Mislead to Love

by EmilyRMaiorano

I do not believe in love

Never am I to share the overwhelming affection

Or revel in a kiss

For it is only a hoax

A phenomenon poets invented

To entice us into this hopeless search

They manipulated this concept to be so captivating

That it must have been experienced to be so tangible in their words

I have channeled them so deeply

That I uncovered their lie

A longing that became religion

Until each prayer only manifested in dreams

But love is just desire

A condescending conspiracy

Driven with the need to be included

Love is just an excuse

It is suppressed emotion

That is so undiagnosable

We look to fiction

Love is not a bonding force

Or an act of forgiveness

Or a revelation

It is just a deception

It is only a syllable

With an empty definition

It is the enigma

Of desperate writers

Whose heightened philosophy

Captured just as lonesome minds

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review.

A longing that became religion
I think that you should replace 'religion' with 'religious' to describe the longing instead of using another noun there.

Captured just as lonesome minds
I don't like the phrase 'just as lonesome minds' here because you hadn't described anything else as lonesome, so it falls apart a little bit. I would simply say 'lonesome minds' or even add in the adjective 'desperate' or something like that if you wanted the line to be longer

My favorite part of this is when you talked about how love was just an excuse. I thought that was pretty profound and deep, because I've never seen that thought discussed before and I thought it was a great addition to your poem. Well done.

My critique, however, is how it doesn't seem to have any sort of meter or rhyme. Up towards the top, your lines stretched across the entire page. However, towards the end it got so short there were only three words or so down towards the bottom, and that made the poem read a little choppily.

Overall, you had an interesting new idea that had obviously been touched on by some other poets, but the way you talked about it was very original and you brought some new ideas to the table and made it less cliche than the typical mournful discussion of how love was such an adventure/ the ruin of mankind, so good job on that, and keep writing! If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to clear them up!

Best wishes,
MJ

This review brought to you in part by Team Summer

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:25 am
Rodger says...

This is deep, l agree when you say that "Love is just a desire"

RainaDee wrote a review...

Hello EmilyRMaiorano! I'm stopping by for a quick review! I like your poem and the idea behind it. So many people talk about love being the driving force of life, however you went and said, "Love is a lie." I enjoyed how different it was from most romantic poetry because it was pretty much, in my view, antiromantic. The only thing that needs a little tweeking is your stanzas (I have problems with them too). For this poem I think instead of having your poem being line by line, if that makes any sense, you might try just writing it how you would a normal story. I'm not saying that it's necessary because it is your poem and you can write it how you want :) In short, I like your poem and think it's great. Keep up your awesome writting! :D

myjaspercat wrote a review...

Hey there EmilyRMaiorano,
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review.

I do not believe in love Place a period here. I think that having this line as a single sentence will hit a good emotion.
Or revel in a kiss Two things; one place a period here and two lowercase the 'or' at the beginning of the line.
For it is only a hoax *Insert comma*
A phenomenon poets invented
To entice us into this hopeless search What hopeless search? Also place a period here and lowercase the beginning of the past two lines.
That it must have been experienced *insert comma* to be so tangible in their words *insert comma*
[but] I have channeled them so deeply
That I uncovered their lie *insert period*
A longing that became religion
Until each prayer only manifested in dreams *Insert period* Okay, I'm slightly confused in these last two lines. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the 'lie' that you uncovered here, but I don't think it really flows well. It's rather odd reading to me. Maybe you could add something like 'it was [...]' at the beginning of the first line.
But love is just [a] desire *insert comma*
A condescending conspiracy
Driven with the need to be included *insert period* Lowercase this line and the previous one.
Love is just an excuse
It is [a] suppressed emotion
That is so undiagnosable This thought feels a little underdeveloped. For me at least, it reads like it's supposed to be "[...] un-diagnosable, but..." but there's no but and I'm just left here wondering.
We look to fiction What do we look to fiction for. I'm assuming love as that's what the topic of the poem is, but I would like to see a little more.
Love is not a bonding force *insert comma*
Or an act of forgiveness I would remove the 'or' from this line. *insert comma*
Or a revelation *insert period.*
It is just a deception Hyphen or comma here, I would use a hyphen personally.
It is only a syllable
With an empty definition *insert period.*
It is the enigma
Of desperate writers
Whose heightened philosophy
[is(?)]Captured just as lonesome minds

Ok, so for the most part, I really liked this idea of love. Normally I say love poetry is cliché, but that's because it is. Typically it's written with over used ideas and images on what love is, however with this piece I think it's really cool how you completely turned those ideas upside down. So kudos to you there. The main thing I felt need working on was the formatting, so that's good. Particularly, work on adding in punctuation and lowercasing lines. I like to say that unless the line is the beginning of a sentence [or some how necessary/ stylistically chosen] you should lowercase it. Remember to have commas, periods, etcetera as well so your readers know when to breath and a pause. Other then that, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill