The Rings(chapter#1/ Part #2)

by Rinos

Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned to hours. Within what felt like no time at all Dylan and his classmates were put onto a new bus, and were on the way to his school, or as what he referred to as a living hell on earth.

Although, the school itself wasn't the problem. It was the unrelenting teenagers. It never failed, whenever Dylan did anything out of the ordinary, or anything out of his comfort level for that matter. People seemed to notice, and not in a good way. For weeks on end, he took constant patronizing attacks from the so called popular kids.

He would watch as the teens would make a fool of themselves, yet, somehow they never got the same criticism and hatred that he himself did.

"Hey, scrub!" The sudden voice broke Dylan's concentration.

He looked up, noticing a young blonde girl leaning over the seat in front of him. Her bright blue eyes were alight with excitement. "Those eyes..." Dylan's mind informed him. Olivia was the most beautiful girl at the school, and yet she was the only one to befriend the young brown haired boy.

"He... Hey, Olivia."

"Shhh! Don't be awkward, dude!" Dylan scolded himself.

"Soooo, What was that whole ring thing about?"

Dylan noticed her glancing down at his pocket. "Oh, you saw that?" Dylan pulled out the ring holding it up to the light.

Olivia's expression changed to one of pure shock, but only for a moment before slipping back into her usual cheerful grin.

"What?" Dylan laughed nervously

"Oh, nothing just didn't think guys like you wore rings that's all." Olivia seemed uncertain about her response.

Dylan gave her a long hard glare, looking for any changes in her emotion. However, to his surprize, she stared right back at him.

Dylan felt his mouth dry up and his heart begin to race. Before he knew it her face was only inches away from his. "Kiss her." His mind ordered him.

Suddenly the bus jolted to a stop. "Alright everyone off!" Mr. Jones barked.

Dylan glanced out his window, only to see what he dreaded more than anything, school.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 pm
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review.

I'm going to copy-paste the entire work and then put my comments in blue and my corrections in red, as well as put a strike through anything I think should be taken out

Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned to hours. Within what felt like no time at all Dylan and his classmates were put onto a new bus, and were on the way to his school, or as what he referred to as a living hell on earth.a hell on earth[/s] [color=blue]Okay, so you just said that seconds turned into minutes, and minutes turned to hours, and then you jumped forward in time, saying that it felt instantaneous. Those don't really line up for me, so I would just take the first sentence out.

Although, the school itself wasn't the problem. It was the unrelenting teenagers. TheyIt never failedto bully him, whenever Dylan did anything out of the ordinary, or anything out of his comfort level for that matter. People seemed to notice, and not in a good way. For weeks on end, he took constant patronizing attacks from the so called popular kids.

He would watch as the teens would make a fool of themselves, yet, somehow they never got the same criticism and hatred that he himself did.THIS. THIS IS SOO GOOD. KEEP THIS, WHATEVER YOU DO. It's relatable and perfectly sums up what Dylan is going through.

"Hey, scrub!" The sudden voice broke Dylan's concentration.What was he concentrating on?

He looked up, noticing a young blonde girl leaning over the seat in front of him. Her bright blue eyes were alight with excitement. "Those eyes..." Dylan's mind informed him.This is really weird and quite frankly makes absolutely no sense. Totally killed the mood. Olivia was the most beautiful girl at the school, and yet she was the only one to befriend the young brown haired boy.

"He... Hey, Olivia."

"What?" Dylan laughed nervously

"Oh, nothing, just didn't think guys like you wore rings, that's all." Olivia seemed uncertain about her response.It might be helpful to mention what Olivia was doing instead of telling the reader that Olivia was uncertain. Maybe she's fidgeting with something, or she's avoiding eye contact. That will be stronger than just telling the reader. Show, don't tell.

So besides what I covered in that review, there are a few things here that I wanted to talk about. The first would be showing instead of telling, whenever possible. It will make your characters come alive a little bit more, because right now they seem like the typical, flat teenagers that you see going to school and happened upon a secret. There's nothing that really endears them to my heart, and I think you need to work to change that.

The way Dylan talked to himself was also a little bit strange. Usually, when authors want to signify that the character is thinking something, they use italics. It will make it seem a little less harsh, and is just conventional. To do it in BB code, you would do and stick the text you want italicized in between the sets of brackets, like this:
Dylan thinks this.

I also agree with Samk642 that this should be longer and expand more on the scene, on how the characters are feeling, what they do, how they feel about it, what happens to them, their unique perspectives and memories. Just make it longer by adding in the what, why, where, when, who, and hows of writing, and then you'll have a more full-sized novel on your hands.

That's all I have for you today! Hopefully this review was helpful, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to clear it up. Until then, keep writing!

Best wishes,
MJ

Rinos says...

Thanks for the feedback! Just a disclaimer. I wrote this as a shorter back half of the chapter I had already wrote. I understand if that was confusing, but that's why I put chapter 1 part 2 to try and make it clear. Next time ill upload the whole chapter together.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:37 am
Samk642 wrote a review...

Samk642 here again!! Back as I promised!!!

First thing that stuck out. This was so short. Last chapter was fantastic, and had great quality AND length. This has some quality, but not much length. Give me some substance!!! Next on the list. Dialogue. Now, I know it can be hard, but unless it is a play script, interjection from another person, or you just can't possibly manage 3 sentences, don't do a new paragraph for each sentence from the different characters. Beef up there speech, give us more of there thoughts, describe the people, or the sights, smells, etc. More. I don't mean to be harsh though when I write that. I want you to be able to say, this is my best possible job. It's your story. I just want to help make it immersing.

I liked it though! Pm or tag me for the next chapter!!

Samk642 out!!

Rinos says...

Samk642 says...

No prob!!

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana