hey Lauren, thank you so much for reviewing this and offering practical critical advice. x.x I didn't plan this enough and didn't quite know how to weave in the background stuff, and I agree that the initial transition is too rough too. I will definitely take these suggestions with me when I redraft this and in future writing as well.

Thanks so much again! <3

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm
AudreyHancoff says...

Your romance story is so sweet!

Apricity says...

Thanks Audrey, I'm glad you enjoyed it. c:

We join for the writing and stay for the community!
— Horisun